PDA

View Full Version : Mike Conway Crash Pictures

opinionated ow
06-03-10, 10:13 PM
Far out...
http://www.scottrichardsonphotography.com/2010/05/31/indianapolis-500-conway-wreck-5-30-10/

SteveH
06-03-10, 10:18 PM
A bunch of luck in those pictures.

BarillaGirl
06-03-10, 10:33 PM
Far out...
http://www.scottrichardsonphotography.com/2010/05/31/indianapolis-500-conway-wreck-5-30-10/

Wow, those are amazing pictures, and the reader comments on them are enough to give you pause at the risks the drivers take every time they strap in.

dando
06-03-10, 10:46 PM
:eek: x 11

-Kevin

Gnam
06-04-10, 01:27 AM
Around lap 175 I vowed to myself that I would be extremely alert and ready should anything happen. There was to be no chimping, no looking at the crowd, no eating, no drinking , etc., etc….just watching the cars come off of turn 3 and keeping the camera up to my eye.

How did he resist the temptation to stand in line for a scanner or hide from the sun under the bleachers? These amazing pictures were only possible because this dedicated photographer knew what Indy meant. :p

Andrew Longman
06-04-10, 05:18 AM
How did he resist the temptation to stand in line for a scanner or hide from the sun under the bleachers? These amazing pictures were only possible because this dedicated photographer knew what Indy meant. :p

Spectacular Scott. I’ve shot vintage racing for years and initially, I was hesitant shooting accidents.I’ve come to realize my job is to capture the incident no matter what. There may be safety, medical or legal implications, but that’s not my worry at the instant the unthinkable happens. Such high-quality shots could be useful when examining the incident to improve driver and spectator safety.

It is a dirty job but someone has to do it. :rolleyes:

Amazing photos though.

Elmo T
06-04-10, 06:21 AM
I am seeing a new framed display in the IMS shop. :gomer::yuck:

We were in Indy for the 2001 GP. Staying downtown, we stopped in the mall. The IMS store had a framed wall display with sequential photos of the Stan Fox shunt. Really, WTF, who buys that? :shakehead

Napoleon
06-04-10, 07:07 AM
Wow.

pchall
06-04-10, 07:21 AM
I am seeing a new framed display in the IMS shop. :gomer::yuck:

We were in Indy for the 2001 GP. Staying downtown, we stopped in the mall. The IMS store had a framed wall display with sequential photos of the Stan Fox shunt. Really, WTF, who buys that? :shakehead

There is a large segment of Indy history and fandumb dedicated to who died where on the track and how gruesomely. In the early 80s I got a copy of Terry Reed's "Indy: The Race and Ritual of the Indianapolis 500" and was appalled at how much of the book was dedicated to cataloging death at the the track instead recounting the races. If you want to lose your breakfast this morning check out this web site dedicated to one particular death at IMS: not for casual viewing and reading (http://www.vukovichaccident.com/)

Clearly there are a lot of Indy placefan ghouls out there who would buy that sequence of photos.

emjaya
06-04-10, 09:13 AM

The day had become very monotonous as the cars droned by lap after lap with the only excitement coming occasionally when there would be a pass coming out of turn 3.

:gomer:

Elmo T
06-04-10, 09:42 AM
If you want to lose your breakfast this morning check out this web site dedicated to one particular death at IMShotos.

Not to downplay the loss, but the Challenger disaster report wasn't that detailed. :rolleyes:

And the "artificial images" were a nice touch. :saywhat::thumdown:

JLMannin
06-04-10, 10:48 AM
Who was driving #77? One frame, #77 appeared to be on a collision course with the tub - the next frame, had steered inside.

Andrew Longman
06-04-10, 12:08 PM
Not to downplay the loss, but the Challenger disaster report wasn't that detailed. :rolleyes:

Or the Kennedy assassination.

(note: there were countless photos of the Challenger, especially of the recovered vehicle, that were never released to the public. Through acquaintances at NASA I've heard about them and understand why they were never released)

RichK
06-04-10, 12:38 PM
Those are amazing shots. In pretty much every photo, most of the fans haven't yet reacted to what's happening right in front of them.

Also, his visor opened upon impact with the fence. I wonder if he didn't click it closed all the way or if the force opened it.

Rogue Leader
06-04-10, 01:30 PM
Or the Kennedy assassination.

(note: there were countless photos of the Challenger, especially of the recovered vehicle, that were never released to the public. Through acquaintances at NASA I've heard about them and understand why they were never released)

I've heard about that to and as well am glad they never were released.

High Sided
06-04-10, 01:50 PM
I've heard about that to and as well am glad they never were released.

same thing for earnhardts autopsy photo's.

Ed_Severson
06-04-10, 03:51 PM
Who was driving #77? One frame, #77 appeared to be on a collision course with the tub - the next frame, had steered inside.

Tagliani.

TKGAngel
06-04-10, 06:55 PM
RHR posted a pic of his helmet from last week, commenting that the roll hoop and camera behind him were gone.

http://tweetphoto.com/25571941

He was incredibly lucky.

JLMannin
06-04-10, 07:39 PM
Tagliani.

CART experience - explains why he can drive.

This is the first year since I first became aware of the Indy 500 in the early '70's that I did not watch a single lap of any of the coverage. I do not know who was in the race, nor do I care.

FTG
06-04-10, 08:10 PM
He was incredibly lucky.

Extremely. The two worst things in open wheel are wheel to wheel contact launching a car and driver hit in the helmet. We missed both by a few inches.

gerhard911
06-04-10, 09:45 PM
Fudge ! Now I have to go cold turkey on Dad's Root Beer :cry:

Elmo T
06-05-10, 06:53 AM
Extremely. The two worst things in open wheel are wheel to wheel contact launching a car and driver hit in the helmet. We missed both by a few inches.

