PDA

View Full Version : Wimby

dando
06-24-10, 10:52 AM
Tennis has been dead to me since Jimmy Connors and Johnny Mac retired, but this is insane.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/wimbledon10/news/story?id=5319726

WIMBLEDON, England -- Even the scoreboard couldn't keep up.

The electronic sign keeping track courtside as the points passed and the game totals rose went blank while 23rd-seeded John Isner of Tampa, Fla., and qualifier Nicolas Mahut of France played -- and played and played -- the longest match in tennis history, until action was suspended because of darkness at 59-59 in the fifth set Wednesday night at Wimbledon.
London Marathon

"Nothing like this will ever happen again. Ever," Isner said in a courtside TV interview.

The first-round match had already been suspended because of fading light Tuesday night after the fourth set.

They have been playing each other for exactly 10 hours -- 7 hours, 6 minutes in the fifth set alone, enough to break the full-match record of 6:33, set at the 2004 French Open.

:eek:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-24-10, 11:38 AM
Connors and Mac were both a pair of overgrown teenage whiners...

This match however is a classic..currently the fifth set is tied at 66-66.

Bearing in mind both have had a full night's rest, and neither appear close to breaking serve, this could go on all until one of them requires rotator-cuff surgery..

dando
06-24-10, 12:16 PM
Finally finished @ 70-68 and 11 hours, 5 minutes. :eek: Last I saw they were @ 108 and 103 on aces alone. Truly one for the ages. Oh, and TB, you must have been a Borg fan. :irked: :p I remember waking early on July 4th to catch Mac and Borg in the finals. :thumbup: I did appreciate the Agassi/Sampras clashes in hte mid-90s, but Jimbo was always my fave growing up (especially being married to Patty McGuire). :gomer:

-Kevin

TrueBrit
06-24-10, 12:35 PM
Yup..Big Borg fan..

Indy
06-24-10, 02:24 PM
Borg was an awesome athlete, but I loved the finesse of McEnroe.

That's tennis finesse, not interpersonal. :laugh:

I rarely watch anymore because of the shift of the game to power. They should go back to small wooden rackets and they we would see who is really good. :gomer:

dando
06-24-10, 02:29 PM
I rarely watch anymore because of the shift of the game to power. They should go back to small wooden rackets and they we would see who is really good. :gomer:

That's like asking golfers to revert to actual woods instead of these metal mailboxes we use today. :saywhat: FYI, I grew up using a Stan Smith wooden racket, and I might be teaching our oldest using it. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Indy
06-24-10, 02:38 PM
I am teaching my son with wood. Definitely sharpens the skills.

And I would like to see golfers use real woods.

Why is it that in sports that are not about technology, technology rules, yet in our favorite sport, which was all about technology, one moron was able to take us back fifty years? :saywhat:

Ankf00
06-24-10, 02:55 PM
"Wimby?" Get that from Rome or Rick Reilly? :tony:

dando
06-24-10, 04:14 PM
"Wimby?" Get that from Rome or Rick Reilly? :tony:

Bite me, Italian kicks fanboi. :gomer:

-Kevin