PDA

View Full Version : Montoya just drove Gordon's Cab

DjDrOmusic
06-11-03, 01:26 PM
I just watched JPM drive the Nascab and couldn't help but think that it was the first time that car had ever been driven!!:rofl: ;)

cart7
06-11-03, 01:52 PM
Has he gone to the showers yet to wash the Nascar cooties off?? :D

racer2c
06-11-03, 02:29 PM
Where is his forced drivel like..."It must be a real challenge to man handle this heavy car for that long of a race. I have nothing but respect for these guys. These cars are really hard to drive, but Jeff doesn't have to worry about me going after his seat anytime soon (wink wink)." Gag.

cart7
06-11-03, 03:07 PM
WOW!! Jeff did a 1:16.5!!! Look out Ralf!
He and Busch are showing some legitimate meddle in OW cars. :eek:

pchall
06-11-03, 03:11 PM
JPM is probably finding a Cup car on the road course an interesting exercise, but what would he think after 500 laps at Bristol?

As for Jeffy, I hope this experience makes him wish he'd seriously pursued an Atlantics ride.

Railbird
06-11-03, 03:17 PM
Just back from turn 11.

I was more impressed with Gordon than I was with Montoya.

JPM got on pace quickly which I expected considering his talent and the limited performance of the Cup car. The lack of brakes was the main thing he had to come to terms with. I believe he over-ran turn 1 once for his only escapade.

Gordon on the other hand was looking at an envelope of completely different dimension from anything he could imagine. He kept getting quicker and didn't look the least bit out of place which impressed me considering his experience. I believe he too had one off entering turn one as a result of a braking mis judgement.

Fun deal to watch and a lot more interesting than I expected.

In the end I beieve the one thought I can go away with is that they both demonstrated why they get the big bucks and I'm back at work pecking on a keyboard.

JSR
06-11-03, 04:54 PM
I was very impressed with Jeff Gordon today.

RaceChic
06-11-03, 04:59 PM
Can't wait to watch it. I set the VCR. :D
Also will rebroadcast at 7:00pm Eastern Time if anyone missed it.......;)

RobGuru
06-11-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by cart7
WOW!! Jeff did a 1:16.5!!! Look out Ralf!

What are the lap times there at the USGP?

Lizzerd
06-11-03, 05:20 PM
Pole last year was a 1:14 somthing. I was at the track and had a hard time hearing the PA where I was (the dumbasses didn't turn on all the speakers where the people actually WERE). I did hear Gordon say something about how finding that last second must be incredibly tough. I can't imagine that they didn't give him a very "safe" aero setup, too. Time to rewind and watch the tape.

Ziggy
06-11-03, 06:06 PM
This was a cool deal, and it was nice to see some racing friends at the track with some enthusiasm for a change! Railbird was quite elusive, and I think he watched it from the Flagroom via closed circut!

Jeff Gordon has tons of openwheel experience turn7. All of it before he turned 21! Midget, Sprint, SilverCrown, Jeff ran and won in all, with track records along the way, many of which still stand. Gordon is the guy who kicked the door open for all the USAC guys to head to Taxiland.

Both Jeff and Juan showed great enthusiasm, and both conducted themselves in a manner that makes all racing fans proud.

Bravo

Ziggy

DjDrOmusic
06-11-03, 06:17 PM
After seeing the entire thing, yes it was impressive by both drivers, and I wondered aloud to my wife if Gordon were wishing he could head to Montreal instead of Michigan! Very well done by both!:cool:

RaceChic
06-11-03, 06:55 PM
Can't help but wish it was anywhere but THAT track. :rolleyes:
Oh well. I guess it's the only track in North America that both drivers have been to even if it's the road coarse that Jeff Gordon has never driven. Hate to see Tony George's track associated with it. Still too cool! :thumbup:

Just watching it now. Very humerous and interesting to hear them compare the cars...... :)

Racewriter
06-11-03, 07:39 PM
"Traction control is a beautiful thing" - Jeff Gordon

I would LOVE to see Jeff tee it up at the USGP. I think it would get REAL quiet afterwards on the openwheel boards...

"Getting that last second must be really tricky...":rofl:

RaceChic
06-11-03, 07:57 PM
Commentator:
"That's what F1 is. It's a factory sport. Technology fight to the finest degree. That's just not what (long, hard pause) other motorports are about." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Almost kicked himself in the pants on that one.
Something to that effect anyway. May not be word for word. :)

Ziggy
06-11-03, 08:10 PM
And why would it be quiet on the openwheel boards Racewriter? Most everyone I know has knowledge of Gordons past. I think the message boards for the tintops are pretty brisk even though the openwheel USAC club guys are taking all the laurals of Winston Cup.

Without the openwheel drivers, NASCAR would still consider the likes of Terry Labonte a threat! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Money makes the world go round, and the USAC champions have been taken quite a bit of the Winston Cup dough for a decade now.

Ziggy

Cam
06-11-03, 08:22 PM
It is a new world folk!!

Sean O'Gorman
06-11-03, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Commentator:
"That's what F1 is. It's a factory sport. Technology fight to the finest degree. That's just not what (long, hard pause) other motorports are about." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Almost kicked himself in the pants on that one.
Something to that effect anyway. May not be word for word. :)

Its a shame that after something this cool happens, all you can do is bash NASCAR.

oddlycalm
06-11-03, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
I would LOVE to see Jeff tee it up at the USGP. I think it would get REAL quiet afterwards on the openwheel boards...

Most people that actually understand racing know that Gordon has talent that is underutilized in NASCAR. I even predicted he would do well on the other thread prior to the event if you want to check.

My comment is that Gordon would probably be better appreciated by the fans in F1, as I can't recall ever hearing a NASCAR fan say a positive thing about him. Most seem to question his sexual preferences and make other unpleasent noises, none of which explains how beats the pants off their favorite driver on a regular basis.

oc

oddlycalm
06-11-03, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Fun deal to watch and a lot more interesting than I expected.

In the end I beieve the one thought I can go away with is that they both demonstrated why they get the big bucks and I'm back at work pecking on a keyboard. Agreed on both points. :thumbup:

Speed did a good job with this as did the teams and drivers. I was put off when the put Fisher in the McClaren, because it was pure pandering and hucksterism. This was genuinely interesting and informative.

oc

RTKar
06-11-03, 09:50 PM
I like the idea of someone who is top notch in his respective discipline comparing what he senses from the car in another discipline. The awe in Gordon's explanation of what he fealt from the Williams was interesting. I think it opened his eyes to a bigger world of motorsports.

Lizzerd
06-11-03, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Pole last year was a 1:14 somthing.

I was wrong... It was a 1:10 something.

I'm sure Gordon had a very "safe" setup dialed in for him too, though.

Railbird
06-11-03, 10:28 PM
Ziggy

I was on top of the hill inside of T11, great spot to check braking and entry, with the whole scanner/stopwatch/beer cooler thing working.

I saw the Mini cruise by toward the end of the session and thought it might have spotted the funky cavalier.

But, alas, it just cruised on by.

cart7
06-12-03, 05:14 AM
originally posted by Racewriter
You'd be wrong RW. While I'm not a big Cup fan, I and many other OW fans appreciate the skill of some of the drivers in the series and Jeff is one of them. I'd was equally impressed with Kurt Busch and his impressive spin around Sebring in Michel's car this winter. It's too bad Jeff is too old to run F1 because I think he's one of the few in Nascar, along with Kurt who has the discipline to run F1. It was a great show yesterday and was rooting for Jeff. He was impressive.

RaceChic
06-12-03, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
Its a shame that after something this cool happens, all you can do is bash NASCAR.

Hey, I didn't have to. The commentators did it in an ongoing, subtle manner the whole time. You call that me bashing NASCAR?
Sorry. Just repeating a quote that I heard that made me laugh. :)
It was too cool, though....... :D

Turn7
06-12-03, 07:47 AM
Racechic, at least you had enough interest in IMS to watch it. It is great that some of you found enjoyment in it, me, I think it is a stupid idea and didn't watch or have the desire to watch.

Did this PR stunt get some media play in Indy? If I didn't check the boards, I would of never heard about it or known that it happened.

If Jeff Gordon went to Europe and tested for a driving spot at williams, that would be interesting. Tony George and IMS trying to draw attention to his facility is not.

Cam
06-12-03, 07:52 AM
[i]
If Jeff Gordon went to Europe and tested for a driving spot at williams, that would be interesting. Tony George and IMS trying to draw attention to his facility is not. [/B]

T7.... I don't think TG really had anything behind it. It was all BMW's idea. And in your not watching you really missed an interesting event. The look in Jeffy's eyes when he came in REALLY said it all. :cool:

RTKar
06-12-03, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Cam
The look in Jeffy's eyes when he came in REALLY said it all. :cool:

Yup Cam, that look said, "DAMN!, after this NASCAR is going to be really boring." I'd love to see Gordon do a real test, work with the engineers, improve the car, I'm guessing he'd be "right there" with his times in pretty short order.

Railbird
06-12-03, 09:26 AM
I was told last night that TG and IMS did have quite a bit to do with refiring the idea after last years abort. BMW and FISA of course were the main players, or obstacles in FISA's case, but IMS bent over backwards to make it happen and to get it it's own special on SPEED.

After all, IMS and SPEED have an obvious interest in building F1 interest and awareness in the US.

That doesn't matter to me one way or the other, it was just a good time and an interesting matchup that you aren't going to see very often.

BTW, as an old short track fan, it surely did look cool to see an F1 machine scream by with a helmet sporting a flame job sticking up out of the cockpit.

racer2c
06-12-03, 10:21 AM
I agree with the helmet comment 'bird. I can't help but think how Jeff would handle a Champ Car where he's actually shifting a sequetial away from the steering wheel. ;)

Turn7
06-12-03, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Cam
And in your not watching you really missed an interesting event. The look in Jeffy's eyes when he came in REALLY said it all. :cool:

That is just it. There was no interest. A totally manufactured scenario, where two of the biggest players in thier discipline pose for pictures and smile for the camera. Say a little bit about how the respect each others line of work and have admiration for what the other does.

Was watching a NASCAR superstar run 6 seconds off the pace really interesting? Not to me.

Was watching a F1 driver climb into a Winston Cup car and sling it around an infield course interesting? Not to me.

Like I said before, it is great that you and others enjoyed it, I was just stating that it was just a infomercial for IMS, NASCAR (like they need it), BMW, the BY400 and USGP.

rabbit
06-12-03, 10:34 AM
BTW, as an old short track fan, it surely did look cool to see an F1 machine scream by with a helmet sporting a flame job sticking up out of the cockpit.
http://www.brickyard.com/media/photos/2003/gallery-06112003/images/DF5S9836.jpg
Yep. 2:cool:

RaceChic
06-12-03, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
Was watching a F1 driver climb into a Winston Cup car and sling it around an infield course interesting? Not to me.

Do wish that JPM could have driven the NASCAR around the oval in order to make the comparison/swap more realistic. :(

RaceChic
06-12-03, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
Racechic, at least you had enough interest in IMS to watch it.

Turn7, my interest certainly is NOT with the IMS. Was just interested in the out come of the swap. :)

Said this on previous page:
"Can't help but wish it was anywhere but THAT track.
Oh well. I guess it's the only track in North America that both drivers have been to even if it's the road coarse that Jeff Gordon has never driven. Hate to see Tony George's track associated with it. Still too cool!"

chop456
06-12-03, 11:02 AM
I found it entertaing as all get out. Gordon obviously had a hell of a time and Juan probably would have if he weren't in F1. Going from an F1 car to anything else with 4 wheels has got to be a little underwhelming. Probably had flashbacks of his Barber/Saab days.

Gordon was open in admitting that he was realizing his dream. What does that tell you?

I thought they both did very well. Especially Gordon.

