PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray playa time

G.
04-24-10, 11:32 PM
Any favorite players? I need wi-fi, or at least I think I do. Can't do wired very easily.

What's the scoop on streaming? Is there a service for occasional downloads (as opposed to monthly charges)?
Can you keep the movie, or is it really just streaming? Don't think the 3.5 MB/s I have is really enough for streaming, tho.

Do you need an external HDrive?

Sort of related, does anyone DL and play from their Wii? That's just low-def, right?

Thanks, Offcamber. :thumbup:

nrc
04-25-10, 02:13 AM
All of the TV and Blu-Ray players that I'm aware of just stream the movie without saving anything. I know Netflix adjusts the quality to fit whatever bandwidth you have. I'm not sure what their minimum bandwidth for HD is.

The downside to that is that if you're on a connection with changing bandwidth your movie can sometimes be interrupted while the service adjusts the quality and then rebuffers.

Netflix has a monthly fee that makes it a bargain if you watch more than a few movies a month. Amazon downloads are available on some players and those are per rental - usually $3-$4 for SD movies and $4-$5 for HD movies, $1 for SD TV series and $2 for HD TV series.

For your ethernet connection just factor in the cost of a wireless bridge if you decide on a unit that doesn't include wireless. You'll want wireless n to ensure enough overhead to maintain an HD stream without rebuffering.

I can't recommend a model, we just get HD downloads on our TiVo.

Rogue Leader
04-25-10, 12:29 PM
Playstation 3.

For $299 you get a player that is infinitely upgradeable (there WILL be even an update to play 3D Blu Ray Discs) with a Hard drive, built in wifi, that you can also stream netflix, access the internet, connect to your PC media server to stream media wirelessley, and an online store to rent/download HD movies.

And yes the Wii only outputs in 480p, the connection on the PS3 will be better (1080p).

oddlycalm
04-25-10, 04:34 PM
The biggest issue/annoyance on BD players has been load time which were glacial on the 1st gen machines and remain slow on most current models. If you're going to use the BD as your only DVD player speed will matter. The Sony BDP-S570 wins the load speed race as of today but you can get the Panasonic DMP-BD45 for half the money ($133) and it's nearly as fast, but no internet connection.

A player that has net connection and reasonable (for BD players) load speed is the 3rd gen Panasonic DMP-BD65. It's less than $150. I bought the 2nd gen BD35 a couple years ago and the image quality has been outstanding on BD and up-converted DVD.

I'm not sold on the net connection feature on BD players for all the reasons Richard mentions. At this point the most useful aspect of the internet connection feature on most of these internet capable machines is to download new firmware without using a flash drive IMO.

My approach to BD would be to get the best functioning BD/DVD function I could for the smallest money and leave internet connection to devices with storage capability. Just my opinion of course. Every device and TV that is being offered now has some kind of net connection but, so far, it's more about a feature war between the big Asian electronics companies than anything that translates into a lot of enjoyment for the end user.

oc

cameraman
04-25-10, 06:04 PM
Every device and TV that is being offered now has some kind of net connection but, so far, it's more about a feature war between the big Asian electronics companies than anything that translates into a lot of enjoyment for the end user.

oc

The web stuff matters in places like Korea where everybody & their dog has a fiber connection. It is just the US with the sludge slow innerweb:irked:

oddlycalm
04-25-10, 10:46 PM
The web stuff matters in places like Korea where everybody & their dog has a fiber connection. It is just the US with the sludge slow innerweb:irked:
Right, and if you do have enough bandwidth they hit you with overage charges when the meter goes beyond a set level. A 2hr HD movie is around 10GB so it adds up fast.

oc

Steve99
04-27-10, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure the load times are that big a deal anymore on the new players. The discs are going to make you sit through multiple anti-piracy/copyright warnings in various languages anyhow before you can get to your movie.

Another option for streaming movies to BluRay players is Vudu, which charges per movie, and offers SD, HD, and HDX options. They were recently acquired by WalMart though, so they may go to ****.

KLang
04-30-10, 05:48 PM
Review (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tests-reviews/media-players/2010/04/sony-bdp-s570) of the Sony BDP-S570.

nissan gtp
04-30-10, 06:34 PM
Review (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/tests-reviews/media-players/2010/04/sony-bdp-s570) of the Sony BDP-S570.

looks nice :thumbup:

KLang
04-30-10, 07:10 PM
looks nice :thumbup:

Yes it does. I don't really need another at the moment but it is tempting. :cool:

chop456
05-01-10, 08:38 AM
I have the BDP-N460 and so far, so good. Don't use it much, but it does work. :gomer:

dando
03-02-11, 05:54 PM
OK, so I did the upgrade to a BR player over the weekend. Netflix wants $5 extra to add BR discs to my account. Is it really worth it? I ended up getting a $ony 3D/WiFi model from Sam's for ~$140...initial setup, streaming, etc. have worked out well (I had/have more problems getting the HK remote software for Windoze 7). And yes, I took a shower after buying a $ony product.

-Kevin

Insomniac
03-02-11, 06:27 PM
OK, so I did the upgrade to a BR player over the weekend. Netflix wants $5 extra to add BR discs to my account. Is it really worth it? I ended up getting a $ony 3D/WiFi model from Sam's for ~$140...initial setup, streaming, etc. have worked out well (I had/have more problems getting the HK remote software for Windoze 7). And yes, I took a shower after buying a $ony product.

-Kevin

It's basically a comparison between upscaled DVDs and true HD. All depends on the viewer if it matters, right?

nrc
05-05-11, 02:08 AM
Our busted DVD player is triggering a Blu Ray purchase (which has cascaded into an A/V audio update). We don't need streaming movies or interwebs. Don't need 3D since our TV won't do it. I just want to put the disk in and have it play. Fast load time, great picture, and some confidence that it will last until there's a good reason to buy something else.

Any better ideas than the LG BD630?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD630-Network-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B004MSI7UQ

KLang
05-05-11, 07:46 AM
You can't go wrong with OPPO (http://www.oppodigital.com/), except maybe the price.

dando
05-05-11, 09:39 AM
Our busted DVD player is triggering a Blu Ray purchase (which has cascaded into an A/V audio update). We don't need streaming movies or interwebs. Don't need 3D since our TV won't do it. I just want to put the disk in and have it play. Fast load time, great picture, and some confidence that it will last until there's a good reason to buy something else.

Any better ideas than the LG BD630?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-BD630-Network-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B004MSI7UQ

I hate to admit it, but the $ony we bought from Sam's works really well. They had LG and $ony models...LG was a bit more @ >$100 w/o WiFi and the $ony was <$100 w/WiFi. DVDs load quickly and the streaming works great as well.

-Kevin

cameraman
05-05-11, 12:40 PM
I got a Sony BDP-S370. It works just fine. Picture quality is very good, no motion issues or anything like that. Mine is plugged into an Apple base station so I did not need it to be wireless, tcp/ip configuration was pretty much automatic. Pandora works fine, it has Netflix but I don't partake. It isn't 3D, I prefer my TV without the bonus migraine. It is HDMI only - no analog 5.1 or 7.1 audio ports. You can get it for $109 on Amazon.

dando
05-05-11, 12:50 PM
I got a Sony BDP-S370. It works just fine. Picture quality is very good, no motion issues or anything like that. Mine is plugged into an Apple base station so I did not need it to be wireless, tcp/ip configuration was pretty much automatic. Pandora works fine, it has Netflix but I don't partake. It isn't 3D, I prefer my TV without the bonus migraine. It is HDMI only - no analog 5.1 or 7.1 audio ports. You can get it for $109 on Amazon.

Looks like the same model I bought. Sometimes the model #s change for certain big box retailers, but the models are actually the same. :saywhat: This prevents price matching. :flame: My only gripe with the unit is that the front panel controls are hard to find...which wouldn't be an issue if my Harman Kardon/Harmony remote had Windoze 7 software to program the remote. :irked: :mad:

-Kevin

KLang
05-05-11, 12:58 PM
I think the boss is not a Sony fan, correct?

rosawendel
05-05-11, 01:08 PM
We have the Sony BDP S570. We paid $160 on amazon in December. I've used the wireless to watch youtube videos, but the interweb interface is cumbersome to use with the remote - like texting on a motorola razr (and with the Logitech remote, I don't even bother). Also, we only use On Demand for movies (we don'[t watch nearly enough to justify Netflix). Other than that (and the occasional slow-loading software updates), it's fine.

G.
05-05-11, 01:10 PM
I have zero complaints with the Panasonic DMP-BD65, except that the wi-fi is an add-on (and prices have gone UP for the dongle).

Curious as to what you don't want wi-fi.

