PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody care about Indy anymore?

Pages : [1] 2

Fio1
05-21-10, 12:17 PM
Man, they really are trying to kill this race aren't they. Even during the IRL vs CART era of say 1998-2002 I gave a darn about the 500, but now it's just another IRL race (boring one at that). The one week practice really took the excitement out of practice and the 1 weekend qualifying will kill the bump day nonsense.

IRL will become a case study on how to kill a major sporting event....:shakehead:thumdown:

pchall
05-21-10, 01:01 PM
It's hard to work up enough disdain to even mock the 500 as it has fallen into the mundane world of minor sporting events. I even forgot all about doing the Futility Watch for Kansas since there is really nothing worth making fun of these days.

They've done the final gutting of the ancient and long honored qualifying rules. Now if a qualified chassis is crashed beyond repair the backup starts in the same position on the grid as the qualified car.

indyscar link (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100521/SPORTS0107/5210347/Officials-scrap-rule-punishing-drivers-who-crash-qualified-cars)

"In my opinion, people aren't crashing cars on purpose, so we're not going to penalize them for that," Barnhart said. "It's already costing them $250,000, so why rub salt in the wound, too?"

Next week they will decide that everybody with a car in a the garages should be allowed to race because it cost them so much just to show up and there really should be no penalty for being slow.

Sean Malone
05-21-10, 01:18 PM
Man up, boys! This weekend is packed full of real IndeeeCar tradition and entertainment extravaganza!~ This is what Indy means folks!!!!!

Rumor has it to get there early for the 15 minute 'Ask the Expert' "events". :rofl:

This Weekend's Schedule

SATURDAY, MAY 22, 2010

Pole Day/Coca-Cola Music Fest
7 a.m.-6 p.m. Public Gates Open
8-10 a.m. Indianapolis 500 Practice
10:30-10:45 a.m. Ask The Expert (Curt Cavin), Coca-Cola Stage
11 a.m.-6 p.m. Indianapolis 500 Qualifications (Positions 1-24)
2-3 p.m. Live Music by Healing Sixes, Coca-Cola Stage
4-5 p.m. Live Music by Eddie Money, Coca-Cola Stage

SUNDAY, MAY 23, 2010

Armed Forces Day/Bump Day
8 a.m.-6 p.m. Public Gates Open
8:30-8:45 a.m. Ask The Expert (Curt Cavin), Coca-Cola Stage
9-10 a.m. Live Music by Rapid Fire, Coca-Cola Stage
Indianapolis 500 Practice
10:15-10:40 a.m. Armed Forces Enlistment Ceremony
Noon-6 p.m. Indianapolis 500 Qualifications (Positions 25-33)
1-1:30 p.m. Q&A with Johnny Rutherford, Coca-Cola Stage
3-4 p.m. Live Music by No More Goodbyes, Coca-Cola Stage

Sean Malone
05-21-10, 01:21 PM
It's hard to work up enough disdain to even mock the 500 as it has fallen into the mundane world of minor sporting events. I even forgot all about doing the Futility Watch for Kansas since there is really nothing worth making fun of these days.

They've done the final gutting of the ancient and long honored qualifying rules. Now if a qualified chassis is crashed beyond repair the backup starts in the same position on the grid as the qualified car.

indyscar link (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100521/SPORTS0107/5210347/Officials-scrap-rule-punishing-drivers-who-crash-qualified-cars)

Next week they will decide that everybody with a car in a the garages should be allowed to race because it cost them so much just to show up and there really should be no penalty for being slow.

That's the 'new world order' isn't it? Every kid who plays gets a plastic trophy...every one with a racecar gets to drive in the Indy 500.:)

High Sided
05-21-10, 01:47 PM
It's hard to work up enough disdain to even mock the 500 as it has fallen into the mundane world of minor sporting events.

yep, the 500 is one notch above this fantastic event, ewwwww free sauna speakers!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5198604

Methanolandbrats
05-21-10, 02:11 PM
It's barely a notch above expressing a long haired dogs anal glands. Hell, a how-to show on anal glands might get higher ratings.

dando
05-21-10, 02:12 PM

This should be called the Milka rule. :tony:

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-21-10, 02:18 PM
:D Been waiting for someone to introduce this topic. (I couldn't because I'm such a hypocrite, remember?:rofl:) Anyway, was out running the pooch this am when a neighbor shouted out, "Hey, what's up with Indy? Haven't heard a thing!" This from a moderately interested race fan, too. It really has just about slipped away. But, Ooooo, there's "Fast Friday" today!:shakehead I trekked down there on the Wed. prior to the 1st day of qualifications with a buddy, then my sons, for 25 years and enjoyed every trip. Saw all kinds of neat things. This year?...I forgot it was MAY! A quick check shows me Kanaan was fastest Wed. and PT next...going for his 2nd win!:D Oh, and Simona 15th, Danica 28th. :cool:

STD
05-21-10, 02:21 PM
Zzzzzzzzz no Zzzzzzzzz

stroker
05-21-10, 02:28 PM
that schedule should tell you everything you need to know. Six hours to fill the last six positions?

Sheesh... That'll keep the fans riveted to their seats.

Sean Malone
05-21-10, 02:34 PM
that schedule should tell you everything you need to know. Six hours to fill the last six positions?

Sheesh... That'll keep the fans riveted to their seats.

No, Eddie Money will make sure they stayed glued til the end!!!

KLang
05-21-10, 03:09 PM
I never got a chance to attend when 500 meant something, no interest at all now.

Back in the old days did they schedule musical entertainment while qualifying was running? :saywhat:

Cam
05-21-10, 03:32 PM
Back in the old days did they schedule musical entertainment

Even simpler... NO.

oddlycalm
05-21-10, 03:44 PM
Penske - "This just helps everybody.... We don't need to be putting cars back out there just to keep a starting position."

Interesting how what was "unthinkable" in 1995 happens in 2010 with all goobers smiling in agreement.

BTW, nobody will want to miss out on seeing Eddie Money come out of obscurity for the big day...:D

oc

pchall
05-21-10, 04:24 PM
Interesting how what was "unthinkable" in 1995 happens in 2010 with all goobers smiling in agreement.
oc

It took the genius of Tony George to wreak the destruction of the Indy 500 heritage he was so fervent about preserving in 1994. I think he did it to prove himself right.

Rogue Leader
05-21-10, 05:06 PM
Isn't Indy that race that used to be a big deal when I was a kid? What ever happened to it?

opinionated ow
05-21-10, 05:21 PM
i only care about Super SimSim. The rest I don't GAF

SteveH
05-21-10, 05:56 PM
I used to plan my entire month of May around this race between attending practice, qualifications and the race. Attending in some fashion during May spanning four decades, I've not stepped into IMS in May since 1995. I might have the race on TV but I won't be following it, sort of like how I watch NASCAR when nothing else interesting is on. Its been reduced to the same level as elevator music, background noise. Amazing.

TKGAngel
05-21-10, 07:17 PM
I might try to live blog the race again, since venting on the keyboard is better than venting in my living room.

And judging from the couple of drivers I follow on Twitter, they're all bored and po'd due to the weather.

stroker
05-21-10, 07:18 PM
Y'know, it sure would be interesting if somebody were to take the old Papyrus computer game "INDY CAR RACING" and do an online version of Indy. Let folks pay some money to participate in a month long "qualifying" effort online and then allow the 33 fastest to run an online 500 while the real 500 was on. I bet you could actually get more traffic online following the cyber version of "Racin' Gardner" et al than watching the real 500. Think so?

pineapple
05-21-10, 07:41 PM

Hmm. Not exactly quallies, but I seem to remember some folks in Naptown crying foul when cars were switched after that disastrous start at the US500.

hypocrisy - conscience = IRL supporter

Indy
05-21-10, 08:04 PM
No.

pchall
05-21-10, 08:11 PM
Hmm. Not exactly quallies, but I seem to remember some folks in Naptown crying foul when cars were switched after that disastrous start at the US500.

hypocrisy - conscience = IRL supporter

I was thinking about the US 500 start when I posted that link. If rolling out the backups after an aborted start was so wrong then how can this be acceptable to the :gomer:attii now?

I used to plan my entire month of May around this race between attending practice, qualifications and the race.

I remember when May was a big part of the rhythm of the season -- I'd measure the year with the increasing pulse rate and interest after the Daytona 24, Sebring, Long Beach, Indy, Monaco, and LeMans... then the school year was over and I could bail from my office and head to whatever races stirred my passion and fit into my budget. Now there is a big dead zone between Sebring and LeMans and very little to capture my interest for the rest of the summer. I need to check the schedule at Lawrenceburg soon. My son is 11 now and will spend all of July in Ohio. An evening of midget races would be a good thing for him to experience.

opinionated ow
05-22-10, 03:24 AM
I was thinking about the US 500 start when I posted that link. If rolling out the backups after an aborted start was so wrong then how can this be acceptable to the :gomer:attii now?

I remember when May was a big part of the rhythm of the season -- I'd measure the year with the increasing pulse rate and interest after the Daytona 24, Sebring, Long Beach, Indy, Monaco, and LeMans... then the school year was over and I could bail from my office and head to whatever races stirred my passion and fit into my budget. Now there is a big dead zone between Sebring and LeMans and very little to capture my interest for the rest of the summer. I need to check the schedule at Lawrenceburg soon. My son is 11 now and will spend all of July in Ohio. An evening of midget races would be a good thing for him to experience.

19th June-Indiana Midget Week (USAC) plus 410ci Traditional Sprintcars, UMP Modifieds (admittedly not as cool as the North-East mods...)

9th July-USAC Indiana Sprint Week plus UMP Modifieds and AMSA Mini-Sprints

I'd give a lot to go to both of those!

Indy
05-22-10, 07:53 AM
Hey, man, those races are dirt cheap to attend.

You just have to learn how to swim. :gomer:

opinionated ow
05-22-10, 08:06 AM
Hey, man, those races are dirt cheap to attend.

You just have to learn how to swim. :gomer:

I won't make it in time :(

Google (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=moorebank+NSW&daddr=Lawrenceburg+Speedway,+Lawrenceburg+IN&hl=en&geocode=FRM2-v0dgl7_CCnhhKjmd5USazGk7JqzuFslXg%3B&mra=ls&sll=3.049407,-147.372847&sspn=121.263234,346.289063&ie=UTF8&ll=7.362467,-158.203125&spn=120.92083,346.289063&z=2) tells me that it'll take 56 days including 17 days 8 hours to kayak from Darwin to Japan, 20 days to Kayak from Japan to Hawaii and then another 14 days kayaking to Washington...:laugh:

extramundane
05-22-10, 10:39 AM
Does anyone care? Well, I'm currently 30 miles from West Lafayette, and in the bar last night, when they weren't caught up in the Blackhawks game, the only other sport being discussed was football. An IRL ad came on and nobody batted an eyelash.

So there's that.

cameraman
05-22-10, 11:28 AM
I won't make it in time :(

Google (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=moorebank+NSW&daddr=Lawrenceburg+Speedway,+Lawrenceburg+IN&hl=en&geocode=FRM2-v0dgl7_CCnhhKjmd5USazGk7JqzuFslXg%3B&mra=ls&sll=3.049407,-147.372847&sspn=121.263234,346.289063&ie=UTF8&ll=7.362467,-158.203125&spn=120.92083,346.289063&z=2) tells me that it'll take 56 days including 17 days 8 hours to kayak from Darwin to Japan, 20 days to Kayak from Japan to Hawaii and then another 14 days kayaking to Washington...:laugh:

You could save yourself a lot of tolls by just kayaking directly from Moorebank to Hawaii.

dando
05-22-10, 11:58 AM
Literally dozens of :gomer:s @ IMS for pole day. :shakehead

-Kevin

BarillaGirl
05-22-10, 12:12 PM
Y'know, it sure would be interesting if somebody were to take the old Papyrus computer game "INDY CAR RACING" and do an online version of Indy. Let folks pay some money to participate in a month long "qualifying" effort online and then allow the 33 fastest to run an online 500 while the real 500 was on. I bet you could actually get more traffic online following the cyber version of "Racin' Gardner" et al than watching the real 500. Think so?

I'd do it. I remember following a CART race via the Internet (Players.com? can't recall) when there wasn't TV coverage or reception for some reason. It was fun (for me) to watch the changing LiveTiming numbers and realize when and where people were being passed. :thumbup:

pchall
05-22-10, 12:42 PM
9th July-USAC Indiana Sprint Week plus UMP Modifieds and AMSA Mini-Sprints

I'd give a lot to go to both of those!

Thanks for the heads up on the July 9th Friday night date. That will definitely be the evening to take JC to Lawrenceburg. Boyz night out! Burgers, brats, beer, root beer, burning rubber, and methanol fumes!

Anybody from the region that can make it to the track is welcome to join us.

:)

FTG
05-22-10, 01:30 PM
Thousands Expected to Participate in
Virtual Version of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing"

Bedford, MA (May 17, 2010) - On Sunday, May 30, 33 of the world's finest open-wheel racers will take the green flag for the 94th running of the Indianapolis 500. The day before, thousands of iRacing.com members will do the same on an exact digital duplicate of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the iRacing.com Indy 500. Part of the 2010 iRacing.com World Tour, this tribute to the "greatest spectacle in racing" is also 200 laps and features fields of 33 Dallara-Honda Indy cars.

"It's every racer's dream to compete in the Indy 500," said Kevin Bobbitt, iRacing.com's director of marketing. "There is just no other race like it. The World Tour lets every one of our more than 20,000 members compete in any or all of 15 of auto racing's signature events, but it's hard to think of another race that exceeds the historic significance or pure thrill of the Indy 500. iRacers won't have to just wonder what it's like to funnel into the first turn of the Indy 500 coping with the turbulence of 32 other cars in close proximity – they'll know first-hand."

Bobbitt noted that the iRacing.com Indy 500 celebrates iRacing's relationship with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the IZOD IndyCar Series. There's no entry fee for iRacing.com members and with as many as several thousand entries expected, the field for the iRacing.com Indy 500 will first be split in two, with one group for rookies and other relatively new drivers. The second is for more experienced drivers. Within those two sections, fields of 33 cars each will be determined according to four-lap qualifying times set by each driver.

"By splitting the field up in this way, we ensure that each driver is competing against 32 others of similar speed and skill," Bobbitt explained. "Five hundred miles is a long race, but any driver who stays focused and keeps his or her nose clean all afternoon has a shot to win. Because this race is open to all iRacing.com members, regardless of license level or experience, it is literally possible for any motorsports fan or racing games or driving games enthusiast to join on Friday and race on Saturday.

"We have a special promotion that includes the Dallara-Honda Indy car and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, along with the regular rookie package of cars and tracks, plus a three month membership. Anyone interested in getting in on the fun can check it out at http://www.iracing.com/indy-500-2010/ "

The race for the fastest 33-car split will be broadcast live on iRacing.com (www.iracing.com). The race begins at 12:00 p.m. ET (17:00 GMT) on Saturday, May 29. One driver, selected at random, will win a ride in a two-seater Indy car at the Indy Racing Experience, while two others will receive a pair of tickets to the 2010 or 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series race of their choice.

pchall
05-22-10, 02:56 PM
The race for the fastest 33-car split will be broadcast live on iRacing.com (www.iracing.com). The race begins at 12:00 p.m. ET (17:00 GMT) on Saturday, May 29. One driver, selected at random, will win a ride in a two-seater Indy car at the Indy Racing Experience, while two others will receive a pair of tickets to the 2010 or 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series race of their choice.

Wow. I'm underwhelmed by the prizes. But then, the prize structure for the 500 is rather low for what the folks at 16th and Georgetown still pretend it to be.

Don Quixote
05-22-10, 03:08 PM
... while two others will receive a pair of tickets to the 2010 or 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series race of their choice.
I am assuming you would get to keep the red hat also.

BarillaGirl
05-22-10, 07:25 PM
Wow. I'm underwhelmed by the prizes. But then, the prize structure for the 500 is rather low for what the folks at 16th and Georgetown still pretend it to be.

First prize is two tickets to the 2011 Indianapolis 500, and second place is four tickets to the 2011 Indianapolis 500?

In case the 2011 Indianapolis 500 is not held, prizes will consist of free parking at the IMS Museum. Regular museum admissions will be charged. ;)

Steve99
05-22-10, 10:35 PM
I'm sure someone is probably doing that, but using rFactor.

4wheeldrifter
05-24-10, 06:18 PM
No. I really don't.

Can't believe you are all still here. :p

Don Quixote
05-24-10, 07:15 PM
No. I really don't.

Can't believe you are all still here. :pFive years without a post, some kind of a record! :thumbup:

Napoleon
05-29-10, 09:49 AM
My answer is No.

Mary
05-29-10, 12:55 PM
Enough to lurk here occasionally to see what is going on, but not enough to actually watch it or any other IRL race or related activity.

Mary

Duroc
05-29-10, 01:49 PM
What :tony: hath wrought. The only discernible fan base left for AOW is waiting for the demise of IMS/IRL. Then no one will care anymore.

trish
05-30-10, 09:46 AM
I'll be watching this year. Not sure why, but I'm interested. Maybe it's because I want to see Danica bested by some of the other women in the field. Maybe it's because Bruno is there and I'd love to see him win after being injured there a few years ago, plus he was my favorite Champ Car driver. So for whatever reason I will be tuned in hopefully from start to finish.

NismoZ
05-30-10, 12:07 PM
I sure don't care about The League or the:tony: empire and though I don't HATE Penske/Ganassi, Andretti, Danica, Foyt etc. I'll listen in while watering the crops and detailing the car under our spreading oak tree, pull for Bruno, Simona, and a few others to do well and think of my ol' Dad and his stories about George Souders, Frank Lockhart, Millers and Deusenbergs.:) Not as excited about it as I used to be, but a lot of things have fallen into THAT category over the years.:D

Michaelhatesfans
05-30-10, 02:40 PM
This used to be the day when the phone went off the hook and I pulled the curtains in case someone tried to stop by and visit while I was watching the race.

To make a long story short, I'm off to the zoo with my kids.:thumbup:

devilmaster
05-30-10, 03:10 PM
well, i'm at work. If i can't stream the race onto the restaurant tv (no cable or sat here) without registering..... then meh.

Perhaps later when I hit the hotel lounge i frequent on sundays to relax, the cab race will be on.... only then will I bother.... unless of course the usually quiet lounge is filled with red bull air race people. then i might bolt all together.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 03:30 PM
Penske's guys are ****ing up everything. :rofl: It's worth watching just for that.

eiregosod
05-30-10, 03:54 PM
andretti motorfarts are putting in a good show

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 04:18 PM
Fuel economy run.....CART's fault.

trish
05-30-10, 04:20 PM
nasty last lap crash

devilmaster
05-30-10, 04:20 PM
fence crash.
:irked:

edit: just got into the lounge, put it on and caught the last 5.

and they've already announced the dude into the fence is fine. yet still isn't out of the car and has 8 workers round it. He'll quietly be downgraded to dead in the next couple days.....

trish
05-30-10, 04:21 PM
I hope he's ok. Apparently they can't stop playing it over and over again and again. Does that mean he's ok?

TKGAngel
05-30-10, 04:22 PM
Nasty wreck. The crowd and RHR were both lucky there.

dando
05-30-10, 04:23 PM
Ouch. :(

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-30-10, 04:33 PM
I feel like each launch is one step closer to someone leaving the playing field. :thumdown:

Versus had an Indy crashfest show on yesterday afternoon. Clicked in just in time to see a replay of Stan Fox and immediately checked out. :shakehead

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 04:34 PM
Cheeber........"lucky driver, good thing the cars are so safe". :mad: I agree with AJ...."****ing Cheever, that **********".

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 04:36 PM
fence crash.
:irked:

edit: just got into the lounge, put it on and caught the last 5.

and they've already announced the dude into the fence is fine. yet still isn't out of the car and has 8 workers round it. He'll quietly be downgraded to dead in the next couple days..... Yup, it just started.

trish
05-30-10, 04:39 PM
Bruno crashes out, Sarah doesn't finish, and Danica finishes 5th and highest of all female entrants. Plus Ganasty wins again. I've been duly punished for watching.

Edit: I thought it was a decent race. Not exciting or compelling but it was watchable and a good season ender.

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 04:46 PM
Bruno crashes out, Sarah doesn't finish, and Danica finishes 5th and highest of all female entrants. Plus Ganasty wins again. I've been duly punished for watching.

Floyd winning is a gift from God compared to Penske or anything to do with Whiney Mike finishing up front. And Ashley Judd looks like a hillbilly :yuck:. Sandy Andretti's hats were a 10 compared to Judd's Deliverance bucket.

TKGAngel
05-30-10, 04:52 PM
Marco is playing the "he pass me under yellow" card. PT should backhand him one for good measure.

Trevor Longman
05-30-10, 04:53 PM
Does anyone else find it a little bit eerie that they have said nothing, and I mean NOTHING, about the condition of RHR? :( They've just kept saying that Conway's fine but nothing about RHR. Honestly I think he has the better chance of being hurt than Conway with all that debris flying...

devilmaster
05-30-10, 04:55 PM
Yup, it just started.

Orthepedic injury, he will be stabalized there then flown to methodist because of traffic concerns. Oh yeah, he never lost conciousness. like ever. or once.

Any crowd injuries? nobody mentioned that.

Opposite Lock
05-30-10, 05:12 PM
r4CCWoF-DCU&feature

:eek:

Beccy Gordon was almost widowed by a headless RHR.

devilmaster
05-30-10, 05:13 PM
its up on youtube. some eagle eyed viewer realized that the bottom of the cockpit was gone and his legs were out in the open.

edit: opp lock beat me to it.

Oh and btw... as i watch it more... theres a f****** tyre bouncing around underneath the stands outside of the fence. :angry:

Methanolandbrats
05-30-10, 05:39 PM
A pole sliced the tub in half behind the roll hoop, lucky boy.

dando
05-30-10, 05:47 PM
SC highlight for the weekend....Tribe SP nailed by A-Rod or the last-lap wreck? :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

NismoZ
05-30-10, 07:54 PM
Flown to the hospital for evaluation, complaining of a left leg injury. Dude's lucky he HAS a left leg!

trish
05-30-10, 07:57 PM
According to Indycar.com, Paul Tracy won the race. http://indycar.com/

On the right of your screen.

Napoleon
05-30-10, 08:03 PM
Lets see if I have this right, we are using the "does anyone care about indy" thread to talk about how we watched indy?

TKGAngel
05-30-10, 08:11 PM
Lets see if I have this right, we are using the "does anyone care about indy" thread to talk about how we watched indy?

Yes. Irony's fun, isn't it?

What IRL tech geek is going to get beat for the PT web flub?

greenie
05-30-10, 08:12 PM
According to Indycar.com, Paul Tracy won the race. http://indycar.com/

On the right of your screen.

Classic!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

devilmaster
05-30-10, 08:13 PM

well, to be fair, we had a major last lap accident which could have been deadly. and its only warranted not even a full page of forum.... I think that tells everyone that we don't really care anymore.

Hell, I've posted a few posts myself and wouldn't have if I had a little more cleaning to do before i got to the hotel lounge.

SteveH
05-30-10, 08:26 PM
saved

http://i49.tinypic.com/287i6qg.jpg

Opposite Lock
05-30-10, 08:53 PM

'Zackly. :laugh:

Btw, great catch, Trish. :thumbup:

And nice save, Steve. ;)

Helio: He posted under yellow!

TKGAngel
05-30-10, 08:58 PM
ESPN also says that RHR is going to have surgery tomorrow (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing/indycar/news/story?id=5234478) after tearing ligaments in his thumb after tangling with Dixon in the pits.

trish
05-30-10, 09:04 PM
'Zackly. :laugh:

Btw, great catch, Trish. :thumbup:

And nice save, Steve. ;)

Helio: He posted under yellow!

Not my catch. Someone else brought it to my attention.

G.
05-30-10, 09:09 PM

I sincerely hope that they did it on purpose.

But that would be a smart thing to do, so....

devilmaster
05-30-10, 11:09 PM
from a brit news report....

the 'orthopedic injury' is now this:

"His injuries were last night described as “gruesome” and the man from Bromley in Kent faces a long fight back. Doctors believe Conway suffered a compound fracture of his left leg, as well as tearing ligaments and tendons in his knees and ankles."

Fio1
05-31-10, 01:08 AM
Conway is one lucky boy. This was a lot like the crash that killed Tony Renna. Amazing too that RHR didn't get nailed on the head. :shakehead

chop456
05-31-10, 01:32 AM
The only thing this had in common to Renna's crash was hitting the fence. As long as flying cars are a given, it'll continue to happen.

I saw about the last 15 laps of eggcitement. How long until the turn 3 grandstands are closed for the 500? :gomer:

What a joke.

TravelGal
05-31-10, 02:09 AM
Marco is playing the "he pass me under yellow" card. PT should backhand him one for good measure.

Seems to have worked for him though.

trish
05-31-10, 07:46 AM
A lady on another forum whose son went to the race said a few fans suffered minor injuries from the Conway crash debris.

High Sided
05-31-10, 08:54 AM
INJURED SPECTATORS: Two fans were taken to the hospital and treated for minor injuries after being struck by debris from the last-lap wreck. Parts of Mike Conway's car went flying when he and Ryan Hunter-Reay collided in Turn 4, sending his car upside down and into the catch fence.

One fan received stitches for a cut in his forehead, and another had a cut on his head that didn't need stitches.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hCkRn-cRe9cnSAKAaTa4PBWiBEQA

devilmaster
05-31-10, 11:54 AM
NSFW language

cmLpWcKukIM

High Sided
05-31-10, 12:40 PM
Conway was lucky to only "brake a leg". there was a big hole torn out of the bottom of his car from the fence impact you can see in the video replays. take a look at the fence/post damage in the 7th picture from this link...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/3756989/2010-Indianapolis-500/

devilmaster
05-31-10, 01:35 PM
HS, wait for it.....

latest update

Mike Conway has surgery on broken left leg, diagnosed with fractured vertebrae

By The Associated Press (CP) – 38 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS — IndyCar driver Mike Conway is recovering after undergoing surgery to repair his broken left leg from Sunday's horrific crash in the Indianapolis 500.

A spokeswoman for Conway's racing team also says Monday he has been diagnosed with a broken bone in his back.

The original announcement did not include the compression fracture in his back. Team officials have not said how many races Conway could miss for his Dreyer & Reinbold team.

Conway was injured on Lap 199 when Ryan Hunter-Reay's car was low on fuel and sputtered. Conway was going about 220 m.p.h. through the short chute between turns three and four, and couldn't avoid running into Hunter-Reay.

The contact sent Conway airborne and broke his car into two big pieces.

Elmo T
05-31-10, 01:44 PM
The fence looks far less substantial in that video DM found. :saywhat:

Luck - and nothing else - kept that from being a fatal accident to driver or spectator.

Methanolandbrats
05-31-10, 01:49 PM
The fence looks far less substantial in that video DM found. :saywhat:

Luck - and nothing else - kept that from being a fatal accident to driver or spectator.

Broken pole cut the tub in half behind the roll hoop, another foot forward and body parts everywhere. A fence redesign might be in order, it would be better to pitch the thing back onto the track than tear it to shreds in the grater. RHR is just as lucky to be alive.

STD
05-31-10, 01:52 PM
Gladly missing another year of the wreckin league...

Indy
05-31-10, 03:27 PM
It is a bit difficult for me now to believe that I ever really followed oval racing. I suppose I was able to suspend my conscience because I enjoyed it so much. That pretty much died with Greg in '99, but I still stubbornly held on to it after that even though deep down I was uncomfortable watching it.

Now it just looks like unnecessary carnage. They should call an end to the era of open wheel ovals, bulldoze IMS, and build a world class road course there for the continuation of the tradition.

nrc
05-31-10, 03:39 PM
Broken pole cut the tub in half behind the roll hoop, another foot forward and body parts everywhere. A fence redesign might be in order, it would be better to pitch the thing back onto the track than tear it to shreds in the grater. RHR is just as lucky to be alive.

Not to defend the crapwagons, but it's normal to break in half just aft of the driver's compartment. The engine is a stressed member and it just breaks off at the attachment points.

Elmo T
05-31-10, 04:12 PM
but it's normal to break in half just aft of the driver's compartment. The engine is a stressed member and it just breaks off at the attachment points.

Other than the damage to the floor of the tub, the shunt looked as I might expect.

The SAFER barrier works if they hit the wall. Fence design has to be next.

First and foremost MUST be the safety of the spectators. Double fencing of some sort? Nothing will be 100%.

For the drivers, how do we design a spectator safe fence that doesn't slice and dice the cars? Steel poles and flying cars don't mix.

A kevlar mesh with a tight weave that gives just enough but doesn't truly catch? But we still need something to hold it up. :confused:

The fact that there have been no serious injuries recently doesn't mean it is a safe design.

Gary
05-31-10, 05:01 PM
With cars that fly as high as those things, there is no fence design that will make their so-called racing safe.

Hard Driver
05-31-10, 05:48 PM
Other than the damage to the floor of the tub, the shunt looked as I might expect.

The SAFER barrier works if they hit the wall. Fence design has to be next.

First and foremost MUST be the safety of the spectators. Double fencing of some sort? Nothing will be 100%.

For the drivers, how do we design a spectator safe fence that doesn't slice and dice the cars? Steel poles and flying cars don't mix.

A kevlar mesh with a tight weave that gives just enough but doesn't truly catch? But we still need something to hold it up. :confused:

The fact that there have been no serious injuries recently doesn't mean it is a safe design.

But it seems like the fencing flexes or gives some until the poles which then don't flex. So the poles are doing the damage. A design where the poles are behind the fencing and hang over and then a cable is hung between the tops of all these poles where they hang over. Then run the fencing between the cable and the top of the wall so that as a car runs along the fence, it does not then catch a pole.

Fio1
05-31-10, 05:58 PM
With cars that fly as high as those things, there is no fence design that will make their so-called racing safe.

That's what happens when two open wheel cars touch wheels; one is going to take off. IRL, F.Fords, it doesn't matter. Luckily that doesn't happen too often on ovals. But, one of these days it will happen and the consequences will be tragic. Tracks like Texas, Michigan, California, etc are a lot more dangerous for this scenario then Indy.

Napoleon
05-31-10, 06:00 PM
Not to defend the crapwagons, but it's normal to break in half just aft of the driver's compartment. The engine is a stressed member and it just breaks off at the attachment points.

In fact to expand upon that if it breaks there suddenly the driver is in a part that weighs a whole lot less since it just loss 2 big hunks of medal and 2 tire/wheels and so has way less mass wrapped around him thus he is less likely to maintain his momentum.

NismoZ
05-31-10, 06:20 PM
Was wondering why Conway hit RHR at a much higher rate of speed. Did RHR run out of gas? Was he slowing because of something going on up ahead? Certainly Conway fans can't argue that he "wasn't given enough room." Most oval takeoffs are between cars at nearly the same speed. ('cept when Dario launched because he didn't realize a race was over.:shakehead) Looks to me like Conway was on his way into the wall anyway because of something going on behind RHR? ...(Check that, just saw the "fuel/sputtering" thing above. Makes much more sense now.)

EVL29
05-31-10, 06:28 PM
NSFW language

cmLpWcKukIM

The language doesn't bother me. The cheering does.

I realize that the race just ended so people around the track would be cheering but the ones where the wreck occured ,and the cameraman was,were also cheering and 'woot'ing.

Rather tasteless tbh.:shakehead

NismoZ
05-31-10, 06:31 PM
I think the cheering was for Coway when fans could see he was "conscious and alert". He even signals two thumbs up when being loaded in the ambulance. Big cheer then.

Trevor Longman
05-31-10, 06:41 PM
No there was definitely some cheering directly after the crash. Gomers have no taste...

Elmo T
05-31-10, 06:53 PM

I think there are two issues:

1. Keep the cars and debris out of the stands

2. Accomplishing #1 as safely as possible for the drivers

And I don't think it is solely an IRL problem. Yes, their cars have taken flight - happily not as frequently as in the past. The problem is the same for NASCAR.