PDA

View Full Version : Don't taze me bro: The Thread

Michaelhatesfans
05-04-10, 12:24 PM
Since this happens all the time... Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not.

Anyway, this one has me conflicted. If you don't want trouble, don't jump the fence. Then again, there are a lot of reasons to taze someone, I'm just not sure "I'm too fat to chase this kid" is the best one.:\

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts__53/ept_sports_mlb_experts-884660126-1272955782.jpg?ymHeVFDDOXzOlO9q

Methanolandbrats
05-04-10, 12:28 PM
When people make runs like that, the players and cops don't know what they are up to or if they are armed. It's best to drop them quickly in a non-lethal way.

Elmo T
05-04-10, 12:41 PM
It's Philly - a little zap, meh. He got off easy. ;)

devilmaster
05-04-10, 12:48 PM
The only issue I have in all of this, is that people keep saying tasers are 'non-lethal'. People have died in taser incidents.

How would it have played out in PR if the kid went into cardiac arrest and required CPR on the field?

As i usually listen to sportstalk when i'm out and about, I've heard alot today about it. Many callers were saying a taser was warranted. Fair enough, but hopefully be prepared to face the music if the taser does more harm than good.

The best i've ever heard about tasers and the like (rubber bullets, bean bags) is that a cop buddy corrected someone in a conversation, saying they were 'less lethal' instead of 'non-lethal'.

Methanolandbrats
05-04-10, 01:18 PM
The only issue I have in all of this, is that people keep saying tasers are 'non-lethal'. People have died in taser incidents.

How would it have played out in PR if the kid went into cardiac arrest and required CPR on the field?

As i usually listen to sportstalk when i'm out and about, I've heard alot today about it. Many callers were saying a taser was warranted. Fair enough, but hopefully be prepared to face the music if the taser does more harm than good.

The best i've ever heard about tasers and the like (rubber bullets, bean bags) is that a cop buddy corrected someone in a conversation, saying they were 'less lethal' instead of 'non-lethal'.You are correct, "less lethal" is a better way to put it. But what do these morons expect when they run on the field, at the very least they will get a good ass kicking and be arrested. I'd rather have them zapped than see some nut stab a player or ump.

Steve99
05-04-10, 01:29 PM
I don't know anything about this incident other than from this thread, but if he was just running around on the field, then I think a Taser was excessive.

When they started issuing Tasers to cops, the justification was that it was a less-lethal option to stop a dangerous person. In other words, an alternative to shooting someone. If that officer in the picture hadn't had a Taser, would he be pulling a gun on the guy? I sure hope not.

TrueBrit
05-04-10, 01:35 PM
A little more time on the treadmill, a couple of dozen fewer doughnuts and the polite intelligent gentleman wouldn't have had to zap the kid...

Bottom line, tazers are like catnip for the more rotund members of the porcine gangs and are used far too frequently..

devilmaster
05-04-10, 01:50 PM
You are correct, "less lethal" is a better way to put it. But what do these morons expect when they run on the field, at the very least they will get a good ass kicking and be arrested. I'd rather have them zapped than see some nut stab a player or ump.

I agree to an extent, especially with the incident of the father and son who took on 1st base coach Gamboa.

To be honest there is no right answer here. Cops are taught that its split second decisions, and they have to make a choice based on the situation at hand. I'm sure, that at sometime in their training, they're also told that their actions based on that situation could come with dire consequences.

The other truth here is that if someone truly wants to injure a player, coach and the like, there is really no stopping them. You plan for all eventualities, but are forced to react to their first move. You hope that your response is the right one, and you hope you stop their actions. Beyond that, its all fodder for everyone at the water cooler.

Gnam
05-04-10, 02:31 PM
There have been two incidents in California where a LEO meant to use his taser but pulled his firearm instead and killed someone.

The taser has replaced several submission techniques that have been banned like choke holds and night sticks. Back in the day there were several ways to 'encourage' cooperation without using a lethal weapon. Now, the taser is just the modern PC version of going upside someone's head with a rubber hose.

Napoleon
05-04-10, 02:34 PM
Here is how you handle this situation (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2180596/greek_superleague_pao_asteras_tripolis_player_tack les_streak/)

Gnam
05-04-10, 02:46 PM
Did they give 14 a yellow card for stopping that moron? :shakehead

No good deed goes unpunished.

Napoleon
05-04-10, 02:54 PM
Did they give 14 a yellow card for stopping that moron?

And the funniest part about that was the other teams players appeared to be arguing with the refs about it as well as 14s teammates.

oddlycalm
05-04-10, 03:24 PM
There have been two incidents in California where a LEO meant to use his taser but pulled his firearm instead and killed someone.
Makes me wonder if they have taken out any urinals....? :gomer:

oc

Elmo T
05-04-10, 03:28 PM
The best i've ever heard about tasers and the like (rubber bullets, bean bags) is that a cop buddy corrected someone in a conversation, saying they were 'less lethal' instead of 'non-lethal'.

That is the politically correct term now.

I won't second guess the PD. The cop will have to justify his decision - both to this superiors and in the inevitable lawsuit.

EDIT: Here is the boss's view: Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey reviewed video of the arrest and felt the officer acted within department guidelines, which allow officers to use Tasers to arrest fleeing suspects, said the spokesman, Lt. Frank Vanore. The department’s internal affairs unit is investigating, Vanore said. (http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times/courier_times_news_details/article/2463/2010/may/04/phillys-top-cop-stands-behind-the-officer-who-tasered-fan.html)

Reality is: #1 Cop did not get hurt; #2 no civilians were injured; #3 bad guy in custody.

That cop's first job is to make sure he goes home at the end of the shift.

devilmaster
05-04-10, 04:32 PM
That is the politically correct term now.

It may be PC, (and I usually abhor anything PC) but it is a more correct description.

datachicane
05-04-10, 04:45 PM

oc

:rofl:

Opposite Lock
05-04-10, 06:17 PM
"I thought this thread was going to be aboot me."
\
http://www.saljbarry.com/hockey/autographs/cards/2007-2008/blackhawks/toews.jpg

Indy
05-05-10, 01:36 AM
Oink oink.

cameraman
05-05-10, 01:37 AM
You are correct, "less lethal" is a better way to put it.

Well the local gendarmes have killed three people in Utah in the past year or so with Tasers, so "less lethal" is just plain accurate.

Rogue Leader
05-05-10, 08:53 AM
I agree with the cops here and always in the use of a taser. They don't know if this guy has a gun or knife and in this day and age you can never tell. Look at the NYC car bomb suspect, looked like a normal guy with a wife and kid. When you decide to do something wrong then IMO you give up some part of your rights to be safely apprehended. The cops have to chase you putting them in danger (in a car chase situation other drivers as well), they could be injured or killed in a bad fall. You don't want to be tased... don't be stupid.

Everyone should remember and live by, as Chris Rock said..

"If the cops gotta come get ya... guaranteed they're bringing an ass kicking with them"

Elmo T
05-05-10, 08:59 AM
Another bozo went over the wall last night. :rolleyes: No tasers.

Read all about the fun here and cast your vote too.

http://www.philly.com/ - Link is to front page loaded with taser fun this AM.

And cast your vote here (http://www.philly.com/philly/polls/92803649.html).

dando
05-05-10, 01:49 PM
Hey, it's Philly...coulda been worse:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-11-philadelphia-bombing_x.htm

City of Brotherly Love my @ss.

:gomer: :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-05-10, 02:36 PM
MOVE - :saywhat:

Bombing your residents is never a good idea and the fact that children were in there :( . Otherwise, that was a confrontation brought on by MOVE itself. How do you expect the fire department to extinguish a fire when folks are shooting at you. :saywhat:

Remember, the first MOVE confrontation saw a police officer shot and killed plus injuries to numerous other PD and FF.

dando
05-05-10, 02:42 PM
MOVE - :saywhat:

Bombing your residents is never a good idea and the fact that children were in there :( . Otherwise, that was a confrontation brought on by MOVE itself. How do you expect the fire department to extinguish a fire when folks are shooting at you. :saywhat:

Remember, the first MOVE confrontation saw a police officer shot and killed plus injuries to numerous other PD and FF.

I'm not bashing the Philly FD or defending MOVE...this was Waco WAY before Waco. Just pointing out that the Philly PD has a history of being a bit over the top, as have Philly fans (the jail in Vet stadium, fat man over the glass in FU arena, cheering Michael Irvin's injury, booing Santa Clause, etc.).

-Kevin

Steve99
05-05-10, 02:51 PM
the officer acted within department guidelines, which allow officers to use Tasers to arrest fleeing suspects
Interesting. It sounds like the guidelines are shifting to allow more use of Tasers.

Elmo T
05-05-10, 03:08 PM
Just pointing out that the Philly PD has a history of being a bit over the top, as have Philly fans (the jail in Vet stadium, fat man over the glass in FU arena, cheering Michael Irvin's injury, booing Santa Clause, etc.).

-Kevin

Overly sensitive on my part, the MOVE anniversary is coming up and the hand wringing will begin again. :rolleyes:

Your list seems accurate, but you left out throwing batteries, throwing snowballs, booing the bad guys, booing the good guys, the dude intentionally (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100416_At_Phils_game__spit_happens__Vomit__too.h tml) barfing on a little girl (that's a tazing in my book - it was a cop's kid, dude is very lucky), various fights and muggings in the parking lots.

dando
05-05-10, 03:44 PM
Overly sensitive on my part, the MOVE anniversary is coming up and the hand wringing will begin again. :rolleyes:

Your list seems accurate, but you left out throwing batteries, throwing snowballs, booing the bad guys, booing the good guys, the dude intentionally (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100416_At_Phils_game__spit_happens__Vomit__too.h tml) barfing on a little girl (that's a tazing in my book - it was a cop's kid, dude is very lucky), various fights and muggings in the parking lots.

Dude is an NJtard...whatcha expect? :gomer: :saywhat: If that were me, I'd be doing time right now. :mad: :eek:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
05-05-10, 05:17 PM
Sparky Anderson once said that Phillies fans would boo a cure for cancer. :laugh:

oddlycalm
05-05-10, 05:30 PM
Sparky Anderson once said that Phillies fans would boo a cure for cancer. :laugh:
The only reason that's funny is because it's true. :D

oc

Mr. Vengeance
05-06-10, 09:09 AM
"You're fixin' to get lit up"...

4-fZquRZigU

(it's probably a fake but what the hey)

Michaelhatesfans
05-07-10, 03:12 AM
Sorry, ever since Mad Men, riding lawn mowers give me the creeps.:o

emjaya
05-07-10, 07:12 AM
Not sure you would be zapped running onto a pitch in Australia, just tackled by police and security guards and stuck with a $5000 to $7000 fine.

Elmo T
05-07-10, 08:52 AM
Some mildly Not Safe for Work language -

The joke making the rounds here in Philly is that this will be shown on the screens at the start of every game, followed by footage of the dude getting zapped on the field.

bE1OFLW-0h8

Elmo T
05-07-10, 09:32 AM

Something else making the rounds today:

http://i39.tinypic.com/99l7bl.jpg

dando
05-07-10, 09:45 AM
Something else making the rounds today:

In all honesty, I made it to one sporting even in Philly to the new ballpark, and the fans were normal as best as I could tell. Of course it was an afternoon game and Bonds wasn't playing so perhaps they weren't drunk enough and the hate factor was missing.

-Kevin

Elmo T
05-07-10, 09:49 AM
and the fans were normal as best as I could tell.
-Kevin

Shhhhh - there is a reputation to uphold. ;)

dando
05-07-10, 10:19 AM
Shhhhh - there is a reputation to uphold. ;)

I can only imagine what an NFL crowd is like in Philly, having been to a number of games in Cincy. I would never take my girls to an NFL game. Suffice it to say that nrc and Missy are the exception and not the norm in PBS. I'll never forget going to a Browns/Bengals game several years ago (which ended up like 50-45 Who Deys), and watching a scrawny dude clad in Browns swag exiting the upper deck with his Pooh-sized other half while she was rubbing her middle finger on her tongue @ the Bengals fans. :eek: :saywhat: All I could say was I'm sorry you have to go home with her. :gomer:

-Kevin

Opposite Lock
05-10-10, 11:16 PM

oc

Well played, sir. :thumbup:

(semi-related):

http://www.toonpool.com/user/571/files/superman_47185.jpg

:D

Napoleon
05-11-10, 06:29 AM
I'll never forget going to a Browns/Bengals game several years ago (which ended up like 50-45 Who Deys), and watching a scrawny dude clad in Browns swag exiting the upper deck with his Pooh-sized other half while she was rubbing her middle finger on her tongue @ the Bengals fans.

Hey, that was me!

Elmo T
05-25-10, 03:43 PM
Pukemon Pleads Guilty to Vomit Assault (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Puking-Phillies-Fan-Guilty-94834114.html)

I wonder just how he got that black eye in the mugshot?? ;)