PDA

View Full Version : The End Is Near

Duroc
07-27-10, 12:59 AM
Anthony Schoettle on the Brickyard's (http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/07/26/nascar-insiders-want-brickyard-400-under-lights/PARAMS/post/21316) problems. The only thing I would add is if their NASCAR cash cow has taken that kind of revenue hit it's very likely the 500 is now in the red. The vultures are circling.

More adventures in insanity (http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/2010/07/randy-bernard.html) from Rodeo Randy. $400,000 from the State of Wisconsin? Right. :saywhat: My racing series is planning a run at the Mile just as soon as their check for $1.5 million hits my bank account. :shakehead :laugh: :rofl:

emjaya
07-27-10, 07:32 AM
Anthony Schoettle on the Brickyard's (http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/07/26/nascar-insiders-want-brickyard-400-under-lights/PARAMS/post/21316) problems. The only thing I would add is if their NASCAR cash cow has taken that kind of revenue hit it's very likely the 500 is now in the red. The vultures are circling.

Some of the comments on that story are interesting. ;)

More adventures in insanity (http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/2010/07/randy-bernard.html) from Rodeo Randy. $400,000 from the State of Wisconsin? Right. :saywhat: My racing series is planning a run at the Mile just as soon as their check for $1.5 million hits my bank account. :shakehead :laugh: :rofl:

I would laugh, but that is exactly what the A1GP said to the clowns running Surfers...and they sent the cheque.

I just hope the IRL has lost the Queensland goverments phone number.

dando
07-27-10, 10:11 AM
Lots and lots of bare metal on Sunday.

-Kevin

STD
07-27-10, 01:12 PM
Schoettle. :rofl:

Duroc
07-27-10, 01:32 PM
I would laugh, but that is exactly what the A1GP said to the clowns running Surfers...and they sent the cheque.

Terry Angstadt on the Baltimore race:

“There are no guarantees,” he said. “But I can come as close to saying this will be a successful event.”

:thumbup: :tony:

Wisconsin has a $2.5 billion budget shortfall. No politician wants to explain in an election year why they're handing cash to this bunch of grifters when teachers and firefighters are being let go.

TrueBrit
07-27-10, 04:22 PM
Lots and lots of bare metal on Sunday.

-Kevin

I saw that too..I was very surprised to see it at such a marquee event for the Necker's...

EVL29
07-28-10, 07:18 AM

Am I the only one who reads his byline as "asshottle"?

:tony:

Duroc
07-29-10, 01:09 AM
I saw that too..I was very surprised to see it at such a marquee event for the Necker's...

Have any of their races not had gaping grandstand holes in attendance this year?

IRL deathwatch news:

Angstadt (http://www.stargazette.com/article/20100728/SPORTS10/7280366/1119/Levanduski--IndyCar-official-s-comment-casts-doubt-on-series--future-at-WGI) pretty much confirms The Glen is joining the honor roll of former IRL tracks and Edmonton (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/07/26/edmonton-indy-octane-promoter-profit.html) is a fiscal disaster area.

dando
07-29-10, 10:14 AM
Have any of their races not had gaping grandstand holes in attendance this year?

As the article mentioned, attendance is dow 20% this year for Cab races. The BY 400 was WAY empty this year. Even Bristol has been running ads for their races, which is unheard of.

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
07-29-10, 10:18 AM
As the article mentioned, attendance is dow 20% this year for Cab races. The BY 400 was WAY empty this year. Even Bristol has been running ads for their races, which is unheard of.

-Kevin

COT + Chase + slick corporate drivers + super teams = traditional fans no longer GAF.

indyfan31
07-29-10, 10:30 AM
COT + Chase + slick corporate drivers + super teams = traditional fans no longer GAF.

Dead-on conclusion. :thumbup:

dando
07-29-10, 11:12 AM

Frankly I think it's due more to the homogenization of motor sports in general (chassis, engines, drivers). The thrill factor has been removed from the sport outside of The Big One or the Flying Car Redux.

lqAuuIDU2sw

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
07-29-10, 03:48 PM
Dead-on conclusion. :thumbup:

I agree but would add that, especially for NASCAR they blew past the upper limit on price a good while ago (mandatory ticket packages being height of arrogance). Combined with absolute overexposure of the sport there isn't much that is special or exciting to pay several hundred dollars a seat (not counting the trimmings).

Add in an economic collapse and NASCAR can become as yesterday as balloon pants and leg warmers.

patski
07-29-10, 03:52 PM
I agree but would add that, especially for NASCAR they blew past the upper limit on price a good while ago (mandatory ticket packages being height of arrogance). Combined with absolute overexposure of the sport there isn't much that is special or exciting to pay several hundred dollars a seat (not counting the trimmings).

Add in an economic collapse and NASCAR can become as yesterday as balloon pants and leg warmers.

We can hope!

Methanolandbrats
07-29-10, 04:18 PM

Ya, that too. They actually began jacking up ticket prices in the early 90s. That began to price out a lot of long time fans. Whole families saved up in those days to go to a race or two. I know this because I went to Martinsville, Darlington, Bristol, Rockingham (Kulwicki days) and Michigan during that period. Being a Yankee everytime I spoke, someone would ask me where I was from and strike up a conversation. Very friendly people and good times. That's when I heard the grumbling start about ticket prices going up. That situation got worse and then they took all the "stock" out of stock car racing. The changes to the racing also made sure there would never be another Dave Marcis or other little guy on the track. That further alienated the regular fan base. It's clear now to nearly everyone that stock car racing is to racing what the WWF is to the sport of wrestling.

