PDA

View Full Version : Canada

High Sided
06-13-10, 05:16 PM
good race. not a fan of the new interview coffee table with the top runners wearing wireless microphones, might as well put them on a couch. :confused:

trish
06-13-10, 05:31 PM
Was there a race today?

pchall
06-13-10, 06:28 PM
Why can't F1 designers do a nose cone and wings that can survive a relatively simple off into the grass and back excursion?

All in all, a fun weekend of racing between LeMans and F1. It reminds me that we used to have great weekends of motorsport like through out the summer in the late 80s and early 90s with F1 and Group C coming out of Europe and CART and IMSA GTP in North America. Now North American racing is reduced to crapwagons and prototurtles and an ever more debased NASCAR.:(

mapguy
06-13-10, 07:51 PM
That pointy-chinned dirty cheating b**tard really outdid himself today. He needs to be parked.

oddlycalm
06-13-10, 08:43 PM
A fast and furious race due to the artifice of tire compounds. Still, a lot of passing for position.

Those that slagged on Button and predicting he would fold at McLaren have been proven wrong in a big way. He is a whisker slower than Hamilton and not quite as aggressive but he knows how to work with the team, manage the car and not make mistakes.

Schumacher drove like a rookie today in every regard. I'm sure he'll say it's all part of the plan. Rosberg seems to have a better plan.

oc

grungex
06-13-10, 09:54 PM
That pointy-chinned dirty cheating b**tard really outdid himself today. He needs to be parked.

No kidding. Pathetique.

Don Quixote
06-13-10, 10:29 PM
You left out "chopping".

Indy
06-14-10, 07:25 AM
I think chopping was the main thing in this one. :laugh:

TrueBrit
06-14-10, 09:23 AM

:D:rofl::thumbup:

And thanks to Chocolate Jeebus and Boy Band, Britain was able to salvage some sporting pride this weekend..

RichK
06-14-10, 03:21 PM
Joe Saward blog re: Canada (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/looking-back-at-montreal/)

In Montreal – not for the first time – Michael looked like a man who is becoming increasingly desperate, chopping across his rivals as they pass him and generally looking like someone who should have stayed retired.

You can call that a harsh view, but that is what the F1 Paddock is saying. People say that this is the comeback of a man who cannot think what else to do with his life, rather than that of someone who is really motivated to become a winner again. And it is becoming sad.

Indy
06-14-10, 03:44 PM
And it is becoming sad.

I doubt if most in the paddock are crying for him. Laughing at him, yes.

oddlycalm
06-14-10, 04:38 PM
The sense I get is that nobody really cares much that Schumacher is back. He's been a non-factor in the races outside of a few questionable moves. He's been good competition for Alguersuari this year.

oc

Gnam
06-15-10, 01:08 PM
I do not miss refueling. The decreasing fuel load definately adds to the race:
tires last longer, lap times get shorter, handling improves just as tires wear out...fun to watch.

JohnHKart
06-15-10, 01:19 PM
Oh geez and the races are back on Fox, directed by Scott Goodyear, so the announcers are treating the audience like newby schoolkids. Hey, here's what we call a formula 1 car, it's 1300 pounds. This is what we call a racetrack, and it's different than Nascar, there are left and right turns. This is Michael Schumacher, he's won 91 races, he's from Germany. There's a pitlane crewmember, they change the tires...Here's a raceteam, they build the cars themselves! Shut the F*** up already! :shakehead

TrueBrit
06-15-10, 02:30 PM
..and it wasn't in HD in my neck of the Chicagoland woods...but it is when it's on Speed? :confused:

Elmo T
06-15-10, 02:46 PM
Oh geez and the races are back on Fox, directed by Scott Goodyear, so the announcers are treating the audience like newby schoolkids.

