PDA

View Full Version : Oooooo...Baltimore!

NismoZ
08-05-10, 07:56 PM
With the IRL. And Oklahoma City! The ALMS didn't like Lime Rock (me either...for ALMS) so they are looking to go to 2 new street circuits. My guess is, the decline continues.:(

Trevor Longman
08-05-10, 08:22 PM
This sucks. Lime Rock would actually be a great track if they got rid of that god awful west bend chicane, and it was the only ALMS race I go to every year. On Autosport they cite that the Baltimore race would replace Lime Rock in the critical Northeast market, but really, if ALMS was to run both events, how many fans would they lose to one race or the other? Not much I would think. The two are in completely different markets. To me, the only suitable replacement for Lime Rock that I would be ok with would be Watkins Glen (which funnily enough is where I am right now). It's a fantastic track that is actually in the same market as Lime Rock. Maybe it wouldn't draw as much of the Boston crowd but thats not such a big deal. But until nascar and isc release their stronghold on that track, ALMS doesn't stand a chance of running there.

cameraman
08-05-10, 10:53 PM
So they are likely going to an Oklahoma City:eek: street course for the first post-LeMans race? That was Miller Motor Sports Park this year. Are they dropping a long road course for street course in Oklahoma City???

Okay look at Tinker AFB, in Oklahoma City using Google maps. The satellite shot the picture exactly as :eek:5:eek: AWACs planes we taking off in close formation.

Counted wrong. Seven AWACs....

Gnam
08-06-10, 01:42 AM
wow. :thumbup:

That base is covered with planes.

edit: what a great reference scale. :D

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6369/tinkerafb.jpg

pchall
08-08-10, 12:15 PM
I remember when the IMSA race at Lime Rock on the Monday after the 500 completed one hellacious motorports weekend in North America. Where did motorsports like that disappear to?

nissan gtp
08-08-10, 06:37 PM
I remember when the IMSA race at Lime Rock on the Monday after the 500 completed one hellacious motorports weekend in North America. Where did motorsports like that disappear to?

Indy500/Monaco GP/Lime Rock IMSA was a great weekend :thumbup:

pchall
08-09-10, 10:03 AM
Indy500/Monaco GP/Lime Rock IMSA was a great weekend :thumbup:

I was thinking of the World 600 instead of Monaco, but NASCAR started killing itself in the mid 80s so it is easy to forget how great that race was back then.

High Sided
08-17-10, 09:18 AM
locals sure seem happy (see videos in link)
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/baltimore-grand-prix/bs-sp-irl-0816,0,6683800.story

Updated layout...
http://baltimoregrandprix.com/track/

Don Quixote
08-17-10, 09:52 AM
The locals are always happy at the start. It's all downhill from there once the they realize they've had their pockets picked by the smooth talking race promoters.

cameraman
08-17-10, 10:09 AM
Gotta love a pit entrance with two 90 corners...

Gnam
01-26-11, 03:55 PM
ALMS race promotion in Washington, D.C.

The American Le Mans Series will be a featured part of the U.S. Department of Energy’s green racing display at the Washington Auto Show, January 26-February 6.

On display will be the greenest race car in the American Le Mans Series – Dyson Racing’s Mazda-powered Lola prototype that competes using the biofuel isobutanol and bio-degradable G-OIL as its engine lubricant, an oil made from renewable animal fats.

Also on display will be a Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid and a Corvette ZR1. A year ago, Porsche introduced and competed with its racing hybrid flywheel technology in North America at Petit Le Mans, the American Le Mans Series signature event with its 911 GT3 R Hybrid. The Corvette ZR1 is the street version of its C6.R race car that competes using cellulosic E85.

No mention of a Brazilian ethanol fueled crapwagon making an apperance, but I wouldn't be surprised.

nissan gtp
01-26-11, 05:36 PM
ALMS race promotion in Washington, D.C.

No mention of a Brazilian ethanol fueled crapwagon making an apperance, but I wouldn't be surprised.

great, maybe they can revive the RFK parking lot race :gomer: it was only 105 degrees on raceday :flame:

STD
01-26-11, 06:22 PM
Updated layout...
http://baltimoregrandprix.com/track/

prat straight

High Sided
01-26-11, 07:28 PM
just read over 25,000 tickets sold already. row 11 up is sold out for sunday only ticket.

cameraman
01-26-11, 07:29 PM
Still sucks.

cameraman
01-26-11, 07:32 PM
just read over 25,000 tickets sold already. row 11 up is sold out for sunday only ticket.

Probably because they are all reserved for Saturday/Sunday tickets.

Methanolandbrats
01-26-11, 08:11 PM

Smells of corporate ticket giveaway.

High Sided
01-26-11, 08:15 PM
they must only offer a certain amount of sunday only because row 11 and up are available for 3 day and saturday purchases.

NismoZ
01-27-11, 10:32 AM
Hmmmm...WJZ says "Indy Grand Prix to have Huge Impact on Baltimore." I've seen huge impacts. They ain't all good!

indyfan31
01-27-11, 02:48 PM
Interesting.
If there's only 10 physical grandstands, why do the GS numbers go to "27"?
And, if I bought a "Pit Suite" ticket, I'm going to really pizzed if I can't see the pits from my seat. :\

SteveH
01-27-11, 03:15 PM
Thread title did it.....

yhdh8kSM7lY

Beat up little seagull
On a marble stair
Tryin' to find the ocean
Lookin' everywhere

Hard times in the city
In a hard town by the sea
Ain't nowhere to run to
There ain't nothin' here for free

Hooker on the corner
Waitin' for a train
Drunk lyin' on the sidewalk
Sleepin' in the rain

And they hide their faces
And they hide their eyes
'Cause the city's dyin'
And they don't know why

Oh Baltimore
Man it's hard just to live
Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to life, just to live

Get my sister Sandy
And my little brother Ray
Buy a big old wagon
To haul us all away

Live out in the country
Where the mountain's high
Never comin' back here
'Til the day I die

Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to live
Oh, Baltimore
Man, it's hard just to live, just to live

Steve99
01-29-11, 07:09 PM
They got a loan from the state just in time to pay the state to fund building part of the track. What a coincidence!

The organizers of the Baltimore Grand Prix received an unprecedented $500,000 loan from the state's economic development agency late last month, just as the group was required to make a $500,000 bond payment to the state's stadium authority.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/auto-racing/baltimore-grand-prix/bs-md-ci-grand-prix-loan-20110121,0,5108915,full.story

And still no title sponsor.