PDA

View Full Version : smartcar smarter?

G.
09-20-10, 01:35 PM
F1 designer Gordon Murray unveils lightweight city car (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11301831)

Imagine a car so narrow that two can drive next to each other in one lane; a car so small and short that three can park in one parking space.

Now imagine that the car is built in a shed from glass fibre, recycled plastic bottles and hollow steel tubes, using just a fifth of the material required to build a conventional car.

Such a vehicle would have the potential to prevent gridlock on the world's roads as the number of cars quadruples to 2.5 billion by 2020.

It could also help hundreds of millions of people achieve their dream of owning a car, without depleting scarce resources such as water, energy or steel.

Well, that car has been made.

It seats three, weighs just 575kg, has a top speed of almost 100mph and is expected to cost about £6,000 ($9,000).

KLang
09-20-10, 01:56 PM
Around here, the pick-ups and SUV's would squash that like a bug. :laugh:

BarillaGirl
09-20-10, 02:04 PM

Having been in a very traumatic accident in a well-made car, I wouldn't go near a car half a lane wide. That sounds terrifying. :eek::eek: Maybe if they had their own network of (recycled!) rubber roads I'd think about it.

Elmo T
09-20-10, 03:11 PM

We've got a few Smartcars running around these parts. Happily, I've haven't seen any involved in any incidents.

Our general thought is that being "green" won't change the laws of physics when it does happen. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
09-20-10, 03:11 PM
The Smart car is stupid enough.

BarillaGirl
09-20-10, 03:26 PM
The Smart car is stupid enough.

...so, not lining up for the Smarterer car? :gomer:

cameraman
09-20-10, 03:30 PM
If he designs an F1 spec tub into it I'll think about it...

Methanolandbrats
09-20-10, 03:57 PM
If he designs an F1 spec tub into it I'll think about it...

If he hangs on F1 lump on it, I'll think about it.

Insomniac
09-21-10, 11:27 AM
Would be ideal for a place that has fewer large cars/SUVs right now (China/India). Scary proposition here since you can't rely on other's to drive safely/responsibly in much larger vehicles.

cameraman
09-21-10, 11:36 AM
Would be ideal for a place that has fewer large cars/SUVs right now (China/India). Scary proposition here since you can't rely on other's to drive safely/responsibly in much larger vehicles.

I followed some stupid wench in a Yukon for a while this morning, the rear view mirror was pointed at the ceiling, the driver's side mirror was angled to the ground, the passenger side mirror gave an excellent view of the rear seat of her truck, the cell phone was riveted to her head which never once moved from staring straight ahead.

She had mad merging skills I tell you, just mad skilz :saywhat::shakehead:flame:

stroker
09-21-10, 02:04 PM
From what I've heard there are potholes big enough to swallow that thing.