Indy
07-29-10, 09:26 PM
Like the IRL, you wonder how they can be so stupid.

I suppose at some point hucksters have lost their souls to the point that they just turn to more and greater gimmicks, regardless of the obvious evidence that gimmickry is the problem.

Andrew Longman
07-29-10, 10:54 PM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jul/29/owners-discuss-nascar-costs-popularity/sports/

Owners circling the wagons? What happened to the benevolent dictatorship and the grateful cowering teams happy to just suck on the teet of the France motherload?

Indy
07-29-10, 11:26 PM
Hendrick refers to "the show." :shakehead

Michaelhatesfans
07-30-10, 01:33 AM

Indeed. Tony ****hole must have had one hell of a time in jr. high.:laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
07-30-10, 01:53 AM
Wisconsin has a $2.5 billion budget shortfall. No politician wants to explain in an election year why they're handing cash to this bunch of grifters when teachers and firefighters are being let go.

Yes, it's an epidemic in all of sports, whether it's putting on a race or building a new stadium or a new track. We see this crap in the Pacific Northwest all the time.

"Look, I've got this really good thing going. All you have to do is front half of the money, and we'll both be rolling in it."

I keep wondering when local politicians will wake up to the idea of, "if it's such a great ****ing investement, why don't you just do it and keep all the profits for yourself?":irked:

Elmo T
07-30-10, 05:43 AM
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/jul/29/owners-discuss-nascar-costs-popularity/sports/

Owners circling the wagons? What happened to the benevolent dictatorship and the grateful cowering teams happy to just suck on the teet of the France motherload?

Is there a NASCAR White Paper on the horizon??

mueber
07-30-10, 11:53 AM
Wishful thinking at best. The Barnyard is still a prestige event for NASCAR, even if Bubba can't see da hole track. I can't imagine them ever leaving Gomerville, especially for another venue. It's far more likely that one day they will own Gomerville.

STD
07-30-10, 01:55 PM
First thing they will do is fix that degree of banking problem. :rofl:

Duroc
08-01-10, 11:38 AM
Effiin' sunk costs, how do they work? (http://www.ibj.com/nascar-decline-not-good-for-openwheel-racing/PARAMS/article/21414)

:shakehead

trish
08-01-10, 12:51 PM
Effiin' sunk costs, how do they work? (http://www.ibj.com/nascar-decline-not-good-for-openwheel-racing/PARAMS/article/21414)

NASCAR decline not good for open-wheel racing

And here I thought it was the other way around. Killing off the competition is not always a good thing. My interest in NASCAR has waned as the type of motorsport I preferred is no longer in existence.

oddlycalm
08-02-10, 03:38 PM

Using the profits from the cab race to fund the EARL and kill it's competitor was a failed strategy from the get go and one that destroyed the sport. The ripples from that decision have had a devastating effect on fans, supplier, teams, drivers, and many people behind the scenes. It's only right that it kills the EARL and eventually I think we'll see that it kills the IMS as well.

oc

mueber
08-02-10, 04:26 PM
No one in NASCAR is stupid enough to schedule a race in Kentucky that will hurt the Barnyard, No one.

Andrew Longman
08-02-10, 05:26 PM
And here I thought it was the other way around. Killing off the competition is not always a good thing. My interest in NASCAR has waned as the type of motorsport I preferred is no longer in existence.
Same here. I'm not sure I would have predicted that.

Indy
08-02-10, 06:07 PM
My interest in all other types of motorsport is greatly diminished. F1 is the only thing left worth watching on TV (though it is no tragedy if I miss a race), and I no longer travel to any races of any kind.

I think Champ Car provided the magic that made it all relevant to me.

Indy
08-02-10, 06:09 PM
It's only right that it kills the EARL and eventually I think we'll see that it kills the IMS as well.

That's what Randy doesn't get. We no longer want anything back. We want justice.

TravelGal
08-03-10, 05:20 PM
My interest in all other types of motorsport is greatly diminished. F1 is the only thing left worth watching on TV (though it is no tragedy if I miss a race), and I no longer travel to any races of any kind.

I think Champ Car provided the magic that made it all relevant to me.

True for me on all points as well. No amount of paint on the pig's face is going to change what remains into what Champ Car had.

TrueBrit
08-04-10, 09:57 AM
F1 is the only thing left worth watching on TV

I still watch Lee Mons religiously..it is STILL the world's single greatest motor race despite the annual efforts of the ACO..but I always used to watch F-1 too..getting up at Oh Dark thirty on the left coast to watch them live..now I can't even seem to remember to DVR the damn things..I have a fervent hope that Tony Cokespoon and Bernie the Poisoned Dwarf spend a fiery eternity strapped down and forced to watch Oprah re-runs..:flame::mad::flame:

Duroc
08-04-10, 03:57 PM
The Kentucky date is supposed to come from NH, which explains the triumphant return of the IRL to New England.

IMS going for the Nationwide date (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100730/SPORTS01/7300345/1004/SPORTS) from IRP? My experience has been that management teams at companies under duress grab for immediate revenue streams while ignoring the longer term ramifications. At some point what was the crown jewel of American motorsports becomes just another mid-tier market track with attendance problems.

Elmo T
08-04-10, 04:16 PM
At some point what was the crown jewel of American motorsports becomes just another mid-tier market track with attendance problems.

Were we talking about NASCAR or IRL? :rolleyes:

For the IRL, that sounds like a glass half full outlook.

JohnHKart
08-08-10, 07:28 AM

The races are boring. There's nobody cool like Dale Sr, or even Rusty Wallace or Dale Jarrett, or Ricky Rudd. These guys were corporate but had charisma and personality.