PDA

View Full Version : Simona almost burned alive

trish
06-05-10, 09:46 PM
Sickening. They were able to get her out of the car but what a close call.

Fio1
06-05-10, 09:48 PM
WTF did it take them that F***ing long to get an extinguisher out? 20 seconds with those guys messing around. WTF!:shakehead It was worse then any club race in Guatemala.

TKGAngel
06-05-10, 10:01 PM
Just read on the Twitter that an IRL official was excusing the safety team's performance in Simona's accident because they don't get much practice with fires. :flame::saywhat::shakehead

pchall
06-05-10, 11:44 PM
Who's directing the IRL safety team these days, Mack Sennett?

devilmaster
06-05-10, 11:50 PM
Who's directing the IRL safety team these days, Mack Sennett?

Ooooo! Nice one! :)

although it opens the door to comment on the whole you were there bit, pete. ;)

But could someone put a classic silent film piano bit to that? :D

pchall
06-06-10, 12:21 AM
Ooooo! Nice one! :)

although it opens the door to comment on the whole you were there bit, pete. ;)

But could someone put a classic silent film piano bit to that? :D

Now that would be a great YouTube bit. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Trust a Canadian to be the first to get the smack.

racermike
06-06-10, 01:10 AM
Why in gods name are they effing around with a fire hose that has to pressurize to use.

As SOON as they rolled up, a couple of 20lb bottles of Dry-Chem would have done the job sufficiently until they had backup, and probably could have had that fire 80-90% extinguished seconds after they pull the pins on their bottles.

I stood there YELLING at my TV for them to get their goddamned fire bottles and quick effing around with this high tech *****.

racermike
06-06-10, 01:12 AM
Also, now I am realizing, that what the drivers have to do, to get out of their vehicles, is obviously too much.

In CART, a driver had to PROVE to officials, that they could get out of the car in 7 seconds. If they could not do it, they were not going to be racing.

Gnam
06-06-10, 03:07 AM
I did not see this incident, and I don't want to. :irked:
Does the IRL have a permanent professional safety team like CART, or do they leave it up to the tracks?

Michaelhatesfans
06-06-10, 03:35 AM
Does the IRL have a permanent professional safety team like CART, or do they leave it up to the tracks?

I looked it up on youtube when I saw this thread (and knew that whatever I saw, she was going to come out of it ok). I don't know if they have a full time crew, but what I saw couldn't be refered to as professional in any way, be it full time or part time.:thumdown:

It was not too far removed from, "I thought you had the fire extinguisher? Me? No, you should have it. No, I brought it the last time. What's this thing do? Well, I'm pointing this thing, and nothing's happening. Maybe if I wave it around? No... Let's see, I pretty sure someone mentioned this in the meeting - did you catch what they said? Hey, someone should help her while I figure this thing out."

Michaelhatesfans
06-06-10, 03:37 AM
Oh, and once again for everyone who watched it live and once again felt used and disgusted as a result,

I ****ing told you so. Stop watching that crap.

No pity for any of you.:shakehead

opinionated ow
06-06-10, 03:57 AM
Oh hell...hope she is alright :eek::mad: (fwiw hell wasn't my first choice of word)

Gary
06-06-10, 04:46 AM
Also, now I am realizing, that what the drivers have to do, to get out of their vehicles, is obviously too much.

In CART, a driver had to PROVE to officials, that they could get out of the car in 7 seconds. If they could not do it, they were not going to be racing.

You assume the driver has not been injured and was able to extract themselves.

They way they ripped her out of the car, it's a good thing she had no injuries. As everyone knows, these so-called race cars have quite a reputaion for injuring drivers. Ripping an injured driver from a car could kill them.

Job one is to put out the fire, not try to rip her out of the burning car. Do you remember the guy in the metalized fire suit and full head covering sitting in back of the CC safety truck? These clowns wouldn't know how to save their mothers if they were burning. They and their leader should all have their teeth knocked out.

Job two is to asess injuries and determine the safest method of extraction. Have you ever seen pictures of the CC Safety Team stradling the nose of a car, checking out the driver? Have you ever seen ANY safety team in ANY series try to rip a driver from a car?

If I were the insurance company of this so-called racing league, I would cancel their policy tomorrow. Same goes for all the drivers' insurers.

