PDA

View Full Version : Rossi out with broken leg

oddlycalm
06-05-10, 03:39 PM
Rossi out with bad leg break (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84151)

He took a bad bounce in the gravel trap. Ouch. Get well soon doc.

oc

RichK
06-07-10, 05:33 PM
He'll miss his first race since '96, I think. I'm bummed he won't be at Monterey this year, but I'll bet he's more bummed that bones were sticking out of his skin....

emjaya
06-07-10, 07:41 PM
Nasty. They are saying he is out for at least four months.

Rogue Leader
06-07-10, 08:42 PM
Guess that means Jorge Lorenzo is gonna be WC barring multiple complete brainfarts :rolleyes:

emjaya
06-08-10, 12:49 AM
The Repsol Honda riders might have something to say about that. Lorenzo couldn't catch Pedrosa, or get away from Dovizioso.

Rogue Leader
06-08-10, 07:36 AM
The Repsol Honda riders might have something to say about that. Lorenzo couldn't catch Pedrosa, or get away from Dovizioso.

Neither Pedrosa or Dovisioso have what it takes to be World Champ, Lorenzo is good, and without Rossi around he won't get his panties in a wad so much so he will be more of a machine out there. Pedrosa will dump his bike a couple more times and Dovisioso just won't be able to keep up.

And I'm NOT a Lorenzo fan, I'd love to see Hayden or someone else come up and kick his ass but thats just not happening.

DagoFast
06-08-10, 12:52 PM
It looks like Dorna will find out sooner rather than later just how much not having Rossi in the field is going to affect ticket sales and TV ratings.

Heal well Valentino. :thumbup:

The upside is to see who, if anyone, can or will step up to challenge for wins on a consistent basis. Out of the usual class of "aliens" of Pedrosa, Stoner and Lorenzo, Jorge would seem to be in the catbird seat. He is leading the points, on arguably the best bike and over the last two years has been the most consistent over the course of an entire season out of the three.

Pedrosa has been surprisingly quick considering how far off the team was in pre-season testing. And Mugello went perfectly him. Historically, Pedro hates to dice. Dovi is close to the front and will be a factor for podiums. Stoner seems to be having an awful year thus far, but as last year showed, when his planets are correctly aligned, he is a force of nature.

I would love to see Spies become more of a factor, but its tough enough just to be a rookie in this class.

RichK
06-08-10, 01:31 PM
I think Lorenzo will win this year. It should be good fun watching him & his arch-nemesis Pedrosa battle it out, though!

I think one of the Eurosport guys said that Rossi's leg is really a result of Lorenzo's pressure so far this season. Rossi always leaves a bit of margin, but the pressure from his teammate this year had him going 100% in all sessions at Mugello, and he made a mistake with cold-ish tires.

oddlycalm
06-09-10, 09:07 PM
As long as Lorenzo can stay with Pedrosa he can beat him. The trick will be not letting him get a good start and gapping.

This is a tough business and Rossi has had a great run without a major injury. I hope he is able to return for more of the same.

oc

pchall
06-10-10, 06:04 AM
Nasty. They are saying he is out for at least four months.

Tib/fib complex breaks take a long time to heal properly. Sixteen weeks with external fixation for the first ten or twelve and then a walking boot would be about right. Of course, racers tend to hurry things along -- but 40 days seems way too quick since the relatively soft bone of the tibia is slow to mend. Trust me on this one, I'm still dealing with the crap of this kind of injury 13+ years later on...

Cam
06-10-10, 10:34 AM
Tib/fib complex breaks take a long time to heal properly. Sixteen weeks with external fixation for the first ten or twelve and then a walking boot would be about right. Of course, racers tend to hurry things along -- but 40 days seems way too quick since the relatively soft bone of the tibia is slow to mend. Trust me on this one, I'm still dealing with the crap of this kind of injury 13+ years later on...

The well-to-do's also have hyperbaric chambers.

G.
06-10-10, 03:25 PM
Nasty. :(

who's taking his ride?

emjaya
06-10-10, 07:38 PM
Nasty. :(

who's taking his ride?

Good question. Colin Edwards, probably.

Yamaha not eager to replace Rossi (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84233)

"We have two test riders, but they are a bit slow, and to see an excessive gap among riders isn't nice. Unfortunately it's difficult to find an available rider at MotoGP level."

Gazzetta dello Sport also says one of the candidates to replace Rossi is Superbike rider Cal Crutchlow, while it is believed Tech 3 rider Colin Edwards is also among the favourites for the seat.

Me, I would give it to Ben Spies, but Spies might be too fast for Lorenzo's liking, which is why Edwards will probably get it.

G.
06-10-10, 10:52 PM
Good question. Colin Edwards, probably.

Yamaha not eager to replace Rossi (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84233)

Me, I would give it to Ben Spies, but Spies might be too fast for Lorenzo's liking, which is why Edwards will probably get it.

I'd be worried about Spies getting in over his head too early.

