PDA

View Full Version : Calling all computer geeks

TravelGal
04-23-10, 06:25 PM
Need a job? From today's agent briefing:

Problems Plague New Air Traffic Control Computers
New computers crucial to modernizing the U.S. air traffic control system have run into serious problems and may not be fully operational by the end of this year when the current system is supposed to be replaced said Calvin Scovel, DOT Inspector General. "The $2.1 billion computer system has misidentified aircraft and had trouble processing radar information," he told a House panel. He also said air traffic controllers were having difficulty transferring responsibility for planes to other controllers. These problems could delay the FAA's NextGen program to replace the current air traffic control system, which is based on World War II-era radar technology, with a new system that's based on GPS technology. The troubled computer system, called En Route Automation Modernization, is designed to handle aircraft flying at higher altitudes between airports, rather than planes taking off or landing. While not specifically part of the NextGen program, it is a critical underpinning. The FAA is spending $14 million a month trying to resolve the problems and get the system working
emphasis added. :)

dando
04-23-10, 07:19 PM
The FAA is spending $14 million a month trying to resolve the problems and get the system working

Smells like Y2K redux. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Gnam
04-23-10, 08:09 PM
What's the worst that could happen? :tony:

oddlycalm
04-23-10, 10:06 PM
This is probably the 10th system we have paid the planning charges for since 1970 and it's the first to actually see hardware built. The rest were scrapped on the drawing board because they were obsolete before they were ready for production. Like any other massive system the planning cycle is longer than the new technology cycle at which point nobody wants the thing. Meanwhile, we're using a system that was obsolete 40yrs ago. :shakehead

It doesn't help that lawyers and politicians are involved at the funding and approval stages. Since they are ignorant of the operational details they aren't able to pull the trigger on time and get bogged down for years in contract discussions that don't assure anyone of anything except failure.

The reality is that there are always going to be problems and reasons not to do it but at the end of the day it has to get done so what's the point of hand wringing? The alternative is to shut the whole thing down and let people take the bus.

oc

FTG
04-25-10, 03:57 PM
Another example of government waste. Don't take the pilots freedom. Let them fly wherever they want.

oddlycalm
04-25-10, 04:39 PM
Another example of government waste. Don't take the pilots freedom. Let them fly wherever they want. :rofl: :thumbup:

oc

Indy
04-25-10, 11:01 PM
^^^ :laugh::laugh::laugh:

chop456
04-26-10, 06:53 AM
The troubled computer system, called En Route Automation Modernization...

E-RAM? :saywhat::gomer:

TravelGal
04-26-10, 01:47 PM
E-RAM? :saywhat::gomer:

:laugh: I hadn't noticed that. Seems appropriate for what's happening to the consumer in all of this.

Steve99
04-27-10, 02:59 PM
The FAA is spending $14 million a month trying to resolve the problems and get the system working

They should outsource the work, and then they'd only waste money at half the rate.

TravelGal
06-02-10, 07:32 PM
One of the things I love about the newsletter I read every day is that the editor sometimes includes press release articles in all their gory glory with no additional comment. Like this. New boss, meet the old boss.

FAA Awards Contracts For Next Gen
The FAA awarded three contracts for its new air traffic control system worth up to $4.4 billion. Next Gen features a satellite-based system to track planes and will replace the current radar-based air traffic control system, which relies on World War 11-era technology. Boeing, General Dynamics and ITT will perform large-scale demonstrations to see how procedures and technologies of Next Generation Air Transportation System can be incorporated into the current air traffic system. The work will be carried out over the next 10 years. The companies are charged to develop an new weather tracking system that would allow pilots and air traffic controllers to see bad weather at different altitudes.

stroker
06-02-10, 08:35 PM
Oh, fabulous. My 80-something year old mother is flying from St. Louis to John Wayne Intl. as I type this.

I feel so much better now...

nissan gtp
06-02-10, 09:58 PM
One of the things I love about the newsletter I read every day is that the editor sometimes includes press release articles in all their gory glory with no additional comment. Like this. New boss, meet the old boss.

FAA Awards Contracts For Next Gen
The FAA awarded three contracts for its new air traffic control system worth up to $4.4 billion. Next Gen features a satellite-based system to track planes and will replace the current radar-based air traffic control system, which relies on World War 11-era technology. Boeing, General Dynamics and ITT will perform large-scale demonstrations to see how procedures and technologies of Next Generation Air Transportation System can be incorporated into the current air traffic system. The work will be carried out over the next 10 years. The companies are charged to develop an new weather tracking system that would allow pilots and air traffic controllers to see bad weather at different altitudes.

I found three reasons this will fail and use up tons of money: Boeing, General Dynamics and ITT

FAIL :thumdown:

grungex
06-02-10, 10:12 PM
When did World War 11 happen? And what happened to WW's 3-10?

Methanolandbrats
06-02-10, 10:28 PM
Pay Steve Jobs a million each to paint the towers white and stencil an Apple on the top....problem solved. ;)

Insomniac
06-08-10, 05:01 PM
What attempt # is this to modernize the traffic control system?

oddlycalm
06-08-10, 06:37 PM
What attempt # is this to modernize the traffic control system?
Every FAA administrator since Langhorne Bond (1977-1981) has had a bite at it, so that would make ~10 attempts. The big kickoff was back when Carter was president. I recall reading an article about it and an inteview with Bond in Flying magazine in 1977.

The other side of this story is that the Airport and Airway Trust Fund (AATF) has accumulated a massive surplus of many $$$ billions since it went into effect in 1970 and every administration since 1980 has used it to help show a balanced budget. To say there has been considerable inertia to not spend it would be accurate. That has led to some questions about whether the users of the system are getting what they are paying all that excise tax for.

oc

Insomniac
06-09-10, 12:39 PM
Every FAA administrator since Langhorne Bond (1977-1981) has had a bite at it, so that would make ~10 attempts. The big kickoff was back when Carter was president. I recall reading an article about it and an inteview with Bond in Flying magazine in 1977.

The other side of this story is that the Airport and Airway Trust Fund (AATF) has accumulated a massive surplus of many $$$ billions since it went into effect in 1970 and every administration since 1980 has used it to help show a balanced budget. To say there has been considerable inertia to not spend it would be accurate. That has led to some questions about whether the users of the system are getting what they are paying all that excise tax for.

oc

And if I'm not mistaken, they've actually paid out money most of those times to design/build the systems, but they were simply junk and never implemented.