PDA

View Full Version : So what is on your iPod/iPhone/Smartphone/etc?

Elmo T
08-15-10, 12:42 PM
Other than music, which has its own thread, what is on your portable device of choice? I am sure we all have the basics, but how else do you make use of your device?

Other than music, I have loads of movies and TV shows for the kids. I have cables neatly run in the van and the car. I can output shows from the iPod to the AUX input of the video players - "Phineas and Ferb" now available on demand in the car along with plenty of movies. :gomer:

Lots of podcasts for me: This American Life, Radiolab, How Stuff Works, Vinyl Cafe (think Canadian Prairie Home Companion).

For apps, Pandora gets heavy use on the home wifi when I am cutting the grass.

I have a bunch of work related apps: chemical databases, periodic chart, emergency response guides.

I've been playing around with Viigo to pull down content: news, sports updates, even some podcasts are coming in through Viigo to the Blackberry.

WickerBill
08-15-10, 01:28 PM
I have a locked-down-by-work Blackberry, so I only have the things I've been able to sneak on: GMail, Google Maps, Pandora, GTalk, Opera, and Google Voice.

datachicane
08-15-10, 01:35 PM
I keep a bunch of Radiolab podcasts, a few gb worth of TTC courses (right now it's Argumentation, Ethics, Tools of Thinking, and the Italian Renaissance), a bunch of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me and Philosophy Talk shows, a bunch of close shots of the wiring harness routing of the car I'm reassembling, shots of my mediocre attempts at latte art, a copy of one of the development archives of the system I support/administer and a zillion supporting scripts, etc.
Appwise not much extra, MidpSSH, Opera, an ebook reader, Google maps, that's about it.

TKGAngel
08-15-10, 01:47 PM
No smartyphone for me, but I mainly use my iPod touch for Twitter aps (Echofon/Twitteriffic) and the Wordpress app. I haven't downloaded the FB app, since I've heard it's a POS.

Elmo T
08-15-10, 02:28 PM
I haven't downloaded the FB app, since I've heard it's a POS.

The Blackberry FB app screws up my Google calendar sync for some reason. :irked:

nrc
08-15-10, 02:28 PM
I keep a copy of Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) and Vim (http://www.vim.org/index.php) handy in case I get stranded someplace with only Windows available. I have them on my phone and Fuze but usually I find it easier to just plug in my USB stick which also has Firefox on it.

KLang
08-15-10, 03:21 PM
My iPhone has an assortment of weather, news and travel apps. Plus the Kindle reader which I have used a bit more then I expected to.

dando
08-15-10, 05:09 PM
ASCII phone for me. I'm a cheap bastid. :gomer: I have a Creative Zen MP3 player, but it's seldom used since my commute is all of 10 minutes and we don't travel much these days to cut expenses. :thumbup:

-Kevin

WickerBill
08-15-10, 07:02 PM
ASCII phone for me. I'm a cheap bastid. :gomer: I have a Creative Zen MP3 player, but it's seldom used since my commute is all of 10 minutes and we don't travel much these days to cut expenses. :thumbup:

So you actually use your phone to make phone calls? Adorable

dando
08-15-10, 07:37 PM
So you actually use your phone to make phone calls? Adorable

It's actually a mobile pay phone....I pay as I go. Go figger. :gomer: Hey, I'd love to geek out and have a Droid, but I'm not paying ~$100 when I'm rarely 10 minutes from the office or home. *shrug*

-Kevin

cameraman
08-15-10, 07:45 PM
Pictures and movies. I bought an HTC Incredible for the camera. Lord knows it isn't a great phone.

I still have my ancient LG flip phone, it didn't do much of anything but make phone calls but it did that much better.

stroker
08-15-10, 09:05 PM
what is this "Portable Device" of which you speak?

Yes, Luddite is my middle name...

Ed_Severson
08-16-10, 09:01 AM
Lots of the typical stuff on my iPhone ... social networking (Facebook & Twitter), mobile banking, an RSS reader to pull in my favorite blogs and podcasts, news (Weather Channel, stocks, IndyStar, ESPN) a few games (Euchre, Sudoku, NY Times crossword), dining (LocalEats, Urbanspoon, OpenTable), shopping (Target, Babies R Us, Best Buy, Groupon), and of course the requisite music and photos.

Got a GPS-based app for tracking bike rides and runs, as well as an app from Adidas that set up a soccer-specific training program to help me prepare for indoor this winter. Got one that functions as a golf scorecard and GPS-based yardage guide, and tracks my stats too. Have one that we used when my son was a newborn to track his feeding ... now I primarily use it to keep a record of his height/weight progression and immunizations. Have one called FieldAgent that pays me ... companies ask users to document how their products are marketed in retail outlets and pay you a few bucks for your trouble. Got one that makes white noise in case I travel and leave the Sleepmate at home. And with AT&T U-verse I can manage my DVR via my phone as well.

KLang
08-16-10, 12:11 PM
And with AT&T U-verse I can manage my DVR via my phone as well.

Forgot, I've got a Dish Network app for that too.

Methanolandbrats
08-16-10, 12:32 PM
I can't wait till U-Verse gets to my area. ATT landline, innerweb and HD for a lot less than I'm now paying. As far as phones go, have LG Helix for voice and EasyEdge. Thinking about US Cellular Android and $30 data plan.

eiregosod
08-16-10, 12:59 PM
my Aiko walkman from 1988 :gomer:

racermike
08-16-10, 02:19 PM
I have an 80gb iPod

Besides the few thousand mp3's, I keep up with at least 7-8 different podcasts ranging from NPR, to Adam Carolla, to This week in Tech.

dando
08-28-10, 04:54 PM
OK, so I lost my mind and bought a Sammy Captivate (AT&T) for $10 through Wirefly. Beyond me how they can sell a $200 retail phone (w/contract, $500 w/o contract) for $10, but I have it in hand, and it is one sweet piece of Droid. Anyway, now what Droid owners? Besides App Killer, which I've read that is necessary to kill the bloatware crapola.

-Kevin

Ankf00
08-28-10, 05:15 PM
frequent use: pandora, fb, twitter (echofon) to keep track of local food carts/trucks & restaurants mostly, menupages app, yelp, chase banking (photo check cashing ftw), tapatalk for bbs browsing, google map+compass for allsomeness. oh and the apple remote app that lets me DJ my itunes during parties over wifi.