PDA

View Full Version : A Loving Farewell to Our Champ

nrc
05-16-10, 12:18 AM
Please take a moment for a kind thought for our loving companion, Champ, who left us today.

Champ was the best dog in the world. Please don't tell our other two dogs. I think they know that it's true and that we don't love them any less for it. They have other ambitions anyway.

It seems hard to believe now that we went 13 years without a dog. I always had dogs growing up, but for a while they just didn't fit into our lives and we never really thought about it much.

When we were finally inspired by a friend to find a dog I naturally wanted to find a Manchester Terrier. My childhood dog, Jojo was a Toy Manchester and they seemed to me to be the perfect dogs. Smart and loyal, athletic but just as happy on the couch, not at all neurotic or noisy. When they bark there's usually a good reason.

It's also not a common breed so when we set out to find one we had to talk with breeders. Somehow we were fortunate enough to get in touch with a breeder who showed Manchesters who was also considering placing some of her non-show dogs for adoption. She was also planning to be in town soon to show one potential candidate.

We met "Omega Man" on the day he won his first and last championship point in the show ring. He was a beautiful dog with a perfect disposition but his imperfect toes and "tweener" status (too big for Toy, too small for standard) would prevent him from going far in the show ring.

We knew almost immediately that we would be thrilled to have this handsome boy with his wonderful disposition and we were happy that the breeder was soon willing to give him up to us for adoption. She encouraged us to pick a new "family" name in place of his show name. We chose "Champ" in honor of his championship point and the Buckeye's most recent Big Ten championship.

For the past 13 years Champ has been an integral member of our pack. A true balanced role model for both two and four legged pack members. He comforted us when we were sad and we cared for him when he was sick. When we were home, he rarely left our side. It's hard to believe that those years have passed so quickly.

We've been blessed to see Champ ease into his geriatric years as a fairly healthy, very happy dog. A heart murmur appeared but outside of a minor thyroid problem and skin issues we hoped to have him around for a while yet (17 years isn't unusual for a small Manchester).

Sadly it was not to be. We recently noticed that he had less energy and would no longer follow us every time we left the room. He'd wait a while to see if we were coming back. Stairs seemed to be problematic for him.

Our vet did some xrays and discovered that his spleen was greatly enlarged, probably with some kind of tumor. Because Champ had the heart murmur she recommended a cardiac check and then an ultrasound to get a better view of the spleen area.

We decided that if it appeared possible that the mass was limited to the spleen and that surgery alone could provide him with a good prospect for a longer, more comfortable life that we would do it. But at his age we weren't going to put him through months of misery just so that we could have him for a very short time longer.

Today we took Champ to the cardiologist who works out of an animal hospital and emergency care center. Tests showed that Champ was starting to show signs of heart disease with some fluid around his heart but that it was likely treatable. It could also have been contributing to his lethargy. His recommendation was to start treatment for the heart issue and come back in a week for an ultrasound to determine whether surgery was an option for his spleen.

He did make it clear that with masses on the spleen hemorrhaging was always a risk and advised us to watch for the symptoms.

We left the MedVet center with some hope. Maybe, just maybe, treating the heart issue would perk him up, maybe the ultrasound would show that only the spleen was involved, maybe we could have that out and Champ could be healthy and happy a while longer.

The sun was out, it was a beautiful day, and I swear Champ trotted out to the car like he thought he was in the show ring. Hope.

Just a few hours later Champ was resting comfortably when he jumped out of his bed and collapsed. Missy thought he was gone then and there. When I got into the room he was waking up. He was still with us, but clearly in distress. We rushed him back to to the MedVet center where tests determined that he likely was hemorrhaging from the mass in his spleen.

So our options where emergency surgery to remove the spleen or euthanasia. When an ultrasound revealed that there was also a mass on his liver our choice was clear. We would not put our boy through a major surgery and have him waste away probably without ever fully recovering.

Champ went to sleep for the last time today lying next to us on a couch. It wasn't our couch but I don't think he minded. He knew we were there for him.

I cannot tell you how much we will miss Champ. We love all our dogs, but Champ was first. He was special. He was a good boy. Rest in peace, buddy.

SteveH
05-16-10, 12:30 AM
A loving tribute, Richard. My condolences to you and Missy.

RaceGrrl
05-16-10, 12:32 AM
http://offcamber.net/photos/OurBoy.jpg

TravelGal
05-16-10, 01:44 AM
Aw darnit, I'm blubbering all over my keyboard.

Beautiful tribute, beautiful dog.

If it means anything at all, I think you made the right call.

Gnam
05-16-10, 03:44 AM
here's to Champ http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3781/beer.gif
...and his family.

:(

oddlycalm
05-16-10, 05:07 AM
Very sorry you lost your friend. :( Thanks for sharing the words and picture.

oc

KLang
05-16-10, 08:57 AM
Sorry for your loss.. :(

rosawendel
05-16-10, 09:11 AM
sorry to hear about your loss. i'm sure it was comforting to him to know that you were there, and comforting for you to have been there for him.

Don Quixote
05-16-10, 09:17 AM
Dang, sometimes I wish they could live forever. Thanks for sharing Richard and Missy. :(

trish
05-16-10, 09:18 AM
Sorry for you loss. Your post brings me to tears, and I've never been blessed with a pet. :(

dando
05-16-10, 10:02 AM
Sorry, boss & Missy. :(

-Kevin

G.
05-16-10, 10:49 AM
Very sorry for your loss. :(

extramundane
05-16-10, 11:10 AM
My thoughts are with you. :(

WickerBill
05-16-10, 11:14 AM
dammit. :(

Insomniac
05-16-10, 12:42 PM
So Sorry. :(

cameraman
05-16-10, 01:19 PM
Sorry for your loss. :(

TKGAngel
05-16-10, 01:25 PM
Sorry for your loss. What a beautiful dog. :(

Indy
05-16-10, 01:57 PM
I am not a dog owner now, but I buried a few when I was younger. It never got any easier, and that is a tribute to their kind and loving spirits. My condolences to you and your family.

devilmaster
05-16-10, 02:04 PM
A touching tribute bosses.

grungex
05-16-10, 11:07 PM
Oh man, so so sorry... :cry:

indyfan31
05-17-10, 12:10 AM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your boy.
It's good to know he gave your so many years of happiness.

chop456
05-17-10, 01:01 AM
Always sorry to hear this news.

Winston Wolfe
05-17-10, 09:51 AM
sounds like he was a great pet and family member, Boss.
Truly sad for your loss....

Sean Malone
05-17-10, 09:58 AM
My sincere condolences nrc and racegrrl. Thank you for sharing.

reading through pages of quotes about the lose of a pet, they seem a bit cliche, even if well intentioned. This one has stuck with me over the years...(forgive it's chauvinism Missy); "Old men miss many dogs".

ChampcarShark
05-17-10, 10:14 AM
My sincere condolences nrc and racegrrl.

Elmo T
05-17-10, 10:58 AM
:(:(

So sorry.

Our hearts till ache from the loss of our 3 cats - all within 2 years. Reading this doesn't discourage me though, it only makes me want to stop off at the SCPA on my way home. :)

Ozarkian
05-17-10, 12:07 PM
A wonderful tribute to your family member and friend. Condolences for your loss.

BarillaGirl
05-17-10, 12:51 PM
What a wonderful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(:(

BZSetshot
05-17-10, 12:51 PM
Perfect tribute. Made me want to have met him. I am so sorry for your loss...

Ankf00
05-17-10, 02:06 PM

that was/is one good looking pack you had/have.

TrueBrit
05-17-10, 08:51 PM
So sorry for your loss...someone once said something along the lines of I wish I was half the person my dog thinks I am...they are truly special friends...

nrc
05-17-10, 10:10 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts. Just "talking" about it was therapeutic. I know that many of you have suffered through similar losses and understand how we're feeling.

Classic Apex
05-18-10, 04:20 PM
Doggies rule.

Sorry for your loss.

Anteater
05-20-10, 11:00 PM
What a beautiful dog--my deepest condolences on the loss of Champ. :(

I'll go hug my puppy now.

pchall
05-20-10, 11:42 PM
Sad news. :(