Yes, there was some additional explanation - and I expected the same. That said, it wasn't onerous as you might expect. Same TV crew so that was a big plus. I vaguely remember then bringing out the the driver of the Rachel's Potato Chip Car for a GP or two a few years back. :rolleyes:

BarillaGirl
06-15-10, 02:55 PM
Yes, there was some additional explanation - and I expected the same. That said, it wasn't onerous as you might expect. Same TV crew so that was a big plus. I vaguely remember then bringing out the the driver of the Rachel's Potato Chip Car for a GP or two a few years back. :rolleyes:

I thought the explanations were pretty good, actually. They started from a NASCAR frame of reference and explained the analogous F1 technology. 18,000 rpms at half the weight — if you knew anything about NASCAR specs, then you might have been able to understand a bit of the F1 stuff.

On the other hand, the new viewers missed a ton of context. The pace of the race was so fast (and the pre-race show completely eliminated) that there wasn't time to understand WHY it was a big deal that Alonso was looking up Hamilton's tailpipe. If there was any backstory that needed to be explained (and in this race, there was a [metric] ton of it), there simply wasn't time for the 'splainin'.

It was not as bad as Indy 500 coverage. It was not nearly as bad as Olympic "coverage."

WickerBill
06-15-10, 06:56 PM
..and it wasn't in HD in my neck of the Chicagoland woods...but it is when it's on Speed? :confused:

No sir, there's no F1 in HD anywhere. Fox (and Speed) run a pretty nice standard definition 16x9, but it ain't HD... you've never watched F1 in HD.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/13/f1-boss-ecclestone-says-no-high-definition-feed-until-2012/

Indy
06-16-10, 04:12 AM
I dunno about that, WB. It was pretty hi def in person. :gomer:

WickerBill
06-16-10, 10:01 AM
I dunno about that, WB. It was pretty hi def in person. :gomer:

I meant 1920x1080. In person it's significantly better than HD...

oddlycalm
06-16-10, 02:02 PM
Seems to me like all of these "major hurdles" have already been addressed in the first world countries and major networks even though their pace was glacial. Now here comes F1 talking like none of that has happened. WTF...?

F1 cars wreck hard drives (http://www.autosport.com/features/article.php/id/2875)

LG is well aware of the HD push, and it has already done some proper HD filming, when it took a camera crew to last year's Monaco Grand Prix to capture some footage for in-store promotional material.

The extreme demands of filming F1 in HD scuppered the plans initially, however, when the vibrations and noise in the tunnel resulted in the hard drives in the cameras skipping – so lots of frames went missing and the footage was useless. LG had to fly out solid state drives as a matter of urgency.

Ah Vern, you'll never believe what happened....:gomer:

"Plus, at the end of the day, only five per cent of subscribers actually buy an HD signal. In some countries it is up to 30-40 per cent, but for the most part people buy one of these HD sets, plug it in, then say, 'I have HD' – but they don't actually buy the signal. It is a really complex world. It is the monitors and the signal coming into the house."

oc

TrueBrit
06-17-10, 09:53 AM
No sir, there's no F1 in HD anywhere. Fox (and Speed) run a pretty nice standard definition 16x9, but it ain't HD... you've never watched F1 in HD.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/06/13/f1-boss-ecclestone-says-no-high-definition-feed-until-2012/

Hmm..interesting..all I know is the feed on Speed HD is much much better than on their regular feed...and it is far superior to the crappy view from the this weekend's GP on Faux..

patski
06-17-10, 10:21 AM
Hmm..interesting..all I know is the feed on Speed HD is much much better than on their regular feed...and it is far superior to the crappy view from the this weekend's GP on Faux..

Regular Speed Feed: 480
Local Fox HD Feed: 720
Speed HD Feed: 1080

Rogue Leader
06-17-10, 01:49 PM

Regular Speed Feed: 480
Local Fox HD Feed: 720
Speed HD Feed: 1080

It is just upconverted. Yes it does look better but the races are transmitted to the provider channels by F1 in 480P widescreen. Its up to them to upconvert if they wish.

High Sided
06-22-10, 12:35 PM
No HD in F1 yet nascar already in the workings to launch 3D races, 1st attempt july 3rd.
http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=130598
" The Turner TV feed will be available only to subscribers of DirecTV, who also own one of the new 3D sets and accompanying glasses."