And where. pray tell, is the FIA on this one?

opinionated ow
06-06-10, 06:21 AM
from Super simsim on twitter:

Well first one was a big one I m ok it just got a little hot!!!!

Poor bugger! I just want to give her a hug. :(

pchall
06-06-10, 06:22 AM

Almost half of the crew for the Simple Green Safety Team were full time professionals. When CCWS was sold out the IRL bought the equipment but could not retain the skill and professionalism of the unit. As with everything else the IRL has stolen or bought from the wreckage of CART and CCWS, they've made a complete mess of it.

opinionated ow
06-06-10, 06:30 AM
I looked it up on youtube when I saw this thread (and knew that whatever I saw, she was going to come out of it ok). I don't know if they have a full time crew, but what I saw couldn't be refered to as professional in any way, be it full time or part time.:thumdown:

It was not too far removed from, "I thought you had the fire extinguisher? Me? No, you should have it. No, I brought it the last time. What's this thing do? Well, I'm pointing this thing, and nothing's happening. Maybe if I wave it around? No... Let's see, I pretty sure someone mentioned this in the meeting - did you catch what they said? Hey, someone should help her while I figure this thing out."

As I just said on facebook, the first thing to do is get the head restraint out of the way! It is literally only two clips and bloody easy to get out of the way. I know, I've done it on Formula 3 cars many times. They all work the same way...

That was the biggest joke I've ever seen. Absolutely disgraceful and the only reason she is ok is the big man upstairs (aka God) was watching out for her because those morons at the track certainly didn't help her. They were lucky they didn't bugger her back the way they dragged her out...

extramundane
06-06-10, 08:38 AM
Now that would be a great YouTube bit. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Best I could do on short notice: http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=O1ko8mlNzDY

chop456
06-06-10, 09:16 AM
With that level of jackassery, it's a good thing they're not in charge of anything important. Could you imagine if there were lives at stake?

What?

I'll bet it took all of 5 minutes for the brain trust to begin compiling a list of reasons why letting someone burn to death was the correct course of action. :thumbup:

NismoZ
06-06-10, 09:27 AM
"The guys did a pretty good job of getting me out,"-Simona. Uh...WHAT!?:saywhat: I think she'll change her mind when she sees the replay! I've been fairly disgusted with the way things have been going for quite awhile, then I became sad of heart now I think I may simply be getting sick to my stomach. Is Gardner McKay's old sailboat still around? Don't need the adventures, but I think I'd like to check out the " in paradise.":)

opinionated ow
06-06-10, 09:32 AM
"The guys did a pretty good job of getting me out,"-Simona. Uh...WHAT!?:saywhat: I think she'll change her mind when she sees the replay! I've been fairly disgusted with the way things have been going for quite awhile, then I became sad of heart now I think I may simply be getting sick to my stomach. Is Gardner McKay's old sailboat still around? Don't need the adventures, but I think I'd like to check out the " in paradise.":)

i think it is called oh **** I really don't need media now. Plus our swiss miss isn't exactly the controversial type!

pchall
06-06-10, 09:44 AM
i think it is called oh **** I really don't need media now. Plus our swiss miss isn't exactly the controversial type!

Media savvy. When you've just gotten out of the fire you don't want to torch everything.

youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIatXMiyZ6w&feature=youtu.be)

devilmaster
06-06-10, 10:26 AM
Best I could do on short notice: http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=O1ko8mlNzDY

LMAO!!!!! I sooooo love you now.... (in a purely heterosexual way... ahem) That so rocks! :rofl:

devilmaster
06-06-10, 10:29 AM
and now.... http://james.nerdiphythesoul.com/tragedy/?id=O1ko8mlNzDY

I won't do the epic overdub. That jackassery doesn't deserve such an awesome song as O Fortuna.

Corner5
06-06-10, 10:39 AM
Media savvy. When you've just gotten out of the fire you don't want to torch everything.

youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIatXMiyZ6w&feature=youtu.be)

That video took my breath away. :saywhat:

The crew's reaction at the end says it all.

Idiots!

opinionated ow
06-06-10, 10:44 AM
That video took my breath away. :saywhat:

The crew's reaction at the end says it all.

