PDA

View Full Version : Ok...I Went... :)

racer2c
10-05-10, 12:53 PM
On vacation this week down in the Keys (3 nights in Key Largo 4 nights in Key West) so the timing worked that we stopped to catch the race on our way down. Got there at 5:00pm (two hours to green flag) and questioned if this was a night race or just Saturday practice because, well, we're were 2 of about 12 people. There were 5 merchandise trailers, Penske, TCGR, Danicles and 2 for track swag. I never saw a single person at ANY of the trailers. A sad, sad contrast to my first few CART races in Cleveland and Naz with fans 10 deep at every trailer. The paddock was empty of fans also.

At 6 we went to find our seats and to watch the so called 'pre-show' which was really just the f16 fly overs (which was cool, they did about 6 passes!).
about 10 miunutes before the green flag the stands did fill in, but they only had the a few sections opened, so while it seemed packed from my perspective, in reality it was only 20K or so packed into two or three sections.

We had good seats and could watch the cars all the way around the track. I haven't been to an oval since Naz so that was kinda cool. The drone of the cars becomes very irritating about half way through. I brought ear plugs knowing that I would want them, but my wife refused and regretted it!

The crowd seemed more comprised of race fans (most in NASCAR and F1 attire) than at the St Pete Indy Car race and they were overwhelmingly TK fans. The entire crowd stood for most of the race and I can honeslty say they cheered more than any other Indy Car race I've been to (mainly for TK, Danika and Helio and when Dario did his donuts).

Methanolandbrats
10-05-10, 01:27 PM
That sounds like a horrible experience. :yuck: Did you get in free?

Gnam
10-05-10, 01:53 PM
How much time did you spend with the masses under the grandstands?

Indy
10-05-10, 07:13 PM
So, how were the Keys?

Cam
10-05-10, 07:26 PM
I miss my yearly trip to the Keys. :cry:

Chief
10-05-10, 09:05 PM
So, the experience? You've been to other open wheel events....rate it.:tony:

devilmaster
10-05-10, 10:18 PM
why did you bring r2c back? (no real reason asking, just curious i guess)

Indy
10-06-10, 03:02 AM
Probably too embarrassed to admit "Sean" went to an IRL race.

Don Quixote
10-06-10, 10:08 AM
Probably too embarrassed to admit "Sean" went to an IRL race.
Obviously, evidenced by the hidden identity in the pictures. :D

racer2c
10-06-10, 10:29 AM
Chief - As an event I'd rate it as a 2 (on a 1 - 10 scale). It seemed like a pre-season football game for a crappy team.
On the plus side, it seemed like it was put on for our benefit. No lines...fantastic, strike that, phenomenal weather... great seats. It only took 10 minutes to get out of the track and five minutes of that was walking to the car!!
The race itself was typical IRL. I miss the CART days (who doesn't) when the last 20 laps the guys would start really pushing. You could see and hear the difference as the laps wound down. With an IRL race, it's the same from the green flag on. The car just doesn't have the reserve, which I think makes for an anticlimactic finish. It truly is NASCAR with open wheels.
I paid for the top seats ($55 each). Lesser seats were $35. If they had general admission tickets for $15 they might have had twice the crowd. The people who did show up where definitely race fans, unlike St Pete where they are just curious about the beach volley ball.

The Keys were fantastic!!! The weather couldn't be better.