PDA

View Full Version : No F-Duct or Doube Diffuser next year

Hard Driver
05-10-10, 09:12 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/83502

Personally I think these are both good thing. The F-Duct just seems kinda cheesey. I mean when you have Alonso blocking some hole with the back of his hand instead of steering...

The double diffuser also seems to be a perversion of the rules. I can see where it is like the F-Duct, that it was a "clever" interpretation of the rules so hats off to the team that implements it first. But that this kind of stuff should be short lived if it is realy circumventing the spirtit of the rules and adds nothing to the sport.

opinionated ow
05-10-10, 09:22 AM
See I actually disagree with banning these sort of things. Technical innovation is what F1 is supposed to be about. It's not like it is a safety issue. As far as I care it is time they just softened up all the rules. Let them design racing cars not reliable tanks.

Steve99
05-10-10, 02:58 PM
I like how the other teams are making a big deal of the fact that Ferrari's F-duct system requires the driver to move his hand slightly off the wheel. Have they never seen a racecar with a gear shift lever, or did they think the lever just magically moved on its own?

Rogue Leader
05-10-10, 03:25 PM
I like how the other teams are making a big deal of the fact that Ferrari's F-duct system requires the driver to move his hand slightly off the wheel. Have they never seen a racecar with a gear shift lever, or did they think the lever just magically moved on its own?

I was thinking the same thing... they are whining about him taking his hands off the wheel (on a straightaway no less) when cars from the 80's had twice the horsepower and a quarter of the safety equipment, and a transmission you had to row yourself. And outside of F1 practically everyone else still uses that shift lever (even Crapwagons only recently switched a couple years ago).

Sean Malone
05-10-10, 03:27 PM
My biggest problem with it is its stupid name.

Elmo T
05-10-10, 03:33 PM
I like that they didn't change mid-season. It wasn't a rules violation this year so everyone is free to install it or not.

High Sided
05-10-10, 03:45 PM
i love it when cars show up with new little tricks that stretch the rules or end up creating new ones. the f-duct made for better tv this weekend and interesting design changes to the cars. remember a few years back when everyone came up with tower wing thingies? i think jordon was the first. though gaudy as hell it was just as fun watching the teams create their own versions before they were banned. it's things like these that separate F1 from the rest.

Fio1
05-10-10, 07:10 PM

:rofl:

They should have never allowed such a thing. It's a moveable aero device, wtf? :shakehead

SteveH
05-10-10, 09:16 PM
:rofl:

They should have never allowed such a thing. It's a moveable aero device, wtf? :shakehead

front wings have been just that for two seasons now

chop456
05-11-10, 02:33 AM

Agreed. They should combine "F" and "Duct" to simplify things. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-11-10, 03:41 PM
I always thought that creating, then subsequently banning, new technology and innovation was the sole reason F1 was created in the first place. ;) That's certainly how the last 40+ seasons have played out and we've been well entertained in the process.

The only negative I can see is that we didn't have HDTV on the scene when the 6 wheel Tyrrel P34 gridded up at the Spanish GP in 1976 :D

Other notable innovations like the front wheel ejection system tested by Toro Rosso at the recent Shanghai race also provide us with reminders of what it is like to try and fail spectacularly. :gomer:

oc

Opposite Lock
05-11-10, 07:27 PM
Other notable innovations like the front wheel ejection system tested by Toro Rosso at the recent Shanghai race also provide us with reminders of what it is like to try and fail spectacularly. :gomer:

oc

:laugh:

pchall
05-11-10, 07:50 PM
Agreed. They should combine "F" and "Duct" to simplify things. :thumbup:

Many llamas to you, sir!

Indy
05-11-10, 09:26 PM

Vaguely reproductive sounding, isn't it?