PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari F1 barcode a ‘smokescreen for cigarette adverts’

emjaya
04-28-10, 07:14 PM
Leading doctors are demanding an immediate government inquiry into “subliminal” tobacco advertising on Ferrari’s Formula One cars, and the company’s $1 billion relationship with the maker of Marlboro cigarettes, The Times has learnt.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article7111124.ece

John Britton, a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and director of its tobacco advisory group, said: “The bar code looks like the bottom half of a packet of Marlboro cigarettes. I was stunned when I saw it.

Where has this guy been for the last few years?

A spokesman for the Italian car maker said: “The bar code is part of the livery of the car, it is not part of a subliminal advertising campaign.”

;)

BarillaGirl
04-28-10, 10:54 PM
Where has this guy been for the last few years?
;)

Isn't it more like the last several, or dozen?

I'd add more snark but I have this sudden urge to light one up. ;)

NismoZ
04-29-10, 10:49 AM
Yet, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Royal Crown and Budweiser adorn cars and TV screens EVERYwhere. :rolleyes:

Rogue Leader
04-29-10, 11:42 AM
Wow nothing gets past these guys... have they looked at the Moto GP Ducati's of the past 5 or so years :rolleyes:

gjc2
04-30-10, 06:27 PM
Yet, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, Royal Crown and Budweiser adorn cars and TV screens EVERYwhere. :rolleyes:

There are no ill effects to responsible alcohol use (some say there may be health benefits), but any tobacco use is harmful to the user and anyone nearby.

Steve99
04-30-10, 07:18 PM
Are there ill effects to barcode use?

Don Quixote
04-30-10, 07:56 PM
Are there ill effects to barcode use?Only if you smoke them. :)

oddlycalm
05-01-10, 03:19 AM
Only if you smoke them. :)
Or snort a couple lines....:gomer:

oc

Fio1
05-01-10, 06:34 AM
Why would Marlboro pay Ferrari so much money to not have livery on the car. Of course the bar code is Marlboro. Come on. :shakehead

gjc2
05-01-10, 03:05 PM
Do any of you guys have a phone with a bar code app? If so it would be iteresting to see if you can read the code from a picture.

SteveH
05-01-10, 03:14 PM
http://bak.spc.org/hayvend/bar_code/images/marlboro.gif

5039 3077 marlboro 20 soft pack 13mg tar 0.9mg nicotine (http://bak.spc.org/hayvend/bar_code/pages/17.html)

2008 livery
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/3264502435_4dab3ba818.jpg

2009 livery
http://images.alice.it/sg/sportuni/upload/fer/0002/ferrari_3.jpg

2010 livery
http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2010-Ferrari-F1-Car-2.jpg

The barcode for the past three years is consistent although not with the barcode graphic that I found for the actual pack of cigarettes.

This (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/16/ferrari-sends-marlboro-logos-to-the-ashtray/)might explain why.

Ferrari sends Marlboro logos to the ashtray
by John Neff (RSS feed) on Apr 16th 2008 at 7:57PM

........ In their place was what's been referred to as the "barcode" livery, which some say looks like the Marlboro branding from a distance, but is really just white markings that don't mean anything.......

BarillaGirl
05-01-10, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the bolding on 2008. Can we forward this to the idiot whose comments prompted this thread?

:cool:

Insomniac
05-02-10, 11:45 AM
What else is it? It's only subliminal if you already knew what was there before. The advertising is gone but Marlboro is still paying big bucks.

The whining is going too far. The logos are all gone. If Marlboro wants to pay for an empty place holder, it's their right.

opinionated ow
05-02-10, 07:26 PM
What else is it? It's only subliminal if you already knew what was there before. The advertising is gone but Marlboro is still paying big bucks.

The whining is going too far. The logos are all gone. If Marlboro wants to pay for an empty place holder, it's their right.

Exactly, and I don't know anybody who started to smoke because of a cigarette name anyway...

TrueBrit
05-03-10, 12:23 AM
Exactly, and I don't know anybody who started to smoke because of a cigarette name anyway...

I didn't start because of it, but I once did change to Rothmans for a weekend, had nothing to do with the size of the lungs on the young lady offering them for free at the racetrack you understand...

chop456
05-07-10, 12:40 PM
A further statement from Ferrari said that together with Philip Morris (Marlboro) they have modified the livery "to put an end to this ridiculous story and concentrate on more important things than such groundless allegations."

Because if the design has nothing to do with cigarrette advertising, you'd obviously involve Phillip Morris in a decision that has nothing to do with them. :laugh:

Lying scumbags.

(Shocking, I know).

cameraman
05-07-10, 10:04 PM
Because if the design has nothing to do with cigarrette advertising, you'd obviously involve Phillip Morris in a decision that has nothing to do with them. :laugh:
:confused:

What are you on about? Phillip Morris is paying a small fortune for the bar code, nobody is arguing that. It is their coin and Phillip Morris gets to choose the replacement bar code. The point is the bar code doesn't advertise cigarettes.

chop456
05-08-10, 09:04 AM
:confused:

What are you on about? Phillip Morris is paying a small fortune for the bar code, nobody is arguing that. It is their coin and Phillip Morris gets to choose the replacement bar code. The point is the bar code doesn't advertise cigarettes.

If it doesn't advertise cigarettes, why is Phillip Morris paying for it? Advertising their new line of DVD players or washing machines? :laugh:

Get real. They pulled this scam until now because nobody complained. They were finally called on it and now they're whining like children.

Insomniac
05-08-10, 06:18 PM
If it doesn't advertise cigarettes, why is Phillip Morris paying for it? Advertising their new line of DVD players or washing machines? :laugh:

Get real. They pulled this scam until now because nobody complained. They were finally called on it and now they're whining like children.

I think it really depends on what you call advertising. From my perspective, it was a place holder for Marlboro advertising. The only people who know that saw the cars when they did advertise for Marlboro. Someone who has no idea what the barcode is will have to find out through other means (I'm not saying it's difficult to find out).

I agree with Ferrari it is nonsense for them to have to change it, but the fact of the matter is, if they didn't do something first, they likely would've been forced to change it or some other laws may've been enacted blocking it outright.

Fio1
05-09-10, 01:57 AM
The best cig ad of all time was the ones for Silk Cut in the early 80's. Found on the back cover of Grand Prix International. It was a purple piece of silk fabric that was torn. Hence, Silk Cut. But, since I live in the USA I had no idea what the heck that ad was for. Other then it was for some cigarette brand because of the 'smoking is dangerous' warning labels. It wasn't until Silk Cut sponsored the TWR Jags did I figure out what brand that was. Therefore, subliminal advertising like the bar-code doesn't work unless you already know it's there.