RichK
06-12-03, 11:45 AM
I thought it was great; I had a smile for the whole show. For a brief moment at IMS, everything in racing seemed cool.

Racewriter
06-12-03, 02:20 PM
You'd be wrong RW. While I'm not a big Cup fan, I and many other OW fans appreciate the skill of some of the drivers in the series and Jeff is one of them. I'd was equally impressed with Kurt Busch and his impressive spin around Sebring in Michel's car this winter. It's too bad Jeff is too old to run F1 because I think he's one of the few in Nascar, along with Kurt who has the discipline to run F1. It was a great show yesterday and was rooting for Jeff. He was impressive.

Oh, come on, C7. We're pals and all, but fer chrissakes, you and I go to all the same boards, and we both see what's said. For Pete's sake, the thread refers to "Gordon's Cab.":rolleyes: I think there are several guys in NASCAR who would be world class in F1 - J. Gordon, Stewart, Busch, Newman, B. Labonte, and a few others.

rabbit
06-12-03, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
For Pete's sake, the thread refers to "Gordon's Cab.":rolleyes: The cab would be Gordon's car. Jeff Gordon is a world-class race car driver. His cab is not a world-class race car.

There's a difference.

Railbird
06-12-03, 03:35 PM
T7

Face the facts, F1 in America needs all the exposure it can get. If it takes the hero of the cabbies running around TG's joint in a Williams museum to piece to do it then that's what it takes.

I'm just glad i crawled out of work for a couple hours to watch it happen.

If you didn't care for it I'm sorry about your luck.

The fact that Gordon got within shouting distance of a decent lap time was fairly impressive to me.

Oh, and RW?

Cup cars are *****boxes no matter how popular they are.

Turn7
06-12-03, 04:22 PM
'bird,

I am facing the facts. F1 doesn't need America period. It has a following big enough that if it had the popularity in the US that NASCAR does, it would only increase the viewer ratings by 3-5%.

The facts are F1 doesn't need America. Tony needs F1 and NASCAR to pay for his tantrum. Those are the facts.

I am by no means trying to say you or others didn't or shouldn't gain enjoyment from the IMS PR program. Good for you and others, I would not want to take that away from you. I am just stating that even though I am the only one appearantly ( :D ) I didn't find interesting enough to tune in.

Also, it isn't that I didn't care for it. Here comes another fact...I didn't watch it so, I can't say I didn't care for it. I said I found the idea of it uninteresting. I also wondered if it got media attention in Indy because I would not have known about it if it weren't for the message boards. Speed didn't advertise it, the local news didn't cover it. How did anybody even know this was going to take place?

Although message boards got the word out the day of the event, people that post to racing forums are a mere pitance of the actual fan base.

Railbird
06-12-03, 05:04 PM
F1 doesn't need America period.

The most commercialy driven racing series in the world doesn't need exposure in the worlds largest commercial market?

I'm pretty sure Bernard would disagree unless he's in the midst of one of his "one billion viewers" spews. (Gee Bernie, how many Mercedes and Beemers do get sold in Rhodesia and Peking?) If you're selling it you need exposure in the American market.

SPEED promoted this show quite a bit IMO.

oddlycalm
06-12-03, 05:50 PM
The most commercialy driven racing series in the world doesn't need exposure in the worlds largest commercial market?

Yeah, Bernie has said publicly a number of times that he needs penetration in the US market. I've also been in the room when Pook mentioned that this is at the core of his talks with Bernie.

oc

Sean O'Gorman
06-12-03, 07:37 PM

RW isn't referring to fans like you. I think hes talking more about the morons like ferrarigod who respect NASCAR drivers about as much as the average non-race fan.

