PDA

View Full Version : AAPL vs. GOOG vs. MSFT

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

TravelGal
07-22-15, 02:37 PM
It won't install until you say so.

As long as I CAN say so. I'll be glad to have the option.

What a pain. The only good part is that TravelGuy did the same thing. I'll let him be the guinea pig. >evil grin<

Insomniac
07-22-15, 03:08 PM
But it's not just Windows PCs vs. Macs. It's the whole universe of devices that people are using instead of or in addition to their traditional PCs and laptops - smart phones, tablets, chromebooks, consoles, etc. The younger people are the less likely they are to feel the need to go to a traditional PC or laptop to perform a task.

Even if traditional PC sales don't continue to decline, Microsoft's dominant market share is in a segment that will see a smaller and smaller share of actual use going forward. They absolutely must convert that existing market share to a release that can give them leverage into those other devices. They're giving away these upgrades in an effort to accomplish that.

It mostly is in the desktop/laptop world. For the other devices you're talking about, from MSFT's perspective, those may be Windows 10, but they are a different business case. It's not Windows 10 vs. Sony's OS on consoles. It gets murky on phones/tablets whether it's the device or OS, but to me it seems like if they want OS share, the device has to win first. That's how Samsung competed with Apple, they were innovating on hardware and software. Windows 10 isn't going to solve their market share problem by itself, whether they give it away for free or not. They've pretty much been giving away Windows 8.1 for free on all those devices as their market share shrunk.

WickerBill
07-23-15, 07:10 AM
Let's be brutally honest: Microsoft's revenue stream is dominated by server platforms and Office. With Office, there is no viable competitor. Office sold Windows for years, but when mobile and consumerization proved to be a massive source of income, Office wasn't what sold those devices, and not surprisingly, Microsoft failed badly.

So Nadella's "Office Everywhere" strategy - delivering fully functional Office products to nearly any OS - seems very wise to me. Windows (desktop and mobile - not server) suddenly becomes an albatross if you are counting on it for revenue, while making a good quality version of Office for every device and OS helps to ensure the market for an Office alternative stays very small.

cameraman
07-23-15, 04:58 PM
Let's be brutally honest: Microsoft's revenue stream is dominated by server platforms and Office. With Office, there is no viable competitor. Office sold Windows for years, but when mobile and consumerization proved to be a massive source of income, Office wasn't what sold those devices, and not surprisingly, Microsoft failed badly.

So Nadella's "Office Everywhere" strategy - delivering fully functional Office products to nearly any OS - seems very wise to me. Windows (desktop and mobile - not server) suddenly becomes an albatross if you are counting on it for revenue, while making a good quality version of Office for every device and OS helps to ensure the market for an Office alternative stays very small.

"delivering fully functional Office products to nearly any OS" Oh good luck with that, it has been 20 some odd years now and the still haven't got the Mac version correct.:irked:

SteveH
07-29-15, 11:07 AM
Beware
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Elmo T
07-29-15, 02:30 PM
Beware
http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/windows-10-shares-your-wi-fi-with-contacts/

Does anyone actually vet these "upgrades"? Who asked for this?

WickerBill
07-29-15, 02:58 PM
(inhales on a J) Man...

Just everyone share their wifi openly, man.... it isn't that hard, everyone would get what they want, man!

-- Jeff Lebowski

Insomniac
07-29-15, 03:25 PM
(inhales on a J) Man...

Just everyone share their wifi openly, man.... it isn't that hard, everyone would get what they want, man!

-- Jeff Lebowski

Now anyone in your contacts could've shared those MP3s on Napster. ;)

SteveH
07-29-15, 05:43 PM
PSA: Windows 10 Isn't a Risk-Free Upgrade (http://reviews.gizmodo.com/psa-windows-10-isnt-a-risk-free-upgrade-1720936691)

and I'm waiting for a few months....

SteveH
07-30-15, 08:18 PM
Windows 10 Uses Your Bandwidth to Distribute Updates, Disable It Here
http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469

SteveH
07-30-15, 09:17 PM
More on Wi-Fi sense
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technology/windows10-wifi-sense/index.html

SteveH
08-02-15, 04:55 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLPvxyvUMAAJfeP.jpg

:rofl:

dando
08-09-15, 09:43 PM
Haven't been able to focus as much as I like on techie stuff of late, but yesterday I got turned on to Google Now. Wow. It's basically GOOG's version of Siri on steroids and syncs quite nicely with my Moto 360. Obviously there are differences between Google Now/Moto 360 and iOS/Apple Watch, but they aren't vastly different. In short, GOOG is right there with Apple if noy slightly ahead now. Tim Cook better have some magic in the closet.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-use-google-now/

chop456
08-10-15, 02:45 AM
Haven't been able to focus as much as I like on techie stuff of late, but yesterday I got turned on to Google Now. Wow. It's basically GOOG's version of Siri on steroids and syncs quite nicely with my Moto 360. Obviously there are differences between Google Now/Moto 360 and iOS/Apple Watch, but they aren't vastly different. In short, GOOG is right there with Apple if noy slightly ahead now. Tim Cook better have some magic in the closet.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-use-google-now/

I find some parts of it a bit creepy. Like when it reminds me where I parked without asking. I understand how it knows, it's just a little, uh, big brotherish. :gomer:

dando
08-10-15, 07:04 AM
I find some parts of it a bit creepy. Like when it reminds me where I parked without asking. I understand how it knows, it's just a little, uh, big brotherish. :gomer:

You do realize Google just tracked that post.... :gomer:

dando
08-10-15, 08:51 AM
Ruh Roh...it's starting to learn about me and my likes. Plus, I got my first parking location notification. I stuck a toe in from using Nova Launcher on Fri, but jumped in feet first on Sat, so it's only been a few days so far. Love the looks I get when peeps see me talking to my watch. :D

nrc
08-10-15, 09:26 AM
I considered trying it when I got my Droid Mini but I decided I didn't like the idea of giving Google quite that much information. Sort of like Amazon Echo and the whole "listening all the time" thing.

TravelGal
08-10-15, 02:00 PM
I considered trying it when I got my Droid Mini but I decided I didn't like the idea of giving Google quite that much information. Sort of like Amazon Echo and the whole "listening all the time" thing.

Ditto. I admit to being a dinosaur but I don't give up my location to any device nor do I post beautiful Facebook pictures while I'm away. Catch ya when I'm back for sure but I'd just as soon you don't know when I'm sailing the Aegean. ;)

TKGAngel
08-10-15, 05:40 PM
Google forms holding company called Alphabet to split out what it can sell ads on from other stuff.

http://adage.com/article/digital/google-birth-parent-company-alphabet/299912/

WickerBill
09-09-15, 01:38 PM
Apparently Apple just introduced the Microsoft Surface.

"If you see a stylus, they blew it." - Steve Jobs

789 (year: 2007)

cameraman
09-09-15, 02:04 PM
Yeah that is more like the first iOS computer. It is really blurring the boundary between iPad and MacBook.

Jeebus it has a 2732x2048 display, which is a higher resolution than the 15-inch MacBook Pro with retina display.

indyfan31
09-09-15, 03:28 PM

. . . and introduced by Microsoft VP Kirk Koenigsbauer. :saywhat:

Insomniac
09-09-15, 08:40 PM

Pfft. It's the Apple Pencil and it's $100. That ain't a stylus.

dando
09-09-15, 09:48 PM
Pfft. It's the Apple Pencil and it's $100. That ain't a stylus.

Rumours about a larger iPad have been circulating since last year and Apple has finally revealed it's giant device at an event in California.

Called the iPad Pro, the tablet has a 12.9-inch display with 5.6 million pixels, meaning it has more pixels than a 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

However, Apple set tongues wagging with a controversial accessory -a $100 Apple 'Pencil' stylus - a tool Steve Jobs once described as 'yuck' and declared that 'nobody would want.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3228188/Steve-Jobs-NOT-approve-Apple-unveils-monster-iPad-Pro-stylus-late-founder-said-wants.html#ixzz3lIQqoaVw

chop456
09-10-15, 04:15 AM
I'm glad it's stylus-oriented. I've been sitting here starting at all these rubber-tipped promotional pens I've accumulated over the years wondering what to do with them. Now they can fulfill their destiny. :thumbup:

dando
09-10-15, 10:11 AM
I'm glad it's stylus-oriented. I've been sitting here starting at all these rubber-tipped promotional pens I've accumulated over the years wondering what to do with them. Now they can fulfill their destiny. :thumbup:

Chopsticks. :D

nrc
09-10-15, 01:45 PM
Microsoft is starting to look like that high school bully that comes to the reunion and now wants to be everybody's friend.

dando
01-21-16, 10:24 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-22/google-paid-apple-1-billion-to-keep-search-bar-on-iphone

:saywhat:

SteveH
02-02-16, 06:37 PM
Ready or not, here comes Windows 10
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/02/ready-or-not-here-comes-windows-10/

With about six months left on Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade promotion, Redmond is stepping up its efforts to get Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users to upgrade to its newest operating system.

As part of a larger home PC upgrade project I'm now running 10 and I like it. Seems solid, no issues noted so far. However, I also need to upgrade to a newer release of MS Office. And that's where MS's new business plan gets a little expensive, for me. I would prefer to upgrade to the bundle that includes Outlook. However Office 365 Personal is $69.99 plus $6.99/month. So I'm considering Office Home for $149.99 with no monthly charges but that does not include Outlook. Would need a good and preferably free email client. I'm considering this http://www.emclient.com/ Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Whatever I decide on must be able to import a .pst file from my previous install.

cameraman
02-03-16, 01:57 AM
I hate this garbage. The analyses software packages I use operate on Windows 7 PERIOD.

Even the the manufacturers ever get around to upgrading it I don't have >$10K to spend on software that works just fine on Windows 7.

It's like the three XP machines that I have disconnected from the internet but are still running equipment everyday.

Apple is just as bad with their constant OS changes. At least all the Mac stuff I run is actually Unix and the fine folks at Xquartz.org are keeping it alive.

But this is just ridiculous, just think how much scientific data has been lost forever as it sits decaying on Iomega removable media or tapes or etc.

We can still read 5000 year old cuniform tablets documenting Babylonian wheat trades but can't bring up experimental data that is 15 years old.:flaming:

gjc2
02-03-16, 07:18 AM
I hate this garbage.

So do I.

Windows 7 will continue to have extended support until January 2020

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Insomniac
02-03-16, 10:30 AM
Google passed Apple as the most valued company in the world on Monday.

TravelGal
02-03-16, 02:00 PM
Even the lower-tech world of the travel agent has been ensnared. I upgraded to Windows 10 and find that a major, national search engine only works on 7. It wouldn't be so bad if that search engine hadn't been upgraded in December 2015. Apparently the wizards doing the upgrade didn't feel the need to include "edge" the new MS browser. :saywhat: Edit: Of course it doesn't work on Chrome or Firefox either.

At least I still have a laptop with 7 so I'm not completely hung out to dry but others are not so lucky.

Gnam
02-04-16, 06:53 PM
Recently, I heard a crazy story. All the Walmart stores are designed by one company in Arkansas. There is not a single computer in the entire office. All the plans and steel shop drawings are done on drafting tables with pencil and paper. When the job is done, everything is boxed up and stored in a huge shed behind the office.

I trust the guy who told me, but it sounds too crazy to be true.

Insomniac
02-05-16, 10:46 AM
Recently, I heard a crazy story. All the Walmart stores are designed by one company in Arkansas. There is not a single computer in the entire office. All the plans and steel shop drawings are done on drafting tables with pencil and paper. When the job is done, everything is boxed up and stored in a huge shed behind the office.

Seems reasonable for 4 walls and a roof. :)

cameraman
02-05-16, 07:39 PM

Lowest bid is lowest bid.

SteveH
02-17-16, 11:46 PM
Pentagon orders Windows 10 to be installed on all 4 million of its PCs

(http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/17/technology/windows-10-pentagon/)

Microsoft (MSFT, Tech30) announced Wednesday that it just scored its biggest Windows 10 customer yet. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter has ordered all 4 million of the Pentagon's PCs to be upgraded to Windows 10 within the next 12 months.

WickerBill
02-18-16, 07:53 AM
Apple says "no" to the US Government. Interesting and important read: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Elmo T
02-18-16, 09:51 AM
Apple says "no" to the US Government. Interesting and important read: http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

I keep thinking - well they have a warrant - so they should be allowed to look. And they can look. Have at the phone all they want.

What is the responsibility of a third party to be forced to facilitate that legal search? Could the government force a lock smith - an unrelated third party - to pick the lock securing the property to which they have a legal approved search warrant? Or maybe a better example, could they compel the manufacturer of said lock to open it for them?

Granted that is an oversimplification.

Interesting stuff.

SteveH
02-18-16, 10:30 AM
JOHN MCAFEE: I'll decrypt the San Bernardino phone for free so Apple doesn't need to place a back door on its product (http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mcafee-ill-decrypt-san-bernardino-phone-for-free-2016-2)

So here is my offer to the FBI. I will, for free, decrypt the information on the San Bernardino phone, with my team. We will primarily use social engineering and it will take us three weeks. If you accept my offer, then you will not need to ask Apple to place a back door in their product, which will be the beginning of the end of America.

Problem solved :gomer:

Insomniac
02-18-16, 11:00 AM
I was surprised that there wasn't an alternative method to get at it initially. Reading more, there seems like there should be a way, but I think there is still some security information that is not in the public domain like the memory chips have an anti-tamper mechanism.

It's a very interesting conundrum IMO. The company I worked for developed an application that was able to post encrypted messages on twitter. They could've been right out there in the public or private or DM. There was no backdoor. We removed it from the App/Play stores during 2015, mostly because we lost interest in maintaining it and as time went on the App showed its age so it wasn't a good "advertising" platform for our work. I was never a fan of it because my first thought was we were enabling criminals to communicate very securely. I can say that there were a lot of people relieved when we heard the Paris attackers were using something like that and it wasn't our product. It's a double edged sword. So unless this whole Apple suit is a sham to cover up the fact that the security of the devices has already been broken, this is going to be an interesting fight.

Napoleon
02-18-16, 11:06 AM
What is the responsibility of a third party to be forced to facilitate that legal search? Could the government force a lock smith - an unrelated third party - to pick the lock securing the property to which they have a legal approved search warrant? Or maybe a better example, could they compel the manufacturer of said lock to open it for them?

Granted that is an oversimplification.

From what I read, not much. To the extent it is an over simplification its more like they are asking the locksmith to give them the ability to unlock every lock in town, not just the one.

God bless Apple. There should not be built into OSs some intentional weakness that a hacker can use.

What really frost me about this whole subject is the stunning dishonestly of the government. First there are the arguments they have used in support of the backdoor, which I am going to set to the side to address the dishonestly they have used in presenting to the public what they are up to.

They have been seeking a back door for some time and have meet enormous resistance, so in October of last year they stated they would not seek a back door (just to be accurate, on 10/8/15 James Comey stated before Congress "The administration has decided not to seek a legislative remedy now."). So a few months later and now they are trying an end around by getting some Magistrate (not even an Article 3 judge) to issue an order forcing Apple to create what is in effect a backdoor for their products. And then Josh Earnest has the gall yesterday to stand up in front of the White House press and lie through his teeth by saying this just applied to one phone. Bull.

I don't know if they figured Apple would just go along and pretend they didn't realize what they were up to or what, but if Apple stands firm that may pretty much determine whose phone I buy.

Napoleon
02-18-16, 11:19 AM
I was surprised that there wasn't an alternative method to get at it initially. Reading more, there seems like there should be a way, but I think there is still some security information that is not in the public domain like the memory chips have an anti-tamper mechanism.

The way I understand it the lock on there devises is generated using 3 things, a number that is hard wired in the device (in theory Apple has it), your password, and a random number that is generated by the device. The way it is set up it is all but impossible for anyone to actually have access to all 3. So that leaves you with using brute force computing to come up with the number. I guess the Apple devices (at least the 5s) have simple passcodes which would make it easy to use brute force computing to figure out the passcode, so Apples solution is to brick the phone after 10 unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. The way I understand it is they want Apple to block the phone from bricking so they can figure the code to unlock it using brute force computing.

Insomniac
02-18-16, 03:51 PM
The way I understand it the lock on there devises is generated using 3 things, a number that is hard wired in the device (in theory Apple has it), your password, and a random number that is generated by the device. The way it is set up it is all but impossible for anyone to actually have access to all 3. So that leaves you with using brute force computing to come up with the number. I guess the Apple devices (at least the 5s) have simple passcodes which would make it easy to use brute force computing to figure out the passcode, so Apples solution is to brick the phone after 10 unsuccessful attempts to unlock it. The way I understand it is they want Apple to block the phone from bricking so they can figure the code to unlock it using brute force computing.

My initial thinking was just replicate the flash memory and if it gets wiped, restore it. But reading more today, it's a lot smarter/elegant, but not bulletproof.

Simplified: There is a UID that is stored in a way it can't be read by software. It is then combined with the passcode to create the decryption key for data stored on the device. If the device is set up to erase after X failed attempts, that decryption key is erased while all the contents remain. Now you have to brute force AES 256 to decrypt the data instead of a passcode.

Apple has publicly stated the UID is set during manufacturing and is not kept by any supplier or Apple.

I think the FBI could mill the chip and get the UID or decryption key. :)

Insomniac
02-18-16, 03:59 PM
From what I read, not much. To the extent it is an over simplification its more like they are asking the locksmith to give them the ability to unlock every lock in town, not just the one.

God bless Apple. There should not be built into OSs some intentional weakness that a hacker can use.

What really frost me about this whole subject is the stunning dishonestly of the government. First there are the arguments they have used in support of the backdoor, which I am going to set to the side to address the dishonestly they have used in presenting to the public what they are up to.

They have been seeking a back door for some time and have meet enormous resistance, so in October of last year they stated they would not seek a back door (just to be accurate, on 10/8/15 James Comey stated before Congress "The administration has decided not to seek a legislative remedy now."). So a few months later and now they are trying an end around by getting some Magistrate (not even an Article 3 judge) to issue an order forcing Apple to create what is in effect a backdoor for their products. And then Josh Earnest has the gall yesterday to stand up in front of the White House press and lie through his teeth by saying this just applied to one phone. Bull.

I don't know if they figured Apple would just go along and pretend they didn't realize what they were up to or what, but if Apple stands firm that may pretty much determine whose phone I buy.

I think one problem is their statements about seeking a legislative backdoor and what they are asking for now are really different. What they are asking for now is for Apple to remove restrictions that potentially block a brute force attack on the passcode. A backdoor would simply allow access to the device using that backdoor. They are asking for Apple's help to hack the device.

The request from the FBI is for the one phone. They would even allow Apple to control the phone and the software outside of the government's possession.

2. The SIF will be loaded on the SUBJECT DEVICE at either a government facility, or alternatively, at an Apple facility; if the latter, Apple shall provide the government with remote access to the SUBJECT DEVICE through a computer allowed the government to conduct passcode recovery analysis.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2714001/SB-Shooter-Order-Compelling-Apple-Asst-iPhone.pdf

Since they have in the past been able to assist with unlocking phones with older versions of iOS, I think the big problem here is once they make these tools/methods, the requests will keep flowing to assist with more and then next up is Google, Facebook, Microsoft... Help us exploit your most vulnerable area of security. Then what happens when they close that/make it harder in the next update?

This seems like a true constitutional foundation issue. That oft used quote about security and liberty, blah blah seems appropriate here.

SteveH
02-18-16, 10:22 PM
Apple is wrong. Your iPhone is not a black box. (https://medium.com/@BlairReeves/apple-is-wrong-your-iphone-is-not-a-black-box-93c09695fa98#.91chau98r)

But bear in mind: at no period in American history has there ever been any personal information, let alone any whole class of information, that was ever considered wholly immune to government access. The government has been wiretapping for a century. The FBI accessed bank records to catch mobsters in the 30s. Location tracking — the old-fashioned way, in person — is as old as government itself.

Thought provoking article

chop456
02-19-16, 07:17 AM
Just break in in half and dump out what you need. Duh.

SteveH
02-20-16, 12:11 AM
San Bernardino Shooter's iCloud Password Changed While iPhone was in Government Possession (http://abcnews.go.com/US/san-bernardino-shooters-apple-id-passcode-changed-government/story?id=37066070)

cameraman
02-20-16, 12:17 AM
Okay I'm confused. How do you reset an iPhone's password without giving it a new one? And wtf was that IT person thinking?

Insomniac
02-20-16, 10:53 AM
Okay I'm confused. How do you reset an iPhone's password without giving it a new one? And wtf was that IT person thinking?

I assume they did give it a new one which then meant the one stored in the phone would no longer work. Also interesting that the FBI let the crime scene go so quickly in retrospect.

SteveH
02-20-16, 11:42 AM
A Technical Perspective on the Apple iPhone Case (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/technical-perspective-apple-iphone-case)

SteveH
02-20-16, 02:01 PM
Apple vs. FBI: Here's everything you need to know (FAQ)
(http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-iphone-fbi-backdoor-what-you-need-to-know-faq/)

SteveH
02-20-16, 11:23 PM
San Bernardino County tweets it reset terrorist’s iCloud password with FBI
(http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20160219/san-bernardino-county-tweets-it-reset-terrorists-icloud-password-with-fbi)

Insomniac
02-27-16, 11:31 AM
I thought about another option: Apple can restore the original iCloud password from their backup and see if the phone syncs. It still won't get them access to stuff not in iCloud, but at least might be something.

Edit--That might not work now if there is a required minimum time for it to sync without unlocking.

SteveH
03-03-16, 09:53 PM
Google Is Building a Big, Mysterious Radio Transmitter in the Desert (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/infrastructure/a19750/google-is-building-a-big-mysterious-radio-transmitter-in-the-desert/)

nrc
03-07-16, 07:32 PM
World Domination, phase 7B:

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03/07/announcing-sql-server-on-linux/

https://mscorp.blob.core.windows.net/mscorpmedia/2016/03/SQL-Loves-Linux_2_Twitter-002-640x358.png

WickerBill
03-07-16, 09:12 PM
"Hello Mr. Ellison? We've almost completely devalued our OS in an attempt to create new revenue streams for our platforms. About that lack of competition you've had..."

dando
03-07-16, 09:35 PM
nrc having issues with Win 95...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ucCxtgN6sc

:gomer: :p

nrc
03-08-16, 10:09 AM
Those kids need to get off my lawn.

dando
03-08-16, 01:32 PM
Those kids need to get off my lawn.

They should try my Timex Sinclair with a cassette tape 'drive' or my Commodore 64. :)

datachicane
03-08-16, 02:22 PM
They should try my Timex Sinclair with a cassette tape 'drive' or my Commodore 64. :)

Heh. I had one of those. Still break out my Sharp PC-4641 every once in a while, surprisingly good performance. Never did fill up that cavernous 40mb hard drive (hard drive!) despite countless hours downloading random apps from BBSs. Actually pretty good performance on the business apps, which really haven't changed that much. I loaded Windows 1.1 for fun, couldn't believe that crap would ever catch on. Price tag on this bad boy in 1986, with optional internal 2400b modem and externally accessible CGA vidcard, was $8800. I felt sorry for the original owner when I paid him $500 for it four years later. For years I had his original purchase receipt framed in my office as a cautionary tale.

http://media.tumblr.com/eb90ba17f90c29cbaab652f99d19035c/tumblr_inline_mfi48hdALd1rrx1fo.jpg

As a teenager in the early '80s the family business gave us an in with a number prominent Japanese electronics manufacturers. In 1980 or so, before PC clones were even a thing, I had prototype PC clones by Canon, Sanyo, Sharp, and a few others which never reached the U.S. market on 'loan' for a year or two at a crack. Young datachicane had no idea how tech-spoiled he was.

dando
03-08-16, 04:02 PM
Heh. I had one of those. Still break out my Sharp PC-4641 every once in a while, surprisingly good performance. Never did fill up that cavernous 40mb hard drive (hard drive!) despite countless hours downloading random apps from BBSs. Actually pretty good performance on the business apps, which really haven't changed that much. I loaded Windows 1.1 for fun, couldn't believe that crap would ever catch on. Price tag on this bad boy in 1986, with optional internal 2400b modem and externally accessible CGA vidcard, was $8800. I felt sorry for the original owner when I paid him $500 for it four years later. For years I had his original purchase receipt framed in my office as a cautionary tale.

http://media.tumblr.com/eb90ba17f90c29cbaab652f99d19035c/tumblr_inline_mfi48hdALd1rrx1fo.jpg

As a teenager in the early '80s the family business gave us an in with a number prominent Japanese electronics manufacturers. In 1980 or so, before PC clones were even a thing, I had prototype PC clones by Canon, Sanyo, Sharp, and a few others which never reached the U.S. market on 'loan' for a year or two at a crack. Young datachicane had no idea how tech-spoiled he was.

No Atari or Amiga? ;) I lusted after the Atari and we had an Amiga store here, but I settled on the Commodore PC clone and used QLink. Former AOL...CompuServe was too expensive, and P* was silly, but I ended spending 23 years there. :)

datachicane
03-08-16, 04:24 PM
No Atari or Amiga? ;) I lusted after the Atari and we had an Amiga store here, but I settled on the Commodore PC clone and used QLink. Former AOL...CompuServe was too expensive, and P* was silly, but I ended spending 23 years there. :)

Bought the Sears-branded Atari 2600 when it first came out, and was immediately grateful I didn't buy it elsewhere after having four joysticks (and eventually the entire console) replaced in the first year or so. I eventually built my own indestructible joysticks from plastic Easter eggs, modeling clay, and mercury tilt switches, which survive to this day. I was singularly unimpressed when the Atari 400 and 800 came out, one of each lived with me for a while for reasons I can't recall.

I had friends that were big Amiga junkies, had dogfight LAN parties at their place in the late '80s-early '90s, easily 5-10 years ahead of what PCs could do with graphics with basically no horsepower.

No AOL or CompuServe for me. I was a BBS junkie, first direct dial, and eventually through the local community college BBS which set me back $5/30 hrs, which was smoking in the days of offline readers, etc. At some point IIRC in the late '80s-early '90s I was part of a pilot for a Wildcat! (remember those guys?) product which was basically a server-hosted browser for WWW access. Free unlimited internet had arrived at young datachicane's house, and his most productive days were largely behind him.

G.
03-09-16, 03:06 PM
Bunch of rich bast***s, livin' large in mom's basement. :flaming:

I had a paper route just so that I could eat protein occasionally.

:cry:

:p

SteveH
03-09-16, 11:17 PM
Internet Explorer security patch includes an ad-generator for upgrading to Windows 10 (http://www.winbeta.org/news/internet-explorer-security-patch-includes-ad-generator-upgrading-windows-10)

nissan gtp
03-10-16, 06:43 PM
Internet Explorer security patch includes an ad-generator for upgrading to Windows 10 (http://www.winbeta.org/news/internet-explorer-security-patch-includes-ad-generator-upgrading-windows-10)

perfectly ethical :\

dando
03-29-16, 04:33 PM
Apple: You Got Hack...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/29/did-the-fbi-just-unleash-a-hacker-army-on-apple.html

:thumbup:

SteveH
03-29-16, 04:47 PM
Apple: You Got Hack...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/29/did-the-fbi-just-unleash-a-hacker-army-on-apple.html

:thumbup:

It appears that it 'only' cost the FBI $15K for the hack. Which I think is cheap. Considering how much legal action would have cost with no guarantee of a win.

This Is How Much FBI Is Paying to Cellebrite to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/03/this-is-how-much-fbi-is-paying-to-cellebrite-to-unlock-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone.html)

dando
03-29-16, 06:58 PM
It appears that it 'only' cost the FBI $15K for the hack. Which I think is cheap. Considering how much legal action would have cost with no guarantee of a win.

This Is How Much FBI Is Paying to Cellebrite to Unlock San Bernardino Shooter’s iPhone (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/03/this-is-how-much-fbi-is-paying-to-cellebrite-to-unlock-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone.html)

Ya want access to my Android GS3? Just swipe right to see my ~1 GB pics of the DDs, and ~100 Angry Bird and racing games for the DDs. Oh, and my grocery list. :gomer: ;)

SteveH
03-31-16, 09:51 AM
Microsoft puts Windows Phone on hold (http://www.pcworld.com/article/3049945/windows-phone-os/microsoft-puts-windows-phone-on-hold.html)

I had completely forgotten that there was the Lumia

dando
03-31-16, 03:26 PM
Microsoft puts Windows Phone on hold (http://www.pcworld.com/article/3049945/windows-phone-os/microsoft-puts-windows-phone-on-hold.html)

I had completely forgotten that there was the Lumia

It actually received decent reviews, but yer swimming up stream trying to play catchup with Apple and Sammy/LG. The GS7 makes me drool.

SteveH
04-12-16, 10:02 PM
Pitendo (http://www.pi-tendo.com)

datachicane
04-13-16, 11:17 AM
Pitendo (http://www.pi-tendo.com)

There's something wrong when the case costs more than the hardware inside. How about this:

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/raspberry-pi-case-mod.jpg

Bringing the thread full circle:

http://media.gadgetsin.com/2014/05/the_3d_printed_apple_ii_raspberry_pi_case_2.jpg

G.
04-13-16, 02:22 PM
There's something wrong when the case costs more than the hardware inside. How about this:

Looks like he printed it, so you are paying for the copyright viola- err, I mean the parody.

Where do you get a Pi3 for under $39?

dando
04-13-16, 03:03 PM
Looks like he printed it, so you are paying for the copyright viola- err, I mean the parody.

G. for you I suggest getting an Apple Watch to play Pong.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/17/pong-comes-to-the-apple-watch/

:gomer: ;)

datachicane
04-13-16, 03:51 PM

Element14, MCM, etc., have them @ $35.

I've bought the last couple from Chicago Electronic Distributors @ $39.95 for a Pi3, and they stock a bunch of Adafruit goodies as well. At my door in Oregon in two days :thumbup:

nrc
04-15-16, 12:54 AM
New Kindle Oasis is $289.99. $310 if you don't want the ads. Now so thin that you can't hold it and includes a solar charging cover. Seems.. excessive.

I like the idea of an e-ink reader but I almost always have a phone or tablet with me that can access the same content. Maybe if I would read outside more the $80 cheapo model would be worthwhile.

dando
04-15-16, 02:07 AM
New Kindle Oasis is $289.99. $310 if you don't want the ads. Now so thin that you can't hold it and includes a solar charging cover. Seems.. excessive.

I like the idea of an e-ink reader but I almost always have a phone or tablet with me that can access the same content. Maybe if I would read outside more the $80 cheapo model would be worthwhile.

Might as well get a phablet. The Sammy J3 w/5" is more than enough for me. Now I just need to adjust to Lollipop. :irked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eup9-dOTI

:gomer:

dando
04-24-16, 09:46 PM
Nice. :shakehead:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-04-24/inside-one-of-the-world-s-most-secretive-iphone-factories

SteveH
05-06-16, 07:59 AM
Microsoft Re-Enables KB3035583 on Windows 7 to Force Windows 10 Upgrade

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-re-enables-kb3035583-on-windows-7-to-force-windows-10-upgrade-503702.shtml#ixzz47sO3xuNN

SteveH
05-06-16, 09:11 AM
As free upgrade nears its end, Windows 10 passes 300 million users (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-10-now-on-300m-systems-microsoft-says-free-upgrade-ends-soon/)

dando
05-06-16, 11:18 AM
As free upgrade nears its end, Windows 10 passes 300 million users (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-10-now-on-300m-systems-microsoft-says-free-upgrade-ends-soon/)

But Chrome passed IE as the numero uno browser of choice. :thumbup:

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-google-chrome-internet-explorer-browser.html

SteveH
05-06-16, 05:06 PM
But Chrome passed IE as the numero uno browser of choice. :thumbup:

http://phys.org/news/2016-05-google-chrome-internet-explorer-browser.html

from the article...

