PDA

View Full Version : Jelly beans in a bowl

pchall
04-25-10, 02:44 PM
NASCAR has Talladega back to what the 'necks love. It's the aeroretarded restrictor plate dangerous nonsense on a double wide scale that will inevitably produce a wreck. The France Mafia is probably on their knees praying for a really really Big One to pump the tv numbers and get them primo air time on the evening sports segments and the night time wrap up shows.

Thankfully I have baseball on the radio and a hockey game to switch to as I sleep off the traditional early Sunday dinner. Just think, we used to have real racing and real sport on over the air TV on Sunday afternoons.

trish
04-25-10, 04:34 PM
It's not over yet! We have to wreck some more cars before this race is complete. Is this the last do-over? :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
04-25-10, 04:43 PM
I just tuned into this mind numbing, boring crap. Apparently they are in the Cab version of overtime, WTF is that? The hilljacks are yammering on about it, but it don't make no sense :gomer: edit: **** it, I watched one lap, more wreckn', that's enough Cab eggcitement for me.....off to light the grill.

trish
04-25-10, 04:49 PM
I'm caught up now. This is the last o/t. If they wreck again before the leader takes the white flag, the leader wins under caution. If the leader takes the white flag and then there's a wreck, the leader wins under caution.

That's why they implemented the do-overs, so the fans could have the race finish under green. :saywhat:

pchall
04-25-10, 05:07 PM
Phoenix was leading 4-1 over the 'wings so I switched to catch the neverending of 'dega. The usual utter nonsense. Green/White/Yellow and repeat and repeat... and the 'necks love this stupidity.

Harvick takes McMurray at the line with a slow motion mini slingshot with no ummph in it after leaving the Montoya/whoever drafting choo choo mired in the high groove to take 3rd and 4th. Utter crap.

I remember when Talladega was a spectacular venue for spectacular racing with real cars. A drafting train would lead to a slingshot where the second car would rocket past. The cars raced with the greatest horsepower they could make and the best aero they could conceive within the rules. Now it is cringingly bad and the only "highlight" is the wreck that takes out the greatest number of cars.

Methanolandbrats
04-25-10, 05:23 PM
The Real Earnhardt had the only solution to the plate problem "build higher walls and let us race". :thumbup:

Trevor Longman
04-25-10, 08:24 PM
Jesus did anyone see the finish of the nationwide race?! Cars hitting the catch fencing and exploding into flames. :eek: I swear to god they are gonna kill someone eventually, be it in the cars or in the stands. :shakehead

pchall
04-25-10, 08:43 PM
Jesus did anyone see the finish of the nationwide race?! Cars hitting the catch fencing and exploding into flames. :eek: I swear to god they are gonna kill someone eventually, be it in the cars or in the stands. :shakehead

Missed that, but somebody will embed the YouTube video in this thread, I'm sure. ;)

Anyway, that is exactly the kind of incident I fear that NASCAR's changes for this season will eventually produce. The current NASCAR fanbase loves the on track mêlée and the Big One and they just got it back courtesy of management's obsession with the cult of the driver and hyping the show. I can only shake my head when I see a bit of this stuff because I remember when NASCAR was actually an interesting and in some areas even cutting edge part of motorsports.

extramundane
04-25-10, 09:12 PM
Missed that, but somebody will embed the YouTube video in this thread, I'm sure. ;)

Skip to 1:50
FFmvbWxw4v0

Trevor's pretty much correct- they're not gonna be satisfied 'til LeMans '55 looks like a rush-hour fenderbender.

Tifosi24
04-25-10, 09:32 PM
Watched the video and I will agree with everyone, NASCAR won't change anything until a car goes into the stands. But, given their dwindling attendance, no one will get hurt and they will turn into some marketing ploy.

After watching the crash, it is fair to say that this is "Crash Viewable from Space Part II." I wonder if Casey Mears was in this race, then he can say he was part of both the original and the sequel.

