PDA

View Full Version : Article I wrote is posted on Jalopnik...

Rogue Leader
10-03-10, 03:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to promote an article I
wrote for Jalopnik.com for their "America's Next Top Car Blogger"
contest. I hope you all can check it out, and feel free to give me any
feedback good, bad, or otherwise. The more unique hits I get the better
so please share it with everyone!

Heres the link:

http://jalopnik.com/5654286/objects-in-mirror-are-closer-than-they-appear-because-they-are-passing-you

Thanks All!

trish
10-03-10, 03:44 PM
They make you buy insurance don't they?

I enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing.

extramundane
10-03-10, 04:14 PM
I'll give you $5 to punch Ray Wert in the marblebag. :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
10-03-10, 04:33 PM
They make you buy insurance don't they?

I enjoyed reading it, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment.

During the racing school you're actually completely covered. I paid like $2700 to go (got a deal) and did $6000 in damage to the car, so they actually lost money on me. After that you have a deductible, and that deductible raises based on your ability as per the instructors evaluation.

They make you carry a $1000 deposit with them all the time, the minimum initial deductible is like $2500 I think then $5000, and so on (they may have raised them since then). Whats funny is even though I wrecked they still ranked me at the minimum deductible level, so apparently they thought my accidents were just that.

SteveH
10-03-10, 04:59 PM
At least you did it. Must have been a thrill. Good article. :thumbup:

Rogue Leader
10-04-10, 12:39 PM
I'll give you $5 to punch Ray Wert in the marblebag. :thumbup:

I'd love to hear the story behind this comment.

BarillaGirl
10-04-10, 02:04 PM

Agreed. That's a lead sentence that deserves half an hour of backstory.

extramundane
10-04-10, 02:40 PM

Not nearly as exciting as it sounds. He's a doucherocket in excelsis* who, in a quest for pageviews, gutted the soul of a once-great site and in the process drove off his best writers and commenters. I can think of at least 3 former writers who have zero positive to say about the man, and my admittedly limited personal experience with him jives completely with their accounts.

Plus, when he got busted using his multiple commenting accounts on another automotive blog to harass the editors, he de-starred and threatened to ban anyone who brought it up.

*Insert "Takes one to know one" here
/O'Gorman

Rogue Leader
10-04-10, 04:06 PM
Not nearly as exciting as it sounds. He's a doucherocket in excelsis* who, in a quest for pageviews, gutted the soul of a once-great site and in the process drove off his best writers and commenters. I can think of at least 3 former writers who have zero positive to say about the man, and my admittedly limited personal experience with him jives completely with their accounts.

Plus, when he got busted using his multiple commenting accounts on another automotive blog to harass the editors, he de-starred and threatened to ban anyone who brought it up.

*Insert "Takes one to know one" here
/O'Gorman

Interesting...

I've been wondering about the most recent exodus of staff, I know one guy got a job at Motor Trend, but then to lose two others in a matter of months. Is this what you're talking about as well?

extramundane
10-04-10, 05:23 PM
Interesting...

I've been wondering about the most recent exodus of staff, I know one guy got a job at Motor Trend, but then to lose two others in a matter of months. Is this what you're talking about as well?

No, I don't really know what was behind the latest round of departures, but I've,,,heard,,,, that at least one of that group left for similar reasons. The folks I meant have been gone much longer.