PDA

View Full Version : Silverstone 2010

BarillaGirl
07-09-10, 06:53 PM
Just starting a thread for others to add to..... finally watched my "tape" of practice. That's a lot of off-road activity. :eek::eek:

And Bruno is sitting out this race. Thoughts?

Methanolandbrats
07-09-10, 07:19 PM
Just starting a thread for others to add to..... finally watched my "tape" of practice. That's a lot of off-road activity. :eek::eek:

And Bruno is sitting out this race. Thoughts?

1) they ruined the track
2) Bruno sucks and ran out of cash

opinionated ow
07-10-10, 02:30 AM
1) they ruined the track
2) Bruno sucks and ran out of cash

1) Not seen it, but the drivers don't like it and want to go back onto the real circuit.
2) Bruno doesn't suck, people I know who worked with him out here speak extremely highly of his driving and technical abilities. He may have run out of money BUT he's racing the rest of the season according to the team-should be interesting!

Fio1
07-10-10, 11:37 AM
Anybody else find it funny that the British GP is being held on the same weekend as the World Cup finals? I guess the British GP organizer new there was no chance in England making it to the WC Finals. :laugh:

dando
07-10-10, 11:54 AM
Reminder that it's tape-delayed on Fox tomorrow.

-Kevin

TrueBrit
07-10-10, 05:02 PM
Anybody else find it funny that the British GP is being held on the same weekend as the World Cup finals? I guess the British GP organizer new there was no chance in England making it to the WC Finals. :laugh:

Nah..the British GP is where British sports fans can go and support their fellow countrymen's sporting efforts without the need to shave their heads, loose their front teef and drink Stella whilst admiring their British Bulldog tat's.

And that's just the birds..:eek:

cameraman
07-10-10, 07:59 PM
1) Not seen it, but the drivers don't like it and want to go back onto the real circuit.
Actually Vettel likes it a a lot.

Indy
07-10-10, 11:25 PM
Vettel looked like he was overcome with girlish glee at having such a clearly dominant car. Webber looked like he was definitely thinking about taking Vettel out at the first turn. I am thinking that Hamilton or Alonso could kick the **** out of either one of them in identical equipment.

eiregosod
07-11-10, 07:41 AM

the British GP and World Cup final happened in 1998

even if England made it to the finals it wouldn't impact on the attendence

mapguy
07-11-10, 08:13 AM
Vettel chokes. I love it! I am now a Webbah fan.

TrueBrit
07-11-10, 09:32 AM
Brilliant race! Vettel = The 'new' Buttmacher...if things don't go his way he throws the toys out of the pram and pouts...what a wanker..:shakehead

trish
07-11-10, 11:44 AM
Sounds like I should watch this.

Insomniac
07-11-10, 02:21 PM
Vettel was too concerned about Webber and Webber gave it right back to him and sent right to the back of the order. I didn't see the same pouting that TB saw though. (Of course, saying Schumacher gives up when everything isn't perfect seems disingenuous, but that's just me.) Anyone figure out how Massa ended up with a flat? The replays of the start left a lot to be desired. No Hamilton replay?

The middle of the race SC added some more racing. Hopefully Bernie doesn't realize and start with the NASCAR competition yellows "for the show". Overall though, it was pretty racy for a sunny day.

I wonder if there will be another adjustment to penalties after the Alonso debacle. Gain a position, ends up at the end of the line. I think it would've been more fair to just leave him out there during the SC and have him let cars go past until he lost a position. It's amazing how difficult the FIA makes officiating look. They manage to find the most inappropriate penalties way more often then not.

That was a quiet, but good drive for Button. Vettel was out there really pushing the car. Especially on such old tires.

oddlycalm
07-11-10, 06:17 PM
Webber continues to give his team indigestion. :D :thumbup: Another nice drive by Button to recover from yesterdays disaster. Rosberg looks racy once again while Schumacher is back there dicing with the younger drivers who more often than not best him. :laugh:

Silverstone is changed but remains fast and furry. Nice to see a real audience instead of a few dozen men in muftis.

oc

SteveH
07-11-10, 07:04 PM
Silverstone is changed but remains fast and furry. Nice to see a real audience instead of a few dozen men in muftis.

oc

Agree on both accounts. The course is great, they didn't screw it up. And the crowd was fantastic. :thumbup:

Indy
07-11-10, 08:45 PM
Can't stand Webber, but I am cheering for him to beat the crap out of Vettel. Just to piss off the Austrian pieces of **** who run that team.

oddlycalm
07-12-10, 03:38 AM
Can't stand Webber, but I am cheering for him to beat the crap out of Vettel. Just to piss off the Austrian pieces of **** who run that team.
That's what the suits call an "interesting dynamic." :laugh: Between his aerial launches and take-no-prisoners approach to Vettel it does seem to make the races more lively...

oc

BarillaGirl
07-12-10, 09:10 AM
Webber looked like he was definitely thinking about taking Vettel out at the first turn.

I saw that look on his face, too. "Let's see, how soon can I chop this guy across the front wing and sail on to the finish? What do you mean I have to wait until the first turn?"

opinionated ow
07-12-10, 09:30 AM
I may be alone in this, but I reckon this race has been pretty dull...

What the hell is with increasing already announced penalties though? Seriously the FIA seems to have it in for Alonso-that was unprecedented and ludicrous!

Gnam
07-12-10, 01:05 PM
Vettel is 0-2 when tangling with Weber. Does he go back for thirds?

Also, on the Speed Report Weber gave an interview saying he would not sign with a team that put him in the 2nd driver position, and that he was sure what happened this weekend wouldn't happen again.

I doubt Red Bull shares his view.

TrueBrit
07-12-10, 01:43 PM
I didn't see the same pouting that TB saw though. (Of course, saying Schumacher gives up when everything isn't perfect seems disingenuous, but that's just me.)

I was a watching the BBC broadcast and Vettel was in full-on whinge mode with his pits until the SC gifted him back all the time he'd lost.

I didn't say Buttmacher gave up, I said he throws his toys out of the pram and pouted...a distinctly different juvenile response...

Hard Driver
07-12-10, 02:08 PM
Seems to me that while Vettel tried to squeeze Webber before the first turn, he didn't hit him (this time) and that it was Webber that pushed Vettel off the track.

Personally, I think Webber is going to get more crap from the team for taking his teamate off course than any congratulations from the team. And truthfully I might agree. Webber basically screwed a Red Bull 1-2 finish.

As far as the track... I think it is pretty good except for that Bump.

Gnam
07-12-10, 02:29 PM
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4342/silverstone2010470x308.jpg

You can see where the new and old track split.
And check out that new pit complex. They should have gone for a Tudor or castle theme instead. :p

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3016/4459742024d7a4e45ec9b.jpg

TrueBrit
07-12-10, 03:14 PM
I never was the biggest Silverstone fan growing up, but boy-oh-boy have they ****ed that track up..admittedly not as bad as Hockenheim, but pretty close..

I am so glad they left Brands Hatch the hell alone...I'd rather have it left the way it was than have it "updated" and "Tilke'd" to death..

Don Quixote
07-12-10, 03:28 PM
When Vettel came up behing the pointy chinned one, all I could think was if you have ever chopped anybody in your entire career, now would be a great time to do it. Damn if he didn't basically move over and let Vettel go by. :mad: :gomer:

Insomniac
07-12-10, 04:45 PM
I was a watching the BBC broadcast and Vettel was in full-on whinge mode with his pits until the SC gifted him back all the time he'd lost.

I didn't say Buttmacher gave up, I said he throws his toys out of the pram and pouted...a distinctly different juvenile response...

Fair enough. On FOX, they kept that to themselves.

Insomniac
07-12-10, 04:51 PM
I may be alone in this, but I reckon this race has been pretty dull...