(doesn't mean I know crap, though.)

emjaya
06-20-10, 09:05 AM
I'd be worried about Spies getting in over his head too early.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. :D

oddlycalm
06-20-10, 03:43 PM
On one hand they say they don't want slow riders and on the other they say it doesn't matter, that they would rather not replace him at all. Seems likely to be a nightmare ride for whoever gets it if the teams heart isn't in it.

oc

emjaya
06-26-10, 08:19 AM
Wataru Yoshikawa, Yamaha test rider, is to replace Rossi.

9th in the 1996 World Superbike Championship and two Japanese Superbike titles in the 1990's. He sounds perfect. :gomer:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84692

oddlycalm
06-26-10, 11:29 PM
Wataru Yoshikawa, Yamaha test rider, is to replace Rossi.

9th in the 1996 World Superbike Championship and two Japanese Superbike titles in the 1990's. He sounds perfect. :gomer:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84692
Right, because a 41yr old nobody circulating around at the back of the pack is going to accomplish what.....???

Too bad they don't let Spies sit in. He had the moves to fight it out with Lorenzo and Pedrosa today but he didn't have the bike to do it on. I thought it would take him longer to get up to speed in MotoGP but I was wrong.

oc

emjaya
07-03-10, 10:03 AM
1 99 Jorge LORENZO YAMAHA 1'42.046

17 8 Wataru YOSHIKAWA YAMAHA 1'45.759 3.713

Dead last and over three seconds down on Lorenzo. :rolleyes:

RichK
07-06-10, 01:16 PM
Right, because a 41yr old nobody circulating around at the back of the pack is going to accomplish what.....???

oc

I read an opinion piece on superbikeplanet.com where it was pointed out that the substitute rider's main job is to not break engines, which is why they chose their test rider. The 6 engine/season rule really sucks!

NismoZ
07-07-10, 11:00 AM
Sorry if this is too morbid or anything but in the middle of a big 4th bash at our place I saw a replay of a bad fall in the Moto 2 race in Spain. What happened? I mean I'm certain I could see the clip on Youtube but I don't think I really want to if the guy was seriously hurt...or worse. Looked like the cartwheeling bike smacked him as he slid? Hope he's OK.

RichK
07-07-10, 12:21 PM
Sorry if this is too morbid or anything but in the middle of a big 4th bash at our place I saw a replay of a bad fall in the Moto 2 race in Spain. What happened? I mean I'm certain I could see the clip on Youtube but I don't think I really want to if the guy was seriously hurt...or worse. Looked like the cartwheeling bike smacked him as he slid? Hope he's OK.

Yeah, that looked like a fatality at first. Then some security guys decided to yank him over the wall before the medical crew could get there!

He ended up perfectly fine, and was seen eating lunch in hospitality a while later.

RichK
07-07-10, 12:23 PM
Rossi testing a World Superbike at Misano today! Only a month after bones were sticking out of his leg.... (http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/Jul/100707a.htm)

Gnam
07-14-10, 04:38 PM
From the Laguna Seca newsletter:

LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING BACK
Latest Word From Rossi

"I'm really excited that my doctors think I can ride this weekend. Tomorrow I will see the medical officer and then we will have the final decision. I felt good on the R1 but I know my M1 at the track is a different thing and it will be hard for me, but I miss my bike and my team and I want to try. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone and being back in the paddock; I was tired of being at home! Wataru will be there as well so if there is a problem he will ride my bike again."

Impressive. :thumbup:

Although just becasue he is allowed to race, doesn't mean he should.

Ankf00
07-14-10, 04:42 PM
big dick player, swinging past the knees

Methanolandbrats
07-14-10, 05:49 PM
big dick player, swinging past the knees

His brains must be in his dick too, what a stupid thing to do.

RichK
07-15-10, 01:09 PM
Motorbike racers are a different breed. I love it!

Rossi just confirmed Laguna Seca. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

TedN
07-18-10, 09:24 AM
Nice comeback by Rossi today in Germany.

Ted

BarillaGirl
07-21-10, 07:19 PM
Is anyone going to the Red Bull GP in Indy? I might, and I'd like to see one of y'all in person. Axe murderers need not reply. ;)

stroker
07-21-10, 10:01 PM
Axe murderers need not reply. ;)

D'OH!

:p

BarillaGirl
07-25-10, 02:32 PM
D'OH!

:p

Geez, anybody else? Srsly, buy you a Foster's.

oddlycalm
07-26-10, 01:17 AM
Pretty good race at Laguna. Rossi injured is still better than all but a couple. Some excitement from Spies. Nice to be able to see quals for a change.

oc

RichK
07-26-10, 12:52 PM
Amazing to watch the guy get to his bike, walking with two canes. He was extremely gracious with the fans at Laguna this weekend. Only 7 weeks after a double compound fracture and two bad shoulders, he stood and gave autographs and took pictures every time he had to run the gauntlet between the team area and the hot pits. :thumbup: