PDA

View Full Version : Do you think he is right?

Shadow
04-26-10, 11:42 PM
http://www.ibj.com/the-score/2010/04/26/indycars-new-boss-must-apologize-for-something-he-didnt-do/PARAMS/post/19565

Gnam
04-27-10, 02:47 AM
Right now, there’s still too much bad blood, and not enough good will to regenerate this sport to where it needs to be. Running to foreign markets with a new chassis and re-made product won’t do it.

The people of the great Midwest are the ones that made this sport great and they, most of all, need that apology.

No. This is not a boycott situation where one group is trying to wrestle concessions from another. This is an extinction event. There is no one left to accept an apology.

Unless Ropin' Randy has a front engine roadster time machine that can carry his apology back to 1996 or 2004 it is worthless.

The best thing the IRL could do for AOW racing is to quit while they're behind. Sell the brickyard, crush the cars, fire the employees, and get out of the way.

nrc
04-27-10, 03:39 AM
An apology might ease the pain a bit if there were anything there worth watching. But as long as they're running crap cars in a crap series it would just be more salt in the wound.

KLang
04-27-10, 06:42 AM
Many of us simply don't GAF anymore. :(

opinionated ow
04-27-10, 07:12 AM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no need champ car will rise,,,, like a phoenix from the ashes,,,,,,,,

Elmo T
04-27-10, 08:09 AM
An apology might ease the pain a bit if there were anything there worth watching. But as long as they're running crap cars in a crap series it would just be more salt in the wound.

:thumbup::thumbup:

An apology without fixing what is broken is worthless.

Fixing what is broken without an apology won't get them there either.

Apologize, explain your plan to fix the series, and then implement the plan. Then maybe, only maybe, things will get better.

pchall
04-27-10, 08:13 AM
An apology means nothing coming from PBR guy.

I'd suggest they fix what Tony George and his bootlickers willfully and systematically destroyed. Return top level openwheel racing the conditions that made it great in the early 90s. That will never happen though. As long as the sport is controlled by the interests that own and run IMS nothing good can happen.

Methanolandbrats
04-27-10, 08:38 AM
Can't turn back the clock, an apology means nothing once the load has left the hydraulics.

TrueBrit
04-27-10, 09:38 AM
Is an apology on order?, too G-D right it is..but it doesn't matter now..the damage is done..the product has been dumbed down so much, the talent has gone, the interest has gone, the technology has gone, all that is left is a pathetic imitation of what once was the most exciting OW formula on the planet..

dando
04-27-10, 09:43 AM
An apology doesn't mean jack ****. If you want to repair the damage, start by cleaning house of the morons responsible for starting the war.

-Kevin

stroker
04-27-10, 10:07 AM
Guys, I gotta respectfully disagree, depending on how it was done. If the .1RL AND IMS were to jointly issue a statement from the Hulman George family apologizing for their decisions, actions and failure to reconcile the issue before it got to the point it did AND aggressively ask for the fans for input on how to reconstruct the sport then I think it could make an enormous impact--again, depending on how it was done. Is it perfect? Hell, no. But I think it could work.

dando
04-27-10, 11:45 AM
Guys, I gotta respectfully disagree, depending on how it was done. If the .1RL AND IMS were to jointly issue a statement from the Hulman George family apologizing for their decisions, actions and failure to reconcile the issue before it got to the point it did AND aggressively ask for the fans for input on how to reconstruct the sport then I think it could make an enormous impact--again, depending on how it was done. Is it perfect? Hell, no. But I think it could work.

Not unless they introduced a new spec with multiple chassis/engine mfgs @ the same time. What made CART great in the 90s were the different packages/combos. It's been reduced to a spec series with ugly cars and detuned engines. :thumdown: Saying sorry is meaningless w/o fixing the on track product. I tuned into Brazil since it was new and I was bored during nap time. I barely bothered with St. Pete or Long Beach. Just sayin'...