Idiots!

I love the bit where they hold her against the wall. What the hell was that all about? Oh, not sure where these quotes came from apart from facebook:

Keith Wiggins, HVM Racing Team Principal – “That was a scary moment and we are glad she is alright. The safety crew should be ashamed of themselves."

Imran Safiulla, Team Stargate Worlds Principal - “I am completely speechless on what transpired after our car hit the wall. I am just glad Simona is ok despite that circus we saw. The team had done... See more an amazing job and we seemed to have a good race going. It’s just very unfortunate how things ended and we hope to recover from this setback. I would like to thank all our sponsors, families, and friends for their prayers through our few anxious moments this evening.”

Watching that again, I reckon the way they pulled her out actually hindered her getting out. She was getting out through the small opening fine until they started to pull her sideways. they'd better learn some serious stuff from that SNAFU. Again Thank God Super simsim is ok!

Elmo T
06-06-10, 11:10 AM
I was out last night and didn't see video until this AM. Words can't convey... speechless. :flame:

That was an amateur response to that shunt and entirely unacceptable. I won't make it an IRL thing - I've seen excellent work from their teams in the past.

This was a disgrace - and that is a professional opinion.

They reacted like she was going to pop out of the car and she clearly wasn't. God forbid she was unconscious after that hit.

They struggled (the one dude struggled I should say) working the gear to get her out. Those crews normally have preassigned roles and I wonder if that dude was supposed to be worked the pump or something like that. Either way, he stepped in and tried to help. :rolleyes:

The dude with the fire extinguisher forgot to pull the pin. PASS - Pull, Aim , Squeeze, Sweep. :saywhat:

And the crew working the hand line took wayyy to long. Unacceptable.

It was a disgrace. :thumdown:

Andrew Longman
06-06-10, 11:30 AM
It would seem it was the SECOND truck that pulled up which actually managed to finally get some spray on the fire. :rolleyes:

Response time was not exactly "Zanardi-esque" -- she sat there roasting for quite a while -- after grinding for a quarter mile along the wall. :rolleyes:

Simona was gracious though. "Just hope the blisters don't interfere with driving at Iowa." Tough cookie though I thought I saw in her eyes that despite her words she was shook and perhaps pissed. I would be.

Compare that to Castro-Neves' end of night spat.

Elmo T
06-06-10, 11:31 AM
I won't make it an IRL thing - humdown:

I know, quoting myself :rolleyes:, but Papis feels differently.

His Twitter:

Old CART safety team would have done better this is unacceptable really upset for @simdesilvestro accident

BarillaGirl
06-06-10, 02:43 PM
I logged in last night, saw the first two posts, and watched the whole rest of the race in a vain attempt to get an update. If the IRL is so proud of their "emergency response," why didn't the film editors at Versus include it in the race-summary clipshow?

By then I had already tried to find a YouTube video (nothing yet) and found only a short AP wire story in which Simona said she had only burned her hand slightly.

What a different story that video tells..... thanks to pchall for posting the link. I must say I'm glad I knew ahead of time that she ended up fortunately OK. The guys in the first truck had no clue at all what to do. There must have been one buy still in the truck flipping through the index of an enormous binder: "Fire..... fire...... what do we do if there's a FIRE....... oh, wait, look under IndyCar, What To Do If In Flames..... see Appendix C-4...."

What a lucky girl. List me her sponsors so I can help support her team.

dando
06-06-10, 02:45 PM
:eek:

The level of incompetence displayed there...:saywhat: :shakehead :flame:

-Kevin

Gnam
06-06-10, 04:10 PM
This Indystar article about the Safety Team says for two hours before each race, they practice opening an airway on a dummy and extricating it from a race car. :shakehead

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0101/605230379/1149&template=printart

Also here's their accident response procedure:

1. The first truck goes to the car. If it's Safety 1 or 2, the paramedic and emergency room doctor attend to the driver; one crew member carries a fire extinguisher to protect the driver and Safety Team; another spreads oil dry to contain fluids that might run on the track; and a third directs traffic. The crew chief supervises.

2. The paramedic and emergency room doctor use a numeric code on the radio to signal the driver's condition to others on the Safety Team.

3. After the driver's condition is established, the crew chief or doctor can call for an ambulance and/or additional fire trucks.

