PDA

View Full Version : Kohler/Brian Redman

NismoZ
07-06-10, 10:57 AM
If you live within a thousand miles you ought to treat yourself to this one. It's the only REAL race weekend left, for me. My big brother and I will trek to RA for the 48th consecutive year (we each missed one when "busy" :rolleyes:elsewhere, so that one doesn't count) and it always brings HUGE smiles to see cars and drivers from our past. The sights and sounds are incredible and have become the stuff of dreams. And not just at the track. Make sure you get into Elkhart Lake by 6pm Friday and witness the "race car parade" from the track to the streets around Siebkens at 6pm. Nothing like it. The cars park for a couple of hours and you can take pics, talk to the owners and "remember when.":thumbup: Best "museum" in the country! This year features a Mark Donohue reunion (hope David has time to be there) , the Penske/Sunoco Porsche 917/30, Can Am & F-5000 cars and Mustangs (I think 'stang drivers get in free!) Look for the little black "JZ---" Speed 3 outside the tunnel to the pits/paddock and leave cold beer, or look for the handsome dude in a white Mazda hat and the famous 7th gear credentials holder!:D

nissan gtp
07-06-10, 03:55 PM
looks like a good one

Confirmed cars include:

the 1972 Indy-winning McLaren-Offy;
the ’73 Eagle-Offy Indy car;
the 1972 Can-Am dominating L&M Porsche 917-10;
the 1973 Can-Am champion Sunoco Porsche 917-30;
all of the Donohue-driven, Penske Racing, Camaros and Javelins from the Trans-Am in the 1960s and early 1970s;
the Ferrari 275 LM that Donohue co-drove with Walter Hansgen in the 1965 Sebring 12 hour;
the Sunoco LolaT70 coupe that won the 1969 Daytona 24 Hour race driven by Donohue and Chuck Parsons;
and the Lola T70 Spyder which brought Donohue the 1967 United States Road Racing Championship;
the First National City Traveler Checks Penske PC-1 which was Donohue's last F1 car.

http://www.unfairadvantageracing.com/

NismoZ
07-06-10, 08:33 PM
Wow, thanks a lot. Wasn't aware of that site. Many of those photos I had not seen before, but the Mike Odell shots brought back a lot of memories. His older brother Al and I attended MANY races together starting at Meadowdale in the '60s, then Indy, Milwaukee and RA. Mike and I were drafted on the same day and spent basic together at Ft. Knox!:rofl: (We may have been standing next to each other for some of those RA shots. I'm sure I'll bump into him at RA during the reunion and mention seeing his old pictures again.) REALLY looking forward to that weekend!

stroker
07-07-10, 02:39 PM
I have this mental image of the Big Blue TurboPanzer coming into view at Turn 5 for the first time and the assemble throng lifting their right arms in unison, pointing and crying in panic, "GODZILLA!"...

NismoZ
07-07-10, 08:08 PM
Remember the chirping sound of the 962s on the upshift?...The 917/30 went POW....POW. I plan to stand behind it at T-3 as it runs up through the gears and under the bridge. I hope it's driven hard enough to reproduce that sweet noise. Heck, I don't know if it'll even do laps, but if it does I nominate Brian Redman to do the honors.:thumbup: or Follmer? DAVID!?

stroker
07-07-10, 10:15 PM
Actually, I never saw a 962 race, but the memory that sticks most with me about the turbos was how quiet they were.

I'm VERY curious to see what sort of lap times that M16 Indy car runs.

I wish there were some way for me to go.

<sigh>

BarillaGirl
07-08-10, 10:38 AM
I wish I could go, too. Here I am in Wisconsin and all.... but just not in the right situation this weekend.

Maybe someone could embed vintage racing clips with lots of pretty engine-song?

NismoZ
07-08-10, 06:38 PM
I'm a techno feeb, but I'll try. Maybe my kid will donate a few minutes of his precious time.:)

Methanolandbrats
07-16-10, 11:31 PM
Back from the track. It was a dead event. The field was thin, especially F1, CART and GTP entries. No buzz at all. Most concession stands closed. There were more people watching the track dry friday of last year than today on a nice sunny day. No families at all, no next generation of fans. Mostly just old guys like me remembering when racing didn't suck. Sad, I wonder how long this event will last?

SteveH
07-17-10, 12:58 AM
geez, I've always wanted to go :(

Methanolandbrats
07-17-10, 08:35 AM
geez, I've always wanted to go :( Still well worth going, don't stay away, but it's shrinking. Maybe we're running out of rich guys because of the economy :D

SteveH
07-17-10, 08:46 AM
Maybe next year. Got to Millers at the Mile two years ago. Sort of a bucket list thing, I guess. I really wanted to go the year they honored Jim Hall. Maybe they will have a reprise.

stroker
07-17-10, 07:12 PM
Damn, that's a shame.

I was going to ask, does anyone know what happened to that Sunoco Blue Ferrari 512M that Penske/Donohue ran for a while? It really should have been included at the BRIC event...

grungex
07-18-10, 12:03 AM
I had fun Friday..

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/grungexx/100_0937a.jpg

grungex
07-18-10, 12:07 AM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa208/grungexx/100_0902a.jpg

Methanolandbrats
07-18-10, 12:36 AM
I had fun too. I'm just pointing out that there is a downtrend. Can it survive as a track rental? God, I hope so.

Corner5
07-20-10, 10:48 AM
Back from the track. It was a dead event. The field was thin, especially F1, CART and GTP entries. No buzz at all. Most concession stands closed. There were more people watching the track dry friday of last year than today on a nice sunny day. No families at all, no next generation of fans. Mostly just old guys like me remembering when racing didn't suck. Sad, I wonder how long this event will last?

