PDA

View Full Version : New car time

FTG
07-08-10, 10:29 PM
when the time came to trade in my old car, my original plan was to get something expensive and sporty: Boxster maybe. But I decided to simultaneously trade in the old wife - and the only thing more expensive than an old ex is a new young girl friend- so I need something sporty and cheap.

I took a look at a used Boxster, but for 25 grand everything had over 100 K. Wouldn't last longer. Repairs would be a bitch. I was thinking a new Civic would be cheap, fun to drive and last a long time. If I learn from my mistakes, I could afford to race it down the road. Same thing if I marry rich.

Anything else I should be looking at. A Civic is not really a chick magnet. (Be nice if I could get something big enough to fit a bicycle in the back. Fit young chicks like to bike.)

Methanolandbrats
07-08-10, 10:39 PM
when the time came to trade in my old car, my original plan was to get something expensive and sporty: Boxster maybe. But I decided to simultaneously trade in the old wife - and the only thing more expensive than an old ex is a new young girl friend- so I need something sporty and cheap.

I took a look at a used Boxster, but for 25 grand everything had over 100 K. Wouldn't last longer. Repairs would be a bitch. I was thinking a new Civic would be cheap, fun to drive and last a long time. If I learn from my mistakes, I could afford to race it down the road. Same thing if I marry rich.

Anything else I should be looking at. A Civic is not really a chick magnet. (Be nice if I could get something big enough to fit a bicycle in the back. Fit young chicks like to bike.)

Tune a used Miata, it will be quicker than all that ****. Civic is junk and Boxster motor is a POS.

FTG
07-08-10, 10:46 PM
Tune a used Miata, it will be quicker than all that ****. Civic is junk and Boxster motor is a POS.

Miata is a woman's car. Not 16 anymore. Having wheels isn't enough. Gotta have the right wheels. Gotta look like I could afford a lot more, but I'm too cool. ("The Ex got the Acura" doesn't cut it.) "Had an Acura but I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint" would be OK.

TrueBrit
07-08-10, 10:50 PM
Hmm..I just bought the kid a Hummer H3 from CarMax...Hey..the DoD wouldn't sell me a tank and this was as close as I could get for her to take to college and have me still sleep at night..

Methanolandbrats
07-08-10, 10:50 PM
Miata is a woman's car. Not 16 anymore. Having wheels isn't enough. Gotta have the right wheels. Gotta look like I could afford a lot more, but I'm too cool. ("The Ex got the Acura" doesn't cut it.) "Had an Acura but I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint" would be OK.

OK, my mistake, I thought you wanted to corner hard and go fast. ANY Lexus is a ***** magnet, they don't know it's just a s***** Yoda with a nice interior.

FTG
07-08-10, 11:16 PM
OK, my mistake, I thought you wanted to corner hard and go fast. ANY Lexus is a ***** magnet, they don't know it's just a s***** Yoda with a nice interior.

I want to corner hard and go fast, while making young chicks think I'm NOT an old fart having a mid life crisis, while not spending a lot of money. Is that too much to ask?

Methanolandbrats
07-08-10, 11:19 PM
I want to corner hard and go fast, while making young chicks think I'm NOT an old fart having a mid life crisis, while not spending a lot of money. Is that too much to ask?

Hell no, how about an M3?

nrc
07-08-10, 11:30 PM

Sounds like you need a Corvette. :gomer:

Sorry, I got nothin else to offer since you're shopping for an image and not a car. You really should just buy something that you like. Otherwise you're just playing out the exact image that you say that you want to avoid.

FTG
07-08-10, 11:34 PM
Hell no, how about an M3?

Now you're talking. 60K, 22 Grand. Not bad at all.

FTG
07-08-10, 11:35 PM
Sounds like you need a Corvette. :gomer:

You can't even remember what's it's like to have realistic hope of banging a young chick, can you?

Methanolandbrats
07-08-10, 11:41 PM
You can't even remember what's it's like to have realistic hope of banging a young chick, can you?

How about buying a Kia and giving her $500. :D

FTG
07-09-10, 12:20 AM
How about buying a Kia and giving her $500. :D

$500 is a lot less than half my house, but that's the wrong way to look at it.

