PDA

View Full Version : WWI soon to be over for the Germans

Elmo T
09-29-10, 09:26 AM
WWI will soon be over for Germany when they pay off the last of their reparations. Puts those student loans in perspective!

For Germany, WWI finally ends on Sunday (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39415550/ns/world_news-europe/)

The final 70 million euro ($94 million) installment will close a 92-year chapter that saw Germany plunge into totalitarian dictatorship and trigger a second world war that ended with its division during four decades of Cold War.

"On Sunday the last bill is due and the First World War finally, financially at least, terminates for Germany," the country's biggest-selling newspaper, Bild, said on Tuesday.

The Treaty of Versailles, a peace settlement signed by Germany and the Allies in 1919, made Germany solely responsible for World War One, requiring it to pay reparations for the damage done to the Allied countries and peoples between 1914 and 1918.

extramundane
09-29-10, 10:28 AM
There's a large contingent of folks in these parts who seem to think the Civil War hasn't ended yet, so this is actually pretty quick.

TrueBrit
09-29-10, 11:05 AM
I have to admit that I am surprised that Jerry didn't tell us to eff off after WWII...I had no idea they were still paying the debt created by the 'Rise of Hilter and WWII Creation Act' aka the Versailles Treaty.

dando
09-29-10, 11:16 AM
There's a large contingent of folks in these parts who seem to think the Civil War hasn't ended yet

It's not. (Having followed a p/u truck with a 3 sticker and Confederate flag sticker the other day) :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
09-29-10, 11:27 AM
It's not. (Having followed a p/u truck with a 3 sticker and Confederate flag sticker the other day) :saywhat:

-Kevin

Nice to see we've exported some of our citizenry. It shouldn't be long 'til you start seeing trucks with Confederate flag AND American flag stickers.