4. The Command truck goes straight to the car, putting two more doctors on the scene as well as track safety coordinator Dave Brown.

5. The next truck to arrive tries to assess whether any spectators have been injured. It also checks damage to barriers and fences. The rest of the crew begins cleanup.

6. Safety 3 does a complete lap of the track to check for oil, debris or damage.

7. If the driver isn't injured, he's still required to ride off the track on the command truck. If he is injured, an ambulance takes him to the infield medical center.

Elmo T
06-06-10, 04:26 PM
Also here's their accident response procedure:

1. The first truck goes to the car. If it's Safety 1 or 2, the paramedic and emergency room doctor attend to the driver; one crew member carries a fire extinguisher to protect the driver and Safety Team

FAIL

I will take a BIG leap here and assume that there is a procedure for when there IS a fire - the problem was that the procedures where not followed OR they were not followed diligently and swiftly. :rolleyes:

trish
06-06-10, 04:38 PM
I saw a guy run back to the first truck to grab the fire extinguisher when the fire hose was obviously not going to work. And it still took him a moment to get that working.

racermike
06-06-10, 04:57 PM
I know from working with CART safety in the past, every single person going to a car had some kind of a bottle in tow, no matter what was going on.

The reason Simona couldnt get out, is the Safety worker was sitting on the removable guard around her, that she was trying to push up to eject it. She is desperately trying to push that out of the cockpit so she can get out, but cant because a 200lb guy is pushing it down.

Another problem, Brian Barnhart runs the Safety Team, along with trying to run every single operation at the track. Obviously he is not doing a good job because he cannot be everywhere at once.

Its time to designate jobs to the people that know wtf they are doing, and quit the keystone kops look of the IRL the way it is.

Lon Bromley should be hired TOMORROW to take over this crew, and make sure nothing like this ever happens again.

Mike Lawler
06-06-10, 05:11 PM
These guys are suppose to be the TOP safety team around now that the CHAMPCAR team is gone. What I just saw here makes me think otherwise. I put a watch on the first truck to get there. 26 seconds it took to start firefighting. The hose they took off didn't work as it didn't charge. They need a better system. A booster type hose that will work ... Say more immediately. One guy went to the car when everyone else fumbled with what they have now. Right off someone with a bottle needs to go to the car and protect the driver. That wasn't done. Another needs to go attend to the driver. That was done after a brief moment trying with the hose. Now I hate to "dig" these guys because they ARE a good team. But they need to have a sit down about this one and talk about what WASN'T done and how to improve. Also come up with a better hose system for those bigger fires.

TravelGal
06-06-10, 07:07 PM
Fortunately, I had seen her FB entry that she was okay (no MHF, I never watch this ***** live). It took them forever to say anything on the telecast.

You KNOW they didn't replay that fiasco because it showed 1000 % undeniable incompetence on their part. Crashes they can blame elsewhere but this was totally on them.

IMHO, she is lucky they didn't break her back yanking her outta there. :irked::mad:

TrueBrit
06-06-10, 09:18 PM
Good grief that was astounding...I am amazed that she wasn't severely injured by the doofus trying to yank her out of the car...

That has to go down as one of the epic fails of all time...

Glad she is okay..no thanks to the 'tards that run that circus though..

Indy
06-06-10, 10:11 PM
All the professionals are gone.

This is what a death spiral looks like.

Methanolandbrats
06-06-10, 10:16 PM
All the professionals are gone.

This is what a death spiral looks like.

That sure sums it up. Sad, but true.

Rogue Leader
06-07-10, 12:23 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was screaming at the TV. As a firefighter myself these guys would get a serious beating for that joke of an operation around here.

edit - HVM in Racer:

http://www.racer.com/hvm-criticizes-safety-crew-over-fire/article/171800/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

Andrew Longman
06-07-10, 09:18 AM
You KNOW they didn't replay that fiasco because it showed 1000 % undeniable incompetence on their part. Crashes they can blame elsewhere but this was totally on them.

Even Jenkins said, "Let's get the flames retarded, shall we?" and suggested they, "Get her out of there but quick"

When Jenkins is not going all gomertastic over anything you do you know you've really screwed up.

Corner5
06-07-10, 09:42 AM
No one should downplay Simona's injuries either. Burns are serious business and her burns are on her palm which she needs for driving. Burns take time to heal and need therapy.

info- "Burns are not static and may mature. Over a few hours a first degree burn may involve deeper structures and become second degree. Think of a sunburn that blisters the next day. Similarly, second degree burns may evolve into third degree burns.

Regardless of the type of burn, inflammation and fluid accumulation in and around the wound occur. Moreover, it should be noted that the skin is the body's first defense against infection by microorganisms. A burn is also a break in the skin, and the risk of infection exists both at the site of the injury and potentially throughout the body.

Only the epidermis has the ability to regenerate itself. Burns that extend deeper may cause permanent injury and scarring and not allow the skin in that area to return to normal function.

Burns to areas of the body with flexion creases, like the palm of the hand, the back of the knee, the face, and the groin may need specialized care. As the burn matures, the skin may scar and shorten, preventing full range of motion of the body area."

It would be interesting to hear how she's doing today.

dando
06-07-10, 11:43 AM
So when did they start using hoses instead of extinguishers?

-Kevin

Wheel-Nut
06-07-10, 12:21 PM
Compare that to Castro-Neves' end of night spat.

Was it Viso? Sammich would have punched Helio right in the visor.

What happened to present day drivers? When did the wussification happen?

Andrew Longman
06-07-10, 12:31 PM

Point taken. but spare me the Logano and Dad tag team death match.

And I root for the the socially challenged geekness Logano to stake his red neck claim :gomer:

Elmo T
06-07-10, 12:31 PM

TK (the original) said as much last night.

TKGAngel
06-07-10, 12:54 PM

It was Helio & Moraes. Helio was saying that it was Moraes fault for cutting him off since he should know that Helio was running the outside line all night as his radio didn't work. The best part of Helio's meltdown was PT & Max's near simultaneous tweeting that Helio's hair never moved during the whole thing.

spare me the Logano and Dad tag team death match.

Gibbs has his hands full with his three drivers, that's for sure.

Chief
06-07-10, 01:03 PM
Hindsight is 20/20....how ironic is it that a burning female is in need of service and several male attendants stand nearby with limp hoses?:p

Holmatro should pull their sponsorship IMMEDIATELY...and be replaced with Viagra.:tony:

Good lord, isn't this just continum of the IRL experience, 1996 - 2010 anyway? Should anyone REALLY be surprized?

Wheel-Nut
06-07-10, 01:19 PM
It was Helio & Moraes. . . .

Thanks. Point is you don't let someone get in your face like that and not throw a few punches.

Steve99
06-07-10, 02:33 PM
There's only one way to fix this level of incompetence. Shut the "league" down!

Succesfully? Apparently they haven't yet.

oddlycalm
06-07-10, 05:40 PM
When sponsorship expanded outside of tobacco, motor oil and beer and sponsors started calling the shots with restrictive behavior clauses in contracts.

oc

Don Quixote
06-07-10, 05:45 PM
Where is that James Hunt photo when you need it?

RichK
06-07-10, 06:40 PM

Don Quixote
06-07-10, 07:33 PM
246 That's it! :thumbup: I call her "big red".

oddlycalm
06-07-10, 08:15 PM
Hindsight is 20/20....how ironic is it that a burning female is in need of service and several male attendants stand nearby with limp hoses?:p
Were I running the EARL that limp hose Brainfart would be gone by next race and Cotman would be his replacement.

oc

Rogue Leader
06-08-10, 12:44 AM
IRL says "its being addressed"

http://www.racer.com/indycar-responds-to-complaints-about-texas-fire/article/171894/

BarillaGirl
06-08-10, 07:02 AM
And it's AOL to the rescue again, with a fiery photo, a trapped driver, and headlines that allege wrongdoing. On Monday night. SOP for them, but always meriting a :saywhat:

For my breaking news, I go to OC!

