PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Hopper RIP

Gnam
05-29-10, 03:56 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/dennis-hopper-actor-and-iconoclast-has-died/

What a great ride. :(

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8306/45671264.jpg

Methanolandbrats
05-29-10, 04:02 PM
Damn. Frank was the best bad guy ever. :thumbup:

G.
05-29-10, 04:05 PM
:(

Maybe watch True Romance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU9OrGbbYnY) tonight...

Link is not for the children. Won't somebody please think of the children?

nrc
05-29-10, 05:10 PM
Great actor, great dialog, great scene.

Sorry to read that he was embroiled in conflict with his wife during his final battle with cancer. I hadn't heard that he was gravely ill but it seemed understood that the unveiling of his star on the walk of fame might be his final bow.

RIP

Michaelhatesfans
05-29-10, 05:31 PM

A true talent.

stroker
05-29-10, 08:28 PM
I always thought it was interesting that he was in a few of The Duke's movies, re: True Grit.

But I'll still always remember him for Apocalypse Now....

nrc
05-29-10, 09:14 PM
I always thought it was interesting that he was in a few of The Duke's movies, re: True Grit.

And before that, James Dean. The man was a true Hollywood icon and a great talent. Unfortunately between rubbing Hollywood the wrong way and bouts with drugs and alcohol he didn't accomplish as much as he might have.

stroker
05-29-10, 10:19 PM
He directed "The Hot Spot", which I originally liked because Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connolly get real naked in it, but the movie is pretty good, too.

devilmaster
05-30-10, 10:00 AM
He directed "The Hot Spot", which I originally liked because Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connolly get real naked in it, but the movie is pretty good, too.

Good flick... might have to ummm.... watch that one again... in tribute, of course.

dando
05-30-10, 10:42 AM
Hoosiers. :thumbup: RIP. :(

-Kevin

emjaya
05-30-10, 07:28 PM

oddlycalm
05-30-10, 11:26 PM

Maybe watch True Romance tonight...

Good call G., one of a my all time faves. What a career.

Hope he had some peace at the end.

oc

trish
05-30-10, 11:39 PM
Is this thread supposed to be funny?

Michaelhatesfans
05-31-10, 03:06 AM

You'll have to get "Hearts of Darkness." The stuff he was doing off camera was as memorable as the stuff that they used in the film.

G.
05-31-10, 02:30 PM
Is this thread supposed to be funny?
:confused:

trish
05-31-10, 02:48 PM
:confused:

stroker's last post followed by devilmaster, and then oddlycalm's before the edit had my mind going in a very bad direction. You had to be there. :o

oddlycalm
05-31-10, 03:23 PM
stroker's last post followed by devilmaster, and then oddlycalm's before the edit had my mind going in a very bad direction. You had to be there. :o
Yeah, I caught that as well which is why I bothered to correct my spelling error. Unintentional. :gomer:

"Hot Spot" is a decent film noir. I saw it again recently and aside from being a bit overly long and slow in places it holds up remarkably well 20yrs later. Probably the best performance anyone ever got out of Don Johnson as well.

oc

devilmaster
05-31-10, 03:28 PM
was it a lighthearted comment? yes.

Was it meant to be disrespectful of the departed? No.

If you read it as such, thats not my fault.

trish
05-31-10, 03:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just confused. I'm still not sure if there is a short joke in the Gary Coleman thread or not.

To bring this back on topic.

The only movie I really remember him from is Apocalypse Now and he was also recently in a cable series that a watched a little of called Crash.

I hope he's in a better place now and condolonces to his family.

Michaelhatesfans
05-31-10, 05:27 PM
"Hot Spot" is a decent film noir.

Have to admit I never actually saw the film, but I have the soundtrack, and it's incredible.:thumbup:

TrueBrit
06-01-10, 03:32 PM
Dennis Hopper, like Jack Nicholson, had been able to make bank in the latter half of his career by playing parodies of himself from earlier in his career..

Shame he turned into a douche before he died...

Definitely a character..that's for sure..

nrc
06-01-10, 08:01 PM
Dennis Hopper, like Jack Nicholson, had been able to make bank in the latter half of his career by playing parodies of himself from earlier in his career..

Shame he turned into a douche before he died...

How so? The version I've read is that he'd mellowed considerably in his later years.

chop456
06-02-10, 02:08 AM
"Hot Spot" is a decent film noir. I saw it again recently and aside from being a bit overly long and slow in places it holds up remarkably well 20yrs later. Probably the best performance anyone ever got out of Don Johnson as well.

And two of the best performances from Jennifer Connelly.

TrueBrit
06-02-10, 09:32 AM
How so? The version I've read is that he'd mellowed considerably in his later years.

Tried to divorce his wife to trigger the pre-nup before he died so that she wouldn't get his stuff...pretty douchey in my book...(not that I have to worry about that..my ex-wives will be too busy running away from my debts...;))

Andrew Longman
06-02-10, 10:49 AM
Surprised no one yet recalled his Nike ads:

scary but classic. Bad things that make your eyes go all crazy. :gomer:
jJO_4w_4ziE
HU8gvF6WCIk
G_8uql9-1IA
dB4rsn8rJYM

Dando bite me :)

dando
06-02-10, 10:52 AM
Dando bite me :)

Glad Trev taught the old man how to embed a video. :gomer: :D

And yes, I completely forgot about those ads. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Michaelhatesfans
06-02-10, 12:27 PM
Surprised no one yet recalled his Nike ads:

Funny, because those ads are always the first thing I think of when someone mentions Hopper.

My poor kids have endured years of, "If you don't clean your room... bad things, man, bad things..."
Maybe I should finally show them the clip and let them in on the joke.:laugh:

nrc
06-02-10, 07:12 PM
Tried to divorce his wife to trigger the pre-nup before he died so that she wouldn't get his stuff...pretty douchey in my book...(not that I have to worry about that..my ex-wives will be too busy running away from my debts...;))

Given that he's gone through a string of wives through his life I'm not sure that qualifies as an escalation.

Gnam
06-03-10, 01:23 AM
He was good in the great movies, and great in the bad ones. Waterworld, Speed, Flashback...

NSFW. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQOwigPw9Cs&feature=related

Man, there were a lot of bad ones... :rofl:
q-FnDYuENW4

TravelGal
07-05-10, 05:00 PM
CELEBRATE THE LIFE AND ART OF DENNIS HOPPER

SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2010, 8–11pm
THE GEFFEN CONTEMPORARY AT MOCA
152 NORTH CENTRAL AVENUE, LOS ANGELES, CA 90013

Join MOCA and the Southern California community for a special tribute to acclaimed actor, film director, and artist Dennis Hopper at the premier of Dennis Hopper Double Standard. Curated by Julian Schnabel, Dennis Hopper Double Standard is the first American museum survey exhibition to showcase the remarkable body of work Hopper produced in a formidable career spanning over half a century.

Special DJ set by Eddie Ruscha

FREE FOR MOCA MEMBERS*
$10 general admission at the door, no student/senior discounts
Cash bar. Self-parking in surrounding lots.

Exhibit opens July 11. Includes artwork from the last six decades, from an abstract 1955 painting to his 1960s photographs of soon-to-be-famous friends like Andy Warhol to so-called graffiti paintings of the 1980s.

Hopper was very involved with the selection and approval of all the art contained in the show and even approval of the press releases and print advertisements.

Napoleon
07-06-10, 01:28 PM
The current Rolling Stone, the one with Lady Gaga on it that has gotten a lot of media attention for another article that is in it, has a pretty interesting story on him.