NismoZ
04-25-10, 09:47 PM
They don't need anything quite THAT big. Heck they have a ginuwhine family punch up between Jimmy and Jeffy to look forward to.:gomer: Last year they learned they had to build the catch fence higher, this year they learned THAT brilliant technical development is just what they needed, and it worked!:gomer::gomer:

Methanolandbrats
04-25-10, 10:04 PM
Nice wreck :thumbup: Of course the fans like it, what else is there at a plate race to keep you awake? Most of the time the race looks like the interstate by my house....three wide and drafting .

oddlycalm
04-25-10, 10:57 PM
The Speed Report made sure that we knew that there were a record 88 passes for the lead between 29 different drivers...:gomer: :shakehead That pretty much tells the entire mindnumbingly boring story; 3hrs of snoring followed by Billy Bob WGAF wimping over the line a few feet ahead of some other goober that we also don't care about.

oc

Don Quixote
04-26-10, 09:56 AM
And meanwhile as the flaming wreckage comes to rest the announcers are more concerned about the order in which the survivors will be cued for the restart. Instead of the Goodyear blimp, they should put the space station in geosynchronous orbit above the NASCAR race every weekend so we can see these things from space. :shakehead

Sean Malone
04-26-10, 10:16 AM
The Speed Report made sure that we knew that there were a record 88 passes for the lead between 29 different drivers...:gomer: :shakehead That pretty much tells the entire mindnumbingly boring story; 3hrs of snoring followed by Billy Bob WGAF wimping over the line a few feet ahead of some other goober that we also don't care about.

oc

An old friend of mine who is a huge NASCAR fan posted on his FaceBook page yesterday "FANTASTIC RACE!!!". I instantly knew what a joke it was.:D

NismoZ
04-26-10, 01:30 PM
When you are in row five, hopped up on fumes and beer? ANYthing is exciting. Think about it...How exciting WOULD that "race" have been without the carnage? Gotta think about the needs of the fans, ya know. I honestly believe years ago the great majority of race fans did NOT want to see serious wrecks, but today that can no longer be said. The cars, and thus the drivers are just TOO safe, so watching a guy stagger out of a smoking, flaming pile of twisted metal is exactly what 1000s come to see. Just check the TV commercials, it's CRASHCAR's top selling point.

pchall
04-26-10, 04:28 PM
Just check the TV commercials, it's CRASHCAR's top selling point.

Yes. The Fox promos make me sick.

emjaya
04-26-10, 07:27 PM
It made the six o'clock news over here. They showed the crashes and the finish, but didn't tell me who won.... :rolleyes:

Steve99
04-27-10, 03:04 PM
I remember when NASCAR was actually an interesting and in some areas even cutting edge part of motorsports.
I didn't know anyone was that old. :D

Michaelhatesfans
04-27-10, 03:21 PM
Skip to 1:50

Oh, god, how I wish that I'd heeded your advice...:yuck:

'...here he comes, and he's sayin', "I'll dance with that guy."

'...and he tucks in and he's sayin', "Hey, let's go"

'...and the fuel man is sayin' "Hey, I'll fill that thing"

'...and the flag man is sayin', "Hey, I'll wave this flag"

:yuck::yuck::yuck:

j_d
04-29-10, 10:50 AM
Oh, god, how I wish that I'd heeded your advice...:yuck:

'...here he comes, and he's sayin', "I'll dance with that guy."

'...and he tucks in and he's sayin', "Hey, let's go"

'...and the fuel man is sayin' "Hey, I'll fill that thing"

'...and the flag man is sayin', "Hey, I'll wave this flag"

:yuck::yuck::yuck:

And the wheels on the bus . . .

JohnHKart
04-29-10, 05:39 PM
But...hey...it's good for something. I was totally, pissed off, amped out and stressed out when I lay down to watch this Tuesday night and it did calm me down and then I had a good nap. Woke up and fast forwarded to the end and enjoyed that. But yeah, agree with all the other comments.