PDA

View Full Version : Guam will tip over

Ankf00
04-01-10, 03:53 PM
zNZczIgVXjg

according to this congressman.

he thinks islands float and are somehow chained to the seabed.

:cry:

Gnam
04-01-10, 04:25 PM
wot? :saywhat:

Funny if it's an April fools.
Epic if it's not. :thumbup:

TravelGal
04-01-10, 04:39 PM
And here I thought the title was Gnam will tip over. ;)

Don Quixote
04-01-10, 05:23 PM
It is no April fool's joke. It is real. Sweet Lord. These people make decisions every day that affect all of us. :yuck:

oddlycalm
04-01-10, 06:07 PM
The best part is the admirals response. :cool: This is where all the years of training and experience pay off. Can you imagine what's going through his head as he realizes he has less than 10 seconds to put together a response that is polite yet counters the island capsize theory? :laugh:

I couldn't pull that off with a straight face. Hell, I don't even know if I could stop myself from laughing to the point of tears asking him "fer real...?"...:gomer:

oc

stroker
04-01-10, 06:08 PM
Jeez, didn't you guys know that islands can capsize? Next thing you'll be telling me that Congress critter who asked to see if the Mars rovers could get some video of the American flag the astronauts left on Mars didn't know what she was talking about...

datachicane
04-01-10, 06:24 PM
Not that I'd be prone to either defend Mr. Johnson or underestimate the depths of ignorance afflicting my fellow citizens, but the most plausible explanation would seem to be that it was a very lame and poorly delivered attempt at humor.

That said, lameness and ignorance are equally fair game in my book, so fire away!
:gomer:

stroker
04-02-10, 01:29 AM
...it was a very lame and poorly delivered attempt at humor.

That's how they're trying to spin it...

Michaelhatesfans
04-02-10, 02:55 AM
Even if it were the most poorly delivered piece of humor in the history of verbal communication, it doesn't excuse him sounding like he's coming off of a three day drunk.:saywhat:

Very happy with the "not affiliated with any political party" section on my voter ID card, thank you very much.

TKGAngel
04-02-10, 08:18 AM
That's how they're trying to spin it...

Newsweek is trying to spin it as a side effect of the treatments he's receiving for Hepatitis C.

Ankf00
04-02-10, 03:41 PM
Jeez, didn't you guys know that islands can capsize? Next thing you'll be telling me that Congress critter who asked to see if the Mars rovers could get some video of the American flag the astronauts left on Mars didn't know what she was talking about...

I believe you're speaking of Houston's very own Sheila Jackson Lee, and how very proud of her we all are :D

STD
04-02-10, 04:30 PM
Very happy with the "not affiliated with any political party" section on my voter ID card, thank you very much.

:thumbup:

oddlycalm
04-02-10, 06:02 PM
Newsweek is trying to spin it as a side effect of the treatments he's receiving for Hepatitis C.
This just in (http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thehumancondition/archive/2010/04/02/hank-johnson-guam-and-hepatitis-c-us-rep-suffers-from-too-common-illness.aspx)
Newsweek Update: This article originally stated that The Atlanta Journal-Constitution article ran this Monday. In fact, it ran Monday, Dec. 7, 2009. Johnson's office informed me today that the congressman is finished with his treatments and—according to a March 12 press release—feels good, though he remains committed to raising awareness and funds for hep C prevention and treatment. We regret the error. You may now resume mocking his Guam comments

Nevermind [/Emily Litella]

So what's Newsweek's excuse...:gomer:

Gnam
04-02-10, 06:31 PM

Would you consider the Affirmative Action for Hot Chicks party?
It's a limited one plank platform focused on a single issue, but the cause is just. :gomer:

coolhand
04-03-10, 03:35 AM
The best part is the admirals response. :cool: This is where all the years of training and experience pay off. Can you imagine what's going through his head as he realizes he has less than 10 seconds to put together a response that is polite yet counters the island capsize theory? :laugh:

I couldn't pull that off with a straight face. Hell, I don't even know if I could stop myself from laughing to the point of tears asking him "fer real...?"...:gomer:

oc

HE should get a Medal of Honor for keeping a straight face.

coolhand
04-03-10, 03:37 AM
He normally talks and says weird things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALoQMzo00rs&feature=player_embedded

NismoZ
04-03-10, 11:58 AM
Not being party affiliated may be a good thing but having that card probably makes you Congress affiliated and therein lies the major problem. Think about ol' Maxine threatening that oil exec with " uh...uh...we...we'll SOCIALIZE you!" The reaction of the people around her was priceless!

