PDA

View Full Version : Today I became a Tivohead...

dando
03-28-10, 12:35 PM
So I finally bit the bullet and pulled the plug on ReplayTV (well one unit for now, the other to go soon). 11 years and four hard drives later.... :( Anyway, if there are any tips & tricks you other Tivoheads can suggest, I'd appreciate it. I don't have a manual for the S3 I bought on eBay a while ago (cheap bastard :gomer:). My first question is if there is anyway to disable the bloop, bloop sound it makes confirming selections. :saywhat:

-Kevin

nrc
03-28-10, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the TiVolution.

Go to Messages & Settings, the Settings, then Audio. There's an option for Sound Effects Volume.

Or just let your kids figure it out for you. :gomer:

nrc
03-28-10, 02:24 PM
User guides are available here:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1333/kw/user guide/c/112/r_id/100041

If you prefer 30 second skip to using FF for skipping commercials, instructions on enabling it are here:
http://www.weaknees.com/30/

You don't mention if you're planning to use cable cards, but if you do the S3 will require two cable cards since they don't support M cards as multi-stream cards. That's the only downside to the S3 vs the HD.

dando
03-28-10, 02:38 PM
Or just let your kids figure it out for you. :gomer:

3 yo just started to figure out the ReplayTV/Harmony remote last week. She's almost more educated than my mom now. :D :saywhat:

Looks like a bunch of firmware updates are in my future since I'm on version 8.x and 10.x is the latest and greatest. I managed to find another S3 for $250 this AM with a 1TB HD upgrade....no need for a DVR Expander for me. :) So far so good, and yes a cable card install has been scheduled for tomorrow AM. SD is just heinous on this new LCD display. It was so much more better on the old DLP set. :(

-Kevin

nrc
03-28-10, 02:58 PM
Lots of folks are dumping S3/HD units right now because the new Premiere unit just came out.

Internal expansion is better than the DVR expander. The way TiVo pairs the expander to the unit you're at risk of losing everything if the expander goes bad.

oddlycalm
03-29-10, 05:19 AM
So I finally bit the bullet and pulled the plug on ReplayTV (well one unit for now, the other to go soon).

If one of your Replays has lifetime activation you may want to keep it for search duty. The S3 is a good box but it doesn't allow you to search for season/series premiere or finale nor any of the other Replay Zones searches. We kept one box around just for the searches since it wasn't costing us anything. Saves a lot of time.

oc

dando
03-29-10, 09:38 AM
If one of your Replays has lifetime activation you may want to keep it for search duty. The S3 is a good box but it doesn't allow you to search for season/series premiere or finale nor any of the other Replay Zones searches. We kept one box around just for the searches since it wasn't costing us anything. Saves a lot of time.

oc

Dude, why do you think I kept these boxes for 11 years? $300 w/lifetime included. :thumbup: Good thought on keeping one alive....I've already contemplated how to integrate the Mrs. to the Tivolution, so I was already planning to keep her Replay box connected (her first comment when I demoed the Netflix on demand feature was 'how much is this going to cost us?' and of course her complaining about the aging DVRs and Harmony remote prompted me to 'upgrade' :saywhat: :gomer:)

So my first funness with TWC & Tivo was a call @ 8am from the cablecard installer was that I need to get a switched video adapter from Tivo. This was then followed by a call an hour later from another rep from TWC that they are looking for a card and will do the install b/w 3-4. :saywhat: :irked: More fun to ensue fo shizzle.... :shakehead

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
03-29-10, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the Tivolution. For the record, I like the boop boop sound our remote makes. Reminds me of an old video game. :)

nrc
03-29-10, 04:51 PM
So my first funness with TWC & Tivo was a call @ 8am from the cablecard installer was that I need to get a switched video adapter from Tivo. This was then followed by a call an hour later from another rep from TWC that they are looking for a card and will do the install b/w 3-4. :saywhat: :irked: More fun to ensue fo shizzle.... :shakehead

-Kevin

uuuuuuh. The switched video adapter has to come from the cable provider. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but TWC switched video adapters are notoriously unreliable. :(

There may be light at the end of the tunnel. The new broadband plan really takes the hammer to cable providers for crippling cable card and foiling the whole effort to create digital cable ready devices. Just have to hope that it survives all the cable lobby attacks.

oddlycalm
03-29-10, 07:59 PM
The new broadband plan really takes the hammer to cable providers for crippling cable card and foiling the whole effort to create digital cable ready devices. Just have to hope that it survives all the cable lobby attacks.
Amen to that. Well past time to do away with proprietary devices that don't enhance anything for the end user.

oc

dando
03-30-10, 09:15 AM
uuuuuuh. The switched video adapter has to come from the cable provider. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but TWC switched video adapters are notoriously unreliable. :(

There may be light at the end of the tunnel. The new broadband plan really takes the hammer to cable providers for crippling cable card and foiling the whole effort to create digital cable ready devices. Just have to hope that it survives all the cable lobby attacks.

TWC funness update....so they called back and rescheduled for later in the today. Apparently that they decided they had the necessary equipment. :saywhat: So two guys show up and are going to replace my cable modem and fix a signal issue as well (for which there have been three other trips out to fix, but couldn't find or fix the cause). Turns out the signal boosters they previously installed were hooked up backwards. :irked: In any case the cable card guy spends ~ an hour getting the cards installed, but is having issues getting the Tivo to download the latest guide 411 (while I'm getting dinner ready and periodically checking in). In the meantime, our 6 yo decides she wants to play on the computer, so I help her get to a Di$ney site...no dice. Turns out they managed to disconnect the network hub in the basement. :laugh: :shakehead :saywhat:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
03-30-10, 06:19 PM
TWC funness update... Do you think they would work more efficiently at gun point....? :\ :shakehead

Last time we had trouble with our cable the Comcast genius decided that our coax connectors (of which there are many) were the culprit and insisted on changing all of them. 2hrs later he gets them all changed and the situation is the same. Then he gets on the phone and talks to someone and, as if by magic, the situation is resolved. He gets this look on his face like a kid that just crapped his drawers and off he goes to goof up someone else's life. :irked:

oc

dando
03-30-10, 09:42 PM
Do you think they would work more efficiently at gun point....? :\ :shakehead

Sadly this installer appeared to be more competent than the rest of the bunch that have visited us w/in the past year. :shakehead :saywhat: I fear that if I had a weapon pointed @ him I would be cleaning up a puddle like the ones from the new puppy we adopted a few weeks ago (what was I thinking?!?). :mad:

In any case my first impressions are that I will miss the 12 hour skip forward :( and the lack of search will hurt in the long run. :cry: Otherwise, its pretty much what I expected...pretty interface with the new on demand bits as a nice addition. Too early to give an opinion on the season pass capabilities.

-Kevin

nrc
03-30-10, 10:03 PM
In any case my first impressions are that I will miss the 12 hour skip forward :( and the lack of search will hurt in the long run. :cry: Otherwise, its pretty much what I expected...pretty interface with the new on demand bits as a nice addition. Too early to give an opinion on the season pass capabilities.

Lack of search?

dando
03-31-10, 08:53 AM
Lack of search?

ReplayTV has a far more robust search engine built in...hence oc's comment to keep a Replay box running to use for searches.

-Kevin

nrc
03-31-10, 12:54 PM
ReplayTV has a far more robust search engine built in...hence oc's comment to keep a Replay box running to use for searches.

-Kevin

Heh. Ok, I'm sure you'll get used to it. Be sure you check out Wish Lists, TiVo Search, and Guru Guides.

oddlycalm
03-31-10, 04:05 PM
Lack of search?
Different search might be more accurate. If you combined the search functions on the TiVo with those on the Replay you would really have it covered. Replay allowed searches by director, keyword, actor and title, or all of the above, in it's main search area. In addition it has a Zones function that allows search by dozens of categories so you can find handy information like series or season premiers and series and season finales as well as movies by quality rating age rating and just about any other criteria you can think of. It's one of those functions that once you've used it you don't want to lose it.

Keeping a lifetime activation Replay box working somewhere in the house is worth it even if the utility of the point and shoot recording from the search results is gone. I'm still hoping TiVo with duplicate some of those functions in the future.

oc

dando
03-31-10, 04:20 PM
Keeping a lifetime activation Replay box working somewhere in the house is worth it even if the utility of the point and shoot recording from the search results is gone. I'm still hoping TiVo with duplicate some of those functions in the future.

oc

Looks like they have a new search function (http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/howto_tivoSearch.html) in beta.

So far so good...I've just had my cheese moved. :irked: Now I need to figure out how to get more Netflix listings in my queue on the Tivo. Looks like it has a hard limit on how many flix it displays, but no option to display more or access the queue directly. :confused: Of course the Mrs. and Nana have been using it more than I have (Dancing with the Stars, Idol, etc.). :saywhat: :yuck:

-Kevin

-Kevin

nrc
03-31-10, 06:21 PM
Different search might be more accurate. If you combined the search functions on the TiVo with those on the Replay you would really have it covered. Replay allowed searches by director, keyword, actor and title, or all of the above, in it's main search area.

That's all in Wish Lists. You can create a Wish List for all those things and then either just check the results or have them auto-record.

In addition it has a Zones function that allows search by dozens of categories so you can find handy information like series or season premiers and series and season finales as well as movies by quality rating age rating and just about any other criteria you can think of. It's one of those functions that once you've used it you don't want to lose it.

Some of that is in Guru Guides - Kids programming, top rated movies, etc. Not the same thing, but very helpful. The DirecTV TiVos used to have Premiere and Finale categories but for some reason the stand alones never have.

nrc
03-31-10, 07:03 PM
Looks like they have a new search function (http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/getthemostoutoftv/howto_tivoSearch.html) in beta.

If you're connected to the interwebs the beta search is available in your showcases section. You can set it as available in place of Swivel Search.

The nice thing with the beta Search feature for Netflix users is that it exposes the entire Netflix catalogue for search and playing instantly.

oddlycalm
03-31-10, 08:27 PM

So far so good...I've just had my cheese moved.
Yeah, the interface is a bit different and functions are in different places, but a couple weeks from now you won't remember the transition. We've liked the S3's just fine. The wife had an S1 so for her there was not much transition.

The ability to share programs between two TiVo boxes or storing them on a computer using TiVo desktop is handy.

oc

Don Quixote
03-31-10, 09:18 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread, except to say that I don't understand any of the above. :gomer:

dando
03-31-10, 09:26 PM
I really have nothing to contribute to this thread, except to say that I don't understand any of the above. :gomer:

So you're still alive. I thought you jumped after the game Fri. :( :p

-Kevin

nrc
03-31-10, 11:18 PM
The ability to share programs between two TiVo boxes or storing them on a computer using TiVo desktop is handy.

He has Time Warner so he probably can't copy anything but locals. :irked:

I, on the other hand, have WOW so I have about 20 of our favorite movies and the entire Bengals season plus Hard Knocks all in HD saved off to a ReadyNAS Duo.

Oh yes, itsa very nice.

dando
04-01-10, 09:05 AM
He has Time Warner so he probably can't copy anything but locals. :irked:

I, on the other hand, have WOW so I have about 20 of our favorite movies and the entire Bengals season plus Hard Knocks all in HD saved off to a ReadyNAS Duo.

Oh yes, itsa very nice.

Do tell. I haven't gotten to the desktop stuff yet, and prolly won't have a chance until next weekend.

-Kevin

Gangrel
04-01-10, 10:38 AM
Recommend putting it on wireless adapter and connecting to home network. Never been a fan of having it use the phone line for connection. Also, if you get a second S3 or HD box, you can transfer programming between boxes and download to PC, then burn to DVD. Also good if you want to use your TiVo account online to send programming instructions to the TiVo, so if you think of something while at work that you want to record, you can set it up from your desk.

dando
04-01-10, 10:48 AM
Recommend putting it on wireless adapter and connecting to home network. Never been a fan of having it use the phone line for connection. Also, if you get a second S3 or HD box, you can transfer programming between boxes and download to PC, then burn to DVD. Also good if you want to use your TiVo account online to send programming instructions to the TiVo, so if you think of something while at work that you want to record, you can set it up from your desk.

We have both wired and wireless network. :) Also have a second box on the way w/upgraded 1TB HD to act as a server (1 box to be SD only, but I'll have HD capability off the main box). :cool: I used the online scheduling for the first time yesterday, and it worked great. ReplayTV was actually the first to offer online scheduling, but only updated the box after the overnight connection rather than 'real-time' (@ least for the first gen boxes that I have used for the past decade). Tivo to desktop and reverse is my next dragon to slay after I re-wire the family room theater setup (and move 10 cu. yards of mulch). :(

-Kevin

Gangrel
04-01-10, 11:17 AM
One thing to watch out for...in order to burn programming, you will need to use Roxio Creator. Version 2010 is really buggy. I still am unable to get it to work. It is not a TiVo problem, it is a Roxio problem, but if you encounter it and find a solution, let me know. :D

We have both wired and wireless network. :) Also have a second box on the way w/upgraded 1TB HD to act as a server (1 box to be SD only, but I'll have HD capability off the main box). :cool: I used the online scheduling for the first time yesterday, and it worked great. ReplayTV was actually the first to offer online scheduling, but only updated the box after the overnight connection rather than 'real-time' (@ least for the first gen boxes that I have used for the past decade). Tivo to desktop and reverse is my next dragon to slay after I re-wire the family room theater setup (and move 10 cu. yards of mulch). :(

-Kevin

dando
04-05-10, 02:35 PM

<grumbles> First fun encountered with the SVA today. Channels unavailable via the Tivo that are available via the HD STB. Channel shows but then is not available after a few seconds. :saywhat: :irked: </grumbles> Wow may not be too far off...especially since I'm no longer part of the mother ship. :cool:

-Kevin

nrc
04-06-10, 01:27 AM
I had my first disappointment with WOW this weekend when I discovered that they dropped HDNET and HDNET Movies. :irked:

The FCC has proposed to replace tuning adapters with an network based mechanism to talk back to the headend. The cable industry will probably fight it tooth and nail.

dando
04-06-10, 10:38 AM
Got the second box activated and switched the Mrs. over to Tivo yesterday (after spending 30 minutes on calls with 3 Tivo reps because their online system didn't work switching the initial sub to lifetime :irked:). TWC is coming out today to swap the cable cards. The only issue that I have now is that I can see each DVR on the network, but not the content on them (the boxes say their isn't anything recorded on them, which isn't true). :saywhat:

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-06-10, 11:30 AM
http://x8d.xanga.com/408d94455823545567638/b11483199.png

dando
04-06-10, 01:04 PM
http://x8d.xanga.com/408d94455823545567638/b11483199.png

You've obviously been sniffing that wacky weed they smoke up in Boulder, or yer suffering from oxygen deprivation. :gomer: :p

-Kevin

oddlycalm
04-06-10, 02:20 PM
TWC is coming out today to swap the cable cards.
Someone needs to write some official background music for cable card swaps. You know, something resembling the perky road/traveling music in old films. :D We had one poor guy that was here all afternoon. By the time he was done he had the two cards that were originally in S3 #1 in S3 #2 and vice versa after trying every possible combination.

oc

dando
04-06-10, 02:25 PM
Someone needs to write some official background music for cable card swaps. You know, something resembling the perky road/traveling music in old films. :D We had one poor guy that was here all afternoon. By the time he was done he had the two cards that were originally in S3 #1 in S3 #2 and vice versa after trying every possible combination.

oc

I'm actually going to play Dueling Banjos while the tech is here. Might even have Deliverance playing from Netflix. :gomer:

-Kevin

G.
04-06-10, 02:48 PM
I had no idea that getting a Tivo was akin to joining a cult.

May the Pause Live TV be with you.

KLang
04-06-10, 02:56 PM

May the Pause Live TV be with you.

My Dish DVR's just work! :)

That is until the hard drive craps out. :irked: Happened twice in last couple months.

dando
04-06-10, 02:56 PM

More like joining a sorority...just the hazing is a bit less severe. :gomer:

-Kevin

oddlycalm
04-06-10, 04:05 PM
The TiVo part is pretty smooth G., it's the cable companies and their proprietary hardware fetish that poison the well for all of us. They keep repeating the mantra that everything would work great if you just rented their stunted DVR for $7.50/month ad nauseum.

oc

nrc
04-06-10, 07:35 PM
My Dish DVR's just work! :)

Well, for now... (http://www.multichannel.com/article/450755-Dish_Faces_April_30_Deadline_In_TiVo_Case.php)

KLang
04-06-10, 08:11 PM
Well, for now... (http://www.multichannel.com/article/450755-Dish_Faces_April_30_Deadline_In_TiVo_Case.php)

That suit doesn't cover any of the current HD models. So far anyway....