PDA

View Full Version : Pocono

opinionated ow
08-05-10, 05:47 AM
Was watching the highlights of the NASCAR race at Pocono from Sunday. Best NASCAR race I've ever seen, cars went forwards and backwards because of chosen lines and slipstreaming-there were overtakes, mistakes and no accidents. Why do NASCAR fans hate the place so much?

pchall
08-05-10, 07:24 AM
Besides being relatively isolated and just a good destination for the Winnebago crowd, NASCAR fans want close packs of cars, lots of meaningless passes, and some cool wrecks. I guess the Sadler wreck into the Armco/earth barrier wasn't good enough for the 'necks since it was obscured by smoke and didn't involve a dozen cars.

Despite the problems of the ownership not spending enough to maintain the track properly, Pocono is a unique track and provides good racing for those who actually remember what racing should be.

NismoZ
08-05-10, 09:17 AM
How long before they bank those turns to about 24 degrees?:shakehead Do need more catch fencing and SAFECO, however.

pchall
08-05-10, 01:36 PM
How long before they bank those turns to about 24 degrees?:shakehead Do need more catch fencing and SAFECO, however.

As long as the Mattioli brothers run Pocono nothing will be done. The certainly won't spend the money needed to "improve" the place so NASCRAP cars and drivers can run the place in their 1.5 mile D oval comfort zone, let alone fix the problems that have been there since the 80s.

dando
08-05-10, 01:40 PM
Pocono is a unique track and provides good racing for those who actually remember what racing should be.

Like Naz used to be before C^RT broke it. :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
08-10-10, 08:22 PM
Like Naz used to be before C^RT broke it. :irked: :shakehead

-Kevin

I take it you mean CART couldn't figure out what aero package to use. Perhaps. I massively enjoyed every race I saw there. Even the IRL race I watched if for no other reason that the wankers couldn't figure it out.

The biggest knock on Pocono is that it is so huge that even from the main grandstand the entire track can't be seen. Even the front stretch is hard to see from the grandstand.

The teams and fans also hate it because the turns are so different that any set up is a compromise for a stock car. It is actually much better suited to open wheel formula cars. I saw some great races there in the Indy car days.

Another HUGE change is they no longer allow panel trucks and such in the infield. Back in the day the best place to watch a race was the infield camped out in a particular corner or wandering around the track sort of like a road course. That's how I used to do it, mostly watching Indy cars trying to figure out the tunnel turn. The long straights were only useful to ensure massive speed was brought into the corners. But they make it hard to have a good race weekend in the infield now and the stands don't offer much so there you go. Except that 100000 plus people always show up for NASCAR