Elmo T
06-08-10, 08:19 AM
IRL says "its being addressed"

http://www.racer.com/indycar-responds-to-complaints-about-texas-fire/article/171894/

As a FF, your experience is probably the same as mine -> 99.9% of the time not getting water from pump is operator error.

opinionated ow
06-08-10, 10:25 AM
From another forum I often visit:
http://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=32940&page=2

Simona called me today to get another helmet ready and she still wasn't too wigged out about it. She's seen the tape over and over. She said the problem was they were trying to pull her sideways to get her out of the car. The body doesn't bend that way. With the design of the cockpit, they needed to pull her UP and then forward, not side ways, she said her feet were still stuck in the pedal area..... knees held up on the steering shaft. She said she was more worried about them breaking her foot than the fire. She said she never felt any heat until she put her hand down on the edge of the head surround to push herself up. So kudos to good safety equipment.....a Bell GP2 helmet and a new Speed Race Wear uniform! This girl rocks.

oddlycalm
06-08-10, 02:50 PM
As a FF, your experience is probably the same as mine -> 99.9% of the time not getting water from pump is operator error.
Dead on right. That combined with the fact that they tried to pull her out sideways indicates a profound lack of a training and professionalism. When the situation arose their training and experience didn't kick in, instead they looked like people doing it for the first time. That's a management issue. :thumdown:

oc

JohnHKart
06-08-10, 07:30 PM
Just horrible....again reminds me of Zandvoort 1973.

Rogue Leader
06-08-10, 10:29 PM

Yep... those things just don't fail. People do

Dead on right. That combined with the fact that they tried to pull her out sideways indicates a profound lack of a training and professionalism. When the situation arose their training and experience didn't kick in, instead they looked like people doing it for the first time. That's a management issue. :thumdown:

oc

I agree

Elmo T
06-09-10, 08:04 AM
Photo linked from Simona's Twitter:

Trying to save some parts!!!! (http://www.zannel.com/viewupdate.htm?id=PTWSTN)

opinionated ow
06-09-10, 10:45 AM
her helmet:
http://tweetphoto.com/26358309

f***!

TrueBrit
06-09-10, 03:07 PM
her helmet:

f***!

You got that right! F*** indeed!:eek:

Elmo T
06-09-10, 03:25 PM
That is direct flame contact. :saywhat:

I certainly hope someone there is stepping up, saying we f***ed up, here is how we are fixing it, and it will never happen again. :irked:

pchall
06-09-10, 03:35 PM
the tub

http://www.zannel.com/webservices/content/PTWSTN/Image-568x758-JPG.jpg

Don Quixote
06-09-10, 04:00 PM
I certainly hope someone there is stepping up, saying we f***ed up, here is how we are fixing it, and it will never happen again. :irked:
You are dreaming. Look for something like "The indyracing league puts the safety of its drivers and crews as the top priority. We are investigating the cause of the equipment failure so that this does not happen again. Blah blah blah."

oddlycalm
06-09-10, 09:21 PM
You are dreaming. Look for something like "The indyracing league puts the safety of its drivers and crews as the top priority. We are investigating the cause of the equipment failure so that this does not happen again. Blah blah blah."
Agreed, that's exactly what they will do but I don't think it will wash. Even the hard core gomerati and media shills are pissed. If they don't do something concrete people are going to be put off.

oc

Indy
06-09-10, 10:20 PM
How could they possibly piss someone off who would matter to them? Anyone who would still be a fan of Indycar would gladly eat whatever **** the IRL could possibly have to offer them.

BarillaGirl
06-10-10, 08:11 AM
her helmet:

f***!

If that weren't key evidence (which it should be preserved to be), that helmet should be auctioned off and the money used to fund TRAINING FOR SAFETY CREWS AT INDYCAR RACES. What a concept.

Michaelhatesfans
06-10-10, 10:03 AM
They're going to need a bigger bucket.

the tub

http://www.zannel.com/webservices/content/PTWSTN/Image-568x758-JPG.jpg

Don Quixote
06-10-10, 10:08 AM
They're going to need a bigger bucket.
:rofl:

Methanolandbrats
06-10-10, 10:13 AM
It really doesn't look that much different burned.

gerhard911
06-10-10, 07:06 PM
It really doesn't look that much worse burned.

Edited for accuracy ;)

Chief
06-11-10, 06:31 PM
Strange....the greatest safety crew in the universe somehow managed to not roast this loser....

9jzuldrefXg

Steve99
06-11-10, 07:18 PM
Why do these cars catch fire after contact with the wall? And not just the standard flash oil fire that goes out quickly on its own. I don't recall that happening in CART.

Methanolandbrats
06-11-10, 07:29 PM
Why do these cars catch fire after contact with the wall? And not just the standard flash oil fire that goes out quickly on its own. I don't recall that happening in CART. Oil cooler location? Just a guess.

grungex
06-11-10, 09:19 PM
It's a Dallara. 'Nuff said.

devilmaster
06-11-10, 09:33 PM
well, first off, they didn't have the fancy dancy fire hose in the bumper so they had to use the tried and true extinguishers....

and since they all had one in hand, its amazing how much better the response was.

Elmo T
06-11-10, 09:43 PM
well, first off, they didn't have the fancy dancy fire hose in the bumper so they had to use the tried and true extinguishers....

and since they all had one in hand, its amazing how much better the response was.

We have a winner. :thumbup:

Indy
06-12-10, 11:50 AM
Why do these cars catch fire after contact with the wall? And not just the standard flash oil fire that goes out quickly on its own. I don't recall that happening in CART.

Looks like they have replaced carbon fiber with paper mache. Dipped in kerosene.

BarillaGirl
06-12-10, 12:16 PM
Looks like they have replaced carbon fiber with paper mache. Dipped in kerosene.

There's no way that's not a good idea..... :saywhat:

JoeBob
06-12-10, 08:56 PM
If you look closely, you'll see that the crew getting Special Ed out of the car was the Chicagoland safety crew. The IRL's team showed up after he was already out of the car.

Ed also had trouble with the head restraint, and then with the drink bottle/radio.

When they're making drivers show how quickly they can get out of the car, I wonder if they're not doing it in full race trim.

grungex
06-12-10, 10:22 PM
Maybe they should set the car on fire when they do the test...

BarillaGirl
06-12-10, 10:37 PM
Maybe they should set the car on fire when they do the test...

I remember seeing Bobby Rahal get out of a car awful quick a few years ago. :eek: (Andrew, how do you embed YouTube videos?)

I've had a similar response while cycling past angry dogs that wanted a taste of my ankle. You don't know how fast you can get your shoe out of a firmly strapped toe clip until you really need to.

pchall
06-13-10, 10:28 AM
Oil cooler location? Just a guess.

Seems likely enough. But for a series that race on high speed ovals placing the oil cooler in the right sidepod seems rather stupid. But, hey. It is the IRL.

I remember seeing Bobby Rahal get out of a car awful quick a few years ago. :eek: (Andrew, how do you embed YouTube videos?)

Are you remembering Motegi in 1998 during his retirement season? Nice too know that a dozen years is a "few". Makes me feel lots younger. :)

oddlycalm
06-17-10, 01:59 PM
After nearly two weeks to think about we have the predictable outcome.The best they could come up with (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84536) :shakehead

Brainfart - "Our safety team is at the forefront of motorsport safety and has set a very high standard in its response to all on-track incidents," he said. "We are always continually looking for ways to improve the way we operate." Translation: Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes...?

Mike Yates, IRL track safety manager, said: "Prior to every race, the safety team tests all hoses to ensure they're working. At Texas, there was an error in the re-packing of the hose(s) after the test, which caused it to malfunction. Both hoses on two trucks? Because they didn't know how? Because they decided to do it different to see what would happen...?

"Upon arriving at the scene, our protocol calls for safety team members to take pressurised canisters with water and Cold Fire to the car to extinguish the fire as a first response," said Yates
So the safety team decided to ignore protocol just to see what would happen...? What about ignoring proper procedure to extricate the driver from the car?

As always, weak and incompetent. TG may be gone but his legacy is secure.:thumdown:

oc

TravelGal
06-17-10, 05:27 PM
As always, weak and incompetent. TG may be gone but his legacy is secure.:thumdown:

oc

I'm not going to do it, I'm not. I am. "Winner, winner, chicken friccasee dinner."

The worst (best) is that Barnbrain is now getting a hailstorm of criticism for comparing this screw up to a blown call at a Super Bowl. :eek::shakehead

Elmo T
07-08-10, 02:31 PM
Can you think of anyone else who should be practicing this:

driver extraction test (http://twitpic.com/23i97k)