PDA

View Full Version : Tour of California

oddlycalm
05-24-10, 05:46 AM
Moving this race from February to May made all the difference in the world. Great weather, gorgeous scenery, and massive crowds. The size of the crowds all week was great but the final stage on Sunday really knocked me out. It like watching one of the big stages at the TdF.

How tough was it? Only 63 of the 120 riders that started saw the finish. I thought it was interesting that when Armstrong abandoned the air didn't go out of the balloon with the crowd or with his team. In a way it seemed like people were almost relieved he was gone and with him the Floyd Landis noise and all that is now ancient history.

Congratulations to Mick Rogers and HTC-Columbia. :thumbup:

oc

RichK
05-24-10, 12:20 PM
What a great week of racing! We drove to Sacramento to watch the finish of the first stage. Huge crowd, big expo area, great atmosphere.

On Wednesday the Tour was two blocks from my house. We caught a KOM sprint, then drove around them to see the surprising non-Cavendish sprint finish in Modesto.

It's so weird standing on a quiet uphill turn in the mountains, and when the riders come by you don't shout because you'd literally be shouting in their ear. I just said in a normal voice: "Go Lance" or "Go Andy (Shleck)", and they are an arm's reach away, it's just you and the best riders in the world in the middle of nowhere. Cool sport!

oddlycalm
05-24-10, 05:07 PM
Nice! I wondered if you were there while I was watching.

oc