PDA

View Full Version : UFC 119

WickerBill
09-25-10, 10:12 AM
Does anyone here follow UFC or MMA in general?

I have never watched a PPV or gone to a show, but tonight they're at Conseco and I have been gifted a ticket in the 8th row. Reason? A guy I've known since he was in grade school is making his UFC debut.

So, any quick pointers on being a discriminating fan of MMA?

Methanolandbrats
09-25-10, 10:51 AM
Arrive drunk and angry?

dando
09-25-10, 10:54 AM
You might be the only one there with a full set of teeth? :gomer: Absolutely no interest in UFC or MMA.

-Kevin

Cam
09-25-10, 05:44 PM
MMA to me is "Mickey Mouse Airlines". Used to be a regional carrier here.

Edit: not really into pugilism in any form.

Indy
09-25-10, 06:34 PM
Savagery as entertainment for the dumbest in our society.

Horrible.

cameraman
09-25-10, 08:56 PM
The 21st century gladiators. I've never watched even though it is a large percentage of the Versus schedule, somehow I've managed to always miss it. Just like the IRL races. Go figure.

WickerBill
09-26-10, 02:30 AM
Supportive bunch, you are. :)

cameraman
09-26-10, 12:21 PM
So how was the show?

WickerBill
09-26-10, 01:28 PM
My buddy broke a dude's elbow in his win. There was quite a bit of bleeding. Other than that, I'm not really sure what I saw.

Methanolandbrats
09-26-10, 02:38 PM
My buddy broke a dude's elbow in his win. There was quite a bit of bleeding. Other than that, I'm not really sure what I saw.

Tell your buddy you won't walk his dog when he gets knocked stupid :gomer:

Insomniac
09-27-10, 09:55 AM

I'm cringing just reading that.

dando
09-27-10, 10:10 AM
I'm cringing just reading that.

-Joe Theismann

Fixed. ;)

-Kevin

emjaya
09-27-10, 09:22 PM

Did you enjoy it? That's the question.

WickerBill
09-28-10, 01:50 PM
There is no good answer for that question based on the earlier comments. If I say yes, I'm a bloodthirsty barbarian, if I say no, that means I didn't enjoy watching my buddy succeed.

Insomniac
09-28-10, 03:03 PM
How about an honest answer?

Personally, I don't think I could watch a whole event just for fear of what could happen (gruesome injury wise), but I also went looking for the video of Mir knocking out Cro-Cop after I read about it.

It's like football in a way. I love the sport and strategy, but it really sucks people can (and do) get seriously injured.

Or racing sort of, I don't watch for the injuries (or wrecks).

cameraman
09-28-10, 03:25 PM
but I also went looking for the video of Mir knocking out Cro-Cop after I read about it.

You made me look:p

As for the UFC I can't say that I'd be a fan as I don't go for the whole pummeling the guy on the ground after the clear ko or tko. But I'm not into boxing either so...

I will say that those guys are doing their brains and their life expectancy no favors fighting like that. Taking shots to the head in any sport is bad but what those guys do is waaaay over the top.

WickerBill
09-28-10, 04:26 PM
I enjoyed watching my friend win.

McCorkle vs. Hunt (http://www.mma-core.com/videos/_Mark_Hunt_vs_Sean_McCorkle_UFC_119?vid=10012671&tid=100)

There were a couple of other good fights and some pretty poor ones. I guess I enjoyed it, but I'm glad the ticket was free...

Gangrel
10-03-10, 07:50 PM
Hey...call me a bloodthirsty barbarian if you want then...but I spent 15 years training martial arts, 12 years teaching it...and I have been watching UFC since 1994. You think it's savage now? You should have seen it when it was bare knuckle, no weight class, no time limit, virtually no rules (no biting or eye gouging pretty much summed it up)...oh, yeah...and they fough the thing as a one-night, single elimination tournament!

These days, with hand pads, weight classes, 5 min rounds, judges, scorecards, championship belts....actually, it has gotten pretty tame...

Last week's event was a good one to watch. All but two fights went to a decision, and the only fight that was a snoozer was the main event.

*ducks the flame throwers*

There is no good answer for that question based on the earlier comments. If I say yes, I'm a bloodthirsty barbarian, if I say no, that means I didn't enjoy watching my buddy succeed.

Methanolandbrats
10-03-10, 07:54 PM
I think it's a good idea that those crazy ****ers have a place to fight instead of busting up bars, clogging the court system and hurting people who don't want to get hurt.

dando
10-03-10, 08:06 PM
Hey...call me a bloodthirsty barbarian if you want then...but I spent 15 years training martial arts, 12 years teaching it...and I have been watching UFC since 1994. You think it's savage now? You should have seen it when it was Fight Club.

Shortened that for ya. ;)

-Kevin

Gangrel
10-03-10, 11:42 PM
Shortened that for ya. ;)

-Kevin

lol yeah, kinda' like that...