PDA

View Full Version : Poof goes the Miata

nrc
08-08-10, 02:17 PM
I guess it's time to say farewell to our '93 Mazda Miata. :(

I had kind of reached that conclusion earlier this year, but I think now it's final. The car still runs great, but it needs a new top and exhaust and as little as we've driven it the last couple of years I couldn't see spending the money. I figured that as soon as we sank $1500 into it something else would break.

I was running an errand in the Miata today, enjoying the nice day and considering the car's fate. Lately the car has lacked braking power so I wanted to test to see just how well it handled a good hard stop. So on a deserted road I got up to about 45 and did a good hard stop. Or tried to.

Poof. Vapor shot out the left front wheel well and the pedal went to the floor. Fortunately the road was straight and empty and I was able to get things whoaed down safely. It wasn't far form home so I was able to limp back at low speed. I'm just glad it didn't happen in a real panic stop on the freeway.

I'm guessing that the seal blew out on the caliper. I'll crawl under later and make sure it wasn't just a brake line. Either way, it's another indication that it's time to make the call. If it's the caliper we'll probably just give it to charity.

Sad ending for a great little car. I wish I had the time to make a project of it.

G.
08-08-10, 02:43 PM
So on a deserted road I got up to about 45 and did a good hard stop.

damn good move.

Sorry about the car.

Insomniac
08-09-10, 02:09 PM
The car still runs great

Are you sure? ;)

I'd say 17 years is a really good run though.

nrc
08-09-10, 07:31 PM
Are you sure? ;)

I'd say 17 years is a really good run though.

It goes. It just doesn't stop. :gomer:

Turns out that brake line burst where the flexible line meets the hard line. I think we're still done though.

Cam
08-09-10, 07:34 PM

Turns out that brake line burst where the flexible line meets the hard line. I think we're still done though.

Sounds like rubber rot has set in if that's the case. :(

Insomniac
08-10-10, 07:52 PM

That is scary stuff. I guess I take it for granted that the brakes will just work.

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 08:34 PM
Is it too much too park it in your yard somewhere and wait until you can strip it down to a spec Miata racer? If it were me I'd have it under a tarp in the back yard (and a perpetual torn in my wife's side) as a perpetual reminder of the life I hope to have someday. :gomer:

rosawendel
08-10-10, 08:41 PM
So, what color will the new mini be?

nrc
08-10-10, 08:44 PM
Is it too much too park it in your yard somewhere and wait until you can strip it down to a spec Miata racer? If it were me I'd have it under a tarp in the back yard (and a perpetual torn in my wife's side) as a perpetual reminder of the life I hope to have someday. :gomer:

Yeah, that's what I need, yet another perpetually unfinished project. That will perk me right up. :gomer:

nrc
08-10-10, 08:49 PM
So, what color will the new mini be?

I think we'll stick with the two MINIs for a while. They're supposed to replace the current generation Miata in a couple of years. At that point we'll decide whether we want the current generation or or the next gen.

I'm encouraged by rumors that they want the new generation to be smaller and lighter. I just fear the fact that lately Mazda's styling has gone full retard.

TravelGal
08-10-10, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that's what I need, yet another perpetually unfinished project. That will perk me right up. :gomer:

:rofl::rofl:

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 09:01 PM

Where does your sense of entitlement and specialness come from. My life is surrounded with good intentions and seemingly reasonable dreams. You have an obligation to that wad of scrap metal. This is not a pet you can simply dispatch to the vet to dispose. "Perk" has jack to do with it.

cameraman
08-11-10, 06:37 AM
Yeah, that's what I need, yet another perpetually unfinished project.

That's my entire life you're talkin' about...

Rogue Leader
08-11-10, 07:57 AM
LEMONS!

Cam
08-11-10, 07:24 PM
LEMONS!

We have a weenar!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

nrc
08-13-10, 10:02 AM
Where does your sense of entitlement and specialness come from. My life is surrounded with good intentions and seemingly reasonable dreams. You have an obligation to that wad of scrap metal. This is not a pet you can simply dispatch to the vet to dispose. "Perk" has jack to do with it.

Argh. See you really get it. Now I gotta get it driveable so I can park it in your front yard. Free to a good home and all that.

Andrew Longman
08-13-10, 01:44 PM
Argh. See you really get it. Now I gotta get it driveable so I can park it in your front yard. Free to a good home and all that.

Naw. Just trailer it here. I think I'd strip it down to a spec Miata racer and trailer it to the track anyway. :D Meanwhile it can sit in the yard with the lacrosse net and all the other kids crap. I already have the blue tarp to cover it.

Methanolandbrats
08-13-10, 02:13 PM
If there is not pan rust, it costs almost nothing to refresh brake plumbing. If you have a friend with a lift, it's easy too. Just need a tubing bender, a roll of brake pipe and some fittings. Replace the rubber bits with steel braided lines and drive it another 17 years. :)

Andrew Longman
08-13-10, 04:02 PM
Shhh Brats. I knew that but I was hoping the boss didn't.:gomer:

cameraman
08-13-10, 04:08 PM
So I wasn't the only person thinking that...

nrc
08-15-10, 03:39 PM
Yeah, that's it. Roll it into the back yard and park it on the basketball court under a tarp. Then I can collect all the parts and someday... Well, I suppose I'll have to build another shed to store the parts in the meantime... Heck, may as well make it a small garage. Heck, once I have an extra garage to work in, I may as well build one of these...
http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/images/IMG_6560_350.jpg (http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/)

dando
08-15-10, 04:26 PM
Just donate it to SOG to replace the Mrs. 2. :gomer: :D

-Kevin

nrc
11-30-10, 11:05 PM
Our Miata was hauled away last Friday. Black Friday, indeed. We ended up donating it to AmVets. They use a service called Advanced Remarketing Services who handle all the details of collecting and disposing of donated cars for various charities. It was nearly painless (you still have to get the title notarized) and most of whatever they get out of it will go to a good cause.

So we're down to two cars for the first time in... I can't remember when. I'd like to wait until we find out about the next generation Miata. The rumor is that it will be smaller and lighter and it looks like their styling may be stepping back from the that goofy grin.

The new Shinari (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mazda-shinari-concept-in-detail/#3310388) concept turns the goofy grin into more of a vicious sucker fish.