PDA

View Full Version : Monza

Methanolandbrats
09-12-10, 02:05 PM
GRATE race!

NismoZ
09-12-10, 02:34 PM
YES! And not just the race. The story of the guy who found all those driver logs from beneath the old banking was amazing! What a treasure trove of autographs! And the Minister of Tourism?..HAS to be Brambo's sister. Heck, even if it's his wife I want her cell number! I was thinking, 10 different drivers have won for Ferrari 18 times at Monza. Who were they? In chronological order with year(s), please!:D

NismoZ
09-12-10, 02:36 PM
A 3.2 sec. pit stop!?:eek:

NismoZ
09-12-10, 02:42 PM
Also, what a SHOCK that Vettel had that engine "problem" at just the time Webber was closing in.:D (or brake issue, whatever)

Methanolandbrats
09-12-10, 03:21 PM
They eliminated refueling and the next step should be to eliminate the option tire. One compound that can last race distance if you take care of them. That would have left Button and Fred duking it out on greasy tires instead of pitting.

STD
09-12-10, 04:11 PM
Getting back to the going to the pits was not a good thing wouldn't be bad at all.

oddlycalm
09-12-10, 04:59 PM
Monza always seems to produce to good race. :thumbup: Neither Button or Alonso put a foot wrong for 58 laps, unlike Hamilton, who didn't manage to make it through one. Dude, when you're leading in the WDC standings dive bombing on the first lap where there is no chance of getting by...?

oc

Methanolandbrats
09-12-10, 05:16 PM
Getting back to the going to the pits was not a good thing wouldn't be bad at all.

I agree.........I think..........maybe..........:D

STD
09-12-10, 07:47 PM
I think I was having a mini stroke. :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
09-12-10, 07:53 PM
I think I was having a mini stroke. :rofl:

I'm glad you are ok, I can diagram that sentence :)

stroker
09-12-10, 08:12 PM
Maybe it was just me, but it didn't strike me as much of a race to watch. I think the comment above that a non-mandatory pit stop would have made it much more interesting was correct.

cameraman
09-12-10, 09:29 PM
I disagree in that with a single spec tire that will be made to last because no manufacturer wants Goodyear-esque press, the tires would become a total non-issue. As it is Vettel made it to the last lap on the "soft" options.

STD
09-13-10, 08:40 PM
Three grades of tires hard to soft. Teams use them as they wish.
To heck with the tire company setting the stage for what they think will be a better "show" plus the mandatory tire stops.
Bridgestone has never come close to having a clue in this spec/one manufacturer tire formula.
There should be more than one manufacturer.

BarillaGirl
09-13-10, 09:33 PM

This. I could never see the point of requiring a team to use tires that could be unsafe under the conditions. Different drivers wear out the tires differently — didn't Webber go almost all of one race on a set of tires that the Speed commentators swore would go off after about 4 laps?

Hard, medium, soft, rain. Period. X amount of each set per season, kind of like having 8 engines. But. If you get to the last race and you've used up all your soft tire sets and that would have been the best tire for the race — too bad, you should have planned more carefully.

(Would this be a good place to gripe about the rule that says you only get 8 engines, but if your first 8 blow up and you need more, you can use them but you start further back? WTF?)

Of course, the FIA will all get together in the offseason and change the rules around after eating a large pepperoni pizza at 1am anyway, so what does it matter to complain? :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
09-13-10, 10:40 PM
I disagree in that with a single spec tire that will be made to last because no manufacturer wants Goodyear-esque press, the tires would become a total non-issue. As it is Vettel made it to the last lap on the "soft" options.

Goodyear makes **** for racing and roadcars. Nobody is in their league :D. Vettel made it and then had to change and **** up his race, exactly my point.

opinionated ow
09-13-10, 10:53 PM
To heck with the tire company setting the stage for what they think will be a better "show" plus the mandatory tire stops.
Bridgestone has never come close to having a clue in this spec/one manufacturer tire formula.
There should be more than one manufacturer.

There should be no control tyres. Anybody that wants to make f1 tyres should be allowed to and if that means teams pick up some sponsorship, so be it.

TrueBrit
09-14-10, 01:53 PM
Make the tyres run the distance. Back in the old days a visit to the pits meant you were done..If it was good enough for Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill and Jim Clark, I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same today..

Methanolandbrats
09-14-10, 02:04 PM
Make the tyres run the distance. Back in the old days a visit to the pits meant you were done..If it was good enough for Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill and Jim Clark, I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same today..:thumbup:

Steve99
09-14-10, 02:23 PM
Maybe it was just me, but it didn't strike me as much of a race to watch.
I agree. First lap was interesting, but after that the only thing to look forward to was the the pitstops. F1 has been a real parade this year, but I don't think eliminating pitstops will fix it. They need to get the cars figured out, as reducing front mechanical grip obviously didn't help the racing any.

datachicane
09-14-10, 06:32 PM
Make the tyres run the distance. Back in the old days a visit to the pits meant you were done..If it was good enough for Jochen Rindt, Graham Hill and Jim Clark, I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same today..

I agree, but I'd go even further than that.

Given the advances in tire technology in the last 40 years, that set of tires should last all weekend, maybe even a couple of weekends. As hard as those compounds would need to be to survive, being able to successfully manage a drift through a corner would carry a much bigger advantage than some miniscule aero tweak, just as God intended.

Indy
09-15-10, 09:56 AM

Just let the teams buy tires anywhere they want and let them form their own strategies. If someone has a tire so good that pitting is worthwhile, then good for them.

All this single source, mandatory options and primes stuff is Mickey Mouse. The Eurogomers are on the precipice of losing F1 and they don't even realize it.

NismoZ
09-15-10, 07:58 PM
To who? Texans?:gomer:

Gnam
09-16-10, 06:14 PM
I liked how Red Bull forced Vettel to fake engine problems so Webber could pass him, and Vettel still finished ahead of him. :p

How can such a fast car have such horrible starts?
Red Bull gets your doors blown off.

RTKar
09-16-10, 06:59 PM

It would certainly bring a "spec" like element to the grid and might be worth trying a year, especially now that Pirelli is coming in.

BarillaGirl
09-16-10, 11:34 PM
Maybe if we can solve the tire issues in F1 we can head over to figure skating and restore compulsory figures. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Methanolandbrats
09-17-10, 12:30 AM
Maybe if we can solve the tire issues in F1 we can head over to figure skating and restore compulsory figures. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

When Katarina was raising her leg, it was worth watching. I bought a ticket :D

Insomniac
09-18-10, 03:26 PM
My vote is no reqs of any kind on the tires. Let them make compounds that last the whole race, 1 lap. Whatever. Just get rid of the single manufacturer.