PDA

View Full Version : rental car impressions

Don Quixote
09-15-10, 01:59 PM
Anyway, these are my impressions of some of the pos's I have been renting this year. My approach is to always rent a subcompact, which they hardly ever have. They ask if I want to upgrade, and I say no. Then they upgrade me anyway for free because all they have are midsize. Every now and then I get stuck with a subcompact and I just live with it. These are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Results may reflect the mood I was in at the time. Past results are no guarantee for future performance. How about the rest of you?

Impala :thumbup:
Versa :thumdown: x 5
Malabu :thumdown:
Sebring :thumdown:
Charger :thumbup:
HHR :thumbup:
Corolla :thumdown:
Taurus :thumbup:

extramundane
09-15-10, 02:44 PM
I drove an almost-new ( < 4k miles) rental Pontiac Vibe from VA to Boston and back (Insert :saywhat: here). It ran quite nicely on the way up, but by the time I hit the NJTP on the return trip, the slushbox felt extra slushy. Not awful but not great either. I suspect the higher HP engine + manual combo would have been a lot more fun.

Methanolandbrats
09-15-10, 03:22 PM
Anyway, these are my impressions of some of the pos's I have been renting this year. My approach is to always rent a subcompact, which they hardly ever have. They ask if I want to upgrade, and I say no. Then they upgrade me anyway for free because all they have are midsize. Every now and then I get stuck with a subcompact and I just live with it. These are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head. Results may reflect the mood I was in at the time. Past results are no guarantee for future performance. How about the rest of you?

Which one did the best burnout?

cameraman
09-15-10, 03:42 PM
So what was wrong with the Nissan Versa? It seems to be quite the outlier.

Why does outlier look like it is spelled wrong when it isn't:saywhat: at least the font size looks correct:shakehead.

Don Quixote
09-15-10, 04:11 PM
Which one did the best burnout?

None of the above, but not for lack of trying. :D The Charger was the closet thing to it with a 4.7 liter v8 (they never have the 5.7 liter in the rentals).

Steve99
09-15-10, 04:12 PM

Does that mean your rented it five times and disliked it every time, or are you giving it 5 thumbs down?

If the latter, how do you use a computer if you have 5 thumbs?

Don Quixote
09-15-10, 04:16 PM
So what was wrong with the Nissan Versa? It seems to be quite the outlier. Where do I start? The check engine light was on, and the car had 900 miles on it. :saywhat: As I was driving through the gate I pointed it out to the Avis dude. He said don't worry about it, they all do that. Then the car would shift randomly as you drove down the road, and was worse when you accelerate down the freeway ramp shifting in and out of passing gear on 1 second intervals. The fit and finish was so bad on that car that the front door had to be open to close the back door on the driver's side. Maybe it was just a lemon, but maybe not. :\ On the plus side the MPG was awesome. :gomer:

Don Quixote
09-15-10, 04:17 PM
Does that mean your rented it five times and disliked it every time, or are you giving it 5 thumbs down?

If the latter, how do you use a computer if you have 5 thumbs? One rental, 5 thumbs. My own two and three borrowed from friends. :)

Methanolandbrats
09-15-10, 04:31 PM
Was the valve train lubrication test performed on each car? When it's cold you put your foot on the floor and start it. Hold it at WOT for 30 seconds or until the valve and lifter noises cease. Don't ever buy a rental car :D

Indy
09-15-10, 05:44 PM
Regarding the current Chevrolets, I have driven the current iterations of the Impala (rental), Malibu (test drive), and HHR (rental).

The Impala was absolute garbage.

The Malibu was much better than I expected. Not a driver's car, but a very nice family car. The difference in GM design quality from the time the current Impala was designed to the time the current Malibu was designed is huge.

The HHR was fun, and it was also very versatile. It drives more like a small van than like a car, I thought, so I was not comfortable pushing it very hard, but overall very decent basic transportation.

I also owned a 2009 Silverado, which was easily the best truck I ever owned. I test drove a Traverse and an Equinox, and I was impressed with both, especially the Traverse. All three of these were designed fairly recently and it shows.

I rented a Cobalt once, and it may have been the worst rental car I ever had. It's replacement, the Cruze, is getting great reviews.

Dvdb
09-15-10, 11:23 PM

Drove a '10 Honda Accord (Enterprise) for 5 days in May (brother's wedding) Nice ride, tried to nickel/dime on checkout but all in all a good experience

Tim
09-16-10, 03:36 PM
Had a Versa when I went to Maine a few weeks ago. Had the car for a whole week and only had to fill up the tank once. I would have used even less had I not been driving around the Bar Harbor area. I'd never buy one because I'd look like a ***** but I did enjoy driving it.

WickerBill
09-16-10, 06:26 PM
Malibu :thumbup:
Fusion :thumbup: :thumbup:
HHR :thumdown:

Michaelhatesfans
09-16-10, 10:29 PM
Last one rented was a few years ago, a Pontiac Grand Prix. What a pig! The dash hadn't changed since the '84 Fiero, the steering seemed to be inspired by Greyhound, and while the car would take off like a rocket and spin the tires like mad, any power requested beyond 15mph was a complete and utter waste of time. As I said to a friend at the time, "You leave the parking space like a bat out of hell, but once you're on the on-ramp, you're ******."

rosawendel
09-17-10, 07:59 AM
I had a CTS from Enterprise (at $44/day, no less) that wasn't without it's charm. it was still cadillac-boat-like, but with some cajones under the hood.

one of these days i'd love to actually get the car that i wanted. I got the CTS when i wanted a maxima (upgrade!) and i still haven't had the opportunity to drive a mazda 6, even though that's the reference vehicle for the class.

oh, and if i may: the toyota matrix is NOT a mid-size, and a mini van isn't an upgrade from anything.