PDA

View Full Version : do pit crews instantly become stupid as soon as they get to the IRL?

RaceChic
06-07-03, 09:40 PM
During the IRL race in Texas, Tomas Wreckter's car was taken off the jacks and was signaled to leave the pit box. WTF was this dude (pit crew member) thinking? The fueler still had the nozzle in the darn car and was reaching as the car was pulling away and he couldn't pull it out. It disconnected simply because of tension on the line alone. Then the butt of the fueling man's suit catches fire. He is rolling on the ground with other crew members jumping on him and throwing water on him. Then to top it all off, a second crew member catches fire too.
Wow! That's a hot a**! :shakehead :rolleyes: :shakehead :rolleyes:

Glad everyone turned out to be okay though...... :thumbup:

Dr. Corkski
06-07-03, 10:47 PM
Dunno how long you have been watching racing, but this sort of "stupidity" has never been limited to the IRL alone. Try again.

RaceChic
06-07-03, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Dunno how long you have been watching racing, but this sort of "stupidity" has never been limited to the IRL alone. Try again.

Whatever. I think you know what I am getting at. :rolleyes:

rocket
06-07-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago

certainly not limited to just the irl...just more consistent there.

Dr. Corkski
06-07-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Whatever. I think you know what I am getting at. :rolleyes: No, not really. I see many things wrong that are exclusive to the IRL but feel free to explain how this is suddenly a new problem that has only just popped up within the existance of the IRL.

Didn't something similar happened with Kanaan's crew at Mexico City last year?

nrc
06-07-03, 11:33 PM
Seems to me like Jeemy took off with the fuel line plugged in and Tracy ended up with a lose wheel rolling across the track in Milwaukee.

I wonder what percentage of the IRL's ratings are people who don't like the series but just tune in to look for something to complain about?

Railbird
06-08-03, 01:40 AM
it happens, to everyone.

But

I will have to give full marks to the Hemelgarn crew last year when they tried to refuel a car that was already on fire.

Of course if you listened to my boy PT last week you might think that his crew was the only one that ever screwed up.

RaceChic
06-08-03, 02:36 AM
Just another good laugh at the expense of the IRL. The best kind, really. :p

Fortunately, nobody got hurt in this one. :D

cart7
06-08-03, 08:18 AM
originally posted by Railbird
I will have to give full marks to the Hemelgarn crew last year when they tried to refuel a car that was already on fire.

The Schekter thing was just one of those racing deals. But last years screw-up by Hemelgarn at Richmond was one of those
What were they thinking? deals.

pchall
06-08-03, 10:13 AM
As the chances for on track passing diminish, the pit crews get more desparate to make a difference and this is what happens.

RaceChic
06-08-03, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
Of course if you listened to my boy PT last week you might think that his crew was the only one that ever screwed up.

Yours??? He's mine!!!! ;)

Railbird
06-08-03, 10:39 PM
Yours??? He's mine!!!!

Sorry Chic, I started reading about the Thrill from West Hill in On Track magazine during his FF days. First got to see him race at Mid Ohio in the rain on his way to the Indy Lights title.

If fact, for a few of us, being a PT fan used to be a lot more fun when most CART fans didn't like him becuase of his "tactics".

Buncha bandwagon jumpers

Lizzerd
06-08-03, 11:03 PM
Buncha bandwagon jumpers

Guilty.

RaceChic
06-09-03, 07:45 AM
Yours??? He's mine!!!! Sorry Chic, I started reading about the Thrill from West Hill in On Track magazine during his FF days. First got to see him race at Mid Ohio in the rain on his way to the Indy Lights title.

But I grew up in West Hill and saw him at High School parties. :D
Not that he neccessarily knows me from Adam. :cool:
Been following him way long time, dude. :p

Railbird
06-09-03, 09:04 AM
Kind of aging yourself aren't you Chic?

RaceChic
06-09-03, 10:05 AM
Kind of aging yourself aren't you Chic?

Unfortunately, it's inevitable bird. :(
That's okay. You and I can still keep up and give 'em a run for their money, eh(spoken like a true Canuck)? :D :D :D

formulaben
06-09-03, 04:16 PM
it happens, to everyone.

But

Wow, just reading that sentence made my day, bird! I never saw it, but it certainly gave me a good laugh. It reminds me of my first job at a gas station. The guy training me told me that you'll see some crazy stuff here, and I asked "like what?" He then related a story about a guy with a car that's completely on fire, so he pulls into the gas station for help...

Dr. Corkski
09-19-03, 03:37 AM
Bit of foreshadowing, perhaps? ;)

http://www.cart.com/Content/Photos/2003/By400/20030831P_0033.jpg

RaceChic
09-19-03, 06:29 AM
^ That really had me freaking out! ^
Ryan Hunter-Reay has poked his nose out in the lead as my favorite driver and the look on his face after he got out of the car was clearly evident of how frightened he really was. That look on his face really disturbed me. :(

FRANKY
09-19-03, 10:33 AM
It's as easy to fix as NASCAR racing to yellows was.

Chitowncartfreak
09-19-03, 10:37 AM
I think the IRL is going through something that CART went through in 1999 with injuries due to teams rushing pit stops to gain every advantage. The difference is that CART immediately took a look at the situation and took steps to fix it. I haven't seen a whole lot of concern in the IRL to take a look at their current problem.

Ankf00
09-19-03, 11:12 AM
pouring fuel on an immolation certainly takes the cake.

Point goes to the Hemelgarn/Lazier burning rocket special.

JoeBob
09-19-03, 11:36 AM
The thing I don't get is that the IRL completely redesigned their cars for this year, yet they didn't move to single probe refueling, and they kept the airjack next to the vent hose.

CART was able to make the switch mid-season, so it can't be that hard to do. Yet they didn't do it.