PDA

View Full Version : Montoya / Gordon Swap

Wheel-Nut
06-10-03, 12:46 PM
No, not wives, cars. Just a heads up.

LINK (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/autoindustry/6686/)

cart7
06-10-03, 12:57 PM
I say Jeffy's getting the better deal in this one.

racer2c
06-10-03, 12:59 PM
"hey Jeff. wanna drive an F1 Car? Oh and Juan, you can jump in that thing if you want".

RobGuru
06-10-03, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by cart7
I say Jeffy's getting the better deal in this one.

No doubt...
Who thinks Jeffie will be faster than DNF in the McLaren from last year. Hope someone keeps track of this!

KobySon
06-10-03, 01:39 PM
No fair comparing Jeff to DNF!!! Jeff must have the weight advantage by at least 30 pounds...

RaceChic
06-10-03, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
No fair comparing Jeff to DNF!!! Jeff must have the weight advantage by at least 30 pounds...

Plus HE knows where the gas pedal is and that walls weren't put there to run into..... :shakehead Why isn't Montoya driving the TaxiCab around the oval? I don't know how I'd feel about a NASCAB driver taking my F1 car on a road course. I know they do road courses, but rarely. Does Jeff Gordon remember his left from his right? :) He's gonna hit the gas and get the surprise of his life! I can't wait to see this. Anyone know if there is live feed online so I can see it from my office rather than wait till I get home tomorrow night? :confused:

Railbird
06-10-03, 02:26 PM
Montoya claims it was his choice to run the road course rather than the oval, but I've got to believe he was under a little pressure to not bust his ass mid-season. So he decided not to chance a cab induced meeting with the safer.

Gordon said he was clueless as to what to expect as he had never sat in anything like an F1 car.

Hell, I was hoping they would run both cars on both track configs.

of course the weather prediction is for rain.

Wheel-Nut
06-10-03, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
. . . . of course the weather prediction is for rain.

No problem, I am sure they can find some Michelins to fit the Taxi. Montoya loves the rain.

Railbird
06-10-03, 04:43 PM
I'm not concerned with the drivers, I'm sure both can handle whatever comes up as this deal is just for grins and giggles. My concerns lie with my skinny ass getting wet while watching them play.

Ziggy
06-10-03, 04:43 PM
From what I hear, Montoya is not crazy about this. Went over today, and Juan was getting ready for the test. Tomorrow is the big day... with each guy getting twenty minutes in each other's car. The grand finale will be both sleds on the track at the same time.

Ziggy

Wheel-Nut
06-10-03, 04:51 PM
. . . My concerns lie with my skinny ass getting wet while watching them play.

Although I don't know you but something tells me you're a tough ol' bird!!! :rofl: A little rain isn't going to kill ya, it will keep the crowds down.:rofl:

RaceChic
06-10-03, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
From what I hear, Montoya is not crazy about this. Went over today, and Juan was getting ready for the test. Tomorrow is the big day... with each guy getting twenty minutes in each other's car. The grand finale will be both sleds on the track at the same time.

Gee........ Which car will be faster???!!!??? Well I guess that all depends on what Jeff Gordon can quickly learn to get out of the WilliamsBMW F1 car. I wonder what the facial expression will be on Montoya's face after driving the taxi? Will he be able to hide the boredom with the car all that well if that turns out to be the case, which I have little doubt of..... Can't wait to see. (Praying to the racing gods for a live video feed online) :D

oddlycalm
06-10-03, 06:34 PM
Well, at least Gordon is about as good a choice as they could have made. Aside from being able to fit in the cockpit, he actually has skills, and isn't likely to take an F1 car lightly. In a lot of ways, Gordon would have been better off in a formula car. He seems to have the right temperment, and probably wouldn't be widely hated by the fans as he is in NASCAR.

oc

Railbird
06-10-03, 08:28 PM
I agree OC, Jeffy probably could have cut it in just about anything, too bad he decided to take the path of least resistance.

after that Sebring exhibition I think Kurt Busch would have been another interesting candidate.

cart7
06-11-03, 09:35 AM
after that Sebring exhibition I think Kurt Busch would have been another interesting candidate.
He didn't do too bad in his first ever sprint race at Irwindale either when he was running as high as 6th in the new Focus Midget race.

Turn7
06-11-03, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by cart7
He didn't do too bad in his first ever sprint race at Irwindale either when he was running as high as 6th in the new Focus Midget race.

Was that Kurt or his younger brother Kyle?

devilmaster
06-11-03, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
Was that Kurt or his younger brother Kyle?

It was Kurt. IIRC he ran high as six, but a late spin dropped him back a bit, he picked up a couple spots on the restart, ended 11th(?)or something like that.

Steve

oddlycalm
06-11-03, 09:11 PM
Both drivers did great IMO, and had a great time. As I suspected Gordon was able to get down to respectable qualifying times from last year's USGP in last year's Williams, and JPM was close to Gordon's time on his setup runs. So much for those that scoffed...

oc

Walter Zoomie
06-12-03, 07:49 AM
Very cool. It made me smile. Can't wait for September! Here's a link to some photos of the event.

http://209.43.92.201/ims/media/photos/gallery_public.php?uid=4794eda272e1d893b01c8fbddd4 1766c

Sean O'Gorman
07-10-06, 05:54 PM
bump

Spicoli
07-10-06, 06:15 PM
bump

Why? :gomer:

cartman
07-11-06, 11:50 AM
Why? :gomer:

Because it's very relevant to recent news.

Anteater
07-11-06, 01:01 PM
When the JPM to NASCAR press con was on, I did think of the "Trading Paint" show, and thought it would be cool if Jeff Gordon went to F1. It would be interesting to see how he does there, plus it would be wonderful to see NASCAR lose one of their biggest stars to open wheel. Oops, did I say that out loud? :p