Our connection is mostly used for SW updates and Pandora, but even Pandora has moved to the Xbox. I haven't jumped to streaming movies yet...

cameraman
05-05-11, 01:54 PM
It seems the Sony BDP-s370 is being replaced with the BDP-s380. Actually all the Sony Blu-rays are being replaced. The 2011 models are BDP-s380, -s480 and -s580.

dando
05-05-11, 02:06 PM

I'm not either, but is there another option? I mean BR is $ony tech. They won the format war....for once. :saywhat:

Oh, and Sam's had a progressive scan model for ~$40, but those are few and far b/w these days.

-Kevin

nrc
05-06-11, 09:10 PM

I would say that we've had a parting of the ways. I had a lot of Sony products that I loved in the '90s but in this century it's been pretty hit and miss. Love my old rear projection Wega but I'm tired of memory sticks and stuff that doesn't work with anything else. Sony just don't have a competitive edge to force that kind of nonsense anymore.

I did seriously look at the S370 and S380. Looking at the user's guide it reminded of why I've fallen out of love with them. For most options there is "Sony Way" and "Off". The LG appears to have a wider choice of options for things like how surround is passed or transformed, sample frequencies, etc.

So I have acquired the LG. I'll let you know how it goes.

nrc
05-08-11, 11:48 PM
So far, so good. Loads fast, plays discs, picture looks good.

Is it worth connecting to the network just for Blu Ray Live stuff? I have wired networking at the entertainment center. I just don't want to stick a switch in there if it's not worthwhile and I won't use Netflix on the BD player.

Tragically to get all our gear connected I had to upgrade our A/V receiver as well. :gomer: Happy with a new Pioneer VSX-921-K (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-921-K). I got five different types of Apple compatibility and no Apple stuff but I love the way HDMI switching has cleaned up the back of the AV rack. Now we're rocking the up-converted VHS and Laser Disc. :p

Trevor Longman
05-09-11, 12:45 AM
Playstation 3.

For $299 you get a player that is infinitely upgradeable (there WILL be even an update to play 3D Blu Ray Discs) with a Hard drive, built in wifi, that you can also stream netflix, access the internet, connect to your PC media server to stream media wirelessley, and an online store to rent/download HD movies.

And yes the Wii only outputs in 480p, the connection on the PS3 will be better (1080p).

I'll second that. The video streaming and reading is flawless, not to mention the thousands of movies available on demand through the playstation store.

WickerBill
05-09-11, 01:43 PM
I'm really happy with my cheap-o LG BR player and the streaming it does. Effortless, even for the challenged in my family.

dando
08-06-11, 08:03 PM
OK. My first BR disc experience via Redbox (Despicable Me), and it's pretty :cool:. Redbox<Netflix so far. :(

-Kevin

Elmo T
08-07-11, 08:26 AM
I see serious upgrades ahead in your Disney movie collection. Keep an eye out for the combo-packs: BR, DVD, and a digital copy for the iPod. New releases generally are preceded by a $5 off coupon. <insert WDW dork smilie here>

Wall-E and Ratatouille are impressive on the BR.

G.
08-07-11, 10:54 AM
I usually grab the combo packs. :thumbup:

Serious question, though.

Are well-made cartoons, CGI, animation of some sort ANY different on BR vs. upconverting DVD players?

I really don't believe so.

In fact, I think most movies on upCon DVD look the same as BR. I don't see a big difference. But I'm not a video/audio-phile, and have never done side-by-fooking-side.

Anyone?

gerhard911
08-07-11, 12:29 PM
What type and size are your display ? Less than 46" I'd say most folks would be had pressed to see a difference. Even tougher to tell if the display is not native 1080p.

Insomniac
08-07-11, 12:45 PM
I usually grab the combo packs. :thumbup:

Serious question, though.

Are well-made cartoons, CGI, animation of some sort ANY different on BR vs. upconverting DVD players?

I really don't believe so.

In fact, I think most movies on upCon DVD look the same as BR. I don't see a big difference. But I'm not a video/audio-phile, and have never done side-by-fooking-side.

Anyone?

From a technical perspective they have to be. By definition DVD has a maximum resolution of 720x480 and HD is 1920x1080. There is more information in the HD video and the upconversion is using algorithms to improve the 720x480. I'd assume since animation is so clean, that puts the algorithms in a great position to upconvert, but at the end of the day, they are creating information to augment the source. The HD has all the information in the source.

G.
08-07-11, 03:33 PM
It's a 46", native 1080p (Sharp Aquos). Might be 43, but I think it's 46.

My upconverting DVD player was really really impressive, I guess. :\