PDA

View Full Version : Mattresses

cameraman
05-01-10, 02:12 PM
Okay, I've put this off for a decade or so but the time has come. I must buy a new mattress set. I think I'd actually prefer to get my teeth drilled

How the holy hell does one choose a mattress?
The Donald Trump line for Sertas:rolleyes::saywhat:
Foams?

You have to love how Consumer Reports has chickened out and they just don't do mattresses:shakehead

dando
05-01-10, 03:19 PM
IMO, mattress choices are very subjective. Sleep Comfort, Temper-Pedic, Serta, or our local Mattress Factory. :confused: My only advice is to get one that you can try out for a period of time and return it if you don't like it. There's just no way to properly test out a new mattress in a store. :irked:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
05-01-10, 03:35 PM
Kevin is right about try before you buy. This is kinda like what is the most comfortable chair totally subjective. About the only thing solid I can offer is that I like memory foam, though not enough to pay the price Temperpedic wants.

oc

stroker
05-01-10, 05:09 PM
I've heard that while the "foam" mattresses are very comfy they're very warm and don't dissipate body heat at all. In fact they retain it very well, giving the metaphorical effect of sleeping on a frying pan. If you try to even out the heat with blankets you roast, otherwise you freeze above the mattress and fry where you're in contact with the mattress.

Just what I've heard.

I wish somebody would come out with a line of mattresses for we "gravitationally challenged" folks...

TravelGal
05-01-10, 05:09 PM
For us, "transferrence" (sp?) was a big deal. That's where one sleeper doesn't feel the movements of the other one. Bouncing, tossing and turning, restless leg, getting up in the middle of the night, that sort of stuff.

Previous mattress was bought at the local outlet. Serviceable but basically uncomfortable for about 15 years. Only about half the price but we decided, as the bones age, that it was too big a price to pay in poor nights' sleep.

We went to Sit 'N Sleep and felt like Goldilocks. This one is too soft; this one is too hard. The second we lay on the one we bought, we both loved it. I mean, if you hate it in the store, odds are it's not going to grow on you. Wound up paying what I thought was a LOT but have not regretted it in the two years since.

Edit: And we did notice a huge difference in the quality of our sleep.

G.
05-01-10, 05:21 PM
We're in the same boat as cameraman. Don't even know where to begin.

What brand did you buy?
Would you buy that brand again?

WickerBill
05-01-10, 06:36 PM
Does anyone have a sleep number bed?

rosawendel
05-01-10, 07:36 PM
mattress sales is almost a step below auto sales. just enough variation between sellers that direct comparisons aren't possible. we ended up going with a local manufacturer and are very happy in our decision.

Methanolandbrats
05-01-10, 07:53 PM
Many good mattresses are thrown out by wasteful people, just grab a free one off the curb :gomer:

Elmo T
05-01-10, 07:58 PM
just enough variation between sellers that direct comparisons aren't possible.

Ugh - that was our problem. Even with the name brands, different stores each carry unique models. We bought a Stearns and Foster than was only sold at one chain.

Best part is when they start in on the warranty conversation and whether bodily fluid stains are covered or not. :saywhat:

Good luck!

Gnam
05-02-10, 03:10 AM
You might try a wholesale furniture dealer. Their prices are considerably less, but their return policy is usually No. Also, some aren't open to the public unless they need to move surplus inventory. If you don't like it, just stick it in the guest room. ;)

oddlycalm
05-02-10, 04:32 PM
I've heard that while the "foam" mattresses are very comfy they're very warm and don't dissipate body heat at all. In fact they retain it very well, giving the metaphorical effect of sleeping on a frying pan. If you try to even out the heat with blankets you roast, otherwise you freeze above the mattress and fry where you're in contact with the mattress.

Just what I've heard.

I wouldn't argue with that. Foam is an insulator. Those that run hot may hate it and others like it. Again, a road test is mandatory. We use the memory foam with a comforter (down in the winter, polyfill summer) and it's worked for us for 10+yrs. One PITA is that the foam has to get rotated and flipped on a regular basis.

There is also the combination air/memory foam mattresses. You get the stiffness adjustment and memory foam cushioning as well.

Those of the young and healthy persuasion probably don't need anything more than a good standard mattress but for the older and more busted up it's nice to have options. :D

oc

Sean Malone
05-02-10, 09:56 PM
My 2c;

Wife insisted on pillow tops, she also insists on pillow tops that are so tall that no sheet manufacturer makes sheets deep enough to fit them...but that's another issue.

A few years back, after trying numerous pillow tops that 'nested' after just a few months ( a common trait for that style mattress), we dropped an embarrassingly large chunk of change on the best Sterns and Foster made. "Top of the line"...they told us..."guaranteed not to nest!"...they told us..."you'll never want another mattress!"...they told us.

I did exactly what they instructed me to do, built an infrastructure of hardwood slats and 4x4 uprights that would support a couple of hippos in heat, rotated the mattress religiously every 3 months. After a year that thing had sunk 3" in the middle (it was guaranteed not to sink any more than 1 1/2". And it's not like we're 'big' people...I'm 165lb, the wife is 105lb.)

Every night we had dreams we were rolling down hills. We'd start out the night on the edges and wake up in the morning at the bottom of the hill. To this day it infuriates me to no end. I contacted the the retailer who informed me they have nothing to do with it, I would have to contact S&F who would send 'technicians' out to evaluate the issue with special measuring devices etc.
We swapped it out with our with our guest room mattress, a non pillow top Sealy that we got at Sams Club for a decent price. No issues after 2 years.

So I guess what I'm saying is...if you're thinking of pillow tops but haven't had one before...beware. The retailers love talking people into them to.

Signed,

Sucker

dando
05-03-10, 09:07 AM
My 2c;

Wife insisted on pillow tops, she also insists on pillow tops that are so tall that no sheet manufacturer makes sheets deep enough to fit them...but that's another issue.

A few years back, after trying numerous pillow tops that 'nested' after just a few months ( a common trait for that style mattress), we dropped an embarrassingly large chunk of change on the best Sterns and Foster made. "Top of the line"...they told us..."guaranteed not to nest!"...they told us..."you'll never want another mattress!"...they told us.

I did exactly what they instructed me to do, built an infrastructure of hardwood slats and 4x4 uprights that would support a couple of hippos in heat, rotated the mattress religiously every 3 months. After a year that thing had sunk 3" in the middle (it was guaranteed not to sink any more than 1 1/2". And it's not like we're 'big' people...I'm 165lb, the wife is 105lb.)

Every night we had dreams we were rolling down hills. We'd start out the night on the edges and wake up in the morning at the bottom of the hill. To this day it infuriates me to no end. I contacted the the retailer who informed me they have nothing to do with it, I would have to contact S&F who would send 'technicians' out to evaluate the issue with special measuring devices etc.
We swapped it out with our with our guest room mattress, a non pillow top Sealy that we got at Sams Club for a decent price. No issues after 2 years.

So I guess what I'm saying is...if you're thinking of pillow tops but haven't had one before...beware. The retailers love talking people into them to.

Signed,

Sucker

:rofl: (sorry)

That's what we bought ~8 years ago and it's doing just fine....and my wife and I are a we bit larger that y'all.

-Kevin

Indy
05-03-10, 09:22 AM
Loved the idea of the memory foam mattress, but hated it in practice. Hot, and I always felt I was falling into it somehow. Lucked out and stumbled upon a latex mattress. Not memory foam, but not traditional construction. Supportive, but soft. Not too hot. I think ours is a Simmons, and it is wonderful.

The only negative is weight. Flipping the king size is a chore.

Boatdesigner
05-03-10, 09:42 PM
When our soft side waterbed finally needed replacing last year, we ended up buying a good quality conventional mattress with a latex pillow top. My wife needs a step ladder to get into it. After a year, both of us would gladly trade it in on another soft side waterbed, if we could find one. I actually got up early this morning and went into the living room to finish up the night in the recliner.

I'd even take the old fashioned giant rubber bladder type of waterbed back at this point!

NismoZ
05-03-10, 10:14 PM
Yes, Sleep Number, works for me. Started out on 25 and haven't made a single adjustment. Sore lower back disappeared almost instantly. Dingo Dog likes it too. Now it's my legs fighting for room and comfort..

Brickman
05-04-10, 12:33 AM
www.sleeplikethedead.com :\

nrc
05-04-10, 01:21 AM
Bedding technology peaked in the 70s.

Seriously, we've had two waterbeds over the course of 30 years and I see no sign that the current one will need replaced any time soon.

Methanolandbrats
05-04-10, 08:12 AM
Bedding technology peaked in the 70s.

http://www.roundwaterbeds.com/images/round%20beds/RoundBed-3-325.jpg

Seriously, we've had two waterbeds over the course of 30 years and I see no sign that the current one will need replaced any time soon.

Looks like that will sleep quite a few people, lots of room to move around :D

Elmo T
05-04-10, 10:06 AM
My 2c;

Sucker

I hate to say, we have the same issue with a S&F pillow top. Some mattresses come with a removable pillow top, not sure if that would help. We've had the mattress for about 7 years and I am ready to dump it.

On the other hand, if I get an offer to meet on the mountaintop... ;)

High Sided
05-04-10, 12:14 PM
www.sleeplikethedead.com :\

and if your not dead...:gomer:
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/memory-foam-sex.html

TRDfan
05-08-10, 08:52 AM
I managed a furniture store for a few years and sold many mattresses.

There is big markup, go at off hours and negotiate.

Many people come in wanting a "firm" bed, what they really mean is they want a supportive bed - big difference. We have a super soft, yet very supportive Serta. We are due for a new one too.

Make sure you get one with a sleep trial that is longer than 30 nights. Since most people are on worn out mattresses, the first couple weeks on a new mattress will be uncomfortable. It takes about 30-45 days until you really know if the bed is right for you.

Find a salesperson who knows their stuff. Yes, they will move you to an expensive one, just move down a few notches and work for a deal. Make sure the "box spring" is not just a box, but has some steel support in there also, that is a key part of making sure the mattress is doing it's job.

WickerBill
03-27-11, 05:23 PM
cameraman, what did you buy?

cameraman
03-27-11, 05:44 PM
I ended up getting a local brand. An extra firm innerspring with a health layer of latex on top. Very firm but not hard.

WickerBill
03-27-11, 07:15 PM
I ended up getting a local brand. An extra firm innerspring with a health layer of latex on top. Very firm but not hard.

Interesting -- I'm looking at the latex stuff myself, but in an actual all-latex mattress. But it's difficult to convince the SO ...

Michaelhatesfans
03-28-11, 01:28 AM
How the holy hell does one choose a mattress?

Could have gone with a "9 1/2 Weeks" style test run, you know.

Insomniac
07-03-11, 06:06 PM
Looks like it's my turn now. :) Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on a platform vs. boxspring for supporting a mattress.

cameraman
07-03-11, 11:53 PM
Many of the newer higher end super thick mattresses are designed to used on platforms. And some should have box springs. I don't think it is a choice as much as a design spec.

Insomniac
07-04-11, 12:59 PM
Many of the newer higher end super thick mattresses are designed to used on platforms. And some should have box springs. I don't think it is a choice as much as a design spec.

I did not realize this. I thought the purpose was just to provide solid support for the mattress so it doesn't sag/wear out quickly.

Insomniac
11-05-12, 01:28 PM
I finally bought a (and kept) a new mattress.

I tried out memory foam for 45 days. I got the Serta iComfort Insight after trying various memory foam beds. I thought Tempur-pedic felt great, but it was too soft for me (I had trouble rolling in very soft/conforming beds and as the price goes up, the Tempur gets softer and more conforming, generally). Also, the iComfort Genius was really hard.

I returned it because I felt it was making me hotter (not significantly, but enough that it woke me up and I have some trouble sweating) and even bigger, my back started to hurt about 4 weeks into using it. It did eliminate any hip pain I had when laying on my side.

So I switched my focus back to spring mattresses. Anything plush was immediately off the list. I settled on the Beautyrest Classic (top model in that line, has many names, mine was Lara). I've slept on it for a month. It was the opposite of the iComfort. My back hurt a bit the first couple weeks (not every morning) and it seemed a bit hard (but no hip pain). As I approached the 1 month mark, it started to feel great. I just rotated it and it's like starting over again, but I'm confident it'll feel better in a couple weeks and will be fully broken in.

If anyone is looking at Beautyrest, I can help you comparison shop across stores. I bought mine locally because I knew they'd treat me well and work with me if the bed didn't work out. It cost a bit more, but I haven't thought twice about it.

Insomniac
03-30-13, 12:59 PM
I finally bought a (and kept) a new mattress.

I tried out memory foam for 45 days. I got the Serta iComfort Insight after trying various memory foam beds. I thought Tempur-pedic felt great, but it was too soft for me (I had trouble rolling in very soft/conforming beds and as the price goes up, the Tempur gets softer and more conforming, generally). Also, the iComfort Genius was really hard.

I returned it because I felt it was making me hotter (not significantly, but enough that it woke me up and I have some trouble sweating) and even bigger, my back started to hurt about 4 weeks into using it. It did eliminate any hip pain I had when laying on my side.

So I switched my focus back to spring mattresses. Anything plush was immediately off the list. I settled on the Beautyrest Classic (top model in that line, has many names, mine was Lara). I've slept on it for a month. It was the opposite of the iComfort. My back hurt a bit the first couple weeks (not every morning) and it seemed a bit hard (but no hip pain). As I approached the 1 month mark, it started to feel great. I just rotated it and it's like starting over again, but I'm confident it'll feel better in a couple weeks and will be fully broken in.

If anyone is looking at Beautyrest, I can help you comparison shop across stores. I bought mine locally because I knew they'd treat me well and work with me if the bed didn't work out. It cost a bit more, but I haven't thought twice about it.

6 month follow-up. Around month 3 my back started hurting after waking up. I got rid of the pain with Ibuprofen and a "wedge" configuration with pillows starting under my shoulders, but it has come back and is worse.

They're going to look at it for sagging Monday, but I doubt there is any and then see what they can do.

My best guess at this point is I need a firm mattress. The foam (and memory foam) must soften up enough to not provide enough support now. Does this seem like a logical conclusion?

dando
03-30-13, 02:53 PM
6 month follow-up. Around month 3 my back started hurting after waking up. I got rid of the pain with Ibuprofen and a "wedge" configuration with pillows starting under my shoulders, but it has come back and is worse.

They're going to look at it for sagging Monday, but I doubt there is any and then see what they can do.

My best guess at this point is I need a firm mattress. The foam (and memory foam) must soften up enough to not provide enough support now. Does this seem like a logical conclusion?

I've been sleeping on the floor three of the past four nights. Doesn't get any firmer than that. ;) Part to allow the girls to sleep on my bed (the couch) and part for my back. :( I'll be sending my master bedroom mattress to Don Q. for the proper burning. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
03-30-13, 06:42 PM

We bought our firm mattress with the eventual "give" in mind.

Way too firm. Waking up injured every morning is no way to go through life.

Added a 4" memory foam pillow top, and it's all better.

Insomniac
03-30-13, 11:13 PM
We bought our firm mattress with the eventual "give" in mind.

Way too firm. Waking up injured every morning is no way to go through life.

Added a 4" memory foam pillow top, and it's all better.

What kind of pain were you having? I was just thinking today you can always make it softer with a topper, but you can't make it firmer unless you cut it open and rip out the foam.

TravelGal
03-31-13, 12:47 AM
Agree with G. I bought a "firm" mattress for the day bed in Mom's livingroom. It replaced a 30 year old sleep sofa. The bed part was still okay but the couch cushions had sunk so low she couldn't get up off them.

After the first few nights, I was still wondering if they had taken the mattress out of the box it was so hard. I'm there quite a bit but not enough to soften it appreciably. I feel ever so slightly bruised all over when I wake up. I swear it was better when I was sleeping with a 4" foam mattress on the floor.

G.
03-31-13, 02:38 AM
What kind of pain were you having? I was just thinking today you can always make it softer with a topper, but you can't make it firmer unless you cut it open and rip out the foam.

Neck. There was no way to get the pillow height right through the night. Too high, too low, ended up stiff the next day. Enough give at the shoulder (with the topper) makes the difference.

Side-sleeper, reduces snoring, so SHE says.

Insomniac
03-31-13, 12:27 PM
Agree with G. I bought a "firm" mattress for the day bed in Mom's livingroom. It replaced a 30 year old sleep sofa. The bed part was still okay but the couch cushions had sunk so low she couldn't get up off them.

After the first few nights, I was still wondering if they had taken the mattress out of the box it was so hard. I'm there quite a bit but not enough to soften it appreciably. I feel ever so slightly bruised all over when I wake up. I swear it was better when I was sleeping with a 4" foam mattress on the floor.

Neck. There was no way to get the pillow height right through the night. Too high, too low, ended up stiff the next day. Enough give at the shoulder (with the topper) makes the difference.

Side-sleeper, reduces snoring, so SHE says.

I'd probably go from:

Quilt - Top of Mattress
5/8" PurFoam Plush
1 1/2" PurFoam Plush
1.25 oz. Celestra
Comfort - Padding Layers
2" PurFoam Firm
1/2" PurFoam Firm
1 1/2" Visco Memory Foam

to

Quilt - Top of Mattress
5/8" PurFoam Plush
5/8" PurFoam Plush (7/8" less than current)
1.25 oz. Celestra
Comfort - Padding Layers
1/2" PurFoam Firm (1 1/2" less than current)
1/2" Purfoam Luxury Firm (upgraded to Luxury?)
1 1/2"Visco Memory Foam

And it would probably have the whole "pattern" stitching vs a few stitches every 9-12".

All the coils would be the same between either one.

I'm going to talk to a couple physical therapists, see if they have a take from a kinesiology stand point.

dando
03-31-13, 03:54 PM
http://blogblahblahdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/bed_of_nails_imagelarge-1.jpg

Can't go wrong here... :gomer:

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-31-13, 05:54 PM
http://blogblahblahdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/bed_of_nails_imagelarge-1.jpg

Can't go wrong here... :gomer:

-Kevin

I think it does a poor job of distributing weight. :)

dando
03-31-13, 05:59 PM
I think it does a poor job of distributing weight. :)

One on that contraption, and weight won't be a worry. ;)

-Kevin

WickerBill
02-25-15, 10:31 PM
Insomniac - what's the latest on this?

Insomniac
02-26-15, 12:52 PM
Insomniac - what's the latest on this?

So, I had to re-read the thread to know what to update! Thanks for asking. So they did not show up on "Monday". It probably took them a few months to finally come out. I was quite frustrated and felt that taking someone's word probably cost me a few hundred dollars. Ultimately, I switched back to an older mattress we had (a 20-ish year old Sealy Posturpedic that is the guest bed, it's barely used, maybe 1 year total).

The extra time let me talk to some of my friends who are physical therapists and exercise physiologists and to do more research into back pain, positioning, etc. I concluded firmer was not the answer, but softer. Of course, this felt counter-intuitive still given my experience with memory foam.

I finally just stopped by the local place to "confront" the owner. It wasn't all that much of a confrontation. He was not their, but his other employee was. I spoke with her, reminded her what he had said and she promised he'd call me. That afternoon he did, he apologized and came out the next day. Took measurements, said it was sagged enough to be replaced under warranty (this seems so subjective).

So I went to his store and tried every plush Simmons mattress. Ended up getting the Beautyrest Recharge L2 Plush (his store called it the Dennet). It had more foam and a slightly higher gauge coil (thinner wire). So I think the right mattress for me is soft, but with coils. There was supposed to be a difference in price ($100), but when he delivered it, he said not to worry about it for all the trouble and back pain.

I've had the mattress for almost exactly one year and no back pain when I wake up.

On a side note, this seems like an area where a lot of research could be done to fit people to the right mattress, or even design a mattress that is a build your own.

TravelGal
02-26-15, 04:25 PM
A timely revival as I just asked TravelGuy yesterday if it was time to start thinking about a new mattress. We also had concluded last time that soft was better but, by reading Insomniac's post, I think we didn't get enough coils.