What the hell is with increasing already announced penalties though? Seriously the FIA seems to have it in for Alonso-that was unprecedented and ludicrous!

I don't think they increased it. They aren't going to let anyone serve a drive through under the SC. Alonso was just a victim of circumstance there. He didn't come in, SC bunches up the field, he can only come in after it goes green. IMO, they should've changed the penalty given the SC, but if they felt what he did was wrong, then he got what he deserved. He could've rectified it on track right then and there.

I think this is where CART was way better than F1 is. The team would've talked to the chief steward and they would've been able to tell their driver to let the other guy past. Officiating isn't that hard. We can see what happened and figure out how to fix it very quickly after an incident occurs. These guys mull it over for a few laps, then announce they are investigating, then finally get around to a penalty.

Insomniac
07-12-10, 04:53 PM
Seems to me that while Vettel tried to squeeze Webber before the first turn, he didn't hit him (this time) and that it was Webber that pushed Vettel off the track.

Personally, I think Webber is going to get more crap from the team for taking his teamate off course than any congratulations from the team. And truthfully I might agree. Webber basically screwed a Red Bull 1-2 finish.

As far as the track... I think it is pretty good except for that Bump.

I think it was about what you'd expect from 2 competitors. Only because they were teammates was it stupid. Vettel was too busy chopping to get a good start and Webber wasn't going to leave room. They are both crappy teammates. But good for us since we don't get much of that between teams. :)

STD
07-12-10, 04:56 PM
They all whine when it's time anymore. Fandom finds the correct justifications. ;)

Gnam
07-12-10, 05:54 PM
II think this is where CART was way better than F1 is. The team would've talked to the chief steward and they would've been able to tell their driver to let the other guy past.

I remember a race at Montreal where Glock in the yellow DHL Rocketsports car kept straight-lining the chicane to keep Servia behind him. They solved that one right after it happened.

opinionated ow
07-12-10, 08:08 PM
I don't think they increased it. They aren't going to let anyone serve a drive through under the SC. Alonso was just a victim of circumstance there. He didn't come in, SC bunches up the field, he can only come in after it goes green. IMO, they should've changed the penalty given the SC, but if they felt what he did was wrong, then he got what he deserved. He could've rectified it on track right then and there.

I think this is where CART was way better than F1 is. The team would've talked to the chief steward and they would've been able to tell their driver to let the other guy past. Officiating isn't that hard. We can see what happened and figure out how to fix it very quickly after an incident occurs. These guys mull it over for a few laps, then announce they are investigating, then finally get around to a penalty.

They had already announced that Alonso had to give the position back. That was the announced penalty. Not long after they announced it, the Renault failed. Martin Brundle said that was an unfair penalty because they had already announced one and then increased it to a drive through.

grungex
07-12-10, 09:56 PM
That was the punishment for his public complaining about the officiating in the previous race. :p

TrueBrit
07-13-10, 09:11 AM
Fair enough. On FOX, they kept that to themselves.

Certainly not the first time anyone didn't get the whole story from Fox...;)

WickerBill
07-13-10, 09:51 AM
When Vettel came up behing the pointy chinned one, all I could think was if you have ever chopped anybody in your entire career, now would be a great time to do it. Damn if he didn't basically move over and let Vettel go by. :mad: :gomer:

+1

I was thinking precisely the same thing.

TrueBrit
07-13-10, 10:24 AM
+1

I was thinking precisely the same thing.

Me three..but then it dawned on me..he was extending professional courtesy in the same way sharks do to lawyers...;)

Insomniac
07-13-10, 10:25 AM
They had already announced that Alonso had to give the position back. That was the announced penalty. Not long after they announced it, the Renault failed. Martin Brundle said that was an unfair penalty because they had already announced one and then increased it to a drive through.

On TV here, the F1 graphics said the incident was being investigated then a couple laps later the graphics said he was assessed a drive through penalty. The the SC came out a couple laps later.