-Kevin

pchall
04-27-10, 12:36 PM
Even a live, real time apology OTA, cable and digital sattelite mumbled by Tony George on ABC just before the command to start engines could not be enough.

It would be just like an "oops, I made a mistake" uttered in 1946.

Screw these guys and the roadster they rode in on.

Don Quixote
04-27-10, 12:39 PM
Maybe they could have Tiger's or Big Ben's lawyers write out an apology. :gomer:

TKGAngel
04-27-10, 01:14 PM
Maybe they could have Tiger's or Big Ben's lawyers write out an apology. :gomer:

What's next, a Honda commercial showing a sad Tony with a v/o from his dead Grampy? :gomer:

IMO, something has to be done. But asking for fans input is just going to lead to the calm, rational solutions and opinions being drowned out by the gomers and ,,, of the world.

pchall
04-27-10, 01:16 PM

Those lawyers had it easy apologizing for their respective clients compared to what Tonytard did to a legion of motorsports fans. This is a violation of very different and catastrophic proportions.

Napoleon
04-27-10, 01:17 PM
I tuned into Brazil since it was new and I was bored during nap time. I barely bothered with St. Pete or Long Beach. Just sayin'...

-Kevin

I managed to miss all of all 3.

TravelGal
04-27-10, 01:19 PM
I'm reading elsewhere that they are going to have separate champions for road and for oval. In other words, the brain trust has decided, "Stick that in yer hat, you CART fans."

Elmo T
04-27-10, 02:02 PM
I'm reading elsewhere that they are going to have separate champions for road and for oval.

:rofl:

That's mgt accidentally kicking the plug out on the life support machine.

pchall
04-27-10, 02:17 PM
I'm reading elsewhere that they are going to have separate champions for road and for oval. In other words, the brain trust has decided, "Stick that in yer hat, you CART fans."

It's the old Triple Crown IRL style. Two hats full of **** to crown one champion who holds the other one.

TrueBrit
04-27-10, 03:06 PM

Well think about it..that would be the only way Princess Sparkle-Pony would ever be able to even think about winning a championship is by taking out tracks with those pesky left AND right turns...:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
04-27-10, 03:40 PM
Well think about it..that would be the only way Princess Sparkle-Pony would ever be able to even think about winning a championship is by taking out tracks with those pesky left AND right turns...:gomer: She sucks on ovals too. Epic meltdown coming after she finishes near DFL on a couple of ovals.:D

DagoFast
04-27-10, 06:25 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

An apology without fixing what is broken is worthless.

Fixing what is broken without an apology won't get them there either.

Apologize, explain your plan to fix the series, and then implement the plan. Then maybe, only maybe, things will get better.

^ What should happen. ^

An apology means nothing coming from PBR guy.

I'd suggest they fix what Tony George and his bootlickers willfully and systematically destroyed. Return top level openwheel racing the conditions that made it great in the early 90s. That will never happen though. As long as the sport is controlled by the interests that own and run IMS nothing good can happen.

^ What will happen. ^

pchall
04-27-10, 11:07 PM
Your dealer must still have the good stuff... ;)

All I can see in the future besides NASCAR is some kind of Formula Prius. Sorry, the motorsports century has ended.

BarillaGirl
04-28-10, 08:54 AM
Well think about it..that would be the only way Princess Sparkle-Pony would ever be able to even think about winning a championship is by taking out tracks with those pesky left AND right turns...:gomer:

Ooh, let's go ahead and offend the rest of the remaining fans by offering a special Girls' Championship so Danican't will always get press.

FTG
04-28-10, 11:33 AM
the motorsports century has ended.

Probably, but if vinyl records can make a comeback....

Methanolandbrats
04-28-10, 11:56 AM
Your dealer must still have the good stuff... ;)

All I can see in the future besides NASCAR is some kind of Formula Prius. Sorry, the motorsports century has ended.

Correct. I have been arguing that for years. The early 90s (IMSA, CART and F1)were the highpoint and the 1900s were the motor racing century. Car company consolidation, economic problems and Green ******** have killed it. Big dollar, balls-out factory teams are never coming back on a wide scale. Hopefully there are enough rich guys left to keep vintage events going :D

Don Quixote
04-28-10, 12:02 PM
Ooh, let's go ahead and offend the rest of the remaining fans by offering a special Girls' Championship so Danican't will always get press. You joke, but I could see them doing this. The trophy would be called the Diva Cup, and would be modelled after the princess being draped over a car, tramp stamp in full view. :gomer:

G.
04-28-10, 12:03 PM
You joke, but I could see them doing this. The trophy would be called the Diva Cup, and would be modelled after the princess being draped over a car, tramp stamp in full view. :gomer:

Diva Cup sponsored by RealDoll?

Might work.

EVL29
04-28-10, 12:08 PM
She still wouldn't be champ.

Gnam
04-28-10, 12:41 PM
She still wouldn't be champ.

Helio? :p

Indy
04-28-10, 12:41 PM
How about the "Offensive Personality" Cup. She could win that.

Elmo T
04-28-10, 03:37 PM
The awards ceremony will be like the Grammy's now:

Best performance on an Oval
Best performance on a Street Track
Best performance on a Natural Terrain Road Course

And just like the Grammy's we can create a latin group, a "world" group (ala World Music),

Etc...

OR maybe it will be like my son's soccer team. Everyone has to get a trophy.

Don Quixote
04-28-10, 06:20 PM
Best performance on a Street Track
This would be the Parade Cup.

Best performance on a Natural Terrain Road Course
This would be the Nancy Boy Cup.

TKGAngel
04-28-10, 06:23 PM
Ooh, let's go ahead and offend the rest of the remaining fans by offering a special Girls' Championship so Danican't will always get press.

Some marketing genius would probably want to call that the B-Cup.

Don Quixote
04-28-10, 06:26 PM
Some marketing genius would probably want to call that the B-Cup.Only in her dreams. :D

gerhard911
04-28-10, 07:09 PM

I was gonna say she would need implants to qualify but Don Quixote kinda took the wind outta my sails :irked:

Kink
04-28-10, 09:27 PM
I'm So Sorry

If tg said he was sorry,
It wouldn't hold much air
His legacy is empty,
He's an unworthy heir

Take a world class race,
and tarnish it's shine
Mess with the history,
cross a dangerous line

His ball park was his trump card
He was prepared to set the trap
He circled the wagons on 16th street
Then turned the wagons into crap!

BarillaGirl
04-28-10, 10:56 PM

"And our Title 9 champion — wait, shouldn't that be 'championess'? is...."

Methanolandbrats
04-28-10, 11:22 PM
Borrow a page from cabs "The Axe Wound Chase".

Hard Driver
04-30-10, 04:44 PM
Naw...

Apologizing for someone elses mistake 15 years ago does the new CEO no good.

However, I do think some self deprication would be in order, like an "Indycar racing on the best road, street and oval courses is back" campaign.

Cam
04-30-10, 10:51 PM
Naw...

Apologizing for someone elses mistake 15 years ago does the new CEO no good.

However, I do think some self deprication would be in order, like an "Indycar racing on the best road, street and oval courses is back" campaign.

'cept most of the best ovals are gone.:saywhat:

oddlycalm
05-01-10, 03:30 AM
Apology? Make it a public execution and I might reconsider....:\

oc

datachicane
05-03-10, 06:43 PM
I might be swayed by an apology if it were performed by the aggrieving party himself in the traditional manner. on a tatami mat with a poem and wakizashi.

Methanolandbrats
05-03-10, 07:08 PM
Who cares if anyone apologizes, the sport is DOA and never coming back. Although it would be kinda cool to bury FTG up to his neck, pour honey on his head and watch the ants go to work. :thumbup:

datachicane
05-03-10, 09:33 PM
No, no, I've got it- a hideously slow and painful death. Eaten by snails.

pineapple
05-03-10, 09:37 PM
Apology? Make it a public execution and I might reconsider....:\

oc
:thumbup: Works for me. Probably be the only time I'd tune into ReVersus.

chop456
05-04-10, 01:45 AM
I might be swayed by an apology if it were performed by the aggrieving party himself in the traditional manner. on a tatami mat with a poem and wakizashi.

I was thinking of suggesting that, but I'm too dumb to spell it. I was going to say "Like that scene from Harold and Maude, but for real". :D

High Sided
05-04-10, 11:43 AM
no apology needed from Bernard, not yet any way. from the looks of his vision i think one day we all might be owing him a big "Thank You"!

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100429/SPORTS15/4290388/1052/SPORTS01?source=nletter-sports

Elmo T
05-04-10, 12:37 PM
I am less than impressed with his proposed ideas:

-moving the race to 11AM so folks from Chicago and Cincinnati can commute home while the sun is still up? Really? Has anyone on the planet said "I'd like to attend this event, but I don't want to drive home in the dark". Other than my wife's 85yo grandpop? Filling the stands of the IRL500 doesn't make it a better event - better attended, yes... better, no.

-earlier start time for the world's best drivers doing the double. JPM, Hornish, and Stewart will complete the 100% of the top drivers? No one is doing the double because no one cares. Heck, why not make it Saturday. Maybe let NASCAR pick the day.

We have to do it with more story line

Sounds like WWE to me.

We don't need scripted stories or contrived championships.

TKGAngel
05-04-10, 01:00 PM
"I'd like to attend this event, but I don't want to drive home in the dark"

And if that is really a problem, there's a little thing called a hotel room that would alleviate the situation.

And "feature stories" on the drivers and crew members and assorted hangers on might be nice, but if it turns into the Helio Sob Story hour then it's just a waste of valuable air time. And really, with the amount of information on the drivers available on the internets these days, do we really need a feature to tell us that Driver X can play the bongos, and Driver Y is a tiddlywinks champ?

Steve99
05-04-10, 01:17 PM
And "feature stories" on the drivers and crew members and assorted hangers on might be nice, but if it turns into the Helio Sob Story hour then it's just a waste of valuable air time. And really, with the amount of information on the drivers available on the internets these days, do we really need a feature to tell us that Driver X can play the bongos, and Driver Y is a tiddlywinks champ?
"Real Housewives of Marion County" anyone?

Sean Malone
05-04-10, 01:47 PM
And if that is really a problem, there's a little thing called a hotel room that would alleviate the situation.

Exactly. They can't get water from a rock. Most of the driver have been groomed, from the time they were 10 years old racing go-karts, to be devoid of any personality. Ironically, the most interesting story in the whole field is probably Milka's 'Adventures in IndyCar'.

NASCAR's bread and butter has been driver rivalries. If Indy brass would tell the Brazilians and Dario to stop hugging everyone else they might have a chance of creating one. Where's Tracy when they need him? :)

cameraman
05-04-10, 01:59 PM
You folks need to take a look at the Professional Bull Riders and what Randy did to make it a money maker. He doesn't care about sport he cares about money.

He made the bulls into stars, he turned rodeos into WWE-like events. It is all about the music, fireworks and hype. His vision of the IRL has nothing to do with competition on a technical basis, it is pure cookbook excitement, mass produced for for the US public, formulated for a targeted IQ of 80.

That is where the open wheel racing in the US is headed, sit back & enjoy the ride:irked:

Methanolandbrats
05-04-10, 03:18 PM
You folks need to take a look at the Professional Bull Riders and what Randy did to make it a money maker. He doesn't care about sport he cares about money.

He made the bulls into stars, he turned rodeos into WWE-like events. It is all about the music, fireworks and hype. His vision of the IRL has nothing to do with competition on a technical basis, it is pure cookbook excitement, mass produced for for the US public, formulated for a targeted IQ of 80.

