PDA

View Full Version : Segway chief dies in cliff plunge

SurfaceUnits
09-30-10, 12:37 PM
Jimi Heselden, the owner of Segway, has died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river, according to reports.

According to the BBC, Heselden, 61, died yesterday after crashing into the River Wharfe. The incident took place on his West Yorkshire estate and has thus far been deemed an accident. Segways are not legal to use on British roads and are restricted to use on private property.

Heselden, who had already been an investor in the U.K. Segway dealership, bought the company at the end of 2009. The devices were launched in 2001 by inventor Dean Kamen, eliciting claims of revolutionizing transport at the time but ultimately failing to catch on beyond a niche base of tour groups and the wealthy.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20017681-92.html?tag=rtcol;pop#ixzz111uufQUK

RaceGrrl
10-01-10, 01:48 PM
I saw that news story and the only thing I could think of was the Monty Python skit where a criminal is chased off a cliff by a bunch of topless women. I'm not going to link it here, you'll have to find the video yourself. :)

TrueBrit
10-01-10, 01:50 PM
I saw that news story and the only thing I could think of was the Monty Python skit where a criminal is chased off a cliff by a bunch of topless women. I'm not going to link it here, you'll have to find the video yourself. :)

Every time I read this story I start laughing because I'm thinking the same exact thing...it's horrible I know, by all accounts he was quite the decent bloke..but there's just something about flying off the edge of a cliff on a Segway that makes me giggle like an idiot...

cameraman
10-01-10, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I felt like an ass when I laughed as I read the story.

TravelGal
10-01-10, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I felt like an ass when I laughed as I read the story.

Yeah, me too.

dando
10-01-10, 03:20 PM

The Meaning of Life. :thumbup: So much goodness in that flick. :D

-Kevin

TrueBrit
10-01-10, 04:11 PM
The Meaning of Life. :thumbup: So much goodness in that flick. :D

-Kevin

...."and finally Monsieur a wafer-thin mint?"...

dando
10-01-10, 05:25 PM

Englishmen, you're all so ****ing pompous. None of you have got any balls.

Shut up, you American. You Americans, all you do is talk, and talk, and say "let me tell you something" and "I just wanna say." Well, you're dead now, so shut up.

;) :p

-Kevin

nrc
10-01-10, 07:47 PM

"Oh, it's only waafer thin."

RaceGrrl
10-01-10, 08:40 PM
"Well.... all right....."

"Bon. Appetit."

Methanolandbrats
10-01-10, 10:08 PM
Every time I read this story I start laughing because I'm thinking the same exact thing...it's horrible I know, by all accounts he was quite the decent bloke..but there's just something about flying off the edge of a cliff on a Segway that makes me giggle like an idiot...

Ya, I laughed too. It's sad, but can you just see that thing pitching off the cliff with him standing on it. The irony is the thing was supposed to keep the rider from falling :D

High Sided
10-02-10, 12:27 AM
it was a new atv proto-type

http://www.newsy.com/videos/segway-owner-dies-in-segway-crash/?gclid=COzx6eOqs6QCFR7X5wodn1ij0g

G.
10-02-10, 01:15 AM
Ya, I laughed too. It's sad, but can you just see that thing pitching off the cliff with him standing on it. The irony is the thing was supposed to keep the rider from falling :DI wonder if it kept him upright all the way to the ground...

TravelGal
10-02-10, 02:07 PM
I wonder if it kept him upright all the way to the ground...

What a "straight" line. Badda bing.

Methanolandbrats
10-02-10, 02:47 PM
I wonder if it kept him upright all the way to the ground...

The bottom is pretty heavy, so ya, it would be like riding a lawn dart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0