PDA

View Full Version : Watched NASCAR Watkins Glen

Hard Driver
08-09-10, 10:56 AM
I never watch the cabs, but since it was a road course and I was sick on the couch, I watched the Glen race. Funny how once you put right turns into the mix, you end up with Montoya, Almandinger and some Aussie V8 Supercar racer running towards the front, and Montoya won. Montoya is not exactly as thin as his F1 days anymore, huh.

Found it funny they were trying to play up the "best of the world" aspect of having a couple foreign drivers.

opinionated ow
08-09-10, 11:01 AM
I never watch the cabs, but since it was a road course and I was sick on the couch, I watched the Glen race. Funny how once you put right turns into the mix, you end up with Montoya, Almandinger and some Aussie V8 Supercar racer running towards the front, and Montoya won. Montoya is not exactly as thin as his F1 days anymore, huh.

Found it funny they were trying to play up the "best of the world" aspect of having a couple foreign drivers.

Were Ron Fellows and Nelson Piquet Jr in that race too? We only get nationwide on free to air here...

NismoZ
08-09-10, 12:21 PM
And BORIS!:D

TedN
08-09-10, 12:26 PM
Were Ron Fellows and Nelson Piquet Jr in that race too? We only get nationwide on free to air here...

Not Piquet but Fellows and Patrick Carpentier were.

Ted

patski
08-09-10, 03:38 PM
Not Piquet but Fellows and Patrick Carpentier were.

Ted

Piquet Jr. was in the Nationwide race on Sat along with JV.

Wheel-Nut
08-09-10, 04:52 PM
Some of the regulars are pretty good on the road courses.

Harvick, the Busch brothers, Stewart, Johnson, J Gordon . . .

Indy
08-09-10, 05:30 PM
I would have watched it, but I dislike slow, painful torture.

SteveH
08-09-10, 05:36 PM
I would have watched it, but I dislike slow, painful torture.

I watched it and it was. ESPN is horrid. Made it all the worse.

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 10:16 AM
I was there with the boys. In the Blue stands at the bottom of the esses. Actually not a bad show IMO. The cars are so big and heavy that they are a lot to handle and tend to use up brakes and tires. Montoya drove away at the end mostly because he had saved brakes while Ambrose used his up making up ground he lost on a bad restart.

I was expecting the crowd to heartily boo Montoya after he took the checkers but there was actually muted polite applause. No grumbling at all but not a single cheer either. A bit different from two years ago when he and Harvick got into each other in T1 and the crowd loudly booed him. The people around me were yelling for him to "go back to Mexico".

The crowd last year and this DID get into Ambrose though. The Aussie has created more than a few fans.

The crowd seemed as good or better than last year, unlike other NASCAR races this year. Perhaps it was my imagination but the crowd did seem a little more subdued though. For example I did not see a single shat faced rowdy the whole weekend.

NismoZ
08-10-10, 11:15 AM
Maybe you CAN take a Redneck out of the hills?:)

Steve99
08-10-10, 02:31 PM
The crowd seemed as good or better than last year, unlike other NASCAR races this year.
From the highlights I saw on TV, the stands didn't look too full, but I'm not sure how full they were last year. The stands for Grand Am looked deserted, which surprised me for a NASCAR weekend.

Rus'L
08-10-10, 03:56 PM
The crowd seemed as good or better than last year, unlike other NASCAR races this year. Perhaps it was my imagination but the crowd did seem a little more subdued though. For example I did not see a single shat faced rowdy the whole weekend.

You weren't hanging out in the right spots on Saturday after the Grand Am race... :eek:

Trevor Longman
08-10-10, 04:47 PM
Yeah I was sitting on the backstraight and inside the carousel on Friday night and during the Grand Am race and man there were some people out there that could stand for a little less bud light. Maybe the race day crowd in the esses was pretty well behaved but damn, venture too far down the backstraight and you're in for a serious shot of the "Real America"... :rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 07:49 PM
You weren't hanging out in the right spots on Saturday after the Grand Am race... :eek:

Maybe so, and I'll take Trevor's word for the campers on the far end of the track but Sunday usually has its share of staggering and face planted fans wandering under the Red White and Blue and I didn't see a red face that wasn't just sun burned. Probably means nothing though other than the economy sux too much to buy that much $5 a can beer.

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 07:51 PM
The stands for Grand Am looked deserted, which surprised me for a NASCAR weekend.

Always empty at the Glen (and elsewhere). The place empties out and they even close almost all the concessions after the Nationwide race. I couldn't find a pretzel for my youngest and he walked a half mile to find some cotton candy.