PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ernie Harwell

dando
05-05-10, 09:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5163285

Lost his battle with cancer @ 92. A true classic. :( I f you never got to hear him do a Tigers game on the radio, you really missed a treat. Windmill guy and I were just talking about him yesterday @ a ball game. Freaky.

-Kevin

devilmaster
05-05-10, 12:02 PM
Gr0T9c8SEUk

paWJl3qpUIM

Thank you, Ernie.

dando
05-05-10, 12:36 PM
Branch Rickey traded a catcher for him when Red Barber became ill, which eventually led to Vin taking over announcer duties for the Dodgers. Sadly, we've now lost Buck, Harry, Rizzo and Kalas, and Vin is hanging up the mic after this season. :cry: Not to mention Ueck's recent heart surgery. :(

-Kevin

Don Quixote
05-05-10, 01:03 PM
Ernie was great. Listened to him many a hot summer night on my transistor radio. I would add Joe Nuxhall to Dando's list also. RIP. :(

TravelGal
05-05-10, 01:14 PM
West Coast fans will add Jerry Coleman to the list of most excellent baseball announcers nearing the end of their career. He knows baseball! And his stories of the Yankees in the 1950's enliven many a Padres broadcast.

dando
05-05-10, 01:18 PM
I would add Joe Nuxhall to Dando's list also. RIP. :(

Aye. I was focused more on the play-by-play guys...as I said yesterday: "This is the old left-hander, rounding third and heading for home." :( Now they have Brantley doing some cowboy drawl crap on the Reds broadcasts. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-05-10, 03:20 PM
Great memories and a class guy :thumbup: Ernie Harwell and George Kell were as different as night and day but both were great at what they did and were always present during baseball season when I was growing up. My mother was the big baseball fan in the family so the games were always on the radio and in later years the TV if she was going to be in one place long enough.

oc