Indy
04-03-10, 01:40 PM
I have nothing but despair when I see things like this. I really don't think we are capable of governing ourselves. Tyranny is inevitable because it will be necessary.

I just keep thinking about Golgafrincham.

STD
04-03-10, 04:08 PM
I laugh a lot. People usually get what they deserve in most every case. Voting the party line is as useless as not voting at all.

Ankf00
04-03-10, 07:36 PM
We need sand bags and pier beams on the double!!

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ny330bg/Images/guam_fltline2.jpg

Michaelhatesfans
04-03-10, 07:45 PM
Not being party affiliated may be a good thing but having that card probably makes you Congress affiliated and therein lies the major problem. Think about ol' Maxine threatening that oil exec with " uh...uh...we...we'll SOCIALIZE you!" The reaction of the people around her was priceless!

It just means that no one gets my vote because of a particular letter next to their name. I'm in the group that can sway elections, but gets ignored in pretty much every election cycle. I reward and punish accordingly.:cool:

Michaelhatesfans
04-03-10, 07:48 PM
Would you consider the Affirmative Action for Hot Chicks party?
It's a limited one plank platform focused on a single issue, but the cause is just. :gomer:

I only affiliate myself with girls who will talk to me, so there would have to be changes to the current hot chick platform before I got on board.

:gomer:

oddlycalm
04-03-10, 10:31 PM
I only affiliate myself with girls who will talk to me
Do you require they speak in whole sentences? :gomer:

oc

Michaelhatesfans
04-03-10, 10:59 PM
Do you require they speak in whole sentences? :gomer:

oc

A full set of teeth, and I'm usually ok.

pchall
04-04-10, 12:05 PM
A local note on the stupidity of some politicians -- 5 out of 9 city council members here did not know what a Kindle Reader was or could do when it was proposed that they be bought for council and other key members of city government and staffers as a way of reducing photocopying costs and cutting paper waste in city business. As one council member said in discussion of the idea of buying more than one hundred Kindles for city business, "$27,000 would pay for a lot of photocopying." :rofl:

cameraman
04-04-10, 12:12 PM
A local note on the stupidity of some politicians -- 5 out of 9 city council members here did not know what a Kindle Reader was or could do when it was proposed that they be bought for council and other key members of city government and staffers as a way of cutting photocopying costs and paper waste in city business.

So what is the advantage over the laptop they already own?

oddlycalm
04-04-10, 06:47 PM
"$27,000 would pay for a lot of photocopying." :rofl:
:laugh: Yup, a mind like a steel trap.... that rusted up outside in the rain for 5yrs. :D

Like cameraman I'm not sure the Kindle is the right tool for the job but that doesn't take away from the amusement.

oc

Methanolandbrats
04-04-10, 10:21 PM
All they gotta do is give the Corp of Engineers a few billion to design huge outriggers for all the islands. Problem solved and no worries :thumbup:

Gnam
04-05-10, 12:54 AM
This is all a viral ad campaign for the season finale of 'Lost'. :p

SurfaceUnits
04-05-10, 12:05 PM
I have nothing but despair when I see things like this. I really don't think we are capable of governing ourselves. Tyranny is inevitable because it will be necessary.

I just keep thinking about Golgafrincham.

where's Julia Carson when you need her:rofl:

Steve99
04-05-10, 03:00 PM
All they gotta do is give the Corp of Engineers a few billion to design huge outriggers for all the islands. Problem solved and no worries :thumbup:

I think the Congressman has a drawing (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v2pOgslN3m4/S7oYaqNoRlI/AAAAAAAAi-I/I10-dW5c4aw/s1600/Guam_by_Hank_Johnson.GIF)that will help them get started:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v2pOgslN3m4/S7oYaqNoRlI/AAAAAAAAi-I/I10-dW5c4aw/s1600/Guam_by_Hank_Johnson.GIF

Methanolandbrats
04-05-10, 03:46 PM
I think the Congressman has a drawing (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v2pOgslN3m4/S7oYaqNoRlI/AAAAAAAAi-I/I10-dW5c4aw/s1600/Guam_by_Hank_Johnson.GIF)that will help them get started:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v2pOgslN3m4/S7oYaqNoRlI/AAAAAAAAi-I/I10-dW5c4aw/s1600/Guam_by_Hank_Johnson.GIF:laugh:

Indy
04-05-10, 07:04 PM
where's Julia Carson when you need her:rofl:

That may the first time anyone has ever uttered that question. :D

coolhand
04-08-10, 03:12 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_v2pOgslN3m4/S7oYaqNoRlI/AAAAAAAAi-I/I10-dW5c4aw/s1600/Guam_by_Hank_Johnson.GIF

That's racist:gomer: