PDA

View Full Version : Speedvision's back! On the internet...

Trevor Longman
05-10-10, 09:47 PM
Speed Channel, in an attempt to win back the road racing audience they've systematically driven away over the last decade by launching Speed2, a broadband on-demand internet service. Its amazing the initial lineup they've put together. The only problem is I can't see myself watching TV on my computer. I don't see why they can't just put all this on TV as a 2nd channel. It wouldn't cost too much more than what they're actually doing. It will be nice to see this stuff in the US again though. Here's the press release:

NEW BROADBAND NETWORK SPEED2™ SET TO LAUNCH SUMMER 2010

MORE THAN A DOZEN INTERNATIONAL RACING SERIES SLATED FOR INAUGURAL ONLINE LINEUP

SPEED2, a groundbreaking new broadband network featuring live, streaming events that will complement the tremendous offerings of the linear SPEED network, is set to launch Summer 2010, it was announced today by SPEED President Hunter Nickell.

A beta version of SPEED2 will be available in June 2010 with a wider consumer debut targeted for July. Available only to SPEED subscribers as an authenticated online network, SPEED2 also will provide a variety of video-on-demand international motor sports content and compelling automotive and motorcycle enthusiast programming.

“NASCAR, the most popular form of motor sports in North America, is the foundation and top priority of the linear network,” Nickell said. “Developing SPEED2 provides a dedicated platform for a wider variety of racing, including some of the coolest international events from tracks around the world.”

Magazine shows, such as Motorsports Mundial and Inside Grand Prix, will be featured on SPEED2, and the network’s more than a dozen international racing series includes the Time Trial Xtreme Grand Prix (TTXGP), a race featuring zero-carbon, clean-emission motorcycles. Following is an initial list of the races scheduled exclusively for SPEED2:

• FIA GT1 and GT3 (World and European Championship Touring Car Racing Series)
• German Touring Car (DTM)
• World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)
• Intercontinental Rally
• British Touring Car Championship (BTCC)
• FIM Motocross World Championship (All-Terrain Motorcycle Racing)
• FIM Supermoto World Championship (Motorcross and Off-Road Racing)
• FIM Enduro World Championship (Long Distance Off-Road Motorcycle Racing)
• Nürburgring 24 (Touring Car Endurance Racing)
• Formula 2 (Open Wheel Formula Racing)
• F3 Euroseries (European Open Wheel Developmental Racing Series)
• VW Scirocco Cup (German Single-Make Racing Series)
• TTXGP

“SPEED2 will be at the cutting edge of new media programming,” said Mike Biard, Executive Vice President, Fox Networks Affiliate Sales and Marketing. “Our distributors have been seeking more online content to complement their video offerings, and this network will deliver what drives viewership—exclusive live events and dramatic action—all in an authenticated online environment.”

Both standard and high-definition content will be provided on SPEED2, and the broadband network will also have access to an extensive programming library from SPEED’s 14 years on the air, including the popular series American Muscle Car, Behind the Headlights, Back in the Day and Victory by Design.

Anteater
05-10-10, 10:03 PM
Those are some cool series; thanks for posting this.

Add Formula Nippon and Brazilian Formula Truck, and I'm there for sure! :D:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
05-10-10, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up. :) This is probably a first step towards getting away from all cabs, all the time. Too hard to launch a new channel and get cable systems to carry it.

chop456
05-10-10, 11:09 PM
I can dig it.

Michaelhatesfans
05-11-10, 01:05 AM
DTM and BTCC:thumbup:

High Sided
05-11-10, 04:41 AM
between this news an the F1 app i think the ipad is going to be in my future.
I3fXm7SOeFg

Rus'L
05-11-10, 08:52 AM
Speed Channel, in an attempt to win back the road racing audience they've systematically driven away over the last decade by launching Speed2, a broadband on-demand internet service. Its amazing the initial lineup they've put together. The only problem is I can't see myself watching TV on my computer. I don't see why they can't just put all this on TV as a 2nd channel. It wouldn't cost too much more than what they're actually doing. It will be nice to see this stuff in the US again though. Here's the press release:

If they put it on cable, the chances of your local cable company picking it up are very slim, and if they do, it will probably be on a premium package.

I hear what you are saying, but this is the wave of the future. More and more, nice flat screen monitors are coming with computers or are cheap enough to buy. Also, more and more interfaces are being built in to hook a laptop output to your TV.

I mentioned to my wife the other day that if it weren't for my need to watch F1 and ALMS (thus needing SPEED), we would dump cable. I can watch any original cable show that I or my wife enjoy on the Internet through their respective websites. Even network shows are available on the web. Even sports can now be watched through the Internet. Many teams like the Yankees offer subscriptions to watch every game live on the Internet.

This is why Comcast bought NBC -- the future is not in delivery but in content. And a lot of that content is going to be delivered through the Internet.

Yes, I enjoy watching shows on my TV rather than my computer, but as video systems get better and better, the difference will no longer be noticeable.

The key question is how much this is all going to cost the consumer? The cable free shows available on the web will probably start costing money eventually. And the sports content is already costing a fee. How much is this SPEED2 going to cost to subscribe? I haven't seen any figures, yet.

Elmo T
05-11-10, 09:19 AM
And a lot of that content is going to be delivered through the Internet.

I am not a techie-geek type, but even I've dipped my toe in the water here.

Mrs. Elmo missed a favorite show a few months back. I checked out the Hulu website and found it there. The new laptop has an HDMI port, I connected the laptop to the big TV and streamed the show through my wireless interconnection. It actually worked amazing well.

I am not at the point of doing this on a daily basis, but I know it is on its way.

devilmaster
05-11-10, 10:21 AM
When I first opened the restaurant, I called to hook up cable and since the building was not serviced, they wanted me to front the cost of servicing it.

Since I naturally refused, I decided to just stream whatever I want.

It will be at a point, in the not too distant future, that no one will just 'watch' whats on tv. everything will be streamed. You'll watch it when you want to watch it. Even now, ahem, I can stream almost any baseball game I want live in house.

Especially with the news report out for the past couple days that they've finished developing a new wireless speed that could technically stream an entire movie in just 1-2 minutes... :D

But obviously, the hurdles are amazing. technically, TIVO and its like will be gone - why would you need a recorder when you can just dload and stream the show you missed at any time? What about every movie ever made - they're all available. This will drastically change how we view entertainment. Who will pay if you stream a tv show with commercials and not watch them? It'll get out soon enough that if most people FF through the commercials, prices for spots should go drastically down.

Take the old 'race director' one step further. At a sporting event, you can stream all feeds and decide which one you want to watch. You be the director. Wanna watch that heavyweight hockey fight from all angles? Now you can.

I know this is the wave of the future. I honestly can't wait for it to get here.

Rus'L
05-11-10, 12:18 PM
Who will pay if you stream a tv show with commercials and not watch them? It'll get out soon enough that if most people FF through the commercials, prices for spots should go drastically down.

Right now, any show you stream on the respective show's website forces you to watch the commercials. You can't skip over them. Even when you want to jump in the middle of a show, it automatically plays the commercial at the closest previous break before allowing you to watch the show from the point you chose.

I don't know what happens if you can download that stream and store it on your computer. I suspect they will find a way to force feed the commercials. Which might be okay if it keeps the costs down for the consumer. Plus, right now, there are a lot fewer commercial breaks if you watch a show on the Internet than on your TV.

Of course, one thing you didn't mention in your very accurate post are copyright issues. The music industry went through this whole upheaval with napstar. Now, the broadcast/sports world is about to deal with it.

devilmaster
05-11-10, 12:50 PM
Of course, one thing you didn't mention in your very accurate post are copyright issues. The music industry went through this whole upheaval with napstar. Now, the broadcast/sports world is about to deal with it.

The elephant in the room.

For them, its not 'how can we make sure we make our money here', its 'how can we make a mint here.' And i'm not faulting them for it, its the way.

Perhaps my vision is a little too utopian, but i still believe that freedom of information, driven by the net, will end many things we consider standard in this world. Its already happening in fact.

I believe now, as I believed with Napster way back when, that traditional industries like music (and now motion picture and tv) will be forced to change the way they do business. And as people become more learned about their own options, they will figure out how to circumvent the new ways these industries try to collect money. And I believe, in time, that copywrite, as we know it, will become a thing of the past.

Steve99
05-11-10, 03:12 PM
http://newteevee.com/2010/05/10/speed2-no-nascar-but-also-no-free-ride/

SPEED2 will initially only be available to viewers who subscribe to Speed through Time Warner Cable.

I wish they'd have some kind of cable-on-demand service for these types of racing. I'd much rather watch them on my big-screen than on a computer, and so far I've avoided having a computer in the entertainment center.

Gnam
05-11-10, 03:42 PM
It's a trick. Get people to sign up by offering the Wide World of Motorsport, then when it's up an running and all the bugs are worked out and everyone likes it, they'll start replacing racing content with entertainment content. :p

Indy
05-11-10, 09:07 PM
SPEED2 will initially only be available to viewers who subscribe to Speed through Time Warner Cable.

No way I am getting cable in order to stream crappy broadcasts on the internet.

Since the death of Champ Car, I have found better uses for my time. Other than nostalgia forums and F1, racing has limited appeal for me.

Fio1
05-11-10, 11:31 PM
Most of those races are available on www.justin.tv or on the series web-site. Check out www.gt1world.com for example!

But, that is a cool idea, except for the time warner crap. wtf? :rolleyes:

espn3.com is my favorite for nba, soccer, rugby & aussie rules footie.

No way I am getting cable in order to stream crappy broadcasts on the internet.

Since the death of Champ Car, I have found better uses for my time. Other than nostalgia forums and F1, racing has limited appeal for me.

Check justin for streams of CART & old F1 races.

extramundane
05-12-10, 08:29 AM
But, that is a cool idea, except for the time warner crap. wtf? :rolleyes:

Part of the settlement of that whole TWC/Fox dustup a few months ago, apparently.

cameraman
05-12-10, 12:12 PM
So if you live in an area where Time Warner Cable does not exist you are SOL?

(lucky about the cable but SOL about Speed2)

extramundane
05-12-10, 12:32 PM
So if you live in an area where Time Warner Cable does not exist you are SOL?

(lucky about the cable but SOL about Speed2)

For now, yes. From this article (http://www.multichannel.com/article/452414-Time_Warner_Cable_To_Launch_Speed2_On_Broadband.ph p):

Speed network is launching an authenticated broadband channel - Speed2 - starting with Time Warner Cable and adding other affiliates as deals are completed by Fox Networks Group. The agreement with Time Warner Cable to be the first launch partner arose from negotiations that led to January's new agreement in January for carriage of the Fox broadcast and cable networks, officials said.

The June launch of a "beta" service will be in Charlotte, N.C. Starting in July, it will be ready for a wider launch. On TWC, the rollout is expected to occur on a market by market basis, Speed officials said.

patski
05-12-10, 12:50 PM
For now, yes. From this article (http://www.multichannel.com/article/452414-Time_Warner_Cable_To_Launch_Speed2_On_Broadband.ph p):

Its possibly like ESPN360 where your IP must pay to allow access to it. Mine does not!

Gnam
05-12-10, 02:48 PM
This is why Comcast bought NBC -- the future is not in delivery but in content. And a lot of that content is going to be delivered through the Internet.

The way they setup their winter Olympics coverage online was annoying.
The frontier is being fenced in.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-10, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure what SPEED is up to, but it can't be good.

extramundane
05-12-10, 03:23 PM
The way they setup their winter Olympics coverage online was annoying.

And that's exactly the model Speed's using for Speed2.

Good thing my sock tethers are still in good working order after all these years.

SteveH
05-12-10, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure what SPEED is up to, but it can't be good.

$$$$$$$ is what they are up to.

Once they get you hooked, you're going to have to pay.

Methanolandbrats
05-12-10, 04:57 PM

Pay who? More to cable each month, pay per view to SPEED, monthly subscription to SPEED?

Don Quixote
05-12-10, 05:08 PM

I think you have it right there. Advertisers won't pay squat for programing like this, they would be lucky to pull a 0.05 rating. So the only way they can squeeze a buck out of the deal is to find a couple hundred thousand people to pay a few $ a month for the extra channel.

SteveH
05-12-10, 05:14 PM
Pay who? More to cable each month, pay per view to SPEED, monthly subscription to SPEED?

Yep, at some point it will be subscription only. You'll have to log in on the website to view the videos. I don't have an issue with that if its priced fairly and the content is diverse enough to hold my interest. If it becomes Son of NASCAR, then not so much.