I need $100,000 of free sex to break even. I think it's doable: If I have the right car.

nrc
07-09-10, 12:26 AM

At no time in my life have I had to base a purchasing decision around hopes of "banging a young chick."

In my experience hot young chicks love a '69 Mustang full of bondo. They love a 78 Fiesta. They love an 87 Merkur. They love a 93 Miata. They love a MINI Cooper. Or maybe it's something else.. Of course "banging" isn't the objective these days anyway since I'm very happily married.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time. I was trying to offer you some honest advice. It's who you are that counts. Not the image that you attempt to project.

FTG
07-09-10, 12:32 AM
It's who you are that counts.

If that's what your mother told you, I'm sure she wouldn't lie.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time.

I'm actually having a lot of fun. I just need a fun, affordable, semi serious car.

chop456
07-09-10, 02:20 AM
Used 350Z.

opinionated ow
07-09-10, 02:44 AM
I just bought a 2002 Citroen Xsara with 170,000 km on it. Runs perfectly. Comes in a 3 door coupe style and I can fit my bike and other assorted triathlon paraphernalia in the back with no problem at all. Roof racks of course are easier...

Gnam
07-09-10, 02:53 AM
Do chicks who like cheap old farts having a mid life crisis know that Pontiac and Saturn are out of business? :p

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9316/solstice.jpg

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky
Mini Cooper
Hyundai Genesis
Mazda 3

Gotta have the right wheels. Gotta look like I could afford a lot more, but I'm too cool.
He who drives a late model domestic SUV surrounded by $3/gal gasoline, is the new bad boy. :tony:

rosawendel
07-09-10, 07:41 AM
for 25 grand you should be able to get into a used rx-8 or gti, or even a new impreza wrx or mini nicely.

SteveH
07-09-10, 09:29 AM
I need $100,000 of free sex to break even.

But if its free how will you know you have received $100,000 of sex? :gomer:

Napoleon
07-09-10, 09:38 AM
But if its free how will you know you have received $100,000 of sex? :gomer:

He can tell us all about it and we can opine as to what it was worth. By the way I do like the Pontiac and Saturn convertibles. I would seriously consider that 2 seater Honda, the S2000 or something like that.

opinionated ow
07-09-10, 09:48 AM
He can tell us all about it and we can opine as to what it was worth. By the way I do like the Pontiac and Saturn convertibles. I would seriously consider that 2 seater Honda, the S2000 or something like that.

they killed it off last year because it wasn't eco friendly enough...

Napoleon
07-09-10, 09:56 AM
they killed it off last year because it wasn't eco friendly enough...

I know but there ought to be some good low mileage used ones available.

emjaya
07-09-10, 09:56 AM
Mercedes-Benz. When trying impress bimbo's, nothing makes you look as if you have money more than a Mercedes-Benz.

Methanolandbrats
07-09-10, 11:09 AM
$500 is a lot less than half my house, but that's the wrong way to look at it.

I need $100,000 of free sex to break even. I think it's doable: If I have the right car.

No, you drive the KIA and give the $500 to the young girl. A stack of bills will impress her more than what you drive. The only way you'll get 100k of free sex is from a blow up doll.

mapguy
07-09-10, 04:54 PM
I have just started dating/banging someone 15 years my junior and I drive an 06 Focus 5 door. It is all about confidence and attitude. Or maybe it is the fact that it is a 5 speed....

Dood. You don't need a hot car. Just self confidence. I work at Lowe's so there is no point in getting a car that makes it look like I have money.

TrueBrit
07-09-10, 05:07 PM
I have just started dating/banging someone 15 years my junior *snip* It is all about confidence and attitude.

..and I'm sure she's thrilled to hear it put that way you romantic devil :saywhat:

Oh and speaking as a geezer with a cumulative total of 25 years manacled in matrimony..there is no such thing as "free" sex...there are always strings attached...but if you're lucky you might get some "break-even" sex...;)

SteveH
07-09-10, 05:18 PM
I have just started dating/banging someone 15 years my junior and I drive an 06 Focus 5 door. It is all about confidence and attitude. Or maybe it is the fact that it is a 5 speed....

Dood. You don't need a hot car. Just self confidence. I work at Lowe's so there is no point in getting a car that makes it look like I have money.