That is where the open wheel racing in the US is headed, sit back & enjoy the ride:irked:

True and PBR was easy to sell compared to AOW because many people enjoy watching a large, angry beast try to kill a redneck, I know I do. :thumbup:

oddlycalm
05-04-10, 09:41 PM
True and PBR was easy to sell compared to AOW because many people enjoy watching a large, angry beast try to kill a redneck, I know I do. :thumbup:

:rofl: Can't argue with that.

oc

cameraman
05-05-10, 01:11 AM
Umm suuure. You two are the first people that come to mind when I think PBR crowd.

Methanolandbrats
05-05-10, 09:05 AM
Umm suuure. You two are the first people that come to mind when I think PBR crowd.

I watch it. A friends dad rode in the Don Gay era. Got into it watching old film.

Don Quixote
05-05-10, 12:58 PM
I watch it too. I have a couple of friends that are into it big time, like they know every bull and their breeding going back umpteen generations.

BarillaGirl
05-05-10, 01:08 PM
I do like how, these days, we have enough data to start rooting for the bulls.

Hmm. Maybe if the IRL is running a "race" I will start rooting for the track. :\

STD
05-05-10, 02:07 PM
Only a complete intense swailing will do with the hopes of healthy new growth appearing.

Duroc
05-14-10, 11:48 AM
I get that ropin' Randy is a poor man's Vince McMahon. So what? PBR is just another bit player trying to make a buck off the glut in arenas. See the endless churn of Indoor Whatever Leagues.

In the past, open wheel provided a thrills and spills show for the State Fair or a sexy advert for urban renewal. What in today's market is going to underwrite their production costs and provide an audience? Nobody that wants to stay in the oval track business. The street race subsidies are drying up. Formula Prius at club tracks is where this is headed.

Something, something, core Midwestern audience.

The Dick Ralstin demographic has pretty much crossed over. While the ghosts of Indy shtick provides for good copy it's difficult to generate revenue from the noncorporeal.

TKGAngel
05-14-10, 12:49 PM
Bruton Smith suggests a $20 million jackpot (http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/bruton-smith-on-nascar-race-hub-20-million-for-winning-indy-500-coke-600/) for any driver that wins the double.

Steve99
05-14-10, 02:43 PM
Bruton Smith suggests a $20 million jackpot (http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/bruton-smith-on-nascar-race-hub-20-million-for-winning-indy-500-coke-600/) for any driver that wins the double.

Apparently that was Ropin' Randy's idea, and it was supposed to be a secret until they could hold a big announcement.

Michaelhatesfans
05-14-10, 03:02 PM

:laugh:

Even rednecks pay good money to see that.

Duroc
05-14-10, 03:04 PM
Apparently that was Ropin' Randy's idea, and it was supposed to be a secret until they could hold a big announcement.

Presumably he needed the OK from the Hulman-George clan for their half.

Riiiight. Like that was going to happen.

....no, no, Randy... it was a good idea.... we were just envisioning something along the lines of a chain race.... or maybe Klement's would want to sponsor a costumed sausage go-kart race....

Michaelhatesfans
05-14-10, 03:10 PM
For all that he brought to bull riding, I don't think that he changed the actual product that much. You try to hang on for 8 seconds and hope that your entrails are still inside you when they pull you over the fence. I tune in every once in while (go bulls!) and while the riders are wearing flak jackets, I don't see that much difference than when we used to go when I was a kid (Oregon isn't all lattes and books;)).

Yet he's all over the dildo car idea. I wonder how it would have gone down if he had replaced the bulls with mechanical bulls just to shake things up?

oddlycalm
05-14-10, 04:08 PM
I watch it. A friends dad rode in the Don Gay era. Got into it watching old film.
Yup, same era for me. I got into it by simple proximity. Where I lived in eastern Oregon and Idaho events like the Pendleton Roundup and Caldwell Night Rodeo were huge and everyone went. A lot of smaller ones as well. Not like there was a lot of competition from other events....:) Around here we have the St. Paul rodeo and the Molalla Buckeroo both of which I've been to over the years.

oc

Gnam
05-14-10, 04:32 PM
Needs more buckle bunny...

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2130/9780312369330.jpg