I agree friday was quiet at the track, but the weekend was a success.Most food stands around the track are closed on friday(volunteers) because fans are in the paddock and there are 2 open stands there. Friday night's "concourse de elegance" was rockin', one of the biggest I've seen. Sat. and sun. were busy at the track, more fans than Toronto, that's for sure. I saw plenty of families and kids. Saturday night in Elkhart Lake was party town too. Better than Nascab weekend by far.

Saturday qualifying was full and we were at the track until 7:30pm. The only bad thing was the rain on sunday thinned out some of the races when competitors pulled out for fear of wrecking. Still fans hung around until the end.

Don't worry MB, KIC will be around a long time, the Irl would kill to have the cars and fans this event does.

Here's some entry info-

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/8BA5D81F-D502-85D1-E91AC527F0D8C0AA

more info-

http://www.racingnation.com/story.asp?aid=1694

Methanolandbrats
07-20-10, 11:01 AM
I agree friday was quiet at the track, but the weekend was a success.Most food stands around the track are closed on friday(volunteers) because fans are in the paddock and there are 2 open stands there. Friday night's "concourse de elegance" was rockin', one of the biggest I've seen. Sat. and sun. were busy at the track, more fans than Toronto, that's for sure. I saw plenty of families and kids. Saturday night in Elkhart Lake was party town too. Better than Nascab weekend by far.

Saturday qualifying was full and we were at the track until 7:30pm. The only bad thing was the rain on sunday thinned out some of the races when competitors pulled out for fear of wrecking. Still fans hung around until the end.

Don't worry MB, KIC will be around a long time, the Irl would kill to have the cars and fans this event does.

Here's some entry info-

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.status/uidEvent/8BA5D81F-D502-85D1-E91AC527F0D8C0AA

more info-

http://www.racingnation.com/story.asp?aid=1694

Good to hear, I could only go friday this year and it was way down. Since it's a track rental by a group with very deep pockets, it would probably go on forever without paid admissions.

Corner5
07-20-10, 11:26 AM
Good to hear, I could only go friday this year and it was way down. Since it's a track rental by a group with very deep pockets, it would probably go on forever without paid admissions.

Friday is always quiet. Saturday is the busiest day. This event is a success story for RA with Kohler as a sponsor. Lots of fans trickled in all weekend and this is always a family event.

See you there.

Corner5
07-20-10, 12:18 PM
http://www.racingnation.com/images/column_photos/100716RAKICInternationalHauler.JPG

"The 1972 International Fleetstar Hauler used by the Penske team won best in show at Road&Track Concours d'Elengance at Road America."

This hauler got a big applause when it pulled out to leave the Concours d'Elengance friday night. People loved the truck.

patski
07-20-10, 02:44 PM
http://www.racingnation.com/images/column_photos/100716RAKICInternationalHauler.JPG

"The 1972 International Fleetstar Hauler used by the Penske team won best in show at Road&Track Concours d'Elengance at Road America."

This hauler got a big applause when it pulled out to leave the Concours d'Elengance friday night. People loved the truck.

Too bad the car it carried, ie: the MD Porsche 917 didn;t do some laps on Sunday. Would have made the rain
minor.

Corner5
07-20-10, 03:39 PM
Here's a good video of the event-

http://www.youtube.com/raceroadamerica

:thumbup:

NismoZ
07-20-10, 04:33 PM
Thank you for THAT!:thumbup: No need for me to post any pics, that little clip says it all, especially the race car parade in Elkhart Lake. I'm in those shots SOMEplace.:D (Stood in front of the R&T stand across from Siebkens and inside of the last corner on the way out. Yep, an old transporter got the most cheers!) That #71 Can Am McLaren was bent up pretty good on Sat.:( Had to believe you were only there on Fri., M&B, as Sat. was WELL attended and the festivities in and around Siebkens were as good as ever. I was sad not to see Augie for the 1st time ever, though Augie III & the #7 Scarab were there tending to their racecar business. Did you hear anything, Corner 5, is he not well? Hope all of you who want to, can get there NEXT summer.

NismoZ
07-20-10, 04:39 PM
PS-Ford displayed that lime green Focus RS and the poster made it sound like it was coming here? Any truth in that? Looked bulkier than I had imagined but VERY impressive.:thumbup:

BarillaGirl
07-21-10, 07:12 PM
OK, OK, I promise I'll go in 2011 even if I'm not living in Wisconsin any more. Who else is coming?

:confused::confused:

TRDfan
07-21-10, 10:05 PM
That video was fantastic.

I enjoyed attending last year - hoping for a return in 2011.

Gnam
07-22-10, 12:17 AM
agreed, but needs less easy listening, and more exhaust. :p

Corner5
07-23-10, 04:28 PM
Thank you for THAT!:thumbup: No need for me to post any pics, that little clip says it all, especially the race car parade in Elkhart Lake. I'm in those shots SOMEplace.:D (Stood in front of the R&T stand across from Siebkens and inside of the last corner on the way out. Yep, an old transporter got the most cheers!) That #71 Can Am McLaren was bent up pretty good on Sat.:( Had to believe you were only there on Fri., M&B, as Sat. was WELL attended and the festivities in and around Siebkens were as good as ever. I was sad not to see Augie for the 1st time ever, though Augie III & the #7 Scarab were there tending to their racecar business. Did you hear anything, Corner 5, is he not well? Hope all of you who want to, can get there NEXT summer.

I was standing close to you. I haven't heard anything on Augie, I'll ask.