Microsoft last year replaced Internet Explorer with a new browser, Microsoft Edge, for its new Windows 10 operating system.

Chrome passing IE may have more to do with the above than increase in Chrome's market share.

Insomniac
05-07-16, 01:44 PM
from the article...

Chrome passing IE may have more to do with the above than increase in Chrome's market share.

I thought that, but if you look at the stats they used (https://www.netmarketshare.com/), they don't list Edge and Other is 0.42%. I'd assume Edge is included with IE.

TravelGal
05-07-16, 06:55 PM
I thought that, but if you look at the stats they used (https://www.netmarketshare.com/), they don't list Edge and Other is 0.42%. I'd assume Edge is included with IE.

The important thing for me is that IE is included with Edge, not the other way around. So many travel websites only work properly with IE. That means they do not work properly when opened by anything but IE. Not Chrome, not Firefox, not Edge, not anything. It took me several weeks to realize you can switch from Edge to IE from the toolbar once a site is opened. During those weeks, I had no access to features or whole sites and their IT departments did not know the answer either. Color me chuffed for figuring it out. :D

Insomniac
05-07-16, 07:56 PM
The important thing for me is that IE is included with Edge, not the other way around. So many travel websites only work properly with IE. That means they do not work properly when opened by anything but IE. Not Chrome, not Firefox, not Edge, not anything. It took me several weeks to realize you can switch from Edge to IE from the toolbar once a site is opened. During those weeks, I had no access to features or whole sites and their IT departments did not know the answer either. Color me chuffed for figuring it out. :D

That must suck for any travel agents with a Mac. :)

dando
05-23-16, 08:58 PM
Apple puckers...

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-project-ara-hands-on-rafa-camargo-interview-modular-phones/

SteveH
05-24-16, 08:21 PM
Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick' (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221)

Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification.

nrc
05-25-16, 12:10 AM
Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick' (http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36367221)

Common trick for infecting your PC with a virus.

nissan gtp
05-25-16, 08:54 AM
does Win10 include a free U2 album?

dando
05-25-16, 10:13 AM
does Win10 include a free U2 album?

Nope. Justin Bieber. :gomer:

gjc2
05-25-16, 06:54 PM
I did click on the popup that opened another window asking you schedule the upgrade; you can just click that window off.

I ultimately did do the upgrade from 7 Professional to 10; it hasn’t been much of a learning curve.

Warning, Warning, Warning . . . Windows 10 does not include solitaire!!

dando
05-25-16, 07:31 PM
I pgrade from 7 Professional to 10; it hasn’t been much of a learning curve.

Warning, Warning, Warning . . . Windows 10 does not include solitaire!!

Meh. I hate playing alone anyways. ;)

SteveH
05-26-16, 09:36 AM
Google to bring official Android support to the Raspberry Pi 3 (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/google-to-bring-official-android-support-to-the-raspberry-pi-3/)

The Raspberry Pi 3 is not hurting for operating system choices. The tiny ARM computer is supported by several Linux distributions and even has a version of Windows 10 IoT core available. Now, it looks like the Pi is about to get official support for one of the most popular operating systems out there: Android. In Google's Android Open Source Project (AOSP) repository, a new device tree recently popped up for the Raspberry Pi 3.

SteveH
06-13-16, 09:04 AM
Microsoft to buy LinkedIn for $26.2 billion; LNKD shares jump 48% (http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/13/)

WickerBill
06-13-16, 09:11 AM
What? I mean... what?

Sure they'll gain tremendous networking and may get some big business out of it. But greater than 26b? What?!

Tifosi24
06-13-16, 09:54 AM
What? I mean... what?

Sure they'll gain tremendous networking and may get some big business out of it. But greater than 26b? What?!

That was my exact response. Linkedin is nice and all, but it's not worth $26 billion. Another poor business decision by Microsoft.

WickerBill
06-13-16, 11:40 AM
Alright, since this type of analysis is my job, I've been reading and reading on this all morning. Apparently MS thinks they can help you get your job done, Clippy fashion, by reading what you're doing in Office and suggesting people from LinkedIn to help.

Quote:
"A digital assistant that’s predictive – Today Cortana knows about you, your organization and about the world. In the future, Cortana will also know your entire professional network to connect dots on your behalf so you stay one step ahead."

To which I immediately think:

https://designshack.net/wp-content/uploads/decisions-3.jpg

Insomniac
06-13-16, 11:50 AM
LinkedIn robbed Microsoft. As a stockholder, I'm not happy. I know they have piles of cash, but it could've been better spent on R&D. LinkedIn is not worth more than $10B.

dando
06-13-16, 12:12 PM
Scratches head...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. :saywhat: An act of desperation to keep up with the Joneses?