That is really messed up that they enhanced the penalty because Kubica's car failed. I had no idea. Should've had him give up 5s or something on track.

opinionated ow
07-13-10, 11:16 AM
On TV here, the F1 graphics said the incident was being investigated then a couple laps later the graphics said he was assessed a drive through penalty. The the SC came out a couple laps later.

That is really messed up that they enhanced the penalty because Kubica's car failed. I had no idea. Should've had him give up 5s or something on track.

more to it than that yet...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258

cameraman
07-13-10, 12:30 PM
Looks like Charlie Whiting is sick of Ferrari's whinging:laugh:

TrueBrit
07-13-10, 01:19 PM
Looks like Charlie Whiting is sick of Ferrari's whinging:laugh:

..about damned time too...

Insomniac
07-13-10, 02:52 PM
more to it than that yet...
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258

What a mess. Without knowing the entire timeline, it seems they had it coming. They chose to let it fall to the stewards to decide.

By the way, what does Charlie Whiting do? "Advised them." Why can't he order them? Give it back and if you don't, you get black flagged.

cameraman
07-13-10, 07:54 PM
Some how I think that any "advice" you get from Charlie Whiting over the radio might well be considered to be an order. At least anyone with a functioning brain might believe that.

Gnam
07-13-10, 08:23 PM
There's no guarantee that following Charlie's "advice" would prevent a penalty. The stewards could just have easily issued a ruling that Alonso giving up the spot wasn't enough. [/devils advocate]

chop456
07-14-10, 05:09 AM
Has anyone ever been penalized after conceding the position? (Within a reasonable amount of laps).

NismoZ
07-14-10, 08:40 AM
Yeah, the penalty was to repass the guy ASAP!:D Seriously, though, would YOU give up a position in F-1 without a direct order knowing that organization's history of "rules" interpretation and enforcement? Not likely.

BarillaGirl
07-14-10, 01:16 PM
Yeah, the penalty was to repass the guy ASAP!:D Seriously, though, would YOU give up a position in F-1 without a direct order knowing that organization's history of "rules" interpretation and enforcement? Not likely.

I agree. No way Alonso was going to say "oh, please forgive me" and give up a position. Better to wait and see what they order you to do. Unfortunately for him, since Kubica's car wasn't around to give back the position to, a different penalty had to be applied. Maybe it seemed harsher because it was for Alonso's (and Ferrari's) decision to keep the position and wait and see?

At our house it didn't exactly seem Draconian. Maybe because Fred wore out his welcome here years ago.

RichK
07-14-10, 01:49 PM
Has anyone ever been penalized after conceding the position? (Within a reasonable amount of laps).

I think Hamilton was penalized at Spa after letting Kimi go by.

Ah, here it is:

article (http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/10099/900/)

TrueBrit
07-14-10, 02:40 PM
I think Hamilton was penalized at Spa after letting Kimi go by.

Ah, here it is:

article (http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/10099/900/)

Bearing that in mind maybe that whingeing, grassing little moaner had better just shut up and drive..hey...I think I just came up with a new moniker...

Insomniac
07-15-10, 10:58 AM
The conclusion is: F1 Stewards/Whiting suck.

emjaya
07-15-10, 07:54 PM
I agree. No way Alonso was going to say "oh, please forgive me" and give up a position. Better to wait and see what they order you to do. Unfortunately for him, since Kubica's car wasn't around to give back the position to, a different penalty had to be applied. Maybe it seemed harsher because it was for Alonso's (and Ferrari's) decision to keep the position and wait and see?

At our house it didn't exactly seem Draconian. Maybe because Fred wore out his welcome here years ago.

I disagree. By not yielding the position he forced the stewards to act.

BarillaGirl
07-21-10, 07:03 PM
I disagree. By not yielding the position he forced the stewards to act.

I thought that's what I said. Maybe my words are garbled, but I think we agree. :confused: