PDA

View Full Version : Car and Driver Article On PT

TedN
07-10-10, 02:25 PM
Link (http://tinyurl.com/2foshrb)

Ted

NismoZ
07-10-10, 03:21 PM
:rofl:"Big blue mark on the wall." Wouldn't be the last one, either. I took a pic of a PT wall smack at The Mile, last ChampCar race there, I think. Went back to an IRL meet the next year and there, in the infield along the road course at the north end, was the section of wall with PT's black and blue reminder all over it.:D I'll look for that and see if I can get my kid to post it here. Interesting photo. I wish I could post the sound, too. It was a brutal hit. No SAFER.

G.
07-10-10, 05:41 PM
:rofl:"Big blue mark on the wall." Wouldn't be the last one, either. I took a pic of a PT wall smack at The Mile, last ChampCar race there, I think.

I got one of those, I think.

:thumbup:

emjaya
07-10-10, 06:45 PM
From the back of his multimillion-dollar Tuscan-themed manse, all that’s visible is a golf fairway and a couple of 900-foot mountains that are illuminated at night by spotlights.

O/T: 900 foot...mountains?

TravelGal
07-10-10, 09:22 PM
O/T: 900 foot...mountains?

:) When all the world is flat, 900 feet is a mountain. Reminds me of my first drive through West Lafayette, IN. We were lost and the guy told us to turn this and that and then go up the hill. We never saw the hill. Must have been a 5-foot rise in elevation over quarter of a mile. :shakehead edit: On further thought and not to exaggerate, it must have been a 25 foot rise in elevation.

nrc
07-10-10, 10:16 PM
I read it in the dead tree edition. They pose the question of why Tracy doesn't have a ride but never really answer it. For one thing he probably wants to be paid. For another, since a win in the IRL pretty much means nothing there aren't many teams willing to pay Tracy's repair bills to improve their chances of scoring one.

Interesting retrospective, though.

Indy
07-10-10, 11:09 PM
:) When all the world is flat, 900 feet is a mountain. Reminds me of my first drive through West Lafayette, IN. We were lost and the guy told us to turn this and that and then go up the hill. We never saw the hill. Must have been a 5-foot rise in elevation over quarter of a mile. :shakehead edit: On further thought and not to exaggerate, it must have been a 25 foot rise in elevation.

Sweety, West Lafayette is hilly for Central Indiana. :gomer:

oddlycalm
07-12-10, 08:39 PM
What the Hell Happened to Paul Tracy? Easy, million dollar hand eye coordination packaged with the self control of a 3yr old. After he launched into a shoving match with Barry Greene in Houston he was effectively finished in racing. Forsythe hired him because he was popular in Canada but he didn't show him any respect and nobody else would have him on a regular basis.

oc

Fio1
07-14-10, 01:37 AM
om the Phoenix debacle, Tracy drove directly to L.A. for the Long Beach Grand Prix. To kill time midweek, he and a friend rented a pair of shifter karts and went at each other with a venge ance. At 90 mph, they tangled. Both karts flipped. “I had no gloves,” Tracy remembers, “and I slid down the straight on my hands, hips, elbows, arms. I’m road rash top to bottom—pure hamburger. And the next day is press day at Long Beach. I showed up, band ages leaking blood, and I lied. I told everyone I was exercising on a mountain bike and fell down the whole friggin’ mountain.

:laugh::laugh: I was waiting for this part! I was there, is was at Adams Kart track in Riverside. He made an impossible pass and flipped the kart. The funny thing was, I went 2-off that lap and lost a couple seconds; if I hadn't I'd probably have run straight into him while he was lying on the ground...:shakehead

rosawendel
07-14-10, 06:11 AM
What the Hell Happened to Paul Tracy? Easy, million dollar hand eye coordination packaged with the self control of a 3yr old. After he launched into a shoving match with Barry Greene in Houston he was effectively finished in racing. Forsythe hired him because he was popular in Canada but he didn't show him any respect and nobody else would have him on a regular basis.

oc

I remember at Mid-Ohio during a fan interview session a 5 or 6 year old asked Barry if he prayed. Cute moment; unexpected question and all. Barry didn't miss a beat - his response: "I've got Dario Franchitti and Paul Tracy on the same team. I pray every day".

NismoZ
07-14-10, 08:27 AM
The only driver I ever saw who, when being transported back to the pits by ambulance after chopping a competitor into T-3 at the Chicago Paperclip, had tens of thousands (really!) rise in the main grandstand, boo and flip him the bird.:D Not a smart move that day either. I think if he couldn't make the "impossible pass" that day, he sure as heck wasn't going to let someone else make a clean one.

JohnHKart
07-14-10, 12:27 PM
om the Phoenix debacle, Tracy drove directly to L.A. for the Long Beach Grand Prix. To kill time midweek, he and a friend rented a pair of shifter karts and went at each other with a venge ance. At 90 mph, they tangled. Both karts flipped. “I had no gloves,” Tracy remembers, “and I slid down the straight on my hands, hips, elbows, arms. I’m road rash top to bottom—pure hamburger. And the next day is press day at Long Beach. I showed up, band ages leaking blood, and I lied. I told everyone I was exercising on a mountain bike and fell down the whole friggin’ mountain.

:laugh::laugh: I was waiting for this part! I was there, is was at Adams Kart track in Riverside. He made an impossible pass and flipped the kart. The funny thing was, I went 2-off that lap and lost a couple seconds; if I hadn't I'd probably have run straight into him while he was lying on the ground...:shakehead

Loved the article. Bought the issue last week as I'm thinking of subscribing to CandD. Laughed my head off at the funny parts...especially this story! Had no idea this happened back then! Funny how Mansell's back was such a big deal that weekend at LB but Tracy's injuries were kept silent, even though he was hurting bad too.

Interesting, one issue on the newstand is half the cost of 12 if I subscribe :eek:

BarillaGirl
07-14-10, 01:20 PM
I remember at Mid-Ohio during a fan interview session a 5 or 6 year old asked Barry if he prayed. Cute moment; unexpected question and all. Barry didn't miss a beat - his response: "I've got Dario Franchitti and Paul Tracy on the same team. I pray every day".

:rofl::rofl::rofl: