PDA

View Full Version : Appliance rebates?!?

dando
03-30-10, 12:37 PM
OK, so the Feds are doling out buck$ and I'm in the market for a water heater (tired of listening to the wife complain there's no hot water, but I've never run into the issue :irked:). In any case, I went to reserve a rebate figuring the tankless water heaters would be included in the rebate. Only to find that not a single gas or electric tankless water heater is included in the program?!? Wiskey Tango Foxtrot ?!? :saywhat: :mad: :shakehead

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-30-10, 01:11 PM
Only to find that not a single gas or electric tankless water heater is included in the program?!? Wiskey Tango Foxtrot ?!? :saywhat: :mad: :shakehead

-Kevin

ouch. sorry to hear. I've been telling everyone to get them. My friend installed it in his new house and I was mightly impressed. It takes a couple secs to get the hot water, but compared to my house which has a crawlspace and no basement, it is comparable. (just for you nrc.. ;) actually, I typed it, then saw what i did and laughed and knew it had to stay. Yer not the only one.)

They are the wave of the future. I'd love to get one for the restaurant, alas its not my building and not my gear

dando
03-30-10, 01:24 PM
ouch. sorry to hear. I've been telling everyone to get them. My friend installed it in his new house and I was mightly impressed.

What kills me is that the 'purpose' of the program is to stimulate the economy and encourage folks to upgrade to energy efficient appliances. :confused: :saywhat: *grumbles*

-Kevin

G.
03-30-10, 01:26 PM
What vote-getter appliances ARE part of the program?

dando
03-30-10, 01:36 PM
What vote-getter appliances ARE part of the program?

Here's the list for oHIo:

http://www.ohioappliancerebate.com/EligibleAppliances.html

The really sad part is that the model I want to purchase is a Rheem...an American company no less.

-Kevin

Elmo T
03-30-10, 02:22 PM
Maybe a solar panel to power the works?

extramundane
03-30-10, 02:31 PM
Hmmm....gas tankless units are supposed* to be included in VA- must be a state-by-state thing.

*It doesn't start here for another month so "supposed" is subject to change. By that point, our AG will probably have filed suit against the Department Of Energy just out of spite.

dando
03-30-10, 03:26 PM

Dude, this is oHIo, yo. 30% sunny and 70% cloudy. :saywhat: I'd be better off with one of them windmills y'all have around Somerset, PA. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
03-30-10, 06:02 PM
The Feds will give you a tax credit of 30% of the cost of a tankless up to a max of $1500. You just file form 5695 with your tax return. Just filed mine for last year.

Fed tankless tax credit (http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6494&p_created=1254235451&p_sid=r*oTJ9Jj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=6496&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MSwxJnBfcHJvZHM9MCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnB fY3Y9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9NjQ5NA**&p_li=&p_topview=1)

oc

racermike
03-30-10, 07:20 PM

My dad in Portland, has had an extra tank connected to water heater, that is tied into solar panels on the roof. He had all this installed back in 1987, and it still works flawlessly.

dando
08-02-10, 05:20 PM
Turns out the oHIo program was out sourced to a Central America call center. Brilliant! :shakehead

-Kevin

devilmaster
08-02-10, 05:52 PM
Turns out the oHIo program was out sourced to a Central America call center. Brilliant! :shakehead

-Kevin

Well, someone probably said, "Central America.... that's still in the US of A....

But seriously, I'll never get why tankless aren't mandated on new builds. Less space, less energy, less waste, less metal used to build and less to recycle when they croak. I don't see a downside here...

Insomniac
08-03-10, 09:10 AM
Well, someone probably said, "Central America.... that's still in the US of A....

But seriously, I'll never get why tankless aren't mandated on new builds. Less space, less energy, less waste, less metal used to build and less to recycle when they croak. I don't see a downside here...

Initial cost?

dando
08-03-10, 09:45 AM
Initial cost?

Yup. Tank heaters run about 1/3 of the cost than tankless heaters. Builders install builder-grade crap, which can cost even less than that. :saywhat: :irked:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
08-03-10, 10:15 AM

Two reasons why they aren't mandated. First, as was noted above, builders love putting the cheapest piece of crap possible on a house. Second, the natural gas distribution companies will lobby any sort of change like that since regular tanked heaters account for a significant part of their revenue. Also, a tankless water heater can push a residential house over the max BTU a regular residential gas meter can read, so the gas company needs to spend extra money on a larger meter, which they also don't like doing.

cameraman
08-03-10, 11:56 AM
Also they have far more stringent exhaust requirements. They require stainless steel vents and the exhaust is quite hot.

Also they require electricity, no hot water during a blackout.

I also noticed that they increase water usage as your wife's showers are no longer limited by 40 gallons of hot water....

devilmaster
08-03-10, 01:24 PM
:laugh:

ok, I shoulda said "I don't know why they're not mandated because most of the initial issues will be solved soon enough."

A higher demand for them would naturally bring the price down. And of course you highlight that you get that money back in gas/electric savings by not heating stuff while you're out.

I never thought of the limitless supply of hot water and therefore the limitless length of female shower argument, so there is that... ;)

Still if anyone is building their own house, I recommend them.