PDA

View Full Version : Vale: Juan Antonio Samaranch

opinionated ow
04-21-10, 09:37 AM
Former IOC Chief Juan Antonio Samaranch has died today after a cardio-respiratory arrest. He was 89.

Juan took the Olympics into the big time and for me provided one of the highlights of my life when he announced that "The Winner is Syd-a-ney." RIP to one of the true heroes of sports administration.

http://www.news.com.au/world/former-ioc-president-juan-antonio-samaranch-dead-at-89/story-e6frfkyi-1225856618573

Methanolandbrats
04-21-10, 09:51 AM
The Bernie of aerobic sports.

TrueBrit
04-21-10, 10:48 AM
Yeah, sorry, no love from me either..

TravelGal
04-21-10, 12:31 PM
Well I am sorry. He did great things for the Olympics. As with most rulers, however, he carried on for one or even two too many olympiads and proceeded to do harm to the olympic movement at the end of his career, IMHO. Still, we should all be able to contribute as much as he did to the world. I thought he looked very bad in Vancouver and I am saddened at his passing.

Methanolandbrats
04-21-10, 12:39 PM
Well I am sorry. He did great things for the Olympics. As with most rulers, however, he carried on for one or even two too many olympiads and proceeded to do harm to the olympic movement at the end of his career, IMHO. Still, we should all be able to contribute as much as he did to the world. I thought he looked very bad in Vancouver and I am saddened at his passing.

Exactly why he's just like Bernie.

TravelGal
04-21-10, 03:59 PM
I see you point and it's probably a good comparison but I still won't shed the tiniest tear when Bernie goes.

Michaelhatesfans
04-22-10, 02:04 PM
Hello. My name is Juan Antonio Samaranch. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Boatdesigner
04-23-10, 12:05 AM
Hello. My name is Juan Antonio Samaranch. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Did he have 6 fingers? Sorry, couldn't resist. RIP.

ChampcarShark
04-27-10, 01:10 PM
I used to love the olimpics before they became professional.

It was awesome to see all the young persons get a break at professionalism. In the new era, professionals are denying a place in history for the youth.

Now I would not attend even if they are hosted in my home town.

Nevertheless, RIP Mr. Samaranch.