cart7
06-12-03, 07:42 PM
originally posted by Racewriter
For Pete's sake, the thread refers to "Gordon's Cab." I think there are several guys in NASCAR who would be world class in F1 - J. Gordon, Stewart, Busch, Newman, B. Labonte, and a few others.
Cab as in car. I'm not going to argue with anyone you just listed, those are the only guys I find the least bit interesting to watch in Nascar. There are a few drivers in that series that get the lions share of abuse from OW fans. Spencer, Waltrip, M.Wallace, K. Wallace, Skinner, Bensen, T. Labonte, etc. Guys who are seemingly happy to finish 18th - 40th every week and haven't won a race or even a podium(oops, they don't do that in cup), in years. Scan the boards earlier this year when Kurt ran his fast laps in Rahals car and you won't find anyone dissing the kid. Now, when Jimmy Spencer took his Target ride with Floyd in Florida, that's another story. :D

Cam
06-13-03, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
RW isn't referring to fans like you. I think hes talking more about the morons like ferrarigod who respect NASCAR drivers about as much as the average non-race fan.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Racewriter
06-13-03, 09:45 AM
Cab as in car. I'm not going to argue with anyone you just listed, those are the only guys I find the least bit interesting to watch in Nascar. There are a few drivers in that series that get the lions share of abuse from OW fans. Spencer, Waltrip, M.Wallace, K. Wallace, Skinner, Bensen, T. Labonte, etc. Guys who are seemingly happy to finish 18th - 40th every week and haven't won a race or even a podium(oops, they don't do that in cup), in years. Scan the boards earlier this year when Kurt ran his fast laps in Rahals car and you won't find anyone dissing the kid. Now, when Jimmy Spencer took his Target ride with Floyd in Florida, that's another story. :D

Yes, and every series has those guys. Incidentally, Spencer's had quite a few good runs this year, and I can tell you for a fact - as a guy who's spent time around Spencer during a race weekend - that he's anything but happy to run midpack. Spencer falls into that category of "decent journeyman driver" that isn't going to crack the top echelon of Cup drivers.

The others I won't argue with, but I would remind you of Benson's Rockingham win last year, and his titles in BGN and ASA.

But do we want to mention the back end ridebuyers in F1 (Yoong and Mazzacane come to mind), or the stiffs in IRL and CART? For God's sake, the lemmings are now all over Tora!

SOG35 hits it pretty close, though.

I would also like to see Dale Jr., Harvick, and Jeff Burton try openwheel cars. Harvick's car control is spectacular, he's just not as "developed" a talent at this point as some of the others we've discussed. Dale Jr. would charge in anything you put him in. Jeff Burton would be another Al Unser Sr. - smooth, steady, and there on the money lap.

The truth is that, however dumb some here think NASCAR fans are, there are just as many brain-dead openwheel fans. On our favorite IRL forum, there are plenty of people extolling Jeff Gordon's performance and proclaiming how great he'd be in F1 or IRL.

The same people then insist that formulafeedercar experience (of which Jeff possesses zero) is mandatory for IRL candidates.

:rolleyes:

Railbird
06-13-03, 11:44 AM
RW

Jeffy jumped in a car set up by Montoya and did a nice job.

That doesn't mean he's some freakin' Nuvolari, that just means he got within a second. That second by his own admission would be the biggest challange he's ever faced.

Good grief racefan, let's not blow that little dog and pony show out of proportion. Trim that car out for quals and lets see if Wonder Bread can stay within a second.

DaveL
06-13-03, 12:43 PM
What Railbird said.

The car had a very easy, high downforce setup on it. It's not as if they trimmed it out to get every last drop of speed out of the car.

RacinM3
06-13-03, 01:37 PM
I Tivo'd this show and watched it last night.

I put everything I felt about TG aside while viewing it. I don't hate the Speedway, I hate TG.

I watched intently as someone who'd never driven an F1 car took his first laps ever, regardless of how experienced he was in other formulae.

I wasn't quite as intrigued by JPM in the cab - I know he could drive the wheels off one of those things.

I was extremely impressed with Gordon's performance, especially under braking. On one lap he had the RF under imminent lockup going into T1, but didn't smoke the tire. It was still turning, just a little less than the other 3 wheels.

I was very impressed.

I enjoyed it, if only to see what sometimes is very hard to make happen these days due to sponsorships and BIG bucks.

It was like the old days, in a way.