PDA

View Full Version : AAPL vs. GOOG vs. MSFT

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Ankf00
02-21-11, 01:11 PM
You've got mail! :D

I think local HDD's will remain, but more of a home server setup for local HD movie streaming and the like

re: Dell Streak demo, Round Rock SWAT got called in :laugh:

is the Finn still there?

Insomniac
02-21-11, 01:44 PM
going back to nrc's last post, HP's more focused on trying to hack away at RIM market share, business users are an easier game for HP with their position in the IT market, offer webOS products that are integrated with all their other services, and that is exactly what Dell and HP aim to do, offer complete services & hardware for enterprise needs.

iphone is a great study in proper market research, iphone was never designed to compete w/ RIM's target market, all the comparisons to blackberry & knocks on exchange servers, etc. were meaningless, iphone sales surge primarily came from the motorola razr market, which is what it was intended to do. I'm not sure of Dell's aims, I think they're more consumer focused on the device end than HP is

I think you're underestimating the inroads Apple is making into business. They aren't becoming a vendor, but IT departments across the country are including support for Apple products. As the lines between time at work and away from work become more and more diluted, employers are letting their employees are getting more choice in mobile products. So many of my friends have iPhones that their company bought for them.

Is HP in a position to finally create paperless offices with tablets?

Insomniac
02-21-11, 01:54 PM
Things change. They are diversifying. As has been predicted, the desktop/laptop market is being cannibalized by the cheaper tablets. I fully expect that hard drives will likely go the way of the floppy drive in the next 5 years.

-Kevin

They don't seem to be diversifying much. Outside of building and scaling the infrastructure for iTunes, that has been a limited part of their business. Apple's business is everything they put their logo on vs. being a transaction processor/content distributor.

I think the existence of local storage will be heavily dependent on two factors: 1. Broadband availability and 2. cloud services for multimedia. Will Apple ever offer a subscription music service and/or a cloud music service?

KLang
02-21-11, 02:18 PM
Will Apple ever offer a subscription music service and/or a cloud music service?

Perhaps, there are supposed to be changes on the way to MobileMe. Just rumors so far.

cameraman
02-22-11, 06:14 AM
Apple is now going after the SaaS providers on the iPad/Phone.

Read it here: The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/21/apple_rejects_readability/)

Is their new operating system going to follow this route? Am I no longer going to be able to buy any software for my computer unless I buy it from the App store?

Insomniac
02-22-11, 04:26 PM
Perhaps, there are supposed to be changes on the way to MobileMe. Just rumors so far.

I'm thinking they are going to make MobileMe free (small sizes like drop box) and combine that with the patent that was just revealed for a "safe deposit box (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/19/apple-safe-deposit-box-patent-revealed-ahead-of-mac-os-x-lion/)". They even make mention of putting your music there.

Insomniac
02-22-11, 04:31 PM
Apple is now going after the SaaS providers on the iPad/Phone.

Read it here: The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/02/21/apple_rejects_readability/)

Is their new operating system going to follow this route? Am I no longer going to be able to buy any software for my computer unless I buy it from the App store?

Very interesting. I wonder if Zynga's stuff is next? The virtual currency seems like a target.

racer2c
02-22-11, 05:42 PM
...Google continues to welcome developers with open arms. While the iPhone has the largest app store, Google recently overtook Nokia and other phone manufacturers with the largest mobile operating system market share. And despite a few hiccups with the application approval process, most apps make it onto the Android Marketplace without having to pass through anything like Appleā€™s black-box approval procedure. Google also launched a more publisher-friendly Google One Pass that will allow publishers to sell subscriptions with better terms than they can get with Apple. And Google is only taking a 10 percent share of the revenues. Link (http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/21/apple-readability-rejection-exodus/)

My Android toting friends claim that the major players in the app devs create for both platforms but that there are a many more junk apps in the Google store vs Apple. I wouldn't know because the search criteria in the Apple store is limited to date, popularity and keyword (which I found to be very limited in results).

This guy hates his iPad... Link (http://www.slate.com/id/2285434/). That makes me sad. :(

In other news....Xoom won't have Flash at launch....Doh.

cameraman
02-22-11, 11:00 PM
They even make mention of putting your music there.I can't imagine them giving away a TB of drive space, that's my iTunes library, just under a TB and that does not include recorded TV which comes in around 2 TB.

That's why I can't wrap my brain around this whole cloud deal. At work a single experiment can chew up 300GB of raw data, at home I've got mirrored raids stacked up like cordwood and my internet connection just tested at 715Kb/sec up. Seriously clouds really makes no sense, the fastest internet you can get around here is running at 2456 Kb/s down and 715 Kb/s up with a 47ms latency. On those creaky old phone lines you want to pile on everybody's music, pictures, games, phone calls, video chats, applications, netflix, youtube and the run of the mill web:saywhat:? Nobody is paying to upgrade the copper around here, the service is not going to get any faster anytime soon, the gross available bandwidth isn't increasing and everybody keeps yammering on about clouds. It is absolutely delusional.

racer2c
02-22-11, 11:13 PM
I can't imagine them giving away a TB of drive space, that's my iTunes library, just under a TB and that does not include recorded TV which comes in around 2 TB.

That's why I can't wrap my brain around this whole cloud deal. At work a single experiment can chew up 300GB of raw data, at home I've got mirrored raids stacked up like cordwood and my internet connection just tested at 715Kb/sec up. Seriously clouds really makes no sense, the fastest internet you can get around here is running at 2456 Kb/s down and 715 Kb/s up with a 47ms latency. On those creaky old phone lines you want to pile on everybody's music, pictures, games, phone calls, video chats, applications, netflix, youtube and the run of the mill web:saywhat:? Nobody is paying to upgrade the copper around here, the service is not going to get any faster anytime soon, the gross available bandwidth isn't increasing and everybody keeps yammering on about clouds. It is absolutely delusional.

It's not about space/speed...it's about availability.

Indy
02-23-11, 01:18 AM
I use MobileMe. It's not for everything. It is for stuff you need across multiple devices & locations. And each Mac has a local copy of everything plus access to the cloud. Everything syncs automatically. Plus it has a picture gallery, public folder, you get an email, etc. But it is still too expensive.

SteveH
02-23-11, 11:17 PM
Buy a XOOM now and then go this process to upgrade it to Verizon's 4G LTE service. Hey, its free of charge.

But a total PITA.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/2-23-11-xoom-lte.jpg

Insomniac
02-24-11, 02:39 PM
I can't imagine them giving away a TB of drive space, that's my iTunes library, just under a TB and that does not include recorded TV which comes in around 2 TB.

It won't be free, but a cloud backup would work great with music from Apple's perspective (especially purchased music). I've noticed with drop box, if you sync a popular file (and probably any duplicate to another user) it syncs instantly. They must run a checksum and compare to files already stored. You get "credit" for storing the file, but they aren't keeping multiple copies.

I also don't see the cloud being as useful for anything you need instant access to, but for something like music/videos that could stream, it would make sense. Bandwidth will obviously be an important factor.

Insomniac
02-24-11, 02:42 PM
Buy a XOOM now and then go this process to upgrade it to Verizon's 4G LTE service. Hey, its free of charge.

But a total PITA.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/02/2-23-11-xoom-lte.jpg

That doesn't seem like a PITA. No worse than getting a new battery in an Apple device. It's a shame they can't just swap them at the store, but I guess they don't want to put up the outlay of giving the first wave new devices.

Get to use it now and get LTE later.

SteveH
02-24-11, 05:34 PM
That doesn't seem like a PITA. No worse than getting a new battery in an Apple device. It's a shame they can't just swap them at the store, but I guess they don't want to put up the outlay of giving the first wave new devices.

Get to use it now and get LTE later.

I've changed 3 batteries in iPods on my own. Piece of cake. And significantly cheaper than Apple would charge.

Insomniac
02-24-11, 06:03 PM
I've changed 3 batteries in iPods on my own. Piece of cake. And significantly cheaper than Apple would charge.

They really don't want you to do that with a Xoom. ;)

SteveH
02-24-11, 06:05 PM
:D Certainly I won't be able to DIY the upgrade to 4G LTE.

SteveH
02-24-11, 09:12 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26574892@N07/5475257624/ :D

Yeah, I know it will be coming soon. ;)

racer2c
02-24-11, 09:19 PM

Funny pic but flash is irrelevant anyway.

cameraman
02-24-11, 09:37 PM

Well it is on a level playing field with the iPad...

WickerBill
02-24-11, 09:55 PM

Data deduplication. They wouldn't store 14 million copies of "Holiday" by Green Day... they'd store one.

RusH
02-25-11, 08:36 PM
Funny pic but flash is irrelevant anyway.

It`s relevant to the life of the device in question. On todays Internet.

HTML5 may start to pick up steam...but by then there will be another "Xoom" anyway.

nrc
02-25-11, 09:48 PM
Ha. We've only just reached the point where you might be able to say that IE 6 is irrelevant. Apple doesn't really care about relevance or standards. They care about user experience and driving users to apps and services that drive revenue to them.

racer2c
02-25-11, 10:00 PM
Ha. We've only just reached the point where you might be able to say that IE 6 is irrelevant. Apple doesn't really care about relevance or standards. They care about user experience and driving users to apps and services that drive revenue to them.

And looking cool at Starbucks! :)

Insomniac
02-26-11, 10:14 AM
http://gigaom.com/2011/02/24/google-pulls-voicemail-app-in-possible-in-app-payment-move/

A lot of speculation on why Google pulled the App, but the most concerning is they haven't told the developer why they did it and they aren't allowed to fix it (as an update, they can submit a new App).

SteveH
02-26-11, 11:10 AM
how can I say no? :D

wePjWNYesGQ

Insomniac
02-28-11, 04:47 PM
Cloud Fail: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/gmail-fail/

KLang
02-28-11, 05:46 PM
iPad coming to the cockpit. (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/28/FAA.approves.iPads/index.html?hpt=T2)

dando
02-28-11, 06:15 PM
iPad coming to the cockpit. (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/28/FAA.approves.iPads/index.html?hpt=T2)

I hope they don't require Flash. :gomer:

-Kevin

cameraman
03-02-11, 03:11 PM
The new iPad2 is here.
Thinner, lighter and much faster.
All new processor, A5. Dual core 1 GHz.
Same price points and configurations as before.
Has 1080p HDMI out for projectors. Designed for presentations.
Front facing VGA camera
Rear facing 720p/30fps camera w/5x digital zoom
3 axis gyro
accelerometer
digital compass
Fancy new magnetic cover/stand thingie (http://www.apple.com/ipad/smart-cover/)
Available in White if you care
Shipping March 11
Same battery life as original iPad
New version of iMovie & Garageband for iPad

dando
03-02-11, 03:16 PM
The new iPad2 is here.
Front facing VGA camera
3 axis gyro
accelerometer
digital compass
Shipping March 11

And Skeletor announced it....

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/03/02/SteveJobsiPad2Launch_610x441.jpg

:eek:

-Kevin

cameraman
03-02-11, 03:21 PM
He is definitely thin. It is amazing that he is still alive.

KLang
03-02-11, 04:14 PM
The new iPad2 is here.
Front facing VGA camera
3 axis gyro
accelerometer
digital compass
Shipping March 11

I will be ordering one. My wife loves her iPad, it has replaced her Macbook for travel.

Insomniac
03-02-11, 04:19 PM
The new iPad2 is here.
Front facing VGA camera
3 axis gyro
accelerometer
digital compass
Shipping March 11

Apple just told all the analysts to suck it. Not only is it available soon, they're throwing out 2 colors. Far cry from the delay/supplier talk < 2 weeks ago.

racer2c
03-02-11, 04:25 PM
I will be ordering one. My wife loves her iPad, it has replaced her Macbook for travel.

Mine is rarely out of my hands and when it is...its close by. Yes...I want the iPad 2. :thumbup:

dando
03-02-11, 04:39 PM
OK, so for you iPad dorks, what's so good about this 'upgrade' compared to getting a gen 1 for $399?

-Kevin

racer2c
03-02-11, 04:46 PM
OK, so for you iPad dorks, what's so good about this 'upgrade' compared to getting a gen 1 for $399?

-Kevin

Cameras and dual core process IMO.

SteveH
03-02-11, 04:48 PM

I'll be pulling the trigger on one, also. Nice step up from the original. Still a few items that I would like to have seen; SD card support, multitasking. But other than that, I can't complain.

Biggest improvement for me over the original is native Verizon support. I'm buying one instead of a smartphone so mobile email access is a key factor. Much more capable and usable than a smartphone, a little less convenient due to its size but overall functionality trumps that.

cameraman
03-02-11, 04:50 PM
I've got a top of the line original iPad and I don't really see any need to upgrade it. The gyro would make the Starwalk programs work better. But I have never run anything on my iPad that caused it to bog down. Now if you plan on using it to edit movies then you might need the speed. I have a real computer for that.

I read magazines on it. My son watches tv on it in the car. We play Angry Birds.

I'll done buying toys until they come out with a 4G iPhone.

KLang
03-02-11, 05:07 PM
multitasking

That is there already, it got turned on last fall with one of the iOS updates. Unless you are thinking of something more?

dando
03-02-11, 05:19 PM
Just looking for this for browsing and e-mail kinda stuff for the Mrs., and perhaps an app or two. Not impressed with the initial Android tablets, which is what I use on my smartyphone. My main geek machine is a Windoze 7 laptop.

-Kevin

racer2c
03-02-11, 05:21 PM
That is there already, it got turned on last fall with one of the iOS updates. Unless you are thinking of something more?

I consider psuedo-multi tasking. You can minimize an app to the 'app dock', such as Safari while surfing OffCamber, and open Toodledo to add a reminder to buy more beer, close Toodledo and open back up Safari to the same page you were reading. You can dock as many apps as your RAM can handle (I've had about a dozen open at one time without issue)
You can't open up YouTube and jam out to 'baby monkey on a pig' and still hear that infectious tune when you minimize the app though. I read you can use the music player while using other apps, but I don't listen to music on my ipad.
I'd use more of the phone apps if they supported the blue tooth headsets better. I haven't read if the iPad 2 does or not.

racer2c
03-02-11, 05:22 PM

dando
03-02-11, 05:26 PM
I also don't get the lack of SD support. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Gnam
03-02-11, 05:32 PM
Apple just told all the analysts to suck it. Not only is it available soon, they're throwing out 2 colors. Far cry from the delay/supplier talk < 2 weeks ago.

Can you hear me now, biotches?

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1535/appleipadpicturemodifi0.jpg

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:03 PM
Just looking for this for browsing and e-mail kinda stuff for the Mrs., and perhaps an app or two. Not impressed with the initial Android tablets, which is what I use on my smartyphone. My main geek machine is a Windoze 7 laptop.

-Kevin

iPad 1 should be more than adequate, except as r2c points out, no camera. You didn't mention it, but I could see a Skype app coming fast (already have one for the iPhone/iPod that should work on the iPad 2). iPad 3 should get the "retina" display.

dando
03-02-11, 06:13 PM
iPad 1 should be more than adequate. iPad 3 should get the "retina" display.

That's what I suspected. I just don't get the lack of external storage...oh wait, it Apple. :saywhat: :shakehead I've played with a few iPons...the display on gen 1 is actually quite impressive in daylight. My next question is if I have $ony, Android, Apple, Windoze and Tivo products in the homizzle is that like crossing the streams?

jyaLZHiJJnE

:gomer:

-Kevin

KLang
03-02-11, 06:16 PM
I consider psuedo-multi tasking. You can minimize an app to the 'app dock', such as Safari while surfing OffCamber, and open Toodledo to add a reminder to buy more beer, close Toodledo and open back up Safari to the same page you were reading. You can dock as many apps as your RAM can handle (I've had about a dozen open at one time without issue)
You can't open up YouTube and jam out to 'baby monkey on a pig' and still hear that infectious tune when you minimize the app though. I read you can use the music player while using other apps, but I don't listen to music on my ipad.
I'd use more of the phone apps if they supported the blue tooth headsets better. I haven't read if the iPad 2 does or not.

I wondered what sort of multitasking he was looking for. I think it depends on the app. I can turn on a tune in the iPod app (this is on my iPhone but I assume iPad should work the same) and go off to do other things. Does it really make sense to multitask a video app when everything is a full screen app? Perhaps if they add multiple window support a some point.

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:16 PM
I also don't get the lack of SD support. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

$$$. 16 GB SDHC card = $25. 16 GB iPad upgrade = $100. 32 GB SDHC card = $50. (Apple also buys in the quantities of millions.)

I told you they make money from hardware, not software. :D

KLang
03-02-11, 06:18 PM
That's what I suspected. I just don't get the lack of external storage...oh wait, it Apple.

-Kevin

They want us to use MobileMe and storage in the cloud.

dando
03-02-11, 06:22 PM
I told you they make money from hardware, not software. :D

They make $$$ from both and it just underscores my walled garden argument. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:22 PM
That's what I suspected. I just don't get the lack of external storage...oh wait, it Apple. :saywhat: :shakehead I've played with a few iPons...the display on gen 1 is actually quite impressive in daylight. My next question is if I have $ony, Android, Apple, Windoze and Tivo products in the homizzle is that like crossing the streams?

jyaLZHiJJnE

:gomer:

-Kevin

It probably just means you aren't very productive at using any of them. ;)

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:23 PM
They make $$$ from both and it just underscores my walled garden argument. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Hardware = $$$
Software = $

When Software = $$$$$, you'll see memory card slots. :)

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:26 PM
I wondered what sort of multitasking he was looking for. I think it depends on the app. I can turn on a tune in the iPod app (this is on my iPhone but I assume iPad should work the same) and go off to do other things. Does it really make sense to multitask a video app when everything is a full screen app? Perhaps if they add multiple window support a some point.

Other apps do keep running as well, especially geolocation ones recording data. It really is up to the app maker on how the multi-tasking works and what it does when minimized. Apple however emphasizes conserving the battery/resources to all developers.

Ankf00
03-02-11, 07:08 PM

-Kevin

it's maintaining margins and avoiding commodities. selling non-commoditized hardware does it for them. that's the business model they've had for years now and on top of it working out well for them, they're still driving the direction of the market instead of becoming fat and complacent like others in that space have become over the years.

SteveH
03-02-11, 07:22 PM
OK, sounds like there's enough multitasking for most of what I'll do.

dando
03-03-11, 10:05 AM
A good summary of what failed w/iPad 2.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20038561-37.html?tag=topStories2

It's obvious the SD and USB support isn't there so they can sell the iPad on tiered pricing for more storage like the iPod and iPhone rather than allow users to increase storage on their own. :shakehead I doubled my storage capacity from 16GB to 32GB on my Android for $16. It would cost me $100 on an iPad. :saywhat: Plus the 'adapter' for USB support via the proprietary port. :irked:

-Kevin

racer2c
03-03-11, 11:23 AM
A good summary of what failed w/iPad 2.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20038561-37.html?tag=topStories2

It's obvious the SD and USB support isn't there so they can sell the iPad on tiered pricing for more storage like the iPod and iPhone rather than allow users to increase storage on their own. :shakehead I doubled my storage capacity from 16GB to 32GB on my Android for $16. It would cost me $100 on an iPad. :saywhat: Plus the 'adapter' for USB support via the proprietary port. :irked:

-Kevin

I'm not an Apple apologist, the iPad being my first and only Apple product, but keeping their systems locked down are what makes them so secure. I never have to worry about viruses, Trojans, malware etc, ever.
I also have never worried about space. The iPad being primarily for consuming data rather than creating it. I look at these devices as a mobile extension of my workstation, not a replacement.

I see Google removed 50 virus infected apps from their store this week. Doh.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/mar/02/android-market-apps-malware

Insomniac
03-03-11, 12:36 PM
I never have to worry about viruses, Trojans, malware etc, ever.

If a device is connected to a network, it's never immune. Someday, you will worry. There can be very valuable data on these devices in the future.

dando
03-03-11, 01:27 PM
If a device is connected to a network, it's never immune. Someday, you will worry. There can be very valuable data on these devices in the future.

Indeed. Nothing is immune. When I hear that argument from Mac users I just :shakehead. Once the user base becomes significant, the hackers will start hacking it.

-Kevin

racer2c
03-03-11, 01:53 PM
Indeed. Nothing is immune. When I hear that argument from Mac users I just :shakehead. Once the user base becomes significant, the hackers will start hacking it.

-Kevin

Lol!! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that over the years. 15 million iPad users, not counting the gazillions of iPhone, iPod touch users arn't enough?

I went into buying the iPad kicking and screaming...now I wonder what took me so long. Their $$$$ is slick.

I'll let you guys know when my iPad is bricked by a virus.

cameraman
03-03-11, 02:03 PM
Once the user base becomes significant, the hackers will start hacking it.

The user base already is significant. It isn't like Apple has a great relationship with the security folks either. I've never understood why there is so little in the way of OS X malware, the OS is hardly bullet proof.:confused:

dando
03-03-11, 02:21 PM
Lol!! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that over the years. 15 million iPad users, not counting the gazillions of iPhone, iPod touch users arn't enough?

I went into buying the iPad kicking and screaming...now I wonder what took me so long. Their $$$$ is slick.

I'll let you guys know when my iPad is bricked by a virus.

Dude, it's a fact that it's still ~7:3 M$FT vs. Apple/GOOG (especially in corp. USA), and there is hardly any significant data on an iTouch on 90% of the devices (wanna hack some Angry Birds?). :shakehead The gap is closing...glacially. I'm not a fanboy of any of them...they all have flaws. Both hardware and software.

-Kevin

racer2c
03-03-11, 02:29 PM
Dude, it's a fact that it's still ~7:3 M$FT vs. Apple/GOOG (especially in corp. USA), and there is hardly any significant data on an iTouch on 90% of the devices (wanna hack some Angry Birds?). :shakehead The gap is closing...glacially. I'm not a fanboy of any of them...they all have flaws. Both hardware and software.

-Kevin

Oranges to apples, Kevin.

Ankf00
03-03-11, 02:36 PM

-Kevin

apple's not in the server business, the data center business, the switches and routers business, etc.

they're in the consumer product business. they are a product design company every bit as much as they're a tech company. fact remains security wise, at the moment they're golden and there's no apparent external factors that would change that in the near future.

as you said, who wants to get into angry birds?

Apple = an F18, bro.

Insomniac
03-03-11, 03:44 PM
There was a version of iOS that was jailbroken by clicking a web link. That seems like a pretty significant security hole.

OS X and iOS have done great when it comes to security, but they have fixed security holes constantly.

iOS devices are protected well since Apps are installed via the App Store (and no one will really pay attention to any security issues that target jail broken devices). There isn't really a way to stealthily install an App on their iOS devices.

With the proliferation of mobile platforms (This could become a 3 or 4 way battle) people are talking more and more about HTML 5 as a place to consolidate their applications. Companies aren't too thrilled about having to build an App for iOS, Android, Blackberry OS and Windows Phone 7.

How secure is Safari? It was the fastest browser hacked in a conference a couple years ago.

So combine how fast Breakup Notifier went into use (>3M users in < 48 hours) with Facebook's intention to move their mobile offerings to HTML 5 in the future. Something malicious will be able to spread pretty fast on a mobile platform in the future.

Finally, outside the fact that neither Apple or Google are upfront about what information leaks out from your devices (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704368004576027751867039730.html), Apple isn't immune to what just happened with malicious Apps. Developers do not provide their source code to Apple. If someone finds an exploit in their SDK, they may get it past Apple just as they were able to with Google.

racer2c
03-03-11, 04:03 PM
. If someone finds an exploit in their SDK, they may get it past Apple just as they were able to with Google.

and I may get 3 stars in every level of Angry Birds.

Insomniac
03-03-11, 04:50 PM
and I may get 3 stars in every level of Angry Birds.

For all any of us know, there is an exploit that is already in use. My main point being, I don't think any device is 100% safe forever. Some have better track records.

dando
03-03-11, 07:12 PM
Oranges to apples, Kevin.

Not so. Apple is trying to move into the corp. market. As they do, their vulnerabilities will be exploited more and more. I'm in the Web and software dev biz, and we track usage trends via Omniture, etc....Apple is making progress, but is still far from tipping the scale. And for the record, I've used a MacBook Pro for work for the past 5 years, have a Windoze 7 laptop @ home as well as an XP desktop (work and home) and an Android phone. I've also sampled vicariously through other's Apple devices, but have not been compelled to buy (mainly due to price and iTunes).

-Kevin

racer2c
03-03-11, 10:02 PM
Not so. Apple is trying to move into the corp. market. As they do, their vulnerabilities will be exploited more and more. I'm in the Web and software dev biz, and we track usage trends via Omniture, etc....Apple is making progress, but is still far from tipping the scale. And for the record, I've used a MacBook Pro for work for the past 5 years, have a Windoze 7 laptop @ home as well as an XP desktop (work and home) and an Android phone. I've also sampled vicariously through other's Apple devices, but have not been compelled to buy (mainly due to price and iTunes).

-Kevin

Well, I suppose you need qualify what you consider to be 'corporate'. I've been in IT for the past 14 years. The smallest 'corporation' I've worked for was ~500 employees. The largest around 15,000. The only Apple products at any of them were personal iPhones, (which just this week the mandate went out that all personal smart phones are not allowed to connect to the Exchange server). Heck, on the business side, 100% of their workstations are still on XP (and will be for another year at least).

I have a friend who works at a small software dev company of about 30 people (they make software for inmate purchasing kiosks in jails). They use whatever hardware they want.

SteveH
03-03-11, 10:45 PM
Interesting article - 80% of Fortune 100 companies have tested/delpoyed iPads (http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-now-deployed-or-tested-in-80-of-the-fortune-100-2011-1)

racer2c
03-03-11, 11:38 PM
Interesting article - 80% of Fortune 100 companies have tested/delpoyed iPads (http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-now-deployed-or-tested-in-80-of-the-fortune-100-2011-1)

80% have tested or deployed?:rofl:

nrc
03-04-11, 12:20 AM
Every company has some tech geeks who want an iPad who are going to make the case that they need to have one for testing because their users are going to have them. How much that turns into actual deployments that are blessed by corporate IT remains to be seen.

It's not as improbable as it was just a few years ago because now IT can allow users to have these devices and yet keep their actual desktops including sensitive data in the data center.

If Apple would partner with VMware to create an OSX virtual desktop they'd chew into Microsoft's corporate desktop share at an incredible pace.

WickerBill
03-04-11, 07:29 AM
If Apple would partner with VMware to create an OSX virtual desktop they'd chew into Microsoft's corporate desktop share at an incredible pace.

Isn't that the truth! But Apple isn't yet ready for two things: 1. a portable, easily deployable-on-any-Intel-hardware version of their OS (support complexity goes through the roof for them), and 2. the hassles of kowtowing to corporate software.

I think all ya'll are wrong ( :) ) in one way or another... Apple *is* gaining some traction in corporate America -- especially sales forces -- with the iPad. It is simply a better presentation tool when working one-on-one with a doctor (in the pharma field, for instance) than a laptop. But is Apple going out of their way to support any sort of corporate iPad initiative? No they are not. Their product is compelling enough that it is seeping into corporate America, but when asked by corporate America to provide corporate-style tools and support, Apple laughs.

They will continue to make consumer-oriented devices, build, test, and support them as consumer-oriented devices, and wherever they end up being used, great.

My two copper discs

-- ML

WickerBill
03-04-11, 07:34 AM
From an article (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/editorial-its-apples-post-pc-world-were-all-just-living/) about Apple touting the "post-PC era":

In this new world, Apple no longer has to compete on specs and features, nor does it want to. There is no Mac vs. PC here -- only "the future" versus "the past." It won't be a debate about displays, memory, wireless options -- it will be a debate about the quality of the experience. Apple is not just eschewing the spec conversation in favor of a different conversation -- it's rendering those former conversations useless. It would be like trying to compare a race car to a deeply satisfying book. In a post-PC world, the experience of the product is central and significant above all else. It's not the RAM or CPU speed, screen resolution or number of ports which dictate whether a product is valuable; it becomes purely about the experience of using the device.

Thoughts?

SteveH
03-04-11, 10:17 AM
Thoughts?

Initial thoughts are that I agree, even though I do not have one. Give me a couple of weeks with one in my hand and I'll know for sure.

In some ways the iPad is sort of like MS .NET. It is a framework for content delivery, very specialized delivery through the use of apps. If I were a company that was dependant upon the internet for delivering content, I'd make sure I had a killer app to do it. That's much more sticky that having someone bookmark an URL.

Insomniac
03-04-11, 10:51 AM
From an article (http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/editorial-its-apples-post-pc-world-were-all-just-living/) about Apple touting the "post-PC era":

Thoughts?

It seems like a mish-mash of thoughts.

As an aside, I find it humorous that it's "post-PC" and not "post-Mac". :)

We're in an era where it's no longer one computer in a household. The smart phones and tablets are still complimentary. I think at some point in the future, a tablet could be a singular device for people who are purely consumers and don't create any content.

The idea that specs don't matter is also not true. Apple didn't upgrade to a dual core processor because it doesn't matter. It's been true forever that the more power the hardware provides, software developers will find ways to maximize it. The Tegra 2 didn't explode in popularity because it was just another option, it was the performance.

Apple has found some markets where they are the leader, or near the top and now some people are believing that these markets are replacing old ones. Desktops and laptops are not going away. Maybe people in offices will have a desktop and tablet instead of a desktop and laptop.

15M iPads world wide aren't going to replace PCs. Smart phones make up ~20% of mobile phone sales and the iPhone is about 25% of that. Apple's business may be mostly "post-PC" (they included the iPod as part of that group), but the world isn't anywhere close.

nrc
03-04-11, 08:22 PM
Their product is compelling enough that it is seeping into corporate America, but when asked by corporate America to provide corporate-style tools and support, Apple laughs.

True. They're printing so much money right now that they don't have to care about pleasing a bunch of corporate IT types that don't have "hip" and "cool" at the top of their decision matrix. It's probably not even worth the risk that courting business might take some of the luster off their hip image.

Insomniac
03-04-11, 11:33 PM
So, which is more secure to use, the iPhone or the Android?
Neither, according to security experts who say the two fastest-growing smartphone platforms are different but comparable.

"Security concerns are mostly theoretical, at this point," Miller said. "You are more likely to lose the phone" than get hit by malware.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20009362-245.html

The ... part is interesting. It compares the platforms.

WickerBill
03-05-11, 09:26 AM
Well thanks for quoting the interesting bits. ;)

I agree with the "more likely to lose it" sentiment, for now. I think it could change over the next few years, though.

SteveH
03-05-11, 09:33 AM
Samsung exec: Our tablet is 'inadequate' (http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/03/04/samsung.tablet.inadequate/index.html?hpt=T2)

that should help sales ;)

Cam
03-05-11, 07:15 PM
Beauty of appl products is they are all *nix. With that base...

Insomniac
03-06-11, 11:39 AM
What would happen to Microsoft if you copied 2,000 files over to a Samba share and it completed with no errors, only you find out that ~1,850 files actually are on the share?

cameraman
03-06-11, 12:08 PM
I don't know what would happen to Microsoft but I know that I would be looking for trailing spaces in folder names.

You have to wonder how Apple functions on a corporate level given their bugtastic smb implementation:shakehead

Insomniac
03-06-11, 01:12 PM
I don't know what would happen to Microsoft but I know that I would be looking for trailing spaces in folder names.

You have to wonder how Apple functions on a corporate level given their bugtastic smb implementation:shakehead

I imagine the anger would be everywhere and fanboys would be reveling in it.

It was actually a bunch of MP3s. I lost my media drive (on my XP Machine) and didn't realize that you can't sync back to an empty iTunes library. I also had not realized on the iPod Touch, you can no longer browse the files through Windows explorer. $19 later I had the music on my MacBook Pro luckily. Tried to copy them over and then found it odd when I pulled it all into iTunes the numbers were off. So much fun comparing the files and finding out what was missing. Even then, it took two more copies to get all the files (it "lost" 3 of the remaining ~150).

I have no idea why Apple refuses to address/solve this bug. (It's been around a while as far as I can gather.)

Insomniac
03-06-11, 03:04 PM
Google's Full Response to Malicious Software in the Android Marketplace:
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/03/update-on-android-market-security.html

1. Remove Apps, Ban Developers, Report to Law Enforcement
2. Remote Kill Switch on Apps
3. Install App onto affected users to clean up completely
4. Do better going forward

cameraman
03-07-11, 02:50 AM
For the time being at least we have a swing and a miss. An in depth review of the Motorola Zoom at ars technica (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2011/03/ars-reviews-the-motorola-xoom.ars).

cameraman
03-07-11, 11:20 PM
It seems Apple sold 1.1 million of the new MacBook Air models in the fourth quarter of 2010. This is the new design released in October. That would be ~40% of Apple's total notebook sales.

racer2c
03-07-11, 11:24 PM
Refurbed iPad's going for $350 from Apple. Get one while they last!!

nrc
03-08-11, 05:08 AM
$330 refurb iPad on deals.woot.

http://deals.woot.com/sellout

SteveH
03-08-11, 09:54 AM
Google Takes Heat Over App Security .

By SPENCER E. ANTE And AMIR EFRATI
A major software attack on mobile phones has put pressure on Google Inc. to do more to secure its online store for smartphone applications.

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703883504576186810666183384.html#i xzz1G139pfZ4

58 malicious apps were downloaded to 260,00 devices before Google deactivated them. Going to be a tough sell to the corporate world unless they really crackdown. :thumdown:

Insomniac
03-08-11, 11:43 AM
It seems Apple sold 1.1 million of the new MacBook Air models in the fourth quarter of 2010. This is the new design released in October. That would be ~40% of Apple's total notebook sales.

That's not surprising to me. The Air was really getting dated in design (2+ years) and the model (1+ year) and they made significant improvements (also added the 11.6" model). They are a lot more comparable to the 13" MBP now (only $100 more, higher resolution screen, slower CPU, SSD).

SteveH
03-08-11, 12:45 PM
Adobe now has a conversion tool that will convert FLA files to HTML.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/

racer2c
03-08-11, 12:56 PM
Adobe now has a conversion tool that will convert FLA files to HTML.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/

They had to do sumptin!:)

Insomniac
03-10-11, 11:42 AM
Mr. Miller sums up OS X security the best, with his famous remark, "Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town."

Mac OS X first to get hacked: http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+OS+X+is+First+OS+to+be+Hacked+at+This+Years +Pwn2Own/article21097.htm

racer2c
03-10-11, 12:15 PM
Mac OS X first to get hacked: http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+OS+X+is+First+OS+to+be+Hacked+at+This+Years +Pwn2Own/article21097.htm

I could hack an iBook in 5 seconds too. so the point is...

Insomniac
03-10-11, 02:04 PM
I could hack an iBook in 5 seconds too. so the point is...

I'm not sure if you are asking me what the point is, but I'm not going to start the debate over security all over again with positions established. Just posting an article.

Insomniac
03-10-11, 02:06 PM
This could be costly for MSFT:

A group of hackers have scammed Microsoft out of $1.2 million after finding a way to generate new Microsoft Points out of old point codes.

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Out+12+Million+After+MS+Points+Scam/article21102.htm

Looks like someone has figured out the algorithm to generate valid codes.

nrc
03-10-11, 02:11 PM

The headline is more than a little misleading. It wasn't a "Ready, set, go" race to see what could be hacked first and the hack took much more than 5 seconds. They spent substantial time preparing the hack in advance and then Safari on OSX was drawn to be the first attack target.

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the way Apple runs OSX to know if they maintain proper privilege isolation, but on a *nix machine "owning" a user doesn't mean you've owned the machine.

Insomniac
03-10-11, 09:46 PM
The headline is more than a little misleading. It wasn't a "Ready, set, go" race to see what could be hacked first and the hack took much more than 5 seconds. They spent substantial time preparing the hack in advance and then Safari on OSX was drawn to be the first attack target.

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the way Apple runs OSX to know if they maintain proper privilege isolation, but on a *nix machine "owning" a user doesn't mean you've owned the machine.

OK. To be more fair and balanced here are some more stories. :)

IE8/Windows 7: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/pwn2own-2011-ie8-on-windows-7-hijacked-with-3-vulnerabilities/8367

iPhone/iOS: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/charlie-miller-wins-pwn2own-again-with-iphone-4-exploit/8378

Blackberry: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/pwn2own-2011-blackberry-falls-to-webkit-browser-attack/8401

OS X doesn't run users as root. So the exploit won't get root, you'd need the user's password to run stuff as the super user.

Google has tossed in another $20k if anyone there can exploit Chrome on Windows 7 64-bit.