Mappy, have you kept your pants on?

;) :D

mapguy
07-09-10, 05:21 PM
Mappy, have you kept your pants on?

;) :D

Only when driving...

the car...;)

FTG
07-09-10, 06:18 PM
I have just started dating/banging someone 15 years my junior and I drive an 06 Focus 5 door.

Yeah, but I want a smart chick. (No offense.)

Not sure why people thought I needed relationship advice. (If I'd wanted relationship advice I would've posted on Dr. Phil's forum.) I need car ideas.

M3 is a good idea. Always been tempted by the RX 8. Anyone drive one? I've always bought new - taken care of it and driven it into the ground - but something that has just come of lease might be a good idea. Let some rich dude pay for most of the depreciation. Just worried that if the dude is that rich he won't bother changing the oil for three years.

FTG
07-09-10, 06:18 PM
..and I'm sure she's thrilled to hear it put that way you romantic devil :saywhat:

Oh and speaking as a geezer with a cumulative total of 25 years manacled in matrimony..there is no such thing as "free" sex...there are always strings attached...but if you're lucky you might get some "break-even" sex...;)

To quote Butters, "All guys pay for kisses."

mapguy
07-09-10, 07:38 PM

Not sure why people thought I needed relationship advice. (If I'd wanted relationship advice I would've posted on Dr. Phil's forum.) I need car ideas.

She's in college. :) Works part time at my store. She knows what I do and what I make and she doesn't care. Like I said, it is all about who you are not what you drive.

Smart chicks aren't attracted by hot cars. Well, the superficial ones are and you don't want that. Unless she has big boobs... ;)

KLang
07-09-10, 07:40 PM

You really think a 'smart chick' is going to be impressed by what kind of used car you are driving? :laugh:

How about a convertible? Women seem to like those.

Gnam
07-09-10, 07:58 PM
"Had an Acura but I'm trying to reduce my carbon footprint" would be OK.
You're on the right track...Let her drive.*
These girls are old enough to drive, right? :p

*Must be able to endure the "Teaching your daughter to drive?" jokes.

swift
07-09-10, 09:50 PM
"cavette" (http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1997-Chev-Cavette-CHICK-MAGNET-W0QQAdIdZ215883573#)

you're welcome.

Methanolandbrats
07-09-10, 10:08 PM
If ya pound fat chicks you can bypass the whole car thing, they are happy to ride anything :D

B3RACER1a
07-10-10, 12:00 AM
for 25 grand you should be able to get into a used rx-8 or gti, or even a new impreza wrx or mini nicely.

You can get a NEW RX8 for 25k. :D
You can find '04's or 05's in the $11-15k range. Advantage used car buyer :)

B3RACER1a
07-10-10, 12:05 AM

M3 is a good idea. Always been tempted by the RX 8. Anyone drive one? I've always bought new - taken care of it and driven it into the ground - but something that has just come of lease might be a good idea. Let some rich dude pay for most of the depreciation. Just worried that if the dude is that rich he won't bother changing the oil for three years.

I own an RX8 that i've been regularly autox'ing this year, and its been my daily driver for 4 years. Been playing with suspension mods and such. Turbine engine, surgeon like handling. Won't blow you away with power, but spooled up it creates such a great turbine/sonic whine. Great car...still turns heads, and most importantly, a complete blast to drive. You really can flick it around the cones.

If you decide to look at them, just post here and I can let you know what to look for.

Gnam
07-10-10, 01:34 AM
"cavette" (http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1997-Chev-Cavette-CHICK-MAGNET-W0QQAdIdZ215883573#)

you're welcome.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Insomniac
07-10-10, 09:24 AM
If you listen to some of the first few CarCast w/ Adam Carolla (http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBlog/) podcasts they had a segment about finding good used cars. They stopped doing the segment at some point, but I recall the M3 and Boxter being mentioned, so I'd guess the rest of their suggestions would go with what you're looking to buy.

BTW--What did you expect people here to say when you basically said "help me find a car that will get young woman to sleep with me".

