PDA

View Full Version : Museum Day

Insomniac
09-24-10, 10:48 AM
Tomorrow is Museum Day. For anyone who hasn't heard of it:

Museum Day is an annual event hosted by Smithsonian Media in which participating museums across the country open their doors for free to anyone presenting a Museum Day Ticket.

You can print your ticket(s) and find a list of participating museums at the website.

http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/

It's a good way to see a museum you normally wouldn't at no cost.

racer2c
09-24-10, 11:06 AM
I was spoiled having lived just outside DC for most of my life with the practically endless supply of free museums/zoo/parks to visit. When I moved to another state the sticker shock first came at the local zoo...$100 to get 5 adults in. :eek:

Insomniac
09-24-10, 10:43 PM
DC is awesome for all that. I just realized you went back to posting as r2c. Mixing it up?

racer2c
09-25-10, 04:20 PM
DC is awesome for all that. I just realized you went back to posting as r2c. Mixing it up?

Hiding. :D

Gnam
09-27-10, 12:48 AM
I moved a clothes dryer and found some ancient lint. Does that count? :gomer:

Imagine a world where they served beer inside museums...

chop456
09-27-10, 06:29 AM
Imagine a world where they served beer inside museums...

It's called a private event. Highly recommended. :D

cameraman
09-27-10, 09:33 AM

Did one of those at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. There is no better way to see that place than as a spouse of an attendee when all the "working" folk are hanging out by the food talking shop. That left me and a couple dozen others to wander a silent aquarium. I can't say enough about the experience, an absolute joy.

Elmo T
09-27-10, 09:43 AM
That left me and a couple dozen others to wander a silent aquarium. I can't say enough about the experience, an absolute joy.

While we didn't have the ability to roam all over, we had similar experiences at the National Air and Space Museum in DC. They show IMAX movies in the evening after the museum closes. We'd exit the museum on the second floor around 9PM. It was very cool walking through the museum - empty and in near silence. :thumbup:

G.
09-27-10, 01:12 PM
I spilled a gin-n-tonic on one of the mummies in the Field. :rofl:

(it was in plexiglass, no harm. Except I needed another drink.)

Methanolandbrats
09-27-10, 01:35 PM
I spilled a gin-n-tonic on one of the mummies in the Field. :rofl:

(it was in plexiglass, no harm. Except I needed another drink.)

Do never **** with a mummy....that almost always causes fatal mojo, you are lucky to be alive :gomer:

oddlycalm
09-27-10, 05:30 PM
never **** with a mummy....that almost always causes fatal mojo, you are lucky to be alive :gomer:

Sharing a drink with a mummy seems more like an offering rather than offense...:laugh:

oc