PDA

View Full Version : F1 fan survey results

oddlycalm
06-10-10, 04:41 PM
Hotlinky at the bottom of the page.
fan survey results (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84275)

Most interesting to me was the North America fan info. Only 12% of the fans and weighted towards those that have been fans for 10yrs or more.

oc

devilmaster
06-10-10, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, as I read that article, the little nagging voice kept saying: 'well, only if Bernie wants that.... or that....'

Michaelhatesfans
06-10-10, 10:11 PM
I'll have a look later, but I'll wager that the question "Would you even bother to have cable if it were not for F1?" doesn't appear. I'd be interested to see the response on that one. It might just kick F1 into the 21st century in terms of internet feeds.:\

Cam
06-11-10, 09:38 AM
I'll have a look later, but I'll wager that the question "Would you even bother to have cable if it were not for F1?" doesn't appear. I'd be interested to see the response on that one. It might just kick F1 into the 21st century in terms of internet feeds.:\

Have F1 on terrestrial here. HD feed. My eyeballs are old enuf to not even tell the diff However I would probably pay extra for the Speed broadcast/commentary compared to what we get here.

racermike
06-11-10, 09:48 AM
Have F1 on terrestrial here. HD feed. My eyeballs are old enuf to not even tell the diff However I would probably pay extra for the Speed broadcast/commentary compared to what we get here.

I like the Speed coverage, but yours is better..

opinionated ow
06-11-10, 10:06 AM
I like the Speed coverage, but yours is better..

The problem with ours is that the moron, Greg Rust, and the former motorcyclist who is the dullest commentator in the world, Darryl Beattie, feel they have to talk everytime the ad break is over. And they are clueless. And we don't get the BBC pre race we get that rubbish with those aforementioned morons again. At least we don't have that bloody **** Peter Windsor around any more!

Cam
06-11-10, 10:26 AM
The problem with ours is that the moron, Greg Rust, and the former motorcyclist who is the dullest commentator in the world, Darryl Beattie, feel they have to talk everytime the ad break is over. And they are clueless. And we don't get the BBC pre race we get that rubbish with those aforementioned morons again. At least we don't have that bloody **** Peter Windsor around any more!

RM... For once I actually agree with with the eastern stater.. As much as Matchet and his man love for the former red baron, his insight is valid. Varsha actually knows WTF he is talking about. and Hobbo is can be amusing/entertaining in his drunkles comments. Hell he has kablammo to his portfolio of copyrights. :)

I actually miss that.

BarillaGirl
06-11-10, 12:16 PM
Cam, we usually have a little David Hobbs drinking game with every practice, quali, or race. You write down in advance what you expect he'll say a lot, and that's what you drink to. I still haven't figured out how to spell that wobbly scary sound he makes when it looks as if someone's headed for the kitty litter, but the other listings include "Take it easy, son," "boy-oh-boy," and his awful nicknames for the drivers, like Louise for Lewis. Oh, and anytime he speaks French when the course isn't in France.

All I can say is, thank goodness there's almost no vodka in the house, or I probably wouldn't survive the Canadian GP. I might survive by doing swigs of Labatt's Blue instead.

oddlycalm
06-11-10, 03:24 PM
As much as Matchet and his man love for the former red baron, his insight is valid. Varsha actually knows WTF he is talking about. and Hobbo is can be amusing/entertaining in his drunkles comments. Hell he has kablammo to his portfolio of copyrights. :)

I actually miss that.
Yup, the race may turn out to be dull as a butter knife but I know I'll be entertained. My personal favorite bit of theirs is when they do the "sarcasm channel." The new pit reporter is a big improvement as well.

oc

Methanolandbrats
06-11-10, 03:44 PM
Yup, the race may turn out to be dull as a butter knife but I know I'll be entertained. My personal favorite bit of theirs is when they do the "sarcasm channel." The new pit reporter is a big improvement as well.

oc

Those guys are the best broadcast team ever. Second place goes to Sam and Bobby doing Indy :rofl:

Indy
06-11-10, 06:09 PM
Paul, Sam and Bobby were the best. :thumbup::gomer::thumbup::gomer::thumbup:

I don't get why anyone complains about Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs. They aren't perfect, but no one is perfect, and they are surely the best American open wheel announce team in the last twenty years. Put three vanilla announcers in there and F1 gets really boring, really fast.

JLMannin
06-11-10, 06:55 PM

I don't get why anyone complains about Varsha, Matchett and Hobbs. They aren't perfect, but no one is perfect, and they are surely the best American open wheel announce team in the last twenty years. Put three vanilla announcers in there and F1 gets really boring, really fast.

For one season, Varsha announced figure skating for ABC/ESPN. I watched more figure skating that year than ever before or since. Call me a Varsha fan boy. I think he is great.

Steve99
06-11-10, 07:40 PM
You're a Varsha fanboy.

STD
06-11-10, 08:25 PM
:laugh::thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
06-11-10, 10:03 PM
Varsha is smart and works hard. He covered downhill skiing once and his insights were amazing.

Don Quixote
06-11-10, 11:34 PM
I'm a Varsha fanboy. There I said it. :gomer:

Indy
06-12-10, 11:51 AM
We should get him on here.

eiregosod
06-13-10, 07:42 AM

pish posh, ever heard of this guy?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8637194.stm

oddlycalm
06-13-10, 08:33 PM
So much for the survey. Bernie says no HD before 2012 (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84448) . Bernie is fond of telling the world how F1 is the pinnacle of everything and on the bleeding edge of technology yet he talks out of his anal orifice when it comes to holding up his end of things.

oc

grungex
06-13-10, 09:55 PM
I don't even have HD, and F1 still looks like s*** in comparison to just about everything else DirecTV broadcasts. Lame.

cameraman
06-13-10, 11:00 PM
Okay color me confused. If it isn't HD then what is the 16:9 feed SpeedHD is serving up on Dish? It is not 480i.

oddlycalm
06-14-10, 12:29 AM
I'm guessing that when Speed does the PAL to NTSC conversion that they use a scaler/processor to interpolate an HD version of the signal in the same way that DVD's are upconverted by all the current TV's and BD players. It used to be that you needed an expensive processor from Faroudja to do that but now a $99 POS from China does the same thing. My DVD's look great upconverted and so does F1 but it's not the same as true HD. Watch a BD and DVD of the same film side by side and it's immediately obvious.

oc

oddlycalm
06-16-10, 01:58 PM
moved to Canada thread