G.
07-10-10, 12:34 PM
Smart chicks aren't attracted by hot cars. Well, the superficial ones are and you don't want that. Unless she has big boobs... ;)

:laugh:

Nice.

oddlycalm
07-10-10, 08:27 PM
Best magnet on the road is a Harley. It's gotta be the big twin not the Sporty. No idea what the deal is but it does what it does. Even back in the 70's when people would flip me off just for riding my FLH shovelhead it was the same deal with the ladies. I've been married for most of my adult life so for me it was more of a source of aggravation.

If you want a nice set of wheels on the other hand get the M3, but it brings the wrong flavor of attention. My wife hated our M3 because it brought all kinds of attention from young guys.

oc

Methanolandbrats
07-10-10, 08:54 PM
Best magnet on the road is a Harley. It's gotta be the big twin not the Sporty. No idea what the deal is but it does what it does. Even back in the 70's when people would flip me off just for riding my FLH shovelhead it was the same deal with the ladies. I've been married for most of my adult life so for me it was more of a source of aggravation.

If you want a nice set of wheels on the other hand get the M3, but it brings the wrong flavor of attention. My wife hated our M3 because it brought all kinds of attention from young guys.

oc

Harley? :saywhat:If ya like em 5'4" and 225, alcoholic and with a lot of tatoos and chainsmoking. Every Harley owner rides two hogs.:yuck:

G.
07-10-10, 09:04 PM
If ya pound fat chicks you can bypass the whole car thing, they are happy to ride anything :D

Harley? :saywhat:If ya like em 5'4" and 225, alcoholic and with a lot of tatoos and chainsmoking. Every Harley owner rides two hogs.:yuck:

there might be a theme going on...

Methanolandbrats
07-10-10, 09:15 PM
there might be a theme going on... I'm a photographer, I've had some eye opening assignments :saywhat:

Indy
07-10-10, 11:13 PM
S2000 was one of the best test drives I have ever taken. The sales guy said, "O.K., this one is really hard to shift right, so take it easy at first," then I took off like I stole it. I looked over at him a few seconds later and he was grinning ear to ear. I would have bought it but my wife would have made my life hell for doing so. Probably would have been worth it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

FTG
07-11-10, 07:36 PM
BTW--What did you expect people here to say when you basically said "help me find a car that will get young woman to sleep with me".

I expected that:

A) you guys knew something about women. The fact that most of you are way more clueless than me me makes me feel better about getting divorced.

B) you guys knew something about cars. With one or two exceptions, I was pretty disappointed.

New RX 8 is 40K CDN. 35,000 K for 27 G is doable. I'll take a couple test drives this week or next.

SteveH
07-11-10, 07:48 PM
Save your money, get them drunk. ;)

nrc
07-11-10, 10:06 PM
Yeah, pretty sure **** is on the list of censored words. Please don't post images with words that would be censored in them.

For everyone else: please imagine a motivational poster with the a remark about men compensating with sports cars.

B3RACER1a
07-11-10, 10:41 PM
I expected that:

A) you guys knew something about women. The fact that most of you are way more clueless than me me makes me feel better about getting divorced.

B) you guys knew something about cars. With one or two exceptions, I was pretty disappointed.

New RX 8 is 40K CDN. 35,000 K for 27 G is doable. I'll take a couple test drives this week or next.

Ah...didn't know you were in Canada. US RX8's are being sold with HUGE incentives, so if you are interested in one, keep that in mind if they are being difficult on price. You should be able to negociate a lot.

emjaya
07-11-10, 11:37 PM
...men compensating with sports cars.

stdJd598Dtg

SteveH
07-12-10, 09:03 AM
:rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

datachicane
07-12-10, 09:59 AM
Save your money, get them drunk. ;)

:thumbup:

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I wouldn't want to sleep with any woman who selected their romantic partners by what they drove. Gotta have standards.

Buy what you like, or spend your life compromising yourself to someone else's imagined preferences.

cameraman
07-12-10, 12:22 PM
Okay, see that was really good but there is no way in hell you would ever see it in the good ole US of A.

G.
07-12-10, 12:49 PM
Chicks dig the minivan.

ql-N3F1FhW4

You need more proof, warlock! has an old post with the proof.

Word.

Insomniac
07-12-10, 05:06 PM
Chicks dig the minivan.

ql-N3F1FhW4

You need more proof, warlock! has an old post with the proof.

Word.

Wow. Toyota made mini-vans even lamer.