I don't disagree, but we've seen lots of cars launched in wheel to wheel contact. More than that, the issue is the subsequent contact with the fence/wall/pole. Those have been the incidents with tragic outcomes.

BarillaGirl
06-05-10, 10:03 AM
Tagliani.

Tag should be a prime candidate for therapy sessions, after cutting Alex Zanardi's tub in half in 2001, and now this. :eek::eek:

NismoZ
06-05-10, 03:42 PM
OK, no whining then when the chosen new design includes nerf-wings or bodywork that prevents the kind of accidents discussed here. Still "openwheel" racing, perhaps not so WIDE open? The "Sort Of Open Wheel " racing forum on OC?

pchall
06-05-10, 03:58 PM
OK, no whining then when the chosen new design includes nerf-wings or bodywork that prevents the kind of accidents discussed here. Still "openwheel" racing, perhaps not so WIDE open? The "Sort Of Open Wheel " racing forum on OC?

I'm not finished bitching about the IRL not mandating actual dirt car style nerf bars on the current chassis for oval racing. That Dallara is so ugly that the funkiness of real nerf bars would actually improve the looks.

http://racewaymagazine.com/July%202005/Baker_Lancaster6-30/D%20Wollaber.jpg

pchall
06-05-10, 03:59 PM
I'm not finished bitching about the IRL not mandating actual dirt and asphalt car style nerf bars on the current chassis for oval racing. That Dallara is so ugly that the funkiness of real nerf bars would actually improve the looks.

http://racewaymagazine.com/July%202005/Baker_Lancaster6-30/D%20Wollaber.jpg

Elmo T
06-08-10, 08:13 AM
From the link on the Texas fire, I saw this gem:

IndyCar urged to act over Conway crash (http://www.racer.com/indycar-urged-to-act-over-conway-crash/article/171679/)

So you think "sweet" and that maybe some folks will be taking a hard look at all the potential problems. Then you read this:

Double Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk and former Marlboro 500 winner Mark Blundell have called on the IZOD IndyCar Series to act to curb teams employing fuel-saving strategies on ovals in the aftermath of Mike Conway's accident.

AND

"Like every other race, when a car is running out of fuel or having a mechanical problem, we implore the driver to move as quickly as possible to the apron of the track and out of the way of traffic," said Barnhart. "With the timing of the incident at Indy, Ryan's car just began to sputter and there was no time for him to pull out of the line of traffic before impact was made."

:rolleyes:

G.
06-08-10, 11:42 AM
From the link on the Texas fire, I saw this gem:

IndyCar urged to act over Conway crash (http://www.racer.com/indycar-urged-to-act-over-conway-crash/article/171679/)

So you think "sweet" and that maybe some folks will be taking a hard look at all the potential problems. Then you read this:

AND

:rolleyes:
Mandatory pit windows.

Hey, it's on the short list of **** they haven't taken from CART/CC. :\

Don Quixote
06-08-10, 12:01 PM
Mandatory pit stops on every lap. This would solve two problems. First, nobody would run out of fuel. Second, the cars would never get up to speed, and therefore the probability of getting airborne goes down. I'm not sure what to do about possible increased pit row incidents, give me some time to think about that. :gomer:

Michaelhatesfans
06-08-10, 12:03 PM
"Double Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk and former Marlboro 500 winner Mark Blundell have called on the IZOD IndyCar Series to act to curb teams employing fuel-saving strategies on ovals in the aftermath of Mike Conway's accident. "

That doesn't make any sense. How's Danica meant to get into the top ten?

Methanolandbrats
06-08-10, 12:06 PM
All IRL press releases, changes, plans and brainstorms merit an automatic WGAF. None of it is worth spending a millisecond thinking about.

BarillaGirl
06-08-10, 10:29 PM
...I'm not sure what to do about possible increased pit row incidents, give me some time to think about that. :gomer:

Well, as long as Mikey Andretti's not driving, the pit crews will be safer....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6ndqIIKD8

Don Quixote
06-09-10, 12:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh6ndqIIKD8Ah yes, the famous drive over the crew member's head pit stop. If you want help embedding videos, ask Andrew! :p

Andrew Longman
06-09-10, 08:56 AM

Just as an aside, did you happen to notice the safety worker coming to push Papis' car was carrying a fire bottle? Clearly the car was about to explode at any moment.

Trev and I will also be running a YouTube clinic on June 20th at 1:30 for those who care. We checked the TV schedule and there shouldn't be any conflict at that time.:tony:

extramundane
06-09-10, 11:02 AM

Fortunately, Mikey passed along all of his pit road driving skills to his #1 Star Driver. She just prefers to hit them when entering the stall.

High Sided
06-09-10, 11:23 AM
looking at the video i'd blame the guy holding mickey as much if not more than mickey, he even gave him a thumbs up as he stepped away :shakehead

BarillaGirl
06-10-10, 08:08 AM
looking at the video i'd blame the guy holding mickey as much if not more than mickey, he even gave him a thumbs up as he stepped away :shakehead

Oh, I just like blaming Mikey. ;)

My favorite Andretti incident after that one is the one where he ran off course because he had forgotten he'd JUST switched either to or from rain tires. But the cartwheeling out of Turn 3 into the sand at Mid-Ohio in 1998 is another high point. (I knew a four-year-old who saw that incident live at the track, and even 24 hours later nobody had bothered to tell him that the driver had lived.)

Back when cars were relatively safe, and safety teams were safer.

cameraman
06-25-10, 04:38 PM
And it seems that Paul Tracy has been hired to replace Mike Conway who is taking a few months off to heal that fractured thoracic vertebra. :rolleyes: