PDA

View Full Version : Where's the thread where we mock our elected officials?

Ankf00
04-28-10, 08:15 PM
Texas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog
By JIM VERTUNO
Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
updated 4:56 p.m. PT, Tues., April 27, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas - Pistol-packing Texas Gov. Rick Perry has a message for wily coyotes out there: Don't mess with my dog.

Perry told The Associated Press on Tuesday he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.

Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes. He'd also seen coyotes in the undeveloped area.

When one came out of the brush toward his daughter's Labrador retriever, Perry charged.

"Don't attack my dog or you might get shot ... if you're a coyote," he said Tuesday.

Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire. A concealed handgun permit holder, Perry carries the pistol in a belt.

"I knew there were a lot of predators out there. You'll hear a pack of coyotes. People are losing small cats and dogs all the time out there in that community," Perry said.

"They're very wily creatures."

On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.

"I'm enjoying the run when something catches my eye and it's this coyote. I know he knows I'm there. He never looks at me, he is laser-locked on that dog," Perry said.

"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it. It is now staring dead at me. Either me or the dog are in imminent danger. I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

Perry said the laser-pointer helped make a quick, clean kill.

"It was not in a lot of pain," he said. "It pretty much went down at that particular juncture."

Texas state law allows people to shoot coyotes that are threatening livestock or domestic animals. The dog was unharmed, Perry said.

Perry's security detail was not required to file a report about the governor discharging a weapon, said Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tela Mange.

"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."

The governor left the coyote where it fell.

"He became mulch," Perry said.

take your pick folks... Goodhair "charged" a coyote which was "staring dead at [him]," because coyotes have a habit of staring down large loud humans charging them...

there's also the mental image of the gov jogging w/ a laser sighted .380

oh yea, "they're very wily creatures."

:rofl:

SteveH
04-28-10, 08:37 PM
mulch? :rofl:

stroker
04-28-10, 10:32 PM
Well, crap, I guess that makes coyotes and endangered species now.

datachicane
04-28-10, 10:49 PM
Interesting, depending on who you ask the lab is black, yellow, adult, and a puppy. :saywhat: Hopefully it's a puppy, and a darned cute one.

Reminds me of Peter Seller's pheasant hunting scene in The Magic Christian.
:gomer:

Indy
04-28-10, 10:56 PM
:saywhat:

nrc
04-28-10, 11:38 PM
Hollow points provide the stopping power that's essential for dealing with snakes and coyotes. :gomer:

JmX6HFyKYFw

oddlycalm
04-29-10, 05:17 AM
The funniest part is that announcing he carries a .380 in Texas is like publicly announcing he has tiny genitals or wears womens underwear. :gomer: :laugh: People are gonna be laughing and making jokes about this for years.

Whoever came up with this savage election year coyote attack red herring should have actually done their homework.

oc

chop456
04-29-10, 05:37 AM
The funniest part is that announcing he carries a .380 in Texas is like publicly announcing he has tiny genitals or wears womens underwear.

Or vice versa.

Napoleon
04-29-10, 06:07 AM
Where's the thread where we mock our elected officials?

Does the Universe have enough bandwidth for a thread like this?

stroker
04-29-10, 07:44 AM
The funniest part is that announcing he carries a .380 in Texas is like publicly announcing he has tiny genitals or wears womens underwear. :gomer: :laugh: People are gonna be laughing and making jokes about this for years.

Whoever came up with this savage election year coyote attack red herring should have actually done their homework.

oc

I dunno about that.... do you know how many LCP's Ruger is selling every week?

Don Quixote
04-29-10, 08:05 AM
The funniest part is that announcing he carries a .380 in Texas is like publicly announcing he has tiny genitals or wears womens underwear.
:laugh: His staff needs to go into full damage control mode and claim that he and his wife traded guns for a day because she thought she might need the 454 casull.

Elmo T
04-29-10, 08:36 AM
Perry, a Republican running for a third full term against Democrat Bill White, is living in a private house in a hilly area southwest of downtown Austin while the Governor's Mansion is being repaired after a 2008 fire.

No fire sprinklers, though they were going to be installed as part of a $10 million dollar renovation in 2008. Just sayin' ;)

Mansion is now being repaired for $22 million and half of that is Federal ARRA stimulus money.

"People shoot coyotes all the time, snakes all the time," Mange said. "We don't write reports."

http://i40.tinypic.com/1z1cxhf.jpg

NismoZ
04-29-10, 12:23 PM
Well, it wasn't an enraged rabbit doing the breast stroke toward Carter in a rowboat or anything,;) but the last time I stared down ol' Wiley in my yard I'd have talen any kind of Ruger instead of the paint brush I was armed with.:eek:

G.
04-29-10, 01:09 PM
oc
Oh, but wait! The details, man, the details.

he needed just one shot from the laser-sighted pistol he sometimes carries while jogging to take down a coyote that menaced his puppy during a February run near Austin.
He's that good.

I'm kinda interested in what kind of snakes one would use .380 HP's on though...

datachicane
04-29-10, 01:56 PM
I'm kinda interested in what kind of snakes one would use .380 HP's on though...

http://roberthood.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/gigantic2.jpg

cameraman
04-29-10, 02:22 PM

If we're lucky the shrapnel will take him out with the snake. Darwinism and all

dando
04-29-10, 02:41 PM
oh yea, "they're very Wile E. creatures."

Fixed. Perhaps he should focus on Road Runners. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

extramundane
04-29-10, 02:53 PM
If we're lucky the shrapnel will take him out with the snake. Darwinism and all

Isn't that illegal in Texas now?

oddlycalm
04-29-10, 03:46 PM
I dunno about that.... do you know how many LCP's Ruger is selling every week?
Right, but the issue is how many male Texans would admit publicly they were carrying a .380. ;)

oc

cameraman
04-29-10, 06:06 PM
But the laser sight makes it oh so manly:rolleyes:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/CrimsonTrace-LCP/DSC05201.jpg

And what's up with the please read the warnings note molded into the gun:saywhat:

Don Quixote
04-29-10, 07:05 PM
And what's up with the please read the warnings note molded into the gun:saywhat: Written by the same lawyers who put the warning note on windshield shades telling you not to drive when the shade in in place. :)

Don Quixote
04-29-10, 07:06 PM
Right, but the issue is how many male Texans would admit publicly they were carrying a .380. ;)

oc So youre saying that James Bond aint from Texas?

Napoleon
04-29-10, 08:04 PM
Written by the same lawyers who put the warning note on windshield shades telling you not to drive when the shade in in place. :)

F-ing attorneys

My favorite is about 5 years ago I am on a private jet flying down to Fort Worth eating peanuts out of a can that was one of the goodies on the jet, and while I am doing that look at the warning label which says something like "May contain nut products".

No joke.

G.
04-29-10, 10:44 PM

oc

Just tell people that it's a 9mm Browning. :p

Gnam
04-30-10, 01:56 AM
It's not the size of the tool, it's how fast that tool can run tell the media he shot a small dog with a tiny gun.

:noisy cricket:

G.
04-30-10, 09:13 AM
It's not the size of the tool, it's how fast that tool can run tell the media he shot a small dog with a tiny gun.

:noisy cricket:

Politicians are almost always tools, and in a very dark way, I'd laugh my ass off if it turned out to be someone's pet schnauzer (named Mulch?), but around here in blissful suburbia, coyotes are taking pet dogs with some regularity. People are getting stalked while walking their pets, approached when Mulchie is on a leash, fences are getting breached (they've been jumping over them to get the dogs), etc., etc.

I think the county has been quietly getting rid of them, since I haven't heard them "pack up" last winter and attacks are down this year.

The stalking stories are pretty spooky.

Indy
04-30-10, 09:30 AM
We have a coyote that we see running through our back yard now and then. He is a cute little guy.

How about instead of killing innocent animals we declare hunting seasons on politicians. I mean, seriously, their overpopulation has become a serious problem, and culling is the only humane thing to do.

Michaelhatesfans
04-30-10, 10:49 AM
"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it."

It frightens me that people who use the word "holler" can own guns.

Don Quixote
04-30-10, 11:35 AM
I know a girl from butcher's holler. ;)

datachicane
04-30-10, 11:40 AM
"I holler and the coyote stopped. I holler again. By this time I had taken my weapon out and charged it."

Me too, but then I'm an elitist.

Poor guy, he's managed to alienate everybody with this story.
PETA types and gun nuts agree, he's a limp-wristed, cold-blooded doggy-murdering girl!

nrc
04-30-10, 11:57 AM

"Holler" is a perfectly cromulent word. Missy's mom lives in a holler.

Gangrel
04-30-10, 12:09 PM
"...I did the appropriate thing and sent it to where coyotes go," he said.

I find this line particulary disturbing...

Really? "Where coyotes go"? So...all coyotes are inherantly evil and the only right thing to do is wipe them off the planet? Hmmmm....

Someone needs to stop taking the macho lessons so seriously...

nrc
04-30-10, 12:23 PM
I find this line particulary disturbing...

Really? "Where coyotes go"? So...all coyotes are inherantly evil and the only right thing to do is wipe them off the planet? Hmmmm....

Someone needs to stop taking the macho lessons so seriously...

I assumed that he meant coyote heaven where all the rabbits are slow and none of the garbage cans have lids.

Gangrel
04-30-10, 01:01 PM
I assumed that he meant coyote heaven where all the rabbits are slow and none of the garbage cans have lids.

Based on the tone of his comments, I would assume heaven isn't exactly what he had in mind...

Sean Malone
04-30-10, 01:52 PM
Politicians are almost always tools, and in a very dark way, I'd laugh my ass off if it turned out to be someone's pet schnauzer (named Mulch?), but around here in blissful suburbia, coyotes are taking pet dogs with some regularity. People are getting stalked while walking their pets, approached when Mulchie is on a leash, fences are getting breached (they've been jumping over them to get the dogs), etc., etc.

I think the county has been quietly getting rid of them, since I haven't heard them "pack up" last winter and attacks are down this year.

The stalking stories are pretty spooky.

Coyotes are typically as timid as bunnies. Any dog over 10lbs is capable of scaring off an entire pack .
We see packs stroll through our neighborhood quite often. They keep moving, never stopping to snoop around.
We had one accidentally jump over our back yard fence last summer only to be scared ****less when my German Shepherd came tearing out of her doggy door towards it at full gallop. The coyote literally ran into the fence 3 times before it remembered it had to jump over it.

I read an article (linked off of the 'Weird Urban Areas' thread I posted) about coyotes in LA who have a wolf gene which is making them more aggressive, but the ones we have in FL are nothing more than tall, mangy squirrel like things.

Ankf00
04-30-10, 01:52 PM

quintessentially aggie. he was one of their male cheerleaders, you know. :gomer:

if you took a gun for snake hunting, why would you take one notoriously hard to aim with beyond 10 feet?

Michaelhatesfans
04-30-10, 03:02 PM
Hey, did you guys notice how I contributed to a thread about a politician and OC management didn't have to come through and delete fifteen posts as a result?

Thought I'd try something different today.

:cool:

oddlycalm
04-30-10, 03:39 PM
So youre saying that James Bond aint from Texas?
Yessir, that's exactly what I'm saying. :D

oc

WickerBill
04-30-10, 03:57 PM
Hey, did you guys notice how I contributed to a thread about a politician and OC management didn't have to come through and delete fifteen posts as a result?

:thumbup:

G.
04-30-10, 04:08 PM

So insulting the Boss' mom was the best you could come up with?? :p

Ankf00
04-30-10, 07:53 PM
:laugh:

RaceGrrl
04-30-10, 08:11 PM
Yep, my mom lives in a holler and she has a conceal/carry permit. I bet she wouldn't need a laser sight to kill a critter.

Don Quixote
04-30-10, 09:06 PM
I think I would like Missy's mom. :thumbup:

Ankf00
04-30-10, 09:19 PM
I bet she wouldn't need a laser sight to kill a critter.

cuz she's not aggie enough to carry an LCP .380 for critter shootin' :D :thumbup:

G.
04-30-10, 09:54 PM
Yep, my mom lives in a holler and she has a conceal/carry permit. I bet she wouldn't need a laser sight to kill a critter.

She'd use the laser light to toy with it a spell.

Michaelhatesfans
04-30-10, 10:42 PM
So insulting the Boss' mom was the best you could come up with?? :p

Baby steps, man. Baby steps.

oddlycalm
05-01-10, 03:13 AM
I bet she wouldn't need a laser sight to kill a critter.
Absolutely, people that know what to do with a pistol don't need a laser to hit what they are shooting at within the effective range of a .380. She probably wouldn't feel the need to brag it up to the newspapers if she had to put down a 30lb. half starved coyote that was standing still 15ft. away either.

oc

Ankf00
05-02-10, 01:33 PM
LCPs dont have sights aren't accurate past a few yards

even Jimmy Kimmel's in on the act now :D

Pbp8C5w5Om0

oddlycalm
05-04-10, 03:18 PM
Texas Governor Rick "Coyote Killer" Perry held forth today that the gulf oil rig explosion and subsequent oil spill is an "act of God." So what, the coyote was an agent of the devil....? :gomer: Or, was God simply subcontracting the oil platform operations for BP? :confused:

act of god (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050410dntexperryoi.44853a8.html)

oc

TrueBrit
05-04-10, 03:56 PM
Is it the humididdy down there that just melts their brains or is there sumpin' else...:shakehead

datachicane
05-04-10, 04:25 PM
Texas Governor Rick "Coyote Killer" Perry held forth today that the gulf oil rig explosion and subsequent oil spill is an "act of God." So what, the coyote was an agent of the devil....? :gomer: Or, was God simply subcontracting the oil platform operations for BP? :confused:
oc

No, no, God wouldn't blowed up his own oil rig, mysterious ways or not.
BP must have subcontracted with Beelzebub, or possibly the Flying Spaghetti Monster, although I'm pretty sure His Noodly Appendage only works with olive oil.

nrc
05-04-10, 07:40 PM
"Act of god" is a perfectly common legal term meaning events outside of our control. I don't think he's suggesting that God smote the oil rig.

Sean Malone
05-04-10, 08:01 PM
Everyone knows that science is to blame, not god! :)

emjaya
05-04-10, 08:07 PM

act of god (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/050410dntexperryoi.44853a8.html)

oc

In a separate question-and-answer session with reporters, Perry said BP has "historically had a very good safety record from my perspective."

After a reporter pointed out that an explosion at BP's Texas City refinery killed 15 workers in 2005, Perry acknowledged the company has been under scrutiny for its safety record.

oddlycalm
05-04-10, 09:33 PM
"Act of god" is a perfectly common legal term meaning events outside of our control. I don't think he's suggesting that God smote the oil rig.
Normally true Boss, but after charging the killer coyote with his lady gun and bragging it up Perry is probably gonna be on the giggle radar for a while.

As emjaya points out it, wasn't just the "act of god" crack that distinguished him this time out. ;)

oc

Napoleon
05-05-10, 06:12 AM
"Act of god" is a perfectly common legal term meaning events outside of our control.

Sure, if a meteor hit that rig, or a category 5 hurricane, I would agree it was an Act of God, but I doubt that is what set it off (and in my mind even an ordinary lighting strike would not qualify. something like that rig ought to be engineered to withstand fairly ordinary type conditions that could be expected).

I think it is fairly obvious that it was not an AOG but Perry is using that phrase to white wash BP.

Coyotes are typically as timid as bunnies. Any dog over 10lbs is capable of scaring off an entire pack .
We see packs stroll through our neighborhood quite often. They keep moving, never stopping to snoop around.

I stopped at my brother's house last night, which is a couple of miles from mine, and he mentioned that a couple days ago while working in the back yard one comes trotting through his yard and past him on the way to who knows where.

WickerBill
05-05-10, 07:26 AM
Boss, what's up with the text box colors on this page? Not alternating gray/white, not all gray, not all white...

nrc
05-05-10, 08:59 AM
Boss, what's up with the text box colors on this page? Not alternating gray/white, not all gray, not all white...

You're seeing posts that have received our special moderator seal of disapproval. Only your special boss ex-ray vision permits you to see those.

Sean Malone
05-05-10, 09:06 AM

I stopped at my brother's house last night, which is a couple of miles from mine, and he mentioned that a couple days ago while working in the back yard one comes trotting through his yard and past him on the way to who knows where.

Yeah, it's rather curious actually. Like they have to be somewhere for a pack meeting or something. "scuze me, parden me, just passin' through."

Steve99
05-05-10, 02:01 PM
You're seeing posts that have received our special moderator seal of disapproval. Only your special boss ex-ray vision permits you to see those.
Uh oh, the secret is out. I fear I've seen too much. :cry:

Yeah, it's rather curious actually. Like they have to be somewhere for a pack meeting or something. "scuze me, parden me, just passin' through."
The ACME delivery guy only waits so long before taking the package back to the warehouse.

oddlycalm
05-05-10, 03:08 PM
The ACME delivery guy only waits so long before taking the package back to the warehouse.

:rofl: Thanks, that 'splains everything. :thumbup:

oc

cameraman
05-24-10, 07:06 PM

oc

Or use it as a marketing opportunity:rolleyes:

The governor shot the coyote that he said was threatening his daughter's puppy with a Ruger .380-caliber pistol. Manufacturer Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc. has now come out with a version emblazoned with "Coyote Special" and "A True Texan" on the sides.

On top is a picture of a coyote howling at the moon and five-pointed star of Texas. The box says it is "For Sale to Texans Only."

The collective IQ of this country is really beginning to scare me.

Ankf00
05-24-10, 07:11 PM
well, guess I know what my next firearms purchase is :gomer:

Indy
05-24-10, 07:58 PM

The collective IQ of Texans scares me.

And I am from Indiana, so that is saying something. :gomer:

oddlycalm
05-25-10, 02:29 PM
Or use it as a marketing opportunity:rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess it was predictable in a market where reality doesn't enter into the equation even a little bit.

As far as IQ, I wish it was that simple. Fear and group acceptance are powerful forces and marketing people have learned how to push those buttons whether it's to sell politicians, food that will kill us, or guns we don't need. People are hardwired to respond in certain ways and intelligence is a weak defense against that.

oc

G.
05-26-10, 01:05 PM
As far as IQ, I wish it was that simple. Fear and group acceptance are powerful forces and marketing people have learned how to push those buttons whether it's to sell politicians, food that will kill us, or guns we don't need. People are hardwired to respond in certain ways and intelligence is a weak defense against that.

ocYou bought one didn't ya? C'mon, you can tell us.

oddlycalm
05-26-10, 04:47 PM
You bought one didn't ya? C'mon, you can tell us.

Sorry G., as sorely tempted as I was I managed to keep my pants on for this one. :)

oc

Napoleon
06-03-10, 07:05 AM

Well I got my first one sauntering through the backyard at 6 am this morning.

G.
06-03-10, 08:51 AM
Well I got my first one sauntering through the backyard at 6 am this morning.Didja get it with a 0.380?

Napoleon
06-03-10, 09:24 AM
Didja get it with a 0.380?

No, but I tell you what, if my next door neighbor's Doberman is outside and unleashed the next time he comes through he is going to wish I had.

Ankf00
08-26-10, 11:30 PM
if only ol' Vlad was our Gov...

http://therightsideofaustin.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/putin-shooting-grey-whale.jpeg?w=399&h=261
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100825/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_putin_whales

MOSCOW – Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin fired darts from a crossbow at a gray whale off Russia's Far Eastern coast on Wednesday in the latest in a series of man-versus-nature stunts designed to cultivate the image of a macho leader.

Putin held his balance in a rubber boat that was being tossed around in choppy waters off the Kamchatka Peninsula, and eventually hit the whale with a special arrow designed to collect skin samples.

"I hit it at the fourth try!" a beaming Putin, kitted out in black-and-orange waterproof suit and black beanie, yelled to a camera crew from the boat.

He has been photographed fishing bare-chested in Russia's Altai region, and was shown on television diving into an icy river and swimming the butterfly stroke.

In April he attached a satellite-tracking collar on a tranquilized polar bear. He also has shot a Siberian tiger with a tranquilizer gun and released leopards into a wildlife sanctuary.
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/080620people_putin--121394861977409600.jpg

Gnam
08-27-10, 02:04 AM
...hit the whale with a special arrow designed to collect skin samples.

...he attached a satellite-tracking collar on a tranquilized polar bear.

He also has shot a Siberian tiger with a tranquilizer gun...

...[he] released leopards into a wildlife sanctuary.

God help us. PeTA's taken over Russia. There'll be no stopping them now.

oddlycalm
08-27-10, 04:33 AM
And so he was known thereafter as Vlad The Tranquilizer....:laugh:

oc