PDA

View Full Version : Didn't Stay Up For It, but...

NismoZ
04-03-10, 10:33 AM
About as close to a reverse grid as we're going to get, I'd say. F-1 wants more passing? This should fit the bill. Wet/dry qualifying, dry race? That should reveal a few things. How can Red Bull blow this one? Let me count the ways!:D

Methanolandbrats
04-03-10, 10:39 AM
Dry race? I doubt it. Most likely another red flag special.

NismoZ
04-03-10, 11:47 AM
True, thus the (?) I was just trying to imagine as many variables as possible to spice things up. Better than all wet or all dry or a Red Bull 1-2. Let's see something unexpected, Like a Cosworth on the podium or something. I DEMAND to be entertained!:gomer:

High Sided
04-03-10, 12:23 PM
i think the racing gods may even want to see this one without rain, here's hoping so. ;)

Methanolandbrats
04-03-10, 01:13 PM
i think the racing gods may even want to see this one without rain, here's hoping so. ;)

Hope is a good thing, but,,,, tropics + high sun angle + dewpoint in upper 70s = thunderstorms EVERY afternoon. At least the red flag laps are broadcast in Europe at a convenient time. :D

oddlycalm
04-03-10, 10:24 PM
Probably the last year for the cocktail hour start. If Australia was too dark Malaysia doesn't have a prayer of passing muster. If Max had been doing his job all this could have been avoided.

not enough light according to FIA measurements (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82675)

oc

WickerBill
04-04-10, 10:20 PM
Very fun race to watch, you naysaying Nellies.

Methanolandbrats
04-04-10, 10:30 PM
Good race. Vettel on the way to WDC. Webber is his lapdog. Good drive by Fred, but he's still a prick. Hammy should quit driving with his mirrors, he's a flaming orifice. The comrade has some talent.

Gnam
04-05-10, 12:38 AM
The comrade has some talent.
Da. Is good.

Also, more evidence to support the opinion that Button is a cruiser, not a racer. Give him a superior car out front, and he'll drive away with it. Anything less and he's happy to stay put.

I liked the Speed pre race show without a pit reporter. There were more driver interviews and less looking at parked race cars. :thumbup:

WickerBill
04-05-10, 07:16 AM
Gnam, you mean you didn't consider the interview of the grid girl last week to be crucial to the broadcast?

Sean Malone
04-05-10, 09:38 AM
Good race. Vettel on the way to WDC. Webber is his lapdog. Good drive by Fred, but he's still a prick. Hammy should quit driving with his mirrors, he's a flaming orifice. The comrade has some talent.

I'm leaning more to agreeing with a Vettel championship myself. It will be an epic battle...but he's definitely the rabbit.

High Sided
04-05-10, 10:13 AM
i think pit reporter Leigh Gillet has been doing a great job especially this week in the booth with the boys. that may be his last broadcast being he is a temporary replacement with peters job being given to Will Buxton.

Sean Malone
04-05-10, 10:20 AM
i think pit reporter Leigh Gillet has been doing a great job especially this week in the booth with the boys. that may be his last broadcast being he is a temporary replacement with peters job being given to Will Buxton.

Leigh Diffey?

SteveH
04-05-10, 10:29 AM
Diffey was in the booth as Varsha was in Palm Beach for the Barrett-Jackson auction.

Easy
04-05-10, 12:45 PM
Westbury Gillet has had various production jobs in F1 broadcasting through the years including I believe producing the world feed for a couple of the USGPs at Indy. He did a respectable job for a guy who is usually behind the scenes and I'm sure its not easy to build chemistry in two events with guys in a studio half way round the world.

Does SPEED just hire someone who is already at the GPs so they don't have to pay travel costs? Windsor was already at every GP, Gillet's full time gig is with Bernie's television company, Buxton is EIC of an F1 magazine which likely pays for his travel...

High Sided
04-05-10, 01:33 PM
Leigh Diffey?

i thought it was Gillet in the booth, my mistake. change that to i thought Leigh Diffy did a great job with the boys.

article on the hire of Will Buxton...
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/speed-fox-team-for-2010-f1-new-grid-reporter-introduced//P1/

more on Buxton...
http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/about/

Sean Malone
04-05-10, 02:01 PM
i thought it was Gillet in the booth, my mistake. change that to i thought Leigh Diffy did a great job with the boys.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/speed-fox-team-for-2010-f1-new-grid-reporter-introduced//P1/

more on Buxton...

I thought he did an admirable job. Stepped in, got it done without annoying me.

I like Varsha though. He's got the tenure, he is a good contrast to his English partners, he's intelligent without being a condescending like that twit Cheever.

During the first race of this year Bruno Senna lifted his visor while he was broken on the side of the track, I was amazed at how much he resembled his famous uncle with his helmet on. Seeing the yellow, blue and green helmet and those familiar Senna eyes coupled with Varsha just seconds later mentioning the same...took me right back to May of '94. Just a guess but I think Varsha may have felt the same.

Steve99
04-05-10, 02:26 PM
They got lucky it didn't rain on raceday and wash their event away.

Gnam, you mean you didn't consider the interview of the grid girl last week to be crucial to the broadcast?
Based on the Bahrain race, I thought that was going to be the highlight of the broadcast. Luckily, I was wrong.

I missed having a reporter on the grid though.

It will be interesting to see if Red Bull can maintain a speed advantage throughout the season, or if the others will catch up. It seems like attrition from the front-runners is higher this year also, so that could keep things interesting.

Indy
04-05-10, 07:09 PM
Leigh Diffey?

Forget it, he's rolling.

opinionated ow
04-05-10, 07:51 PM
Leigh Diffey?

You can keep him. Please keep that stupid, patronising, condescending ****; he ruined motorsport commentary in Australia. You can have Greg Rust if you like too...

oddlycalm
04-05-10, 08:16 PM
Yup, good race. Again. :thumbup: Once again we saw an display array of driving talent from drivers old and new. Nice day for Sutil.

There should be a rule stipulating Alonso must drive a crippled car in all races. :D

After last season I thought that Ferrari would have learned about sitting on their hands during qualifying. Obviously I wuz wrong, but whoever does their qualifying strategy needs a permanent vacation. And McLaren might want to broaden their focus from watching Ferrari and getting gulled into making the same mistake.

Didn't miss Twitberry Gillfish. At all.

oc

emjaya
04-05-10, 09:30 PM

more on Buxton...

Will Buxton, the 29-year-old founding editor of GPWeek magazine, will report from the grid, replacing Peter Windsor, whose efforts remain focused on his start-up US F1 project.

:laugh:

grungex
04-05-10, 10:10 PM

Why did they make them wear camping tents?

STD
04-05-10, 10:44 PM
:laugh:

Insomniac
05-02-10, 11:57 AM
I'm late to the party, but am I the only one who thought them having a fit over Hamilton trying to break Petrov's tow was a legitimate move? They have no problem with